Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

33 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm starting to wonder about Dan Snyder's liquidity these days. Allen's frugalness seems extreme for nearly any team at this point. But for the Redskins, it's insane.

There is no way of learning this, but I wonder if all the weird investments over the years - Six Flags, whatever that thing with Tom Cruise was, Johnny Rockets, Red Zebra - have started to impact the one true cash cow in Dan's portfolio.

For a large part of Dan's reign, the Redskins were able to use their money advantage to overpay on signing bonuses - cash kills cap, etc. Art once wrote a piece on it, mocking other teams. Now, we are exclusively bargain hunters.

I said this 2 or 3 years ago.  Living in Carolina I've watched what having a owner who lost their income stream and what it did to the team's ability to sign players (Hurricanes).  We have a new owner now, thank goodness. 

4 minutes ago, daveakl said:

I think you have to

I've been doing this for years... the second a put an unknown name up there we'll see about 200 people in the thread ****ing about a punter who is probably a camp body, anyways...

2 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I've been doing this for years... the second a put an unknown name up there we'll see about 200 people in the thread ****ing about a punter who is probably a camp body, anyways...

It's ES, the second you put any player's name up there you get 200 people in the thread ****ing. :)

35 minutes ago, Unbias said:

The salary cap is based on a % of the annual shared revenue of the league, so when it comes to paying players and filling a roster that money has already been made and provided by the league. 

If he's got liquidity issues then it would show in the form of cheaping out on the facilities, organizational staff and coaches. 

One way to "cheat" the cap is to overpay on signing bonuses and then count on a rising cap to limit the impact of that hit over time. It's how the Skins operated for years.

Now, that didn't exactly lead to championship parades, but the complete and total abandonment of any level of aggressiveness (including the bizarre dance with Cousins in the one area where everyone overpays) is just strange. We're suddenly acting like a cheaper version of the Bengals.

PS

I think Green Bay's front office sucks. That team is dreadful save for one player who is possibly the best player in the history of the most important position in sports.

When it comes to overpaying veterans, it is something you do when you already have a championship caliber team. Not a "could possibly fight for a wildcard spot" team.   

When the Broncos signed DeMarcus Ware he was a shell of his former self, but his desire to win a championship gave Denver confidence they would get every last bit of the gas tank out of him and he was not signed to carry a pass rush.  

Over the Snyder era a lot of the times the problem wasn't with who they signed, it was for what role they were signed for. 

10 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

PS

I think Green Bay's front office sucks. That team is dreadful save for one player who is possibly the best player in the history of the most important position in sports.

In the words of the great Apollo Creed...

Ding, Ding

I truly think Danny is readying a bid for Newcastle United.

Just my take.

He's wanted to by a Premier League club for a long time and they're as ripe as ever.  To be fair they've been as ripe as ever for years.

That said, I don't think it effects day to day business on our end.  I think we're trying to build a team the right way and that takes a loooong time.

We're in about year 4 or 5 of probably 7 or 8.

Gone:  Kirk Cousins. Trent Murphy.  Bashaud Breeland.  Kendall Fuller.  Spencer Long.  Niles Paul.  Possibly Zack Brown.

Gained:  Alex Smith.  Paul Richardson.  

Looking at 5-11 season.  Or worse.

Doesn’t look like Washington is a desirable landing spot anymore.  

2 minutes ago, DC9 said:

That said, I don't think it effects day to day business on our end.  I think we're trying to build a team the right way and that takes a loooong time.

No, it doesn't. Philly went from gutted shell to Super Bowl winner in, like, 18 months. We're in Year 5 of the slowest rebuild in recorded history. The big move has been to obtain a caretaker QB to keep us at 8-8 until the QB we won't draft for two years is ready to take the reigns. At this rate, we'll be ready to contend in 2022.

3 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Gone:  Kirk Cousins. Trent Murphy.  Bashaud Breeland.  Kendall Fuller.  Spencer Long.  Niles Paul.  Possibly Zack Brown.

Gained:  Alex Smith.  Paul Richardson.  

Looking at 5-11 season.  

So we lose all that talent and only have a drop off of 2 games. Not bad.

Just now, XtremeFan55 said:

The only reason why it ever was in the first place is due to Redskins One & the blank checks. 

Josh Norman did see promise in the team and Kirk on the heels of the 2015 season, but then again he also saw a big fat check that went along with it.

28 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

P Tress Way is a Pro-Bowler with a boot

.... Redskins sign competition

K Dustin Hopkins misses quite a few, injures hamstring, Nick Rose comes in and does a better job

..... Redskins award Hopkins with long-term contract.

....Redskins

Dustin Hopkins wasn’t actually that bad last season, when he was kicking. He was 14/17.  And i still believe Hopkins was put in horrible situations in 2016 (missing the game winner in London still inexcusable). 

JMO, but i like Hopkins as our kicker :) i do get why others aren’t too wild about it though). 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I have a Paul Richardson question for people who were advocating signing him - how good is he as a blocker? We know Jackson wasn't too good of a blocker and didn't even try. Is Richardson similar or does he have any effort? Seattle has been better running the ball so I wonder if he's been a part of it.

So, my initial thoughts were "he's not a big guy- probably a liability when it comes to run-blocking" then I stumbled upon this little article from a few years back... Now I'm even more excited about the signing than I was before!!

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/01/09/fr-atur-day-hawkville-paul-richardson-making-most-his-dual-role-opportunities

How well has Richardson blocked? Unprompted, Lynch singled Richardson out for his blocking after the regular-season finale against the St. Louis Rams.

Told of that, Richardson smiled before offering, “ ’Shawn runs the ball really well. He’s exciting to watch. It almost takes away from it when I’m in and I hear the crowd cheering and I’m trying to block. I want to see what he’s doing with the ball, as well. But I appreciate that compliment from Marshawn, he’s a great running back and he’s a great teammate.”

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

No, it doesn't. Philly went from gutted shell to Super Bowl winner in, like, 18 months. We're in Year 5 of the slowest rebuild in recorded history. The big move has been to obtain a caretaker QB to keep us at 8-8 until the QB we won't draft for two years is ready to take the reigns. At this rate, we'll be ready to contend in 2022.

Philly added about 5 pieces to put them over the top.  They were a VERY good team and had a very good defense in 2016.  They were in every game and almost beat us both times (I was at the game in Philly).  They just literally had no weapons.  They weren't as bad off as people thought they were and as we saw in the playoffs they were very well coached.

Everyone on here seemed to disagree with me that they were just a few weapons away... well, they got a bunch of RBs and Alshon.

2 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Philly added about 5 pieces to put them over the top.  They were a VERY good team and had a very good defense in 2016.  They were in every game and almost beat us both times (I was at the game in Philly).  They just literally had no weapons.  They weren't as bad off as people thought they were and as we saw in the playoffs they were very well coached.

Everyone on here seemed to disagree with me that they were just a few weapons away... well, they got a bunch of RBs and Alshon.

To add to all this, it just goes to show, how quickly other teams build. We are somehow stuck in mud.

6 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Dustin Hopkins wasn’t actually that bad last season, when he was kicking. He was 14/17.  And i still believe Hopkins was put in horrible situations in 2016 (missing the game winner in London still inexcusable). 

JMO, but i like Hopkins as our kicker :) i do get why others aren’t too wild about it though). 

It helps that most of his kickoffs go through the end zone. 

@Lombardi's_kid_brother No need to worry about Daniel Snyder

All numbers in milion dollars

2017 2016 2015
Player Expenses 196 193 170
Operating Income 146 115 124,9
Revenu 482 447 439
Value 3100 2950 2850

We are only behind Dallas, New England and New York in total franchise value. 

I think the classic quote from Lions fans is that the owner is cheap? Their operating income (net of stadium revenues used for debt payments), was in the red (below zero) between 2010 and 2014. But still made a yearly revenue in that periode between 200 en 250 milion. 

Source: the internet. (or Forbes https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/#/page:3

1 minute ago, dyst said:

To add to all this, it just goes to show, how quickly other teams build. We are somehow stuck in mud.

We haven't drafted as well as them.  They hit on their picks and develop them.

2014 was really the only class we hit on a ton of picks (and as you see, we just lost all but one of them).  They hit on more.  I went over this earlier in this thread where I give specific examples with specific players that they draft for specific jobs, groom them for two years, and then let them play for two years, and then let them go away and get paid (or re-up if they become a huge piece).

We aren't ready for that yet.

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

@Lombardi's_kid_brother No need to worry about Daniel Snyder

All numbers in milion dollars

2017 2016 2015
Player Expenses 196 193 170
Operating Income 146 115 124,9
Revenu 482 447 439
Value 3100 2950 2850

We are only behind Dallas, New England and New York in total franchise value. 

I think the classic quote from Lions fans is that the owner is cheap? Their operating income (net of stadium revenues used for debt payments), was in the red (below zero) between 2010 and 2014. But still made a yearly revenue in that periode between 200 en 250 milion. 

Source: the internet. (or Forbes https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/#/page:3

We're getting waaaaaaay off topic here, but most of the "value" of the Redskins franchise goes to the property value of Fed Ex field and the fact that we own it.

Sad but true.

1 minute ago, dyst said:

Until we commit to getting stronger at the LOS on both offense and defense we won't do much more than we have.

I like what the Eagles are doing, they invest heavily at WR, RB, and DL while using average players in the secondary and at LB.

20 minutes ago, DC9 said:

My first reaction....

IS THIS OUR NEW PUNTER?!!! I don't reconize these players without helmets on.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The only reason why it ever was in the first place is due to Redskins One & the blank checks. 

Josh Norman did see promise in the team and Kirk on the heels of the 2015 season, but then again he also saw a big fat check that went along with it.

Redskins had to overpay just to get those two new players.  Smith really didn’t have a choice because he was traded.  If Smith really said he ‘wanted’ to go to Washington then he needs to get his head checked and put back on the concussion protocol.

Archived