Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Those have been my thoughts this whole time as you know. Both guys are going to get paid way more then they should because of the rule in the NFL that teams must spend a percentage of its cap money. I mean we are talking about some teams with 100 million bucks to spend here. Anyone who is any good in FA will be paid incredible amounts of money, which is why I beat the hell out of the compensatory pick drum for weeks hoping to start up a groundswell to be noticed by Bruce that never happened. Why be players for these average guys and pay them like they are good? It doesn't make any sense. Hopefully if they do overpay which I think everyone is gonna get overpaid this year, if they do overpay they do so only for it's own players. If they did that while it may suck to give someone like Brown 6 million a season (not worth it) that at least gets them some comp picks next draft. Bruce will all but certain do the wrong thing because he sucks and overpay for other teams players destroying the chance for any extra picks because that is what Bruce Allen does - the wrong thing. And overpaying for average players is a Bruce Allen thing he does every year. 

I'll start with a point that isn't directed you.  The idea that Bruce Allen doesn't spend in FA is a fallacy.  He pretty much spends up to the cap every year.   He mostly likes to collect quantity in FA and hopes to get lucky with guys who aren't high end and strike gold if they emerge.   He strikes gold on occasion but mostly doesn't.  That approach has mostly been mediocre at best.   If its about signing Andre Roberts, McGee, etc.  Then to your point, I'd rather have comp picks.

The way I see it and I noticed some others here feel the same -- go get 2-3 really good players.  Spend the same amount but go quality over quantity if they fit needs and you feel like you are close to the promised land.   Being close to the promised land is the operative point.   And indications are that's how they feel.  If the team was rebuilding I'd feel differently.

There is a false premise put up by some that people are clamoring for bigger name signings are espousing the Vinny method.  But that's ridiculous.  It's a straw man argument.   Vinny's FA was about backloading contracts to spend OVER the cap repeatedly.  And character be damned.  And age be damned.  

The point relating to Bruce and FA.  (sorry to the vegeterians but its the best analogy that hit me).  Do we want 6 burgers or 2 steaks.  It ends up costing the same amount of money.  So its not about spending but approach.

Now to circle to your point.  You pick players that i like and call them average.  So that's the debate pure and simple.  Yeah if Richardson was just a guy, you'd be dead on.  But for my taste I am debating a false premise.  I am not even going to the higher end of the market.  Richardson to me is like a Swearinger type signing.  You aren't paying for the top safety on the market but Swearinger was a young emerging player who after a rough start emerged in his last season.  I like guys like that in FA.  If I saw them as just average like an Andre Roberts or McGee -- I'd be closer to your point. 

4 minutes ago, Sknsnation said:

Beau Allen says goodbye to Eagles - name to watch tomorrow #Redskins fans

Seems like another rotational body for the interior D line.  

if we pay him anything over 2.5 M, I think this is another Paea, McClain, McGee, Reyes approach (which has solved nothing)... and with the interest this guy is getting from multiple teams, I dont think under 2.5 M will get it done. 

Paea, McClain, McGee and Reyes were such bad pick ups .. I dont think signing rotational guys to low end starter money is the right approach. 

Man. Thats steep for a one year wonder. But I guess you have to pay in this inflated WR FA market. At least we have someone to take the top off of a defense now. Good signing. And the price we paid saves the 3rd round comp pick for Cousins as well. 

So, assuming it's an $8M cap hit this year (give or take a couple mil based on structuring), we're working with $15M now... I'd allow the FO a scrub signing (e.g. Beau Allen) if they also land a stud. I don't want to see the remainder pissed away on 4 C- players.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love it.  With all the energy I put into this thread pumping Richardson up and defending him.  I got to get that dude's jersey now. :ols:

Loving it too, SIP. :):)  I know you've watched videos of Richardson but all Skins fans need to.  They guy makes routine acrobatic catches and has speed to burn.  Now, as to Beau Allen, he'd be a true NT and I'd be happier with his signing vs Wilkerson's signing.  Allen supposedly a target of ours.

5 minutes ago, CTskin said:

So, assuming it's an $8M cap hit this year (give or take a couple mil based on structuring), we're working with $15M now... I'd allow the FO a scrub signing (e.g. Beau Allen) if they also land a stud. I don't want to see the remainder pissed away on 4 C- players.

I'd bet it breaks down to $5-7-8 for guarantees. Basically a 3 year deal. Year 1 cap hit probably $6m, then $8m, then $9m, then $9m and $8m

And that will basically translate to a 3 year $23m deal

OR it's $4m - $6m - $7m - $3m guarantee with contracts of $5m, $7m, $8m, $10m, $10m overall annual contract numbers with basically being a 4 year $30m deal or a 3 year deal and you take a $3m cap hit after year 3.

I see this being a contract that lasts all 5 years though. Year 5 for $10m would be great value for accelarated cap in 2023.

Per some OTC analysis, I'd say that these deals typcially end up being $2m below APY in year 1 and 2 and then $2m above APY in year 4 and 5 with Year 3 being what they APY was. Not "backloaded" but it gives wiggle-room up front.

So I'd expect a $5m cap hit this year.

Archived