Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

24 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Imagine how pumped we'd be about what looks to be a little re-tooling effort if we hadn't made the Alex Smith trade, and still had Fuller and that 3rd. 

We'd be happily counting our comp picks and looking to next year's QB class if no one falls to 13. 

Instead we're in this weird artificial window where we feel like we have make splashes and win games, even though we suck, because Bruce was allowed to attempt to go into emergency job saving mode. 

Sh'yeah, right lol...

ES would be ****ing to high heaven about the crappy 3-13 season ahead with McCoy behind center, letting Cousins go without getting anything in return OR having a viable backup plan, how none of the QBs in the draft are all that great and the one or two that could be good won't be there at #13 anyway, that the way the FO botched Scot and Kirk means they'll botch the comp pics as well next year so who cares if they get any, on how all the players being signed elsewhere shows that Allen systematically dismantled the team Scot put together out of ego/pride/whatever...etc, yadda, blah blah. Still having fuller and that 3rd round pick would barely make a dent, nonetheless have ES members pumped.

18 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

What top tier DL has signed with another team that you wanted the Skins to sign?  Wilkerson? 

Nobody yet but I'm worried that Allen is going to go the cheap route again. I understand when one of Richardson, Poe or Logan sign somewhere the others will probably follow soon after. My biggest fear is we have Traded for Smith and will go cheap with the rest of the roster. 

HTTR 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just elaborating why I don't think Bruce plays out that hand and if he does it will likely be his doom -- sorry didn't imply you were on the other side of the point.  I was explaining my take.

You don't have to be sorry, it just didn't really have anything to do with what I said. But whatever. We're pretty much in agreement on most stuff, except I have a lot less faith in Gruden than you do.

18 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Imagine how pumped we'd be about what looks to be a little re-tooling effort if we hadn't made the Alex Smith trade, and still had Fuller and that 3rd. 

We'd be happily counting our comp picks and looking to next year's QB class if no one falls to 13. 

Instead we're in this weird artificial window where we feel like we have make splashes and win games, even though we suck, because Bruce was allowed to attempt to go into emergency job saving mode. 

I would have been fine letting Cousins leave and winning 4 games this year with McCoy or something (assuming a rookie QB didn't fall to us) and looking yo next year. But this organization would never do that and instead we get half measures and desperation...but not enough competence to go full win-now. 

Yup, starts at the top. Always reactive, never proactive, little to no foresight, and everyone beneath that leadership suffers for it. Unfortunately, we’ve still got some who conflate said leadership with those beneath them. 

That being said, they’ve still got a chance here to get a lot done. And we’ve seen how knocking one draft out of the park and gaining just two or three major impact players can boost an average team to contender status. 

So, as down as it feels now and as hard as it is to trust this structure and the qualifications of those leading it, the opportunity is still there. If the right voices win out, and if guys like Kyle Smith are as good as some claim, you never know. 

6 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

Did Brown sign somewhere else? I keep seeing people say we lost him

People are just assuming he's gone. 

Truth is the longer things go the better chance he returns. It would also mean his price tag would be a bit lower. 

8 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Nobody yet but I'm worried that Allen is going to go the cheap route again. I understand when one of Richardson, Poe or Logan sign somewhere the others will probably follow soon after. My biggest fear is we have Traded for Smith and will go cheap with the rest of the roster. 

HTTR 

They did sign Paul Richardson who will be a key weapon for Smith.  Surely the will draft a RB early too to be a weapon for Smith as well.  

Man, I thought everyone hated when Vinny was here and hoped we get out of that.  Now all I'm seeing is how people want to throw money at every guy out there like Vinny.

Patience and don't panic and overspend.  From what I'm seeing, the majority don't see us competing anyway so why are you all worried about grabbing players at the pricetags these players are going for when it's only going to hurt us in future years?

People also keep saying the problem is Bruce being "cheap" but that's not really it. One of the reasons I've said we should do a mini rebuild this offseason is our cap situation isn't terrible, but it's nowhere near as good as some think it is. Same with this FA period, I have posted about the numbers multiple times to show that we don't have the space many think we do, but it gets mostly ignored.

Now, I expected, and still expect, that Bruce will backload a couple of deals, maybe throw in a restructured contract somewhere, so he can get some players signed. He has to, he needs to prop this team up to save his job. But he's also not a moron, he doesn't want to keep that job for one year and then have it blow up next year. So he has to be somewhat cognizant of next offseason's cap issues. So he's going to do what he can, but there are limits.

It's not about him being "cheap" or not wanting to go get guys to help, it's about the overall situation he's bungled the team into.

16 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Sh'yeah, right lol...

ES would be ****ing to high heaven about the crappy 3-13 season ahead with McCoy behind center, letting Cousins go without getting anything in return OR having a viable backup plan, how none of the QBs in the draft are all that great and the one or two that could be good won't be there at #13 anyway, that the way the FO botched Scot and Kirk means they'll botch the comp pics as well next year so who cares if they get any, on how all the players being signed elsewhere shows that Allen systematically dismantled the team Scot put together out of ego/pride/whatever...etc, yadda, blah blah. Still having fuller and that 3rd round pick would barely make a dent, nonetheless have ES members pumped.

I think you're underestimating the amount of people that wanted to go into a soft rebuild when in became apparent Cousins was leaving (since a true rebuild and ditching Bruce/Gruden at the same time wasn't happening), accept a down year and build the rest of the roster through the draft like we've been doing, and figure out QB in the 2018 or 2019 draft. 

But I get what you're saying--its easy to theorize about the future success of a rebuild in the off-season when there's a draft around the corner. But lots of people who say they wish we'd rebuild after a down year find themselves screaming for victories during the season when the games are being played and they each seem winnable. The nature of fanhood.

3 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Man, I thought everyone hated when Vinny was here and hoped we get out of that.  Now all I'm seeing is how people want to throw money at every guy out there alas Vinny.

People, in general, just like hating things they can't control. Vinny before, Bruce now. 

1 minute ago, Unbias said:

People, in general, just like hating things they can't control. Vinny before, Bruce now. 

people in general loved and love the acquisitions, but when they don't work out somebody is going to burn. Fire up the Jet!

4 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Some of us wanted smart decisions then and, strangely enough, still want them now.

Not a Bruce fan but isn't not overpaying guys who won't improve your team 'smart decisions' ?

Also, people are pegging Bruce as being the issue with resigning these players during their rookie contracts but wouldn't these have been done before their contract year when Scot had the ball in his court?

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

and figure out QB in the 2018 or 2019 draft. 

So possibly 2 years of McCoy and then be starting a rookie QB?  I'm not saying that wouldn't be the best thing for the organization...but to say people would be "pumped" about it is quite a stretch.  Hell, people are pissed when the Skins don't win games by enough points and others (maybe the same people) are ****ting their pants about the upcoming season on day 1 of FA.  I don't think this fan base has the patience you think it does.  ;) 

4 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Suh was just released by the Dolphins...I pray that he does not sign with Dallas.

I saw on NFL Network that they said  Suh is from the Pacific Northwest, and might try to sign with Seattle first.

2 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I missed almost 20 pages. What's the deal with Murphy? Where there many teams interested and got a great deal from Buffalo?

At least 3 teams that I know of (Packers, Patriots, and Bills).

He went to Buffalo.

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think you're underestimating the amount of people that wanted to go into a soft rebuild when in became apparent Cousins was leaving (since a true rebuild and ditching Bruce/Gruden at the same time wasn't happening), accept a down year and build the rest of the roster through the draft like we've been doing, and figure out QB in the 2018 or 2019 draft. 

I think you're forgetting this site's long-ass history of migraine-inducing "debates" over every possible thing the Skins do/don't do/might do/could have done/should have done/thought about doing/were rumored to be doing. And you KNOW there would have been a contingent here that would have been saying "Man, we should have at least tried to trade for Alex Smith...(fill in the blank) got him for a third and a player!" lol...

Archived