Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Role players are a critical element to NFL rosters. When you extend C+/B- players for low cost, you make available the resources you need (draft picks and money) to add the stars. Having Long or Murphy or Breeland on a team-friendly deal that we re-negotiated after year 2 of their rookie contracts would 1) solidify either a starting role or depth and 2) keep costs down and free cap space to get your QB/stud WR/RB/whatever pressing need you may have. 

Agreed but were you sold on Breeland after year 3 (he was atrocious)?  Or after his great year 2 (would have overpayed).  Or Long who struggled at LG his second year and his 3rd year was his first at center.  We don't ever have that consistency year to year with an individual player and something always seems to pop-up so your either going to overpay after a good year or roll the dice with extending someone who still hasn't shown the ability to be that C+/B- player (examples above).

25 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Fuller is the only un-replaceable. #1 rated slot CB last year, we'll inevitably see a bit of regression there.

Luavao was trash and we should be able to find his replacement at a local JuCo.

Roullier will be starting C. The jury's still out on him, but he filled in okay last year.

Brown's speed and run-stopping ability was top notch, but he was equally as bottom notch in his pass coverage ability. 

Breeland- 79 pff. Dunbar- 80 pff. And Moreau should take the next step (I know, we say that every off-season about 2nd year guys. But look at Fuller and Ionnidis...)

Grant- good riddance. Maybe someone in Baltimore can teach him how to run a 3rd down route passed the sticks.

Point is, the dropoff isn't nearly as significant as many seem to believe.

My point is that you have to have guys in those positions, and you don't now.  Long could have played Guard or Center, and he knows the team/offense, and was a draft pick.  So you have to replace him.  

I don't give a hoot about the PFF rankings.  Breeland was better than Dunny, the proof is that he started over Dunny for the entire year.  If Dunny, who Gruden LOVES, was better, he would have been starting.  He wasn't.  End of story.  Moreau might take the next step.  He might not.  Need to see. 

They have to find the replacement for Brown.  That person is not on the roster currently. 

Grant they flipped for another starter, which I mentioned. No loss here.

They have nobody slated to play LG and ILB at this moment, and they have lost both their starting outside and nickle DBs.  It's possible that the solution to both of these is already on the roster.  But we don't know that yet.  

And we haven't upgraded at RB.  

Overall point: we're no better than we were last year personnel wise right now.  That might change over time.  But right now, we're not better.  

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Honey badger is getting released. I’m hoping he’s on our list of targets 

This is a player that I would bring back the old days for.

Fire up Redskins one.

Archived