Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

9 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I get the point you were making, I was more differing with the way you are arguing it.

Personally, my critiques of what the Redskins are currently doing are more nuanced. But the team has set themselves in full "win now" mode. I certainly get why people are wondering why we're not going for the kind of players who could help us do just that.

Can see that but what's to say we can't win now.  We were 7-9 last season with injuries across the board and some very close games that were bagged and blown that could have put us at 10 wins.  Off hand 2 losses were special teams related because of fumbles.  A dropped td pass in another and a blown lead against the saints (puts us at 11).  I really don't feel we are that far off and still think we get a difference maker on d.  Brown was great but with the division we are in and the way the league is going I think we may need to look at more of an average run stopper and a lb with above average coverage.

thinks can change quickly and this isn't a 5-6 win team but it's also not a 12-13 win team.  It's a team that can be competitive and potentially make a run 

A NT and RB will put us in a very good spot as long as we stay more healthy than last year and can find and adequate ILB but we need those first 2 positions first because those will be the difference makers

10 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

I'd look at it as 2 (potentially 3 depending on brown) starters lost and 2 starters gained with all of free agency and draft to go

I look at it like the NFL looks at it with comp picks. If they shut it down right now that’s three free picks. Not personally worried about starters but I get ya

33 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

Only if Eifert and Reed schedule their injuries accordingly so one is available at a time

Amazing!   LOL.  If Reed sleeps in an awkward position it will certainly be a week or two out.  

I kind of wish Stuttering John still did his schtick from the Howard Stern show and ask a few of the players at their press conferences for their signing  

"How much of this money will go to your coke and whore habit during the offseason?"  

"MUH Family" is code for coke  (Not the cola) and other naughty things. 

47 minutes ago, Nerm said:

As a Cowboy fan, I would hope they avoid Suh.  I have a hard time rooting for a player that will try to hurt others when he gets mad.  I don't follow the NFL closely anymore, but he just does too much potentially dangerous stuff on the field.  It seems like he has a good reputation as far as work ethic, intensity, and desire to win.  I just don't like dirty players.

I agree with you and he’s old. Hard strong pass for me too

1 hour ago, steve09ru said:

Can see that but what's to say we can't win now.  We were 7-9 last season with injuries across the board and some very close games that were bagged and blown that could have put us at 10 wins.  Off hand 2 losses were special teams related because of fumbles.  A dropped td pass in another and a blown lead against the saints (puts us at 11).  I really don't feel we are that far off and still think we get a difference maker on d.  Brown was great but with the division we are in and the way the league is going I think we may need to look at more of an average run stopper and a lb with above average coverage.

thinks can change quickly and this isn't a 5-6 win team but it's also not a 12-13 win team.  It's a team that can be competitive and potentially make a run 

A NT and RB will put us in a very good spot as long as we stay more healthy than last year and can find and adequate ILB but we need those first 2 positions first because those will be the difference makers

The point isn't whether we can win now or not, but if you're going for it, you go for it, fully.

As for your point, people have a real knack for looking at what could have gone better and ignoring what could have gone worse. We have some key players who have real injury histories, so as bad as the injury bug was last year, it might not be as much better next year as people are counting on. The schedule was tough, but next year's looks harder to me.

Last year, the Rams seemed to hit their stride around week 6, we got them before that. We got Arizona and Denver when their QB situations had rendered them terrible. We got a game against Dallas without Elliot. We got SF before Garappolo took over. We had two games against a Giants team that was killed by injuries too. 6 of our 9 losses were more than one possession games, two of the other three were by exactly 8 points. 4 of our 7 wins were close games. 

Looking at the NFC, we really need to beat out a legit title contender to even get a playoff berth, not to mention multiple good teams. Now, "anything can happen" and all that, but it's a major uphill battle for a team that doesn't seem to be doing enough to improve.

3 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Maybe, but the entire NFL knew Smith would likely be available, right? And within the same article Jay is quoted talking about numerous options and paths he was fine with. So it’s hard to think that’s what he meant taken within that context. Very hard. 

Not sure how it all went down, but Chiefs may have been one to say deal is done if Fuller is involved— Thus surprising Jay and staff at opportunity to close deal. 

It appeared Jay was doing a bit of coach speak and backing up his guy McCoy. 

With that said, if it comes out Jay had no clue, I’d jump to side of being cynical and participate in a throwing up of the hands with regards to FO. 

so lets work this out.  the 7-9 redskins swapped kirk for alex smith.  they have signed one WR with injury history and one season over 700 yards.  theyve lost multiple players on both sides of the ball and have done nothing to replace them so far.  most top flight free agents are gone.  we have only 6 draft picks.  bruce and doug are stooges.

someone tell me why we arent staring at 5-11, staff and FO being fired, and a dumpster fire of a season?

1 minute ago, Garcon More Wine said:

so lets work this out.  the 7-9 redskins swapped kirk for alex smith.  they have signed one WR with injury history and one season over 700 yards.  theyve lost multiple players on both sides of the ball and have done nothing to replace them so far.  most top flight free agents are gone.  we have only 6 draft picks.  bruce and doug are stooges.

someone tell me why we arent staring at 5-11, staff and FO being fired, and a dumpster fire of a season?

Two words = Global Warming

Why aren't we staring at 5-11?  Because we're staring at 0-16. You can rest assured that Bruce will replace everyone that we've lost with a bunch of scrubs. That's who he is and what he does!!  Oh, and let's not forget the biggest Stooge of them all, the one who's in charge of this circus, Dan Snyder. 

4 minutes ago, Garcon More Wine said:

Wr is an uprgrade from what we lost and will help open up the offense and put crowder back in the slot. 

murphy didn't play last year (save 7.5 million)

breeland will be replaced by someone already on the team for 7 million cheaper. 

Brown and ilb replacement is still unknown 

long replaced by roullier and saving 6-7 million I'm guessing (haven't seen contract)

gillette and Murphy open up more reps for smith Allen and harvey

so we save 21.5 million per year (probably around 13-14 in cap) for players that didn't play or are replaceable to upgrade elsewhere potentially

1 minute ago, steve09ru said:

Wr is an uprgrade from what we lost and will help open up the offense and put crowder back in the slot. 

murphy didn't play last year (save 7.5 million)

breeland will be replaced by someone already on the team for 7 million cheaper. 

Brown and ilb replacement is still unknown 

long replaced by roullier and saving 6-7 million I'm guessing (haven't seen contract)

gillette and Murphy open up more reps for smith Allen and harvey

so we save 21.5 million per year (probably around 13-14 in cap) for players that didn't play or are replaceable to upgrade elsewhere potentially

so we lose grant and pryor, and replace with richardson.  if hes healthy, ok this is fine.

breeland is gonna be replaced by someone on our roster?  so someone is magically a starting corner now?  wishful thinking.

brown and ILB replacement is unknown, and terrifying considering our dline is a joke outside of allen (who again was hurt last year)

long swapped for rouiller, ok thats fine, but we still just lost depth that we need to replace (and long was solid, nothing great but he wasnt tyler catalina bad)

galette and murphy open more reps for guys that have produced nothing, again wishful thinking.

so we save a bunch of money that nobody cares about that we arent spending, and we're banking alex smith (whos thrown more than 20 TDs twice) to lead us to a 10-6 wild card berth, with a roster that was below average last year.

you must be new here lol

57 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I look at it like the NFL looks at it with comp picks. If they shut it down right now that’s three free picks. Not personally worried about starters but I get ya

It's not that straight forward - 5 lost 2 gained gets 3 comp picks. It may end up that way but not just plus/minus - although that is also part of the equation. It's also about contract amount, playing time and post season awards. The equation is not known outside the NFL as they will not release it - kind of stupid for them really. But I do know for a fact it's not as simple as you presented it. 

Here is really good article from overthecap.com. It does the best job I have seen of explaining it.  

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

7 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Two words = Global Warming

Two more words = Alex Smith

Since 2011 his starting record is 69 wins with 30 losses and 1 tie. 

If your believing that Alex Smith is a loser QB your gonna get a 5-11 record from wake up and stop. Just stop. 

For the record Kirk in his entire career starting has a record of 26 wins 30 losses with 1 tie

I figure if we are just stating opinions that’s mine. 

Just now, bobandweave said:

Two more words = Alex Smith

Since 2011 his starting record is 69 wins with 30 losses and 1 tie. 

If your believing that Alex Smith is a loser QB your gonna get a 5-11 record from wake up and stop. Just stop. 

For the record Kirk in his entire career starting has a record of 26 wins 30 losses with 1 tie

I figure if we are just stating opinions that’s mine. 

alex smith has made a career winning off the backs of killer run games and smothering defenses.  hes so good that hes been passed over for unknown rookies twice on two different teams.

when our defense and run game are up to the level of KC or his teams in SF with gore and that willis led unit, i'll start calling him a winner.  

sadly most of you will see how bad he is if everything else around him isnt perfect.  if you thought kirk needed everything perfect to operate you have seen nothing yet lol

does everyone remember alex smith's amazing 2014 campaign, that included him not throwing a TD to a WR all season?  kirk was throwing 25 and 4100+ every year for 3 years with no run game and no defense whatsoever, and still had a winning record over 3 seasons.  smith is gonna fail miserably here (which sucks because we were actually going in the right direction, and now we are back to vinny land where im just hoping everybody gets fired and we start from scratch).

1 minute ago, bh32 said:

Are people really worried about comp picks? You all should worry about the middle of this defense as they could not stop the run...all they have done is get weaker on defense.

32nd against the run is good right?  or am i reading the rankings backwards?  asking for a friend.

does everyone remember alex smith's amazing 2014 campaign, that included him not throwing a TD to a WR all season?  kirk was throwing 25 and 4100+ every year for 3 years with no run game and no defense whatsoever, and still had a winning record over 3 seasons.  smith is gonna fail miserably here (which sucks because we were actually going in the right direction, and now we are back to vinny land where im just hoping everybody gets fired and we start from scratch).

32nd against the run is good right?  or am i reading the rankings backwards?  asking for a friend.

No..that is bad..means they cant stop the run

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It's not that straight forward - 5 lost 2 gained gets 3 comp picks. It may end up that way but not just plus/minus - although that is also part of the equation. It's also about contract amount, playing time and post season awards. The equation is not known outside the NFL as they will not release it - kind of stupid for them really. But I do know for a fact it's not as simple as you presented it. 

Here is really good article from overthecap.com. It does the best job I have seen of explaining it.  

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

IAccording to your article it says only a very small deduction goes for playing time and post season awards. The Cowboys last season lost six players and signed one and got four picks and none of those guys were expensive or very good. Point is if you research this more there are plenty of websites out there with articles about compensatory picks that don’t cite references from before 2011 as its main source. 

Bottom line, if a team losses more players then it signs in free agency they will get picks for the losses. So far the Redskins have signed one, and lost five. Traded players don’t count against this formula. So they are in line to get free picks next year no doubt.

That changes as soon as Bruce starts up with his tendency to sign garbage players so they are best suited to resign the guys they had last year then to go after the players who are still out there imo 

I'd actually have hope for this team if we broke the bank and signed Poe, Gaines, Eric Reid, and Preston Brown, and some serviceable versatile O-lineman.

Yeah its a lot of money, but hell its not mine, and I don't want Allen just sitting there watching it, what good does that do

11 minutes ago, Garcon More Wine said:

so we lose grant and pryor, and replace with richardson.  if hes healthy, ok this is fine.

breeland is gonna be replaced by someone on our roster?  so someone is magically a starting corner now?  wishful thinking.

brown and ILB replacement is unknown, and terrifying considering our dline is a joke outside of allen (who again was hurt last year)

long swapped for rouiller, ok thats fine, but we still just lost depth that we need to replace (and long was solid, nothing great but he wasnt tyler catalina bad)

galette and murphy open more reps for guys that have produced nothing, again wishful thinking.

so we save a bunch of money that nobody cares about that we arent spending, and we're banking alex smith (whos thrown more than 20 TDs twice) to lead us to a 10-6 wild card berth, with a roster that was below average last year.

you must be new here lol

Breeland has been very inconsistent (everyone wanted him gone the year before because of horrible play) and we have Dunbar and Moreau who showed well plus hosley who has good potential.  Also have Nicholson coming back at safety

I wouldnt say dline is a joke, we are missing a NT which I pointed out as being a very important get.  That makes or breaks your whole line.  Allen will be back healthy with ioannidis on the edge.

oline depth can be replaced in the draft as we have continued to do year over year successfully

smith produced at a much higher level than either of those 2 alone, and Robinson played better than both as well.

so it's not necessarily wishful thinking but young progression and increased reps along with savings for future.

Just now, steve09ru said:

Breeland has been very inconsistent (everyone wanted him gone the year before because of horrible play) and we have Dunbar and Moreau who showed well plus hosley who has good potential.  Also have Nicholson coming back at safety

I wouldnt say dline is a joke, we are missing a NT which I pointed out as being a very important get.  That makes or breaks your whole line.  Allen will be back healthy with ioannidis on the edge.

oline depth can be replaced in the draft as we have continued to do year over year successfully

smith produced at a much higher level than either of those 2 alone, and Robinson played better than both as well.

so it's not necessarily wishful thinking but young progression and increased reps along with savings for future.

im not upset at breeland leaving, im upset that we're counting on guys who showed very little last year to step in and start.  thats a stupid strategy unless these guys are legit ready (and nothing i saw last year made me believe they are)

the dline is a joke, thats not an argument.  dead last in run defense.  allen and ioanndiis are the only real players.  and yes we dont have an NT, and we refuse to get one.  since haslett took over in 2010 and switched to a 3-4 we've literally never had one.  i have zero hope we are gonna get one at this point, its only been 9 seasons lol.

oline depth ok ill buy that.

smith leans on run games and defenses.  thats his MO if youve followed him.  he doesnt throw TDs.  he dumps off, and doesnt turn the ball over.  and yes i know last year he randomly decided to air it out to tyreek hill a million times.  if he can duplicate that then thats good, but thats an outlier rather than a trend.  hes literally a better version of jason campbell lol.

i see no plan of action here, i see smith has a "lets show the fans we arent tanking this season so we arent laughed at for starting colt", weve made no real moves in FA (yes i know its early, but the rest of the guys are lower tier guys, and our FA class last year was frigging abysmal so i have no hope.  and we only have 6 picks, so we may be now forced to do our trademark once every 3 years where we trade back 92 times to recoup picks, and bruce/doug are morons and will screw this up.

bruce has a worst record than vinny as GM, even if you include mcloughlans years.  seriously let that sit in.  vinny was an absolute laughing stock stooge, and bruce has won less games than we did when vinny was in charge.  

37 minutes ago, Garcon More Wine said:

The Front Office and Coaches all feel that with all the players placed on IR last season when they return it will help more then many people think. 
They also were hoping to resign a few of the players we lost - but would you have paid Ryan Grant 7.5 million , or 8 million to Breeland or 7 million for Trent Murphy?  

All those are over paid.

Archived