Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm starting to wonder about Dan Snyder's liquidity these days. Allen's frugalness seems extreme for nearly any team at this point. But for the Redskins, it's insane.

There is no way of learning this, but I wonder if all the weird investments over the years - Six Flags, whatever that thing with Tom Cruise was, Johnny Rockets, Red Zebra - have started to impact the one true cash cow in Dan's portfolio.

For a large part of Dan's reign, the Redskins were able to use their money advantage to overpay on signing bonuses - cash kills cap, etc. Art once wrote a piece on it, mocking other teams. Now, we are exclusively bargain hunters.

Can't say the thought hasn't crossed my own mind before but truth is they just gave Alex Smith 71 million which would have to be sent to the NFL escrow before the trade was finalized. So he's not strapped. If he was they would have gone with a rookie QB this year. 

I think the teams just being run better now. I mean when else did we ever see all our draft picks get picked up by other teams for big money deals like this? I don't remember. It's like the NFL in love with Redskins now. Its fun to watch, but it better make some here complaining all the damn time stop and ask themselves if they know anything at all about football since the rest of the league sees talent here and they paying out the nose for it now. 

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm starting to wonder about Dan Snyder's liquidity these days. Allen's frugalness seems extreme for nearly any team at this point. But for the Redskins, it's insane.

There is no way of learning this, but I wonder if all the weird investments over the years - Six Flags, whatever that thing with Tom Cruise was, Johnny Rockets, Red Zebra - have started to impact the one true cash cow in Dan's portfolio.

For a large part of Dan's reign, the Redskins were able to use their money advantage to overpay on signing bonuses - cash kills cap, etc. Art once wrote a piece on it, mocking other teams. Now, we are exclusively bargain hunters.

I have been wondering about that for years since Redskins Park is a dump.  Go look at the new Vikings Training facility.  WOW!!!   I would sign there just for the facility alone.   Redskins Park is small...worn out...broken up pavement...broken mini blinds on every window...and they went cheap to give Shanahan an indoor field by blowing up that ugly inflatable eyesore after years of not having anyway to practice in bad weather that had the team resorting to using ballrooms at conference centers.  SMH. Dan has got to be asset rich but cash poor.  His wealth is on paper based on the intrinsic value of the team, stadium and facility.  Paper wealth is always inflated 

OK, trying for nuggets here... Benson Mayowa still taking visits; heading to the Colts next. Had visited the Redskins. Would be OLB depth. Galette remains a possibility too.

Chris Russell on a few minutes ago, he thought Poe or Logan a possibility, Richardson doubtful. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, trying for nuggets here... Benson Mayowa still taking visits; heading to the Colts next. Had visited the Redskins. Would be OLB depth. Galette remains a possibility too.

Chris Russell on a few minutes ago, he thought Poe or Logan a possibility, Richardson doubtful. 

Logan signed later last year, as well, didn't he?

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Logan is my preference as he can also act as a 3rd DT, but I sure wouldn’t be mad about Poe (more impact at the nose).  If there was a touch more consensus over Payne and Vea, I’d say just wait for the draft, but 1) there’s not, and 2) I’d like the flexibility to trade back from 13.  

5 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

I have been wondering about that for years since Redskins Park is a dump.  Go look at the new Vikings Training facility.  WOW!!!   I would sign there just for the facility alone.   Redskins Park is small...worn out...broken up pavement...broken mini blinds on every window...and they went cheap to give Shanahan an indoor field by blowing up that ugly inflatable eyesore after years of not having anyway to practice in bad weather that had the team resorting to using ballrooms at conference centers.  SMH. Dan has got to be asset rich but cash poor.  His wealth is on paper based on the intrinsic value of the team, stadium and facility.  Paper wealth is always inflated 

Not sure if this isn't known but any time that an NFL player signs a contract, the NFL team that signs him has to send the guaranteed money to an escrow account or handed to the player directly. The NFL gives no leeway to this. To me the team had a clear much cheaper way to deal with he who must not be named leaving and choose to go the expensive route and had to give him or the escrow 71 million bucks

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2390741-what-you-need-to-know-about-nfl-free-agency-the-ultimate-preview-or-review

I personally don't buy that the team or the owner is strapped for cash. 

I think the teams just being run better. 

I think they want the market to cool off some and then we will see some movement. Right now its too hot, 9 million for Niles Paul over 2 years lol. I was just here this morning saying I will miss him and appreciated his team first attitude and how we had to replace him on teams but for that much money hell no I wouldn't want the team to sign him. Once the market cools off and contracts are reasonable (10 million for Brown....lol another one) then they will sign people. 

5 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Logan signed later last year, as well, didn't he?

If I recall a few days after FA. 

They are off to a slower FA start than last year.  3 of the 5 major FAs were signed by now.  I am guessing a signing happening today or tomorrow, will see.  I'd be happy with Poe and to a lesser extent Logan.  If Seattle is all in on Suh -- that might help with Richardson.  As for Richardson the two teams that seem in on him were Seattle and I read last night the Vikings.   We heard though before FA that the Redskins liked Richardson.

I have to wonder what the bidding war would have looked like for Alex Smith if he would have been a FA.  Sam Bradford gets a one year $20 million contract with AZ... I think Smith would rival what Cousins got.  I think some praise has to be given to the FO for making this deal when they did (granted it was to remedy a huge blunder they made prior with Cousins but still..)  I was luke warm on the trade when it happened but I have to wonder what things would look like now had they not made the trade then.

I would like to take a look at Pouncey.  He has played G, only 28, and as a released FA the Skins could pay him more than Kirk and it wouldn't affect comp picks

also, four comp picks seems to be the maximum, th Skins are currently at that.  I think all that happens now affects where the picks would land

14 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

I have to wonder what the bidding war would have looked like for Alex Smith if he would have been a FA.  Sam Bradford gets a one year $20 million contract with AZ...

i dont know how bradford keeps getting paid. its really incredible. 

I for one love how we are approaching things. Some of our best FA signings and trades over the years were for younger guys that were on the brink of breaking out. I think Richardson fits into that category. And similar to a few years ago with Garcon, Jackson, and Crowder I feel as if Doctson, Richardson, and Crowder will all compliment each other's skillets very well. Really dig that signing.

Let the market cool and go from there. Here we are not signing average guys to above average contracts and people are still complaining. I get the feeling some people just love to complain.

Also, the teams that draft well and build well through the draft are constantly reloading via the draft. It doesn't mean you resign most if not all of the guys from every draft class. That would be impossible. Murphy, Grant, Breeland and Long all have replacements in house, guys that WE drafted just last year. Just because they aren't household names yet doesn't mean they aren't capable or the coaching staff doesn't believe in them. Hell, pretty sure our fanbase wrote off Murphy, Grant and Long after their first years too :rofl89:

I'd really like to see us make an effort to sign Tyrann though. He's 25, an excellent football player at somewhat a position of need, and would bring an intensity I love on defense. Plus he wouldn't factor in the comp pick equation. Logan/Poe would be fine by me too. There are still some guys out there and time left to make moves. 90% of people in here need to take a deep breather or admit they all would operate like Dan Snyder back in 2000 if given the reigns. Sheesh

7 minutes ago, grego said:

The "If" is too good to pass up.

I think he was the highest rated QB since Elway to come out in the draft.  His skillset is unreal, just health, of course.

13 minutes ago, grego said:

he had two teams pursuing him and as injured as he is, he's been active more the past two years than some of the guys getting signed.  I believe the example used on the NFL Network were Bridgewater and MCCown

43 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I think the teams just being run better now. I mean when else did we ever see all our draft picks get picked up by other teams for big money deals like this? I don't remember. It's like the NFL in love with Redskins now. Its fun to watch, but it better make some here complaining all the damn time stop and ask themselves if they know anything at all about football since the rest of the league sees talent here and they paying out the nose for it now. 

Weren't you just ranting about BA being a putz within the last 24 hours?  If teams are still paying through the nose for our 2018 draft picks in 2022, that would be a better sign of just how well BA is running things.

There you go again, btw, with your football knowledge schtick.  Does the B & W in bobandweave stand for Bill Walsh? 

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Former #Bears and #Packers G Josh Sitton is negotiating a multi-year deal with the #Dolphins and it’s expected to get done, source said. Some immediate interior help from the free agent.

He would have been the perfect stop gap OG for 2 to 3 years here in DC while we developed a drafted OG.  Oh well.  OG will be in 1st or 2nd round, my guess.

20 minutes ago, DC9 said:

The "If" is too good to pass up.

I think he was the highest rated QB since Elway to come out in the draft.  His skillset is unreal, just health, of course.

And that talent is still evident when he plays. He just doesnt play very often :)

Archived