Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Just now, kiingspadee said:

Fully guaranteed is going to be bad for the NFL. Now every player who is looking for a big payday will do so

Fully guaranteed is going to be bad for the NFL. Now every player who is looking for a big payday will do so

Changed the dynamics of FA forever!  You had better be a great college talent evaluator and have as many picks in the first 3 rounds as you can in order to be a contender.  That's what I see because today I think history was made in the NFL and of all people I would have never thought it would have been Kirk Cousins.  WoW!

I'll say it again ... Allen Robinson was a pipe dream. Amazin if we could have landed him, but I always felt he'd go to Chicago or San Fran. Sammy Watkins ... well I didn't think he'd leave LA ... but I wasn't high on him. He has upside, but I want a more sure-thing.

Again, I think this team is convinced Doctson is a true #1 with the targets he should be getting with Smith. We have a slot guy in Crowder and a TE when healthy that takes a ton of targets, as well as an RB in Thompson who does the same. If Doctson is our true WR1, we have plenty of weapons behind him. What we are missing is a top-speed, defense stretching guy at WR. That is why I think our targets all along are:

- Paul Richardson

- Taylor Gabriel

- Brice Butler

- Donte Moncrief

WRs are expensive. Even average ones (see Wilson). We need a gadget/deep threat guy that can be the poor-man's Tyreke Hill in this offense. Paul Richardson is the one guy who has the closest potential to reaching what Hill is. Moncrief is probably second in line for that. Gabriel and Butler are guys that will be solid, but never get more than 600-700 yards, but will give the deep threat that we'll need to open things up underneath.

And then there's the draft, where a guy in the 4th or 5th could fit that as well, if we pass in FA. Hill was a 5th rounder after-all with some baggage. Look up Antonio Callaway. He could be someone we get regardless in the latter rounds that could literally become Tyreke Hill.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know if he's plugged in or just speculating but Chris Russell just now said he heard Richardson is the target but there is enough competition for him that he wouldn't count on that happening.    He doesn't think they end up with Wilkerson because his contract will be too rich.

That's the issue with Allen he tries to get bargain prices on talented players.  You can't do that.  Allen has to see what players are signing for and go from there.  He's stubborn and until he gives in during FA things will be this way.  He needs to go out and secure Paul Richardson NOW if he wants him in DC.  It's not that hard but Allen is stubborn.

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

There you have a run plugging nose tackle!

Yes, but will Allen pay the price for him or any player worth their weight of talent?

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'll say it again ... Allen Robinson was a pipe dream. Amazin if we could have landed him, but I always felt he'd go to Chicago or San Fran. Sammy Watkins ... well I didn't think he'd leave LA ... but I wasn't high on him. He has upside, but I want a more sure-thing.

Again, I think this team is convinced Doctson is a true #1 with the targets he should be getting with Smith. We have a slot guy in Crowder and a TE when healthy that takes a ton of targets, as well as an RB in Thompson who does the same. If Doctson is our true WR1, we have plenty of weapons behind him. What we are missing is a top-speed, defense stretching guy at WR. That is why I think our targets all along are:

- Paul Richardson

- Taylor Gabriel

- Brice Butler

- Donte Moncrief

WRs are expensive. Even average ones (see Wilson). We need a gadget/deep threat guy that can be the poor-man's Tyreke Hill in this offense. Paul Richardson is the one guy who has the closest potential to reaching what Hill is. Moncrief is probably second in line for that. Gabriel and Butler are guys that will be solid, but never get more than 600-700 yards, but will give the deep threat that we'll need to open things up underneath.

And then there's the draft, where a guy in the 4th or 5th could fit that as well, if we pass in FA. Hill was a 5th rounder after-all with some baggage. Look up Antonio Callaway. He could be someone we get regardless in the latter rounds that could literally become Tyreke Hill.

Instead of getting the player that best fits Smith and the team, Allen will get the least expensive one.  Not the way a GM should work for a team in desperate need of a top speed WR with outstanding hands (Richardson).

Just now, kiingspadee said:

lol we went from being big spenders in FA to being cheap and timid......

Again, free agency starts tomorrow. The only guys off the board are the #1 LG, an upside but oft-injured Center ...  #1 and #2 WR, and a couple QBs.

And for everyone clamoring for Haloti Ngata signing with Philly ... NO ONE here wanted that. And no one was talking about Star Loutolelei either. Jeez, Ngata hasn't even been a name I've heard in a few years. Relax.

Also, these early signings are the big ones that usually never pay off ... there's hundreds of guys out there to be had. And remember ... our first two signings last year were McClain and McGee and our last two were Swearinger and Zach Brown.

People on here seriously yearn for the days of old when we were the ones making the splashy day 1 moves but they never panned out. So relax.

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

That's the issue with Allen he tries to get bargain prices on talented players.  You can't do that.  Allen has to see what players are signing for and go from there.  He's stubborn and until he gives in during FA things will be this way.  He needs to go out and secure Paul Richardson NOW if he wants him in DC.  It's not that hard but Allen is stubborn.

Yes, but will Allen pay the price for him or any player worth their weight of talent?

No!! @RWJ we want players who take pride in wearing the BURGUNDY and GOLD. Guys who want to wake up on sunday morning already wearing their golden Redskins pants. Guys who will sing ''Brave on the warpath, fight for ol' DC!''. Guys who will take a discount because the REDSKINS ARE THE MOST GLORIUS team in the NFL! We want players who WANT to be REDSKINS because of the REDSKINS, not because of MONEY!!!

large.jpg

From the team side fully guaranteed is bad, but is a huge win for the players. Every other league has fully guaranteed contracts. The NFL has the highest injury rate of them all. I honestly commend Kirk and his agent for doing what they've done, they've set the table for the future. I'm happy for the players. I root for the team but knowing a few of them myself this is tremendous news. They aren't just chess pieces and numbers, they're people.

And it's not something hurts just the Redskins in doing business, every team would be affected, so I'm not worried about what it means for cap in the future. In fact, from what I've read all future guaranteed money currently needs to be help in escrow, so this probably is a bigger boon to large clubs like ourselves vs. more cash poor teams.

As @wilco_holland said earlier, we'll start to see 2-3 year fully or near full guaranteed contracts now rather than 4-5 year deals where the last 2 years mean nothing to either side anyway. 

Article on guaranteed money from August
https://deadspin.com/why-only-the-nfl-doesnt-guarantee-contracts-1797020799

19 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Also, these early signings are the big ones that usually never pay off ... there's hundreds of guys out there to be had. And remember ... our first two signings last year were McClain and McGee and our last two were Swearinger and Zach Brown.

The Redskins struck with 3 out of the 4 FAs pretty fast (McClain-McGee-Swearinger before FA) started.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18864214/washington-redskins-sign-terrell-mcclain

Terrell McClain, D.J. Swearinger to join Redskins

Mar 9, 2017
  • ESPN.com news services

The Washington Redskins will sign free agent defensive lineman Terrell McClain to a four-year deal when the free agency begins at 4 p.m. ET, a source confirmed to ESPN's John Keim.

The Redskins also have signed safety D.J. Swearinger, a source told Keim.

The news of McClain's agreement was first reported by the Dallas Morning News.

19 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

People on here seriously yearn for the days of old when we were the ones making the splashy day 1 moves but they never panned out. So relax.

I agree with the relaxed notion.  We got time.  The only reason why I threw above what they did last year is because that might be a sign that stuff is coming soon for those who are impatient. 

As for the day 1 moves never panning out -- not so including here.  Plenty of them work out well.  But I get the point what I gather you are trying to drive which is its rare to get a bargain on day 1 -- you are almost always overpaying.   The better deals come with patience.  But again the Redskins acted relatively quickly last year.  The Brown-Pryor deals came later.  So I bet some stuff happens soon. 

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know if he's plugged in or just speculating but Chris Russell just now said he heard Richardson is the target but there is enough competition for him that he wouldn't count on that happening.    He doesn't think they end up with Wilkerson because his contract will be too rich.

Those have been my thoughts this whole time as you know. Both guys are going to get paid way more then they should because of the rule in the NFL that teams must spend a percentage of its cap money. I mean we are talking about some teams with 100 million bucks to spend here. Anyone who is any good in FA will be paid incredible amounts of money, which is why I beat the hell out of the compensatory pick drum for weeks hoping to start up a groundswell to be noticed by Bruce that never happened. Why be players for these average guys and pay them like they are good? It doesn't make any sense. Hopefully if they do overpay which I think everyone is gonna get overpaid this year, if they do overpay they do so only for it's own players. If they did that while it may suck to give someone like Brown 6 million a season (not worth it) that at least gets them some comp picks next draft. Bruce will all but certain do the wrong thing because he sucks and overpay for other teams players destroying the chance for any extra picks because that is what Bruce Allen does - the wrong thing. And overpaying for average players is a Bruce Allen thing he does every year. 

17 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Again, free agency starts tomorrow. The only guys off the board are the #1 LG, an upside but oft-injured Center ...  #1 and #2 WR, and a couple QBs.

And for everyone clamoring for Haloti Ngata signing with Philly ... NO ONE here wanted that. And no one was talking about Star Loutolelei either. Jeez, Ngata hasn't even been a name I've heard in a few years. Relax.

Very well said....Norman..our last huge HUGE fee agent signing is enough to last me a few years..let's build through the draft folks..we're just a left guard from having right at the best o line in the league...we can fix that in the second round..if the draft is that loaded with o linemen I guess..

9 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

From the team side fully guaranteed is bad, but is a huge win for the players. Every other league has fully guaranteed contracts. The NFL has the highest injury rate of them all. I honestly commend Kirk and his agent for doing what they've done, they've set the table for the future. I'm happy for the players. I root for the team but knowing a few of them myself this is tremendous news. They aren't just chess pieces and numbers, they're people.

Whats interesting is that KC got it but Brees didn't. We will see what Rogers gives him. Also Joe Thiesman is talking about the structure of the contract and how its not groundbreaking (compared to Carr and Stafford) in terms of guaranteed money. But Keenam and other QBs didn't get these kind of deals. I wonder if the QBs that are a tier below KC will get similar contracts or the standard (albeit inflated) contracts.

Also, keep an eye on some of the $$ going to these positions. And then think about drafting guys who could become the next "thing" but on a contract that would pay them $700k to 4 million per year instead of $10-15 ... that's why you build through the draft! Although I think we have decent depth and need studs. And since we can only really get 2 bonafide studs through the draft (1st and 2nd rounders, usually) ... we need to grab a couple in FA.

Just like how ARob was out of our price range, Richardson will be also. I've said it from the start, this is the off-season to go bargain bin diving for WR. It's a terrible FA class and these 2nd/3rd tier WRs will make #1 WR money. 

I wanted Ngata, goddam Eagles. 

My list:

Moncrief, Jaron Brown, John Brown, Suh, Bradham, Mewhort, Bowman, Poe, Justin Ellis, DaQuan Jones, robey-Coleman, Ealy. 

My Viking side of the family is livid.

10 minutes ago, Sknsnation said:

Beau Allen says goodbye to Eagles - name to watch tomorrow #Redskins fans

Average player. Repeat of McClain/McGee, 3 years $15M. Please no. We haven't made the signing yet or anything, but has this FO really not learned a thing?

Archived