Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:
Albert BreerVerified account @AlbertBreer
FollowingFollowing @AlbertBreer
More

Texted with ex-Cardinals DB Tyrann Mathieu on what he's looking for in his next destination: "I wanna go somewhere where football and defense matters." Said he'd love to go to a place where he can immerse himself in the game, and a culture of winning.

Somebody tell him it's 1986 and get him a plane ticket to DC!

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Imagine how pumped we'd be about what looks to be a little re-tooling effort if we hadn't made the Alex Smith trade, and still had Fuller and that 3rd. 

We'd be happily counting our comp picks and looking to next year's QB class if no one falls to 13. 

Instead we're in this weird artificial window where we feel like we have make splashes and win games, even though we suck, because Bruce was allowed to attempt to go into emergency job saving mode. 

Some of us were advocating such a plan. Trade a few vets for picks, re-set the cap, look for a QB in a deep draft for them, load up on picks.

Instead, we're going to be juggling the cap and trying to win 9 games for the decline years of Alex Smith.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not counting Zach Brown out yet.  But as I said earlier if they lose Brown IMO they need to sign a MLB.  But yeah with Zach out I agree with you.

Well, I listed out all those guys in there because you said "if all we do..." or words to that effect. 

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

Some of us were advocating such a plan. Trade a few vets for picks, re-set the cap, look for a QB in a deep draft for them, load up on picks.

Instead, we're going to be juggling the cap and trying to win 9 games for the decline years of Alex Smith.

I agree. I would have preferred to draft a QB in this deep QB draft instead of trading for a veteran. But there is no law that says we cant still draft our guy if he falls to us at 13 either. Smith has handled it before. And worst case Alex Smith is still a tradeable asset.

18 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Agents aren't stupid, and with TV ratings going down, they are probably already looking down the road in a few years from now where Salary Cap will diminish and players won't be able to get that kind of money.

Especially second and third tier guys. Those are gonna have a tough time getting paid in a few years, because stars, will still make lots of money. I'm not sure a Ryan Grant type of guy will get what Grant got from the Ravens in 5/6 years. They'll probably get half of it if they're lucky.

So agents better have their players cash in now, than sign for low and expect a bigger payday in a few years.

The idea that the NFL's salary cap is going to diminish so significantly in a few years that certain players are only going to receive half of what they are currently fetching is laughable. The league is still far and away the most popular and profitable sport in the United States. The whole 'ratings debate' is something that I don't really want to get into, but I think that narrative has been vastly overplayed as there still aren't accurate ways to measure viewers who watch through other means than traditional broadcast. 

For reference, in the past five years, the salary cap has jumped by more than $50 million. While it might plateau soon, it is by no means going to significantly decrease. 

3 minutes ago, PerryMason said:

Yeah he's a slot corner...has little to do with Nicholson...unless we'd being taking Matheiu to play safety.

Not sure the confusion. Matheiu = slot. Nicholson = FS.

Not worth the talk though, I don't see any way we land him.

EDIT- The honey badger plays just about every position in the secondary. As versatile a DB as they come.

3 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm not sure I'd be glad to have 3/4 comp picks if that means going 3-13 at best in 2018...

3-13 is probably the best thing that could happen to this team in 2018. In as embarrassing a fashion as possible. I would be actively rooting for it if we hadn't made the Alex Smith trade, and I might still be. 

10 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That's an enormous stretch, imo. Richardson, Richardson and Mathieu minus Fuller, Brown, Breeland, Grant, Murphy, Galette, Paul, Long. Don't see that as a wash, much less an upgrade.

Said differently, we got Howie Roseman turning the Eagles around in 2 years by being aggressive.  If Bruce Allen goes in this off season by losing a ton of players and he doesn't make up ground with other signings and they go 8-8 or whatever -- I think its adios amigo to Bruce Allen.  What is he going to sell the 10th season is the charm?   

Do I think Bruce is incompetent - yes.  Do I think he's dumb about his own self-preservation?  No.  And I think he'd be setting up his own plank by playing things out the way it looks now.  Plus Jay I presume is in the mix.  I do trust Jay.  So I suspect they got some things cooking.   Will see.     

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree. I would have preferred to draft a QB in this deep QB draft instead of trading for a veteran. But there is no law that says we cant still draft our guy if he falls to us at 13 either. Smith has handled it before. And worst case Alex Smith is still a tradeable asset.

There may not be a law but there is pretty much a guarantee that we won't take a QB in the first 3 rounds, and that 3rd would have been a great asset for drafting a QB.

And no way will we recoup near what we dealt for Smith, and we'd have to take a big cap hit to get whatever we can for him.

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm not sure I'd be glad to have 3/4 comp picks if that means going 3-13 at best in 2018...

Im not sure we were ever going to be doing better than 3-13.  Actually, in all seriousness, I think we lost more in the trade for Alex Smith than in the entirety of free agents.  Out of that list of players, who really did we need or expect to contribute this year?

Lauvau, Long, Paul, Compton, Galette, and Pryor, so 6 of the 11 are all guys who were worthless to us this coming season.  All backups, and in some cases 3rd string. The only players who could have made any impact are: Cousins, Breeland, Murphy, Brown, and Grant.  Grant is borderline useful, he would basically have been our #6 receiving option at best, and considering we have Maurice Harris, we wont miss him. Murphy is just surplus with both Preston Smith and Ryan Anderson at that spot, Smith who put up Trent Murphy numbers this past season.  The only reason we would need him is for depth.

That leaves the only 3 real losses being Cousins, Breeland, and Brown.  Supposedly we replaced Cousins with Alex Smith.  That leaves our losses as Breeland and Brown, and to me, if we bring in someone like DRC, that means the real loss we have had this season is Brown, who Im hopeful we will resign or replace with like for like.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Said differently, we got Howie Roseman turning the Eagles around in 2 years by being aggressive.  If Bruce Allen goes in this off season by losing a ton of players and he doesn't make up ground with other signings and they go 8-8 or whatever -- I think its adios amigo to Bruce Allen.  What is he going to sell the 10th season is the charm?   

Do I think Bruce is incompetent - yes.  Do I think he's dumb about his own self-preservation?  No.  And I think he'd be setting up his own plank by playing things out the way it looks now.  Plus Jay I presume is in the mix.  I do trust Jay.  So I suspect they got some things cooking.   Will see.     

Not exactly sure why you quoted me here. I've not said any different, in fact I've said basically the same to you.

6 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah this to me is the operative point.  The whole go young-comp pick stuff.  I am actually 100% on board with that. That is if they didn't trade for Alex Smith.  But they did trade for him.  And gave up a pick and a young player.  Now, IMO you got to play out that hand. 

IMO you got Alex at probably his peak year now, at 34.  He's unlikely to be getting better and better as he gets older.  Also, you got the cheapest year of his contract now -- this year.  It's a go for the kill year.  If they don't do it -- and it doesn't work there are likely going to be heads that roll.  And I am typically a pro stability guy.  But in this case if this is the hand they run with and it fails -- jobs deserved to be lost.  And I won't cry over it in the context of Bruce specifically.

I just don't see them playing it out, though.  There is still time to make some big moves.  So I am still relaxed watching everything unfold.

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Not exactly sure why you quoted me here. I've not said any different, in fact I've said basically the same to you.

I was just elaborating why I don't think Bruce plays out that hand and if he does it will likely be his doom -- sorry didn't imply you were on the other side of the point.  I was explaining my take.

Archived