Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

I guess the "aggressiveness" will come after the first round of FA that occurs before it starts.   There are still players left to be had and the dollars won't be aggregious but man i was figuring we'd be going after more than one WR and an elder DB. 

Would like a few signings today at areas of need. 

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

Seriously amazing how the Eagles manage to retain basically everyone that is important and still land a couple of free agents even though they have no money to spend whatsoever. The will obviously have to cut somebody at some point but still, pretty impressive.

I'm beginning to think they are paying off Goodell to look the other way with their cap.  Or maybe he is trying to rig it so they repeat.

#Redskins definitely wanted Murphy back. This probably ups the chances that Galette comes back, but there's a wide market for him, too. They all of a sudden need one more guy at OLB. Remember Mayowa visited yesterday, but he was a 4-3 DE and is visiting Seattle today.

Maybe i'm nuts, but if the Pats show interest, you better as well.

However, i figure on Murphy it's probably too late.

Ah, who needs guys we draft anyway? (other than NE, Carolina, Minnesota, etc. etc.)

~Bang

3 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

I guess the "aggressiveness" will come after the first round of FA that occurs before it starts.   There are still players left to be had and the dollars won't be aggregious but man i was figuring we'd be going after more than one WR and an elder DB. 

Would like a few signings today at areas of need. 

I am by no means advocating for a return to the Vinny Cerrato days of throwing boatloads of cash at the first players that say yes and yes I know it’s just the first couple days but man... we are just sitting here watching our players walk left and right, playing chicken with our LBs and only signing of consequence is Paul Richardson. This is just headed towards us signing a bunch of one year deals once again once the feeding frenzy is over. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

#Redskins definitely wanted Murphy back. This probably ups the chances that Galette comes back, but there's a wide market for him, too. They all of a sudden need one more guy at OLB. Remember Mayowa visited yesterday, but he was a 4-3 DE and is visiting Seattle today.

So how is it when the "Redskins definitely want someone back" they send them an offer that never gets a counter offer, and is followed by the player immediately leaving?

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce... he does realize that this IS a football organization, right?

~Bang

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Draft, presumably. I mean your hope is that Anderson is a big contributor this year, Jay said as much. But you still need some rotational guys. And a mid-to-late round pick solves that hole at low cost.

Agreed.  To be fair though, Jay pretty much says that about all the younger guys, lol.

I would make a serious offer to trade for Mathieu.  Feel like we almost have to address 2 of DL, G, ILB and slot corner before the draft.  

I would also look for a trade down in the 1st, even if we take, say a 4th/5th this year and a pick next year.  Could really use more mid round picks for OLB, corner, G, QB, TE, etc.

Bumping down in the draft also puts us in a more interesting spot for NT/DT (like Phillips), WR (Moore), RB (Guice), G (Wynn or Hernandez), and so on.  

It's a lousy class of FAs. Why get all aggressive for guys who can't help you?

No sense in spending just to spend.. overpayng for marginal players just because they are a free agent doesn't make any sense.

I'd rather see the Redskins make some more effort to resign our own guys, ie: Murphy and Breeland,, but those ships are now sailed.. and there is nothing out there worth being overly aggressive for.

~Bang

I’m sort of surprised that Murphy is gaining so much interest, coming off an ACL and not exactly being a dominate LB but very serviceable. Thought for sure we’d be able to retain them, after Ryan Grant and Solders deal I’m not sure why I’m even surprised. I just hope we get DRC, some DL help and a playmaking RB.

8 minutes ago, Bang said:

Maybe i'm nuts, but if the Pats show interest, you better as well.

However, i figure on Murphy it's probably too late.

Ah, who needs guys we draft anyway? (other than NE, Carolina, Minnesota, etc. etc.)

~Bang

I cant really fault the front office for this one. Who can predict a big market for a guy coming off of a torn ACL and PED suspension? I am not really sure I would want them investing big money into the guy in all honesty.

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Who wouldn't want to play for the Pats?   He immediately goes from an average team to a Super Bowl contender.  

For sure, I wouldnt blame him. I guess I just hope that we make a comparable offer and if he chooses to move to the Patriots so be it.

The problem with Murphy is that he had no position on this defense and did not have the necessary explosion for an EDGE player nor the coverage skills of an OLB. He might have been able to set the edge for run d, but not really worth a big second deal and was a mistake when we drafted him in 2014. 

1 minute ago, dswerdlw said:

Hoping we're very focused on Poe and Logan....Zach Brown and Preston Brown.  And we need an experienced corner to play the slot (DRC).  I don't see an interior lineman worth pursuing at this point.

Jonathan Cooper is one guy for me. Doesn't preclude drafting a guy in the 1st or 2nd but likely bumpts it to a 4th or 5th round opportunity in the draft. And he won't anchor a line but can play well on one that's already established. Hed be $3-4m a year. Former 1st rounder.

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I cant really fault the front office for this one. Who can predict a big market for a guy coming off of a torn ACL and PED suspension? I am not really sure I would want them investing big money into the guy in all honesty.

Agreed.. the PED bothered me, til i heard it was during his playing through a broken bone in his foot..   The knee happened so early last year he's had plenty of time to heal.. those things, while bad, aren't nearly as bad as they used to be in terms of repair and recovery time.

Just hard to let our first pick of a recent draft walk without much of an attempt to change his mind.

~Bang

3 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

conspiracy alert ! 

I may be wrong on this but I believe Breeland, Cousins, Grant, Long and Murphy were all drafted by the Shannahans

We are supposed to be drafting guys to replace who we let go so we always have young talent coming up through the system. So when we have a guy we drafted who is a superstar we can pay them. Good organizations do not keep everyone they draft, they let them go and replace them from within. Thats what we need to be moving to.

I put Trent Murphy in the same category as Ryan Grant, but I actually value Grant higher. Murphy had one good season on PEDs, and the rest was extremely pedestrian. Tack on an ACL, and I am not impressed. At least Grant stayed healthy and off PEDs.

5 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I put Trent Murphy in the same category as Ryan Grant, but I actually value Grant higher. Murphy had one good season on PEDs, and the rest was extremely pedestrian. Tack on an ACL, and I am not impressed. At least Grant stayed healthy and off PEDs.

Trent's one PED suspension happened after the season where we told him he needed to gain 30 pounds because we were putting him at DE then two weeks into camp we told him to drop 30 pounds because he was moving back to OLB, so I think that might have had something to do with it

Archived