Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

6 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Remember this is the period of FA where teams overpay. Do we want to be in that mix? Hell no. Been there done that. Let it calm down a little. This happens every year and outside of Norwell not one of these guys should be getting what they have gotten so far. Starting to think the Chiefs will get the off season idiots award this year which used to be what the Skins won.

I agree with everything you say except that Norwell is worth 13.3 Mill per year. No Way. And people were laughing at me yesterday when I said someone might kick the tires on Ty Nsekhe. Starting caliber left tackle that could be had for way less than Norwell got IMO.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree with everything you say except that Norwell is worth 13.3 Mill per year. No Way. And people were laughing at me yesterday when I said someone might kick the tires on Ty Nsekhe. Starting caliber left tackle that could be had for way less than Norwell got IMO.

Well the logic for me is he is a top 5 guard so he is going to get that top 5 position money. Tackles yes should get more than that but for what it is Norwell is a stud and was going to get paid no matter what.

10 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Well the logic for me is he is a top 5 guard so he is going to get that top 5 position money. Tackles yes should get more than that but for what it is Norwell is a stud and was going to get paid no matter what.

Yep. Glad it wasnt by us though. :)

Brees and Saints agree to a 2 year deal. 2 years 50 mill. 27 guaranteed. 

Hate to say it given everything we need help with, but this is usually the time-frame that you start addressing the long-term needs of your roster. One area where we need long-term help is OL. Moses and Trent are already being paid Big $$ for their positions and while they may be restructured at some point, we need to have some young talent in the fold there. Same with OG. We need a LG, and with Scherff coming up in a couple years on likely a massive deal, you're going to need to have an insurance policy. If you've got a Guard in the wings, you may not be totally screwed if Scherff opts to go for the big money in FA.

I know this is the FA thread, but just a thought.

I like the second round tender, but am a little concerned with locking Hopkins up for three years. Hopefully, his contract is not so rich that they can't bring in competition. I feel he's missed too many ones that wound up being the difference between winning and losing, plus the injuries.

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I like the second round tender, but am a little concerned with locking Hopkins up for three years. Hopefully, his contract is not so rich that they can't bring in competition. I feel he's missed too many ones that wound up being the difference between winning and losing, plus the injuries.

The tie to the bungles in London=Hopkins..a loss to the cowboys in Dallas=Hopkins..I'm picking up what ur laying down..

Guys, I learned two things this FA period. 

1. This legal tampering periods is just stupid. I don't see the upside at all. FA already started...

2. I need to get as many sons as possible and train them to become QB's. Only one needs to be successful to make it able for me to stop working in my 50's. 

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

Guys, I learned two things this FA period. 

1. This legal tampering periods is just stupid. I don't see the upside at all. FA already started...

2. I need to get as many sons as possible and train them to become QB's. Only one needs to be successful to make it able for me to stop working in my 50's. 

I think the leagues intent on this was to prevent teams like the Redskins from flying Redskins One somewhere and never allowing a player to speak with any other team. But it isnt making a difference. Players are still just signing with the highest bidder the majority of the time.

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I for the life of me can't post tweets like this... i dont know why it wont work. 

Just copy and paste the web address.

35 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Brees >>>>>> Cousins

NcwYZNS3_normal.jpgShawn Zobel @ShawnZobel

#Vikings are expected to ask RB Latavius Murray to take a pay cut, and if he refuses, word is the team will release him. Murray is scheduled to make $5.15 million in base w/ a $6.35 million cap hit

I would sign Lat in a New York SECOND.

As I said back when, I would've signed him instead of drafting Matt Jones.  Angry runner with speed and goes 6-4, 230lbs.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Would be a decent bridge to Fuller's replacement.  Good vet for the room by all accounts.

I need come clarification on the pre June 1 vs post June 1 cut ramifications. 

McGee cap hit for 2018 is 4.8. If we cut him pre june 1, there would be 3.2 in dead money w 1.6 in cap savings. Post june 1 cut, 800k in dead money w 1 M in savings. 

McClain cap hit for 2018 is 4.6. pre june 1 cut = 3.7 dead money and 937k in savings. Post june 1 cut = 1.2 in dead money w 3.4 in savings. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

Questions:

1. Am I reading this right? If yes, how does that work? 

2. No brainer that Mc boys are a post june 1 cut, right? 

--------------------------------

Got my answer. Pretty simple as well. I knew this. 

"One of the questions I get a lot deals with what a “post June 1 cut is and how designating someone a June 1 cut helps my team. So lets talk a bit about that today.

What we are talking about here deals strictly with the acceleration of prorated bonus money onto the current years salary cap. The NFL essentially breaks up its salary cap accounting for bonuses into two periods with June 1 being the trigger date. When a player is removed from a players roster prior to June 1st all his remaining unamortized bonus money immediately accelerates onto the salary cap. To illustrate this we see how the Kansas City Chiefs gave Steve Breaston a $5 million dollar signing bonus in 2011, which was accounted as $1 million in yearly expenses over the course of his 5 year contract. When he was released just the other day he had only completed 2 years of his 5 year contract meaning the Chiefs salary cap had only accounted for $2 million of the $5 million paid in 2011. The balance of $3 million dollars immediately accelerates onto the Chiefs 2013 salary cap.

After June 1 the NFL changes the way the acceleration works.  After June 1st only the current years expense remains on the books after the player is released. The balance accelerates onto the following years salary cap. So in Breastons case had the Chiefs waited until June 1st to release him his salary cap charge in 2013 would have been $1 million and in 2014 he still would be on the books at $2 million dollars.

https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I think the leagues intent on this was to prevent teams like the Redskins from flying Redskins One somewhere and never allowing a player to speak with any other team. But it isnt making a difference. Players are still just signing with the highest bidder the majority of the time.

Just copy and paste the web address.

I wouldn't say that. Under the old rules, free agency just started at a set time and it was this free for all. Players could sign ASAP if they wanted. But teams were not allowed to speak to free agents (unless it was their own free agents) until the set time of when free agency started. And yet numerous players would sign, sometimes within hours of the start of free agency. And everyone basically knew teams were talking with soon to be free agents before the start time. It was kind of a nudge nudge wink wink situation. It's illegal, but everyone does it and we don't really do anything about it. So since it was already going on, the NFL just made it more "official".

Players still often sign quickly. That's not new. But the idea that the Redskins (or any team) prevent players from speaking with other teams is ludicrous. Players (or really their agents) are speaking with all teams all the time. Players just may not make official visits with other teams. It's ultimately all about the money. If you pay a guy enough, he'll stop negotiating with other teams and sign with you.

2 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

Questions:

1. Am I reading this right? If yes, how does that work? 

2. No brainer that Mc boys are a post june 1 cut, right? 

The way I understand it ... and I could be wrong ... but take the guaranteed money and make the calculations.

If McGee is owed $4m guaranteed over the remaining contract and were cut today, we'd still have $4m taken off this year's cap and he'd be off the books beyond this year. If he's a post-June 1 designation, you take that and split it. So he'd be owed $2m on this year's cap and $2m on next year's cap.

I stated earlier that given the Smith contract, and the likely additions in FA this year, we're probably best off parting with them as cuts now if we are going to do it. We'll be right up against the cap next year and pushing guaranteed $$ to next year for the sake of some wiggle room this year isn't a great idea, especially with Preston Smith, Brandon Scherff, and others being due contracts very soon.

Archived