Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Just a thought - With all the Redskin FAs getting paid might we have been a better team than our record indicated? I know there were injuries, but if the market is overpaying players across the board then I'm assuming there's a gap in how talented we feel they are and what the larger market feels. 

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

Rapp on NFLN just said Murphy's contract was a 3 yr - $30 mil but Schefter said $21 mil....weird

Nerd fight!!!

I hope they settle it over a game of Dungeons and Dragons that no one watches. 

7 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

This is what we want..... Sign quality, not quantity

I would agree but we need some players and depth.  I don't want to see not signing our MEH players just so we can turn around and sign other team's MEH players.  Requires faith in our scouting department... hmm.

Key thing is to be willing to pay players who can make a difference - change a game.  Honey Badger is that sort of player in my mind.

30 minutes ago, skinsfan834 said:

Moses was going into the fourth and final year of his contract and was offered a salary that made him the second highest paid right tackle in the NFL. Your original post discussed extending role players two years into their rookie deals for 'team-friendly' or 'low cost' deals. Wouldn't necessarily call a five year, $42.5 million contract 'low cost.'

I'm all for keeping our own, but by dedicating to build through the draft, you are constantly looking to find a better, younger player of a guy who might be nearing the end of his contract. I would have liked to see one of the four in question resigned, but am not going to cry over losing any of them -- especially for the contracts that they are likely to or have received thus far in FA.    

OK, so they did it in year 3, not year 2. That's fine. With the escalation of contracts lately, I would guess that $8M/year for a starting tackle is suddenly pretty reasonable. Maybe I'm wrong. 

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

OK, so they did it in year 3, not year 2. That's fine. With the escalation of contracts lately, I would guess that $8M/year for a starting tackle is suddenly pretty reasonable. Maybe I'm wrong. 

Sitting at #8 for cap allocation. Think it'll be outside the top 10 this season. Ended up being a good deal. 

13 minutes ago, Unbias said:

I get where VOR is coming from. This past season the product on the field wasn't good. It's sort of compounded because with this ownership it seems the only way we make the playoffs is when our division is bad, so we get in by default then get an early exit. Adding to that many went into this off season hoping Kirk would stay. That's not happening. 

The saving grace of not having Kirk's massive contract would be cap space to acquire additional talent. I completely understand that free agency hasn't even started let alone has concluded, but based on the early signings we are losing some good pieces with their replacements TBD. 

Anyway I feel this is a part of the process, but like all things how long do you do the same things while enduring the same sub-standard results? 

Response to the 1st bolded part: The divsion was only "bad" in 2015.  2012 I would call it "good" to have 3 teams at/above .500.  2005 & 2007 it was a "damn good" division.  Still, I would have liked to compare more than 4 freaking playoff births in that time. :)

2005: NYG 11-5, WAS 10-6, DAL 9-7, PHI 6-10

2007: DAL 13-3, NYG 10-6, WAS 9-7, PHI 8-8

2012: WAS 10-6, NYG 9-7, DAL 8-8, PHI 4-12

2015: WAS 9-7, PHI 7-9, NYG 6-10, DAL 4-12

Response to the 1st bolded part: I'm not so sure the Skins have been doing what they're doing for that long.  Wasn't it not too long ago Redskin 1 was the FA plan?  And in just the last 2 years our drafted players that hit FA are actually signing with other teams instead of disappearing from the NFL.

It takes patience to build a team mostly through the draft.  The Skins started this process with basically no depth and traded a bunch of picks to get their "franchise QB" during the early stages (which obviously backfired on multiple levels). It was/is going to take a cycle or two of drafted players to reach their FA years before proper depth & "quality" starters are found.  The key is to pay the "quality" starters and let the "mid level" players test FA.  Use the draft for depth and then let that depth develop into starters. Then sign the "quality" starters and let the "mid level" players test FA. Rinse and repeat while filling some spots via FA.  The key is to stay the course and to not "miss" too many times in FA.

1 minute ago, Unbias said:

Just a thought - With all the Redskin FAs getting paid might we have been a better team than our record indicated? I know there were injuries, but if the market is overpaying players across the board then I'm assuming there's a gap in how talented we feel they are and what the larger market feels. 

Or maybe than some thought we were - many of us were certain that without the injuries the team is a playoff team. Almost got there even with close to record injuries. 

Consider this - in 2015 the Redskins had the 4th highest # of man games lost with 215. In 2017 they were 8th but with 296 games lost. Also, the weighted loss of those injuries was 2nd in the NFL per www.mangameslost.com (yes it's a real website). In 2015 the weighted loss was 5th - in fairness they adjusted the criteria from 2015 to 2017. However all teams were measured the same each year so from a relative ranking standpoint they can be compared. 

49 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

I would love to know what the actual plan here is....so far all the Redskins have done is lose just about every free agent. I am having a hard time understanding anything they are doing....or not doing that is. 

Free agency hasnt even started yet man? Lets see what happens. We have already landed one of the top 3 or 4 WR's in free agency.

A lot of times when organizations simply let players walk, it is for one of two reasons or a combo of both:

1) They know their price tag will be too high to justify re-signing 

2) They are confident in players on the roster behind them that are ready to contribute.

The first one certainly factors into things, but the second one actually happens a lot more than people think.  Every offseason when players leave teams the media harps on what they lost, but then when the season starts, seemingly out of nowhere, younger players behind them emerge to be just as good and/or better.

When you are a .500 team, I'm sorry, but you are not in the market to pay a premium for depth and mid-level players.  You want to keep and/or bring in some blue chippers and build the depth around them.

37 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

I'm on board with that. I don't want Haynesworth deals. I'd be pissed if we had signed Grant to the $ he got from Baltimore. 

For example though I'd be fine with the Nate Solder deal if I'm a Giants fan. You pay a premium but you don't give up draft picks to get a good player at a position of need. 

i was one of the few that liked Grant but I would not have liked him at that contract. I think Balt has lost their minds. He is just not worth that money. He is a really hard worker and someone you like to have in your locker room if he is cheap.

But almost $7.5M/yr? Sorry that's crazy money.Now I did also hear that it's just $14.5M guaranteed. But still, if he gets that over 2 yrs with no dead cap, that's still $7.25M/yr. For me that's almost double what I think he is worth. 

Sorry - got Murphy and Grants contracts mixed up - lol

43 minutes ago, CTskin said:

If this is true, how the **** are the Giants in the mix for him? They had $18M of cap space going into this offseason and then signed Stewart for $8/2 and Solder for $62/4. Even if the first years of the contracts are 25% less than the average, they're still just about at the cap... So, how can they now afford a player who will cost $13M+?

If the Giants land him and we consider what the Eagles are doing, I'll need someone to explain to me why everyone around here regards Eric Schaeffer so highly....

You have to be willing to eat dead cap if you are going to operate that way. They stagger the dead cap space into different years. But you have to be profitable or the owner wouldnt do it. I wonder if Snyder is starting to feel the burn from the 20K removed seats in that hell hole of a stadium?

Dianna RussiniVerified account @diannaESPN
Follow Follow @diannaESPN
More

Former Jets linebacker Demario Davis expected to sign with the New Orleans Saints per source. Deal is 3 years, $24 million, $18 million in guaranteed

TheHogSty Retweeted Dianna Russini

Whelp.  There goes a potential Zach Brown replacement.

40 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

I definitely would not call this a win/win. Yeah, they have contributed to mediocrity....but there are no backup plans for most of the players the Redskins are losing. So far, they have lost 4 or 5 starters. The way this is playing out so far, they are looking worse than mediocre next season. 

Don't you get sick of rooting for a high draft pick?

4 or 5 starters with no backup plan? Really?

Long was not going to be the starting C(Roullier) or LG (hasn't played there in 2 years). They may have the backup G already on the roster or my need FA/draft.

Murphy is not a starter and R  Anderson is the plan.

Breeland = the "plan" (that you don't think they have) is to start Moreau (most likely) or Dunbar (less likely).

Grant is not a starter...and if he was he was replaced by P.Richardson.

Cousins is replaced by Smith.

Lauvao isn't gone yet (but he will be and I hope soon) and his position needs to be replaced at starter caliber via FA or draft.

Brown isn't gone yet.

Galette isn't a starter or gone yet.

That's 2 starters (KC & Bree) both replaced by another player/plan.

I get that you might not like the plan but try not to exaggerate stuff...it makes it hard to take people (not just you) seriously when that's going on.  

Archived