Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Good for him, going to a winner too.

It's probably a bit premature to call Jacksonville a "winner". One winning season since 2007. Things change fast in the NFL, just ask Oakland or the Giants or Houston or Miami. All 2016 playoff teams

39 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

The first point you are correct.  They blow.  I don't know about Suh.  He has shown better behavior this past year.  BUT if I am reading correctly, and I hope this this is bull **** are they looking to stock up on compensatory picks in the draft?  Really?  

Stocking up on picks is not a bad way to build a team. Green Bay and New England have been doing it for a decade. 

26 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't like having a glaring hole there either.  I just don't see how we can justify spending that kind of money there.  But at the same time, I'm not sure how they justified shipping the 750K player we had there before.

It was either that or hope one of the QB's fell to you at 13? Of course I guess you could have gone all in for Keenum?

6 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

Please go with him ... please ? 

Nope, I'm staying.  Sorry to rain on your illogical homerfest.

7 minutes ago, Jericho said:

It's probably a bit premature to call Jacksonville a "winner". One winning season since 2007. Things change fast in the NFL, just ask Oakland or the Giants or Houston or Miami. All 2016 playoff teams

Jacksonville looks good for the foreseeable future.  I have no clue if they'll ever go all the way with Bortles, but that defense should be legit for a few years.  He's only signed for 2 years.

So I have a Paul Richardson question for people who were advocating signing him - how good is he as a blocker? We know Jackson wasn't too good of a blocker and didn't even try. Is Richardson similar or does he have any effort? Seattle has been better running the ball so I wonder if he's been a part of it.

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It was either that or hope one of the QB's fell to you at 13? Of course I guess you could have gone all in for Keenum?

He's 5-6M cheaper.  McCarron also got way less than expected.  According to Gruden, they were also looking at Bridgewater.  I'm not in love with any of those three but they were options.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He's 5-6M cheaper.  McCarron also got way less than expected.  According to Gruden, they were also looking at Bridgewater.  I'm not in love with any of those three but they were options.

Fair enough. I actually would have preferred to draft a QB. It is a deep draft at the position. But I am not pissed about them making a move for the number one rated QB in the league last year. The only issue I have with it is you basically have a 3 or 4 year window to win it all now. And if you are going to go with an older vet you should be very aggressive in free agency. It doesnt appear they are at this point. So the front office is contradicting itself by signing an older vet yet still wanting to build through the draft. 

20 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Seriously.... Jay comes up and says we need to get better at stopping the run. 3 top end DT's still available and not even a buzz out of Redskin Park.

WTF...seriously, you have to land one of these DT's. Immediately makes every DL better on the team by rotation and depth. Frees up dropping McSomebody next year and offsetting cost of sign. 

Get this done, it is almost non-negotiable

At last someone on my wavelength, if we let Suh, Richardson, Poe or Logan go elsewhere Allen should be Sacked. It looks like they don't want to give Poe a multi-year deal for the money he wants due to back concerns, so let's move on to the next. We had Wilkerson in DC for 2 days then buckled at the price. Wait for it $5m so he goes to GB. If Suh somehow ends up with the Cowboys with there very lack of cap we might as well claim the wooden spoon 4th place finish in the NFCE now.

ALLEN OUT

HTTR 

I'm starting to wonder about Dan Snyder's liquidity these days. Allen's frugalness seems extreme for nearly any team at this point. But for the Redskins, it's insane.

There is no way of learning this, but I wonder if all the weird investments over the years - Six Flags, whatever that thing with Tom Cruise was, Johnny Rockets, Red Zebra - have started to impact the one true cash cow in Dan's portfolio.

For a large part of Dan's reign, the Redskins were able to use their money advantage to overpay on signing bonuses - cash kills cap, etc. Art once wrote a piece on it, mocking other teams. Now, we are exclusively bargain hunters.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Fair enough. I actually would have preferred to draft a QB.

Same, but I might have felt differently if Alex's deal was less or we had to give up less to get him.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The only issue I have with it is you basically have a 3 or 4 year window to win it all now. And if you are going to go with an older vet you should be very aggressive in free agency. It doesnt appear they are at this point. So the front office is contradicting itself by signing an older vet yet still wanting to build through the draft. 

I feel like you always have a 3 year window to win it all with all the moving parts on an NFL team.

But agreed, it would be nice to see some more action on this thread.  I'm doubting we see that though at this point.  Keim seems so damn depressed that he's got nothing to do. :ols:

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm starting to wonder about Dan Snyder's liquidity these days. Allen's frugalness seems extreme for nearly any team at this point. But for the Redskins, it's insane.

There is no way of learning this, but I wonder if all the weird investments over the years - Six Flags, whatever that thing with Tom Cruise was, Johnny Rockets, Red Zebra - have started to impact the one true cash cow in Dan's portfolio.

For a large part of Dan's reign, the Redskins were able to use their money advantage to overpay on signing bonuses - cash kills cap, etc. Art once wrote a piece on it, mocking other teams. Now, we are exclusively bargain hunters.

I brought this up yesterday in this thread. Removing 20K seats out of that abomination of stadium may be taking it's toll?

11 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The number of Johnny Rockets locations that are still open continues to dwindle.  I think it's down to about 6 in the area now and 2 of those are at FedEx and Six Flags.

29 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Stocking up on picks is not a bad way to build a team. Green Bay and New England have been doing it for a decade. 

That kind of strategy knows at least to have some good scouting department and some great guys at making decisions.

Otherwise, all those draft picks are getting you nowhere.

14 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The salary cap is based on a % of the annual shared revenue of the league, so when it comes to paying players and filling a roster that money has already been made and provided by the league. 

If he's got liquidity issues then it would show in the form of cheaping out on the facilities, organizational staff and coaches. 

18 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

We have just forked out significant money on Smith, and there are likely extensions in the works for Preston Smith and Crowder ... the big difference is we are for the most part retaining our own players (the ones they really need to keep) well before they hit free agency. - Personally it kind of makes more sense to pay your own stars over raking over the coles of other teams has beens 

New England is notorious for taking guys towards the end of their careers and giving them a shot. And they do it on the cheap.   And Green Bay has had their own struggles.  I think they should have more then one SB win with Rodgers. But it takes a good team and I don't agree given our FO woes that this is a good strategy for us. 

Archived