Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

43 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

We are supposed to be drafting guys to replace who we let go so we always have young talent coming up through the system. So when we have a guy we drafted who is a superstar we can pay them. Good organizations do not keep everyone they draft, they let them go and replace them from within. Thats what we need to be moving to.

But this was THIS front office's first crop of drafted players...and several of them panned out. These are exactly the type of guys you should be re-signing. 

Long, Breeland, Murphy, and Grant were four of our top five picks when Allen took over operations for Shanahan. Breeland became very good, Long is a starting-caliber interior lineman, Murphy has the red flags but was solid, and Grant was OK. The kicker...all of them occupy positions we are now looking to fill! 

If we have already moved on or soured relationships with guys 4 years after drafting them...it shows ZERO organizational identity and certainly no long-term plan. 

11 minutes ago, carex said:

well that's what a rebuild would look like and it's what people have been demanding

I'm not sure who's demanding a rebuild off of 3 ~8-8 seasons, and 5 years into a management team.  

If you're going to re-build at this point, you need new people doing the rebuild.  This has to be Bruce/Jay's final chance.  If they can't break 8-8, then it's time to give new people a shot, and hope to God Dan doesn't hire Vinny/Zorn again.  

4 hours ago, Panninho said:

Spencer Long seems to be heading to the Jets. One of our free agents I am totally okay with letting walk. Was average at best.

Agreed.

Long was  a fairly solid player (when he was healthy), but I won't cry over his departure.

3 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

If his knees are better and he passes a physical .. I would offer Chris Culliver a training camp invite (if that avoids a vet min guar contract).

Chris culliver? That dudes still in the league?? The last time i heard his name was the 2014 season and he was awful for us that year ??

Im actually surprised we offered Murphy.  We already have Kerrigan, so we cant afford to keep Murphy, and Smith, especially since we just dropped a 2nd rounder on Ryan Anderson.  Anderson right now is the #3 OLB, and bringing Murphy back would have just made him #4.  Unless you were convinced Smith wasnt good enough, and Murphy was going all-pro, it just didnt make sense.  If they WERE convinced of that, they made a huge mistake.  If they werent, why did they even offer him?

Reality is we should keep it simple here, sign one top ILB, one top DLineman, and a nickel CB and then just leave the market to the crazies.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Well, overthecap is keeping a comp pick projection.

I've never paid too much attention since we rarely get them.  Apparently, teams are limited to 4.  

If Long qualifies, then we sit at 3.  With Murphy, palette and brown still out there.  I don't want to go crazy, but getting 4 would mean we could still sign 2 FA (or resign 2 of these guys) and get 4 more picks.  If cut guys don't count, we could still get some holes filled and add some picks.  

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

How are the Eagles signing all of these players? By my calculation they are now roughly 15 MILLION OVER the cap??????

It's important to note that teams don't always have to be under the cap, but at certain times they do. As of 4:00 EST they have to be under the cap. All of these announced signing and trades won't become official until after that, so it's more about managing what they currently have under contract, not what they will have under contract after 4:00 EST.  

Currently they are ~$10M over the cap, but they restructured Lane Johnson, which freed up $8M and they cut Brent Celek, which freed up another $4M. 

I should add I don't know what happens to teams that are over the cap. I've never heard of a punishment in terms of a fine or draft picks taken away. I think teams just make sure their contracts make sense for the periods of time when they have to. 

4 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

They are so great, that's why they are in cap hell and we have space to sign people.  They are going to lose Curry and Kendricks and are replacing them with 50 year old Dlineman and a 3rd stringer from Denver   :rofl89:

Hold on - you are really going to engage with me on whether or not the Eagles' front office can run circles around ours? 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Will said:

Spaight is a decent backup(if he’d quit trying to lay wood on every tackle and just wrap his arms around guys)and vigil is a decent #3 at best!!..we need actual startering,game changing,tackling,covering LB’s..teams pass and run all over our midfield defense-I’d just like to see us invest in at least one top player on all three levels of our D!!..our line was showing signs(when they weren’t headed to the medical tent),our backfield group had potential but we’re losing more pieces than we’re adding..and we don’t have enough draft picks to fix all three levels and that’s if we hit on every one of our picks..just saying!!

you miss my point, which is that in our last few games we actually started Ryan Kerrigan, Martrell Spaight, Zach Vigil and Preston Smith, so we are not worse today than we were at the end of the season.  Murphy spent all last year injured.  We aren't actually losing him when compared to last year

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Oakland Raiders – CB T.J. Carrie – The Raiders pass defense has struggled all season long and have little to write home about. However, while manning the slot, Carrie has been a pleasant surprise earning a coverage grade of 82.0. No cornerback has more tackles resulting in an defensive success while defending the pass than Carrie’s 14.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-cover-athletes-the-top-coverage-player-on-every-nfl-defense

Only knowing how bad the Raiders pass D was on a macro scale, I immediately assumed "well ****, throw this in the overpay garbage player category." But I was wrong, the reviews and his pff rating are all very good. And, he plays the slot, so it would be a direct replacement for Fuller. At only 27, I'd very much prefer him over DRC.

2 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Only knowing how bad the Raiders pass D was on a macro scale, I immediately assumed "well ****, throw this in the overpay garbage player category." But I was wrong, the reviews and his pff rating are all very good. And, he plays the slot, so it would be a direct replacement for Fuller. At only 27, I'd very much prefer him over DRC.

Agree.  I knew nothing about him until i saw that tweet.  Researching him it looks like Denver is all over this -- top target.    If so, we'd have to outbid them it looks like.

Just because the team drafted a player doesn't mean they are worth keeping around and paying above their value for.  Ryan Grant was looked at as a wasted pick until this season when he finally decided he could catch a football.  What about his tenure as a 'Skins player makes people think he should be re-signed, especially when the alternative has turned out to be signing a WR with a skill set that previously wasn't on this team?  

There is no magic formula to building a winner.  The best route is hitting on all your draft picks, but since that is pretty difficult to do, you have to mix & match who stays and who goes.  

1 hour ago, Bang said:

So how is it when the "Redskins definitely want someone back" they send them an offer that never gets a counter offer, and is followed by the player immediately leaving?

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce... he does realize that this IS a football organization, right?

~Bang

Players get our offers but jump at the chance to play for better ran organizations..this is a business of coarse but players still want the championship to add to their bank accounts-and we are definitely not going to be going to a super bowl anytime soon so I’m seeing players stop here for a year or two just to fatten their pockets then go to a contender after they’ve gotten their cash!

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

It's a good point, but this seems to be the rule for most teams... There have been a couple of re-signings over the past couple of days, but the vast majority of players on the "top 100 list" are going to find new homes.

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

As of right now:

Kirk - 3rd

Breeland - 5th

Grant - 5th

Long - TBD

Signed:

Paul Richardson - 5th

So a 3rd &  5th comp picks and another maybe depending on Long's deal, but I doubt he signed for more than $5m APY which would fit in the 6th/7th round range.

Of course, some of these will inevitably be canceled out by our own signings eventually.

I'm okay with looking at comp picks, but those picks will be 'awarded' for the 2019 draft and they are given because based on market value the team is less talented. Add in that it's rare for a 3rd round or later pick to make an immediate impact we aren't getting much. 

With a 34 year old QB and no current succession plan at that spot how does that help us for the 2018 season? 

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Hold on - you are really going to engage with me on whether or not the Eagles' front office can run circles around ours? 

I'm only saying they are not in as good shape as people on here make it seem.  Their offensive coaching staff was gutted.  They now have NO depth at TE and no money to acquire replacements.  They are betting heavy on some mid to late round pick to replace Torrey Smith.  They are losing young D linemen and replacing them with guys who are knocking on retirements door.  They are going to lose Kendricks and added a scrub coming off a serious injury to replace him.  Their CBs scare no one and are going to probably lose their only good one (Robinson). 

Oh, and they have NO draft picks.  There ceiling is 9-7, missing the playoffs. 

We have cap room, draft picks, and core players.  Our FO isn't perfect but the Eagles are replicating our 2006 offseason nicely.

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, here's the thing: your plan can't be to hope that these players stay healthy, add a speed guy at WR, and we're all of a sudden going to contend.  That's a bad plan that has 7-9 written all over it. And hope is not a strategy.  

And I don't want to hear the excuses of "But the injuries!" or "It's a hard schedule" this year.  If the same group of players gets injured again, that's not an excuse. That's a trend, and something Bruce/Jay and company should have planned for.  And the schedule is what it is.  It's identical to the other teams in the division minus 2 games. 

First I'd say that you also left off missing Pryor at WR (so we're net down a WR).

But onto your main point, the thing I've been preaching all offseason (and its weird to be preaching it) is that we've also go to account for natural player development. How good will Harris and Davis be next year? How good will Anderson be? How good will Sprinkle be? How good will Kalis and Kouandjio be? How much did we plan for Fuller being that good going into his second year? Matt I? How much did we expect Vigil to play as the third best LB? How much did we expect Lanier to develop into a consistent guy at getting pressure and batting balls?

So I can understand the frustration of not knowing the plan or thinking that they don't have a plan since its not an obvious one, but the coaches know something about these guys. They know who's busting their butts in practice and who's likely to improve. They know how close this team was last year, but they also know how things fell apart. But at the same time a number of players stepped up and there has to be a question asked of how good these guys are, and is it worth it to develop these guys or go out and get a veteran, or to try to upgrade in the draft, or are there valuable UDFAs that can be picked up?

And as far as Jay being an 8-8 coach, I'll say that I put Jay's offense up there with just about any one out there. Jay's defenses have been problematic. Is that because of his offense's dependency on pass? Are our linemen not good enough or our linebackers? If its the later, then your point is more valid and needs to be addressed (through FA or the draft) but if we can have guys make improvements like Ioannidis did last year, then we have the coaches here to develop the guys because they've done it. But they'll need to continue to do it.

2 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

I love all of the players people are ****ing about leaving are the same ones that are ****ed about during the season. Have some perspective people. Not one guy we lost is a game changer.

I somewhat disagree.  I'm happy to see Grant test other waters.  However, Breeland and Long are legitimate starters, and now we have to go find replacements before we can address IMPROVING.  I don't mind so much on Murphy, because they have Kerrigan, Smith and Anderson all there already.  

Right now we have departed starters at DB, Nickle DB, ILB (pending re-signing Brown) and LG.  

Now, if the replacements are all already here and as good as those departing, great. However consider me somewhat skeptical.  

1 minute ago, hatchetwound said:

Oh, and they have NO draft picks.  There ceiling is 9-6, missing the playoffs. 

BOLD prediction. I don't think many analysts, or fans of any teams, would agree with this. But **** them, I'd love for you to be right.

2 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

I love all of the players people are ****ing about leaving are the same ones that are ****ed about during the season. Have some perspective people. Not one guy we lost is a game changer.

I agree but our depth sucks so losing one,much less several starters is definitely gonna hurt big time..when some of these guys got hurt we had to pull replacements off the street just to fill our roster..since our team is loaded with so-so,mid tier players,loosing any without any decent backups is just gonna make for a loooong upcoming season!!

38 minutes ago, Sknsnation said:

League source says eagles have asked DE Vinny Curry to restructure his deal. if the two sides can"t come to an agreement it could force the birds to release him

I get a feeling he'll be traded. It seems they were going to cut him before 4:00 today to get under the cap, but elected to cut long time Eagles Brent Celek instead. 

This isn't a good DE market or draft, so there might be value there. 

It just pisses me off that the Eagles keep finding a way to get something for nothing. I mean, the Torrey Smith trade??? really???

Archived