Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

23 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

So explain to me why we aren't paying Kirk 28 million a year when we aren't using the money we saved from him? I mean don't get me wrong I called the alex smith trade week 3 and it makes sense, but man we're missing a lot of pieces. Not to mention we're sending one of our better draft picks away to KC. Not sure what the plan is but it's not like we've got 12 picks in he draft either. 

Eagles are going to destroy the NFC East again next year.

WHen I looked at Overthecap.com it looked like we had mybe 34 people from the main roster this passed year on roster signed for 2019.  and 2020 sees even fewer.  Cooley mentioned Brandon Scherf (sp?) I didn't see his name.  Of course that includes those they haven't signed that were FA this year like Ryan Grant, Spencer Long, Terrrel Pryor, Zach Brown etc.  

7 minutes ago, Veretax said:

WHen I looked at Overthecap.com it looked like we had mybe 34 people from the main roster this passed year on roster signed for 2019.  and 2020 sees even fewer.  Cooley mentioned Brandon Scherf (sp?) I didn't see his name.  Of course that includes those they haven't signed that were FA this year like Ryan Grant, Spencer Long, Terrrel Pryor, Zach Brown etc.  

Yeah we have a lot of cap space in 2020 and beyond. And roster vacancies. So building through draft picks (comp picks too next year) will be smart to bolster the roster. Also probably why signing some guys entering second contracts this year to back-loaded deals in 2020-2022 would work out for us. We'd also likely be moving on from Trent and Kerrigan in that time-frame as well. And rebuilding with a new QB in that frame. Interesting setup realy.

24 minutes ago, Veretax said:

Cooley mentioned Brandon Scherf (sp?) I didn't see his name. 

Overthecap has it based on current deals.  Scherff will have a 5th year option that at this point the skins would take.  So unofficially (but highly likely) he is still in play another year.

Edit:  I verified nothing,  but am pretty sure this is the reason for the discrepancy. 

4 minutes ago, Bang said:

It's a lousy class of FAs. Why get all aggressive for guys who can't help you?

No sense in spending just to spend.. overpayng for marginal players just because they are a free agent doesn't make any sense.

I'd rather see the Redskins make some more effort to resign our own guys, ie: Murphy and Breeland,, but those ships are now sailed.. and there is nothing out there worth being overly aggressive for.

~Bang

I kindof agree, kindof disagree.  I agree they should retain their own guys, but I also think they needed to be more aggressive to get impact players.  

Here's the problem:  In addition to Fuller (and a 3rd round pick), we've lost Breeland (starting CB), Long (Starting OL, either C or G) and Grant (though definitely a talent upgrade with Robinson), and Zac Brown is still not signed.

So, from last year's team, we're down potentially 4 starters at Outside and Nickle DB, ILB and G as of this moment. Grant for Robinson replaces one starter with another, so no loss there, and we did upgrade talent-wise going from Grant to Richardson.  But Grant actually had more production, so it's not entirely clear how that's going to work out.  However, I think that in Gruden's system, Richardson will do well, so I do look at that as a net +. But that's a guess and far from certain.

Now take into consideration that the team totally lacked talent from a 1st and 2nd down back, so you have to get one of those.  I'd consider that still an open hole, so we're searching for 5 starters.  

Being honest, we also can't count on the health of Jordan Reed or Chris Thompson.  Or really Trent Williams, Morgan Moses or  Jonathan Allen.  Trent is a warrior, and will play through anything, but he's coming off of a knee surgery, and he is banged up every year.  Moses is coming off of ankle surgery (maybe 2 ankle surgeries), and is also a warrior, but also banged up every year.  Jonathan Allen had health concerns coming out, and while it was a different injury, we need to see him play 16 games before we can assume he can.  Reed and CT are self explanatory.

So, here's the thing: your plan can't be to hope that these players stay healthy, add a speed guy at WR, and we're all of a sudden going to contend.  That's a bad plan that has 7-9 written all over it. And hope is not a strategy.  

And I don't want to hear the excuses of "But the injuries!" or "It's a hard schedule" this year.  If the same group of players gets injured again, that's not an excuse. That's a trend, and something Bruce/Jay and company should have planned for.  And the schedule is what it is.  It's identical to the other teams in the division minus 2 games. 

I keep saying this, this is year 5 of Bruce/Jay, they traded for a 34 year old QB, they have to win now.  10 game minimum.  The expectations would be different if it were year 1 or 2.  But it's not.  This management team has had 5 years to put together the roster, FO structure and coaching staff.  We had zero changes in FO or coaching staff.  That tells me that they believe they have a championship level organization in place.  I disagree.  But that's what making no changes off of a 7-9 season says.  

I would personally have gotten aggressive with Robinson early, re-signed Breeland (if he would take the same deal the Panthers gave him) and Long, and already committed to a RB like Deon Lewis or Murray to provide stability and depth.It sounds like Brown is just asking for too much, so ok with waiting there.  I might have considered going after Norwell with a big deal, and had Eric Shaffer work out the cap implications.  He's good at that.  Figure out how to defer the cap hits, release a few guys, whatever. You've got to go after it now.  

They're in the position of having to win in the next couple of years (which they put themselves in), and coming off of three ~8-8 seasons, they've got to do something.  The time is now.  

But it looks like Bruce/Jay are willing to just lollygag through FA, pick up some bargain guys, and finish around 8-8 again.  Because that's what this roster is, and that's what Jay is.  And fair warning, I'm going to be calling for ALL heads loudly if they finish with less than 10 wins, because they've pre-determined their ceiling.  The ONLY excuse will be if Alex Smith gets hurt.  But I'm not going to forgive injuries if those guys are any of the guys I listed above.  

This team hasn't won a playoff game since after the 2005 season.  We're in year 9 of Bruce, and 5 of Bruce/Jay. They aren't burdened by a huge QB contract.  

No excuses.  

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I dont understand why we are letting everyone go. Seems counter productive to draft talent, groom talent and then let talent leave for jack ****. 

Thats what you get with that idiot Bruce Allen running things..He thinks he is so smart and just low balls players..If this season goes south he will probably be the first to be fired..

28 minutes ago, Bang said:

Agreed.. the PED bothered me, til i heard it was during his playing through a broken bone in his foot..   The knee happened so early last year he's had plenty of time to heal.. those things, while bad, aren't nearly as bad as they used to be in terms of repair and recovery time.

Just hard to let our first pick of a recent draft walk without much of an attempt to change his mind.

~Bang

I think there was a lot of back and forth on Murphy over the last couple of weeks, and something was close a couple of days ago - BUT i guess he would be an off the bench back up (rotation guy)  here competing with Smith and AN Other ( maybe Gallette), but he might get more play on a new team and if the Patriots come knocking do you turn it down ?  

4 minutes ago, Mr.Will said:

We don’t have the LB’s for any scheme at the moment!!

they may not be top quality in some spots but we can actually field a better quality starting group of LBs than we finished the year with as we have all of our final game starters plus Mason Foster is back and would replace either Spaight or Vigil

Oakland Raiders – CB T.J. Carrie – The Raiders pass defense has struggled all season long and have little to write home about. However, while manning the slot, Carrie has been a pleasant surprise earning a coverage grade of 82.0. No cornerback has more tackles resulting in an defensive success while defending the pass than Carrie’s 14.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-cover-athletes-the-top-coverage-player-on-every-nfl-defense

15 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah we have a lot of cap space in 2020 and beyond. And roster vacancies. So building through draft picks (comp picks too next year) will be smart to bolster the roster. Also probably why signing some guys entering second contracts this year to back-loaded deals in 2020-2022 would work out for us. We'd also likely be moving on from Trent and Kerrigan in that time-frame as well. And rebuilding with a new QB in that frame. Interesting setup realy.

If I have to wait for 2020 with Bruce/Jay trying to figure out how to win more than 8 games a year, I'm seriously going to go completely insane.  

41 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I think Murphy is worth paying, though he may just want to play for the Patriots.

I agree,even before his injury and suspension he was on the uprise on his play..just watch,he’ll go to another team and ball lights out,pro bowl type of play!!..I hate watching him go else where while we sit idly by and do nothing but wave goodbye as he(and the rest of our players) go elsewhere!!

3 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Thats what you get with that idiot Bruce Allen running things..He thinks he is so smart and just low balls players..If this season goes south he will probably be the first to be fired..

I mean Im trying to tell myself that the end goal here is to gather talent until we have a actual window and then take all the money we save and use it in FA to get us over the top for a season or two. 

But hes really ****ing that up for me. 

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If I have to wait for 2020 with Bruce/Jay trying to figure out how to win more than 8 games a year, I'm seriously going to go completely insane.  

well that's what a rebuild would look like and it's what people have been demanding

3 minutes ago, carex said:

they may not be top quality in some spots but we can actually field a better quality starting group of LBs than we finished the year with as we have all of our final game starters plus Mason Foster is back and would replace either Spaight or Vigil

Spaight is a decent backup(if he’d quit trying to lay wood on every tackle and just wrap his arms around guys)and vigil is a decent #3 at best!!..we need actual startering,game changing,tackling,covering LB’s..teams pass and run all over our midfield defense-I’d just like to see us invest in at least one top player on all three levels of our D!!..our line was showing signs(when they weren’t headed to the medical tent),our backfield group had potential but we’re losing more pieces than we’re adding..and we don’t have enough draft picks to fix all three levels and that’s if we hit on every one of our picks..just saying!!

51 minutes ago, Bang said:

It's a lousy class of FAs. Why get all aggressive for guys who can't help you?

No sense in spending just to spend.. overpayng for marginal players just because they are a free agent doesn't make any sense.

I'd rather see the Redskins make some more effort to resign our own guys, ie: Murphy and Breeland,, but those ships are now sailed.. and there is nothing out there worth being overly aggressive for.

~Bang

I'm OK with them sitting out this FA class...

But, I better see them go ahead and extend homegrown guys (Scherff, Crowder, etc.) and maybe even front-load Smith's contract a bit. They better use the cap space to get better somehow...

1 hour ago, RabidFan said:

I guess the "aggressiveness" will come after the first round of FA that occurs before it starts.   There are still players left to be had and the dollars won't be aggregious but man i was figuring we'd be going after more than one WR and an elder DB. 

Would like a few signings today at areas of need. 

No kidding. I like JP Finlay, but he was way off here.

I want a big ugly today.

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And I don't want to hear the excuses of "But the injuries!" or "It's a hard schedule" this year.  If the same group of players gets injured again, that's not an excuse. That's a trend, and something Bruce/Jay and company should have planned for.  And the schedule is what it is.  It's identical to the other teams in the division minus 2 games. 

I agree with a chunk of your post (just highlighted a portion of it) -- except of course the 8-8 line about Jay, :)  But I do agree that this whole regime, Jay included are on the spot.  My main difference is we got some time for this to play out.  For me if they sign Richardson or Poe.  Figure something out at MLB-G and nickel corner.  It will be a good FA crop IMO.  That chapter isn't closed yet.  Some of my fav prospects at said positions are still out there.

But to your point -- I agree its a watershed season and treading water doesn't cut it.  As Sheehan likes to say, we've heard to death about how they can't build around Kirk -- and if they go cheaper at QB then they can build themselves a team.  Well, Alex at 34 is probably at his peak so he's unlikely to be improving when he hits 35-36, etc.   This year is the cheapest salary we will have Alex at.  So this is the obvious go for the kill season.  The Eagles having just won the Superbowl are acting like doing it again is the be all and end all for them and are going all in. 

The Redskins aside from the Alex Smith trade -- don't seem to have that level of desperation that the Eagles have. Thus far at least.  At the moment based on losses this team is noticeably weaker let alone stronger from last season.  Having said that, we got time.  And as much as I don't care for Bruce to the degree where I don't have much faith, I'd be surprised if we don't have a big signing or two shortly.  The reason being that your point is obvious -- hard for me to imagine it escapes them.  But will see.

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I keep saying this, this is year 5 of Bruce/Jay, they traded for a 34 year old QB, they have to win now.  10 game minimum.  The expectations would be different if it were year 1 or 2.  But it's not.  This management team has had 5 years to put together the roster, FO structure and coaching staff.  We had zero changes in FO or coaching staff.  That tells me that they believe they have a championship level organization in place.  I disagree.  But that's what making no changes off of a 7-9 season says.  

5 years for most, but this organization needs 30+ years to maybe get a clue.

32 minutes ago, Veretax said:

Cap space is a tricky thing. In today's NFL it's important to keep or get players that help you win, but when you have a lot of cap space it typically means the team isn't that talented. 

Maybe a better way to look at it is how well do teams use their cap space. 

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Or, and stay with me here, they are just far better than we are as an organization and have been for 20 years...

They are so great, that's why they are in cap hell and we have space to sign people.  They are going to lose Curry and Kendricks and are replacing them with 50 year old Dlineman and a 3rd stringer from Denver   :rofl89:

Archived