Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

6 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I need come clarification on the pre June 1 vs post June 1 cut ramifications. 

McGee cap hit for 2018 is 4.8. If we cut him pre june 1, there would be 3.2 in dead money w 1.6 in cap savings. Post june 1 cut, 800k in dead money w 1 M in savings. 

McClain cap hit for 2018 is 4.6. pre june 1 cut = 3.7 dead money and 937k in savings. Post june 1 cut = 1.2 in dead money w 3.4 in savings. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

Questions:

1. Am I reading this right? If yes, how does that work? 

2. No brainer that Mc boys are a post june 1 cut, right? 

I dont think we will let either guy go until after camp anyways. We need camp bodies if nothing else.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

I dont think we will let either guy go until after camp anyways. We need camp bodies if nothing else.

And the savings of $2-3 million between the two of them just aren't worth it at this point. I know McClain disappointed so he's the one I could see if they were to cut one, but even with him, you may want to see how he performs in Year 2. But yeah, camp bodies. Because if you sign Wilkerson/Richardson and draft a DL in the 2nd or 4th round, you likely need to part with one of them anyway, and that's likely McClain, but not until after camp to have bodies and keep around in case of injuries.

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

Ndamukong Suh >>>>>>>>>> Wilkerson and Richardson combined

Big reason that's a big no for me:

1. Age: Richardson and Wilkerson are 27-28 ... Suh is 31

2. Scheme Fit: Suh is a 4-3 DT, not a 3-4 DE or NT

3. Cost: Wilkerson and Richardson SHOULD be in the $8-10m APY range. Suh is likely to get $13-15 APY ... too rich for give point 1 & 2

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Ndamukong Suh >>>>>>>>>> Wilkerson and Richardson combined

I have a Donkey Kong t-shirt.  If for no other reason than to wear that if he sacks Cam.

We do play the south this year, I believe.

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

And the savings of $2-3 million between the two of them just aren't worth it at this point. I know McClain disappointed so he's the one I could see if they were to cut one, but even with him, you may want to see how he performs in Year 2. But yeah, camp bodies. Because if you sign Wilkerson/Richardson and draft a DL in the 2nd or 4th round, you likely need to part with one of them anyway, and that's likely McClain, but not until after camp to have bodies and keep around in case of injuries.

Big reason that's a big no for me:

1. Age: Richardson and Wilkerson are 27-28 ... Suh is 31

2. Scheme Fit: Suh is a 4-3 DT, not a 3-4 DE or NT

3. Cost: Wilkerson and Richardson SHOULD be in the $8-10m APY range. Suh is likely to get $13-15 APY ... too rich for give point 1 & 2

Richardson and Wilkerson aren't in the same boat as Suh in terms of ability... We play in the 4-3 more often than 3-4 and Suh doesn't take plays off like the two boneheads.

Suh changes the entire defense.

The way I understand it ... and I could be wrong ... but take the guaranteed money and make the calculations.

If McGee is owed $4m guaranteed over the remaining contract and were cut today, we'd still have $4m taken off this year's cap and he'd be off the books beyond this year. If he's a post-June 1 designation, you take that and split it. So he'd be owed $2m on this year's cap and $2m on next year's cap.

I stated earlier that given the Smith contract, and the likely additions in FA this year, we're probably best off parting with them as cuts now if we are going to do it. We'll be right up against the cap next year and pushing guaranteed $$ to next year for the sake of some wiggle room this year isn't a great idea, especially with Preston Smith, Brandon Scherff, and others being due contracts very soon.

I think you answered it exactly right. Something has to be done about McGee and McClain. They were just bodies last year but I dont mind carrying them for this year and giving them 1 more year.  

Unless they have breakout years, no way they see the 5.7 for McGee and 4.8 for McClain in 2019.  

39 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Guys, I learned two things this FA period. 

1. This legal tampering periods is just stupid. I don't see the upside at all. FA already started...

2. I need to get as many sons as possible and train them to become QB's. Only one needs to be successful to make it able for me to stop working in my 50's. 

the legal tampering period is designed so there's news as soon as free agency starts and so the league doesn't have to punish anyone when there's news as soon as free agency starts

There are a lot of options at ILB. Will be interested to see how we value it. Obviously by reading the tea-leaves, we are focusing on building the DL which I love. It definitely frees up ILB more for us in Round 1, though I understand the team devalues the position a bit more than most might. Truth be told, a strong DL makes for a strong ILB core regardless of who is there. But I wouldn't be shocked if we went into the draft rolling with a vet like Navarro Bowman alongside Foster ... then wait and address ILB in the 3rd (if we trade back) or 4th for a guy like Josey Jewell or Micah Kiser from UVA.

Hope the board doesn't go into melt-down mode if we don't bring in a $8m APY ILB. There are solutions out there besides the top guy (s) ... see Zach Brown from last year (though I would like consistency, obviously).

2 minutes ago, dyst said:

Count me in as someone that liked Rose when he kicked for us.

Whats interesting is that we kept the guy that Scot brought in. If we are to believe the ego stories then I'd think that Bruce would want to keep his guy. Honestly, I don't see the point of this deal. Hopkins has shown he's a decent kicker and he didn't have a bad year this year, but he's not somebody I'd put in the top tier of kickers.

That said, having stability on this team is big to me and with the cap going up, the 2 mil per season is still just above league minimum so I can't be too mad.

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

Whats interesting is that we kept the guy that Scot brought in. If we are to believe the ego stories then I'd think that Bruce would want to keep his guy. Honestly, I don't see the point of this deal. Hopkins has shown he's a decent kicker and he didn't have a bad year this year, but he's not somebody I'd put in the top tier of kickers.

That said, having stability on this team is big to me and with the cap going up, the 2 mil per season is still just above league minimum so I can't be too mad.

I cant argue this, just given our cap space and number of holes we could have found a cheaper, just as effective alternative.  But I guess continuity counts for something.

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

It seemed like Nick Rose did well enough to justify being brought into camp to compete for Hopkins, and if Hopkins didn't like it and threatened to walk? So be it, we could go with Rose.

Either way we will need a good kicker smith has thrown for only 22 or more tds twice in his entire career I’m expecting a lotta checkdown din the redzone on 3rd and 5+ 

Bradham was integral to the Eagles' Super Bowl-winning defense, emerging not just as one of the most respected leaders on the team, but stepping up and calling out the signals of the defense after middle linebacker Jordan Hicks tore his achilles tendon in Week 7, and doing so from the SAM spot. 

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2018/03/source_8-10_teams_interested_in_eagles_nigel_bradham.html

8-10 teams in the mix .... 

Bradham is one of the types of free agents I really like ...I can imagine the Eagles will try and retain him, but they are getting to the point of cap heck - kind of reminds me of a Marcus Washington like acquisition... good player allowed to warm for genuine cap issues 

Archived