Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 hour ago, carex said:

Trent's one PED suspension happened after the season where we told him he needed to gain 30 pounds because we were putting him at DE then two weeks into camp we told him to drop 30 pounds because he was moving back to OLB, so I think that might have had something to do with it

But a 4 game suspension only comes after a prior failed or missed test.

He's one more failed test away from a 1 yr suspension.

1 minute ago, Unbias said:

I have friends that are fans of the Cards, Eagles and Giants. None of them really liked him. A lot of business decisions when it comes to tackling. 

For us I could see him be an overpriced FA who's getting one last pay day before he's not in the league. I'd rather see a young guy out there who can possibly be a part of the future. 

I think we have done a pretty good job drafting defensive backs in later rounds recently. Breeland, Fuller, Kyshoen Jarret, Montae Nicholson, (Quinton Dunbar). The jury is still out on Fabian Moreau and Josh Holsey but our coaching staff seems to like them and all of them were drafted in the third or later. So I am confident that they can find a servicable corner in the later rounds again, especially now that we seem to have a pretty decent coach in Torrian Gray. I am not worried about the long-term state of our secondary. I worry more about the short-term performance, especially now that we lost 2/3 starters. Which is why i would prefer an experienced guy who can help out in the short-term.

I'd really hope we can get Brown back, but the other FAs drifting away i can live with. Don't think we are losing high end talent, more good/solid vets. The danger is we let half a dozen go and the volume is enough to weaken us too much across the piece.

The WR pick up is a great one I'd like Brown plus a top DL coming in. We seem to be chasing slot corner, but CB is good in the draft, to go with drafting a top RB prospect. ILB is good in the draft too.

LG though? We could go short term in FA with a vet, maybe Sitton.

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

As of right now:

Kirk - 3rd

Breeland - 5th

Grant - 5th

Long - TBD

Signed:

Paul Richardson - 5th

So a 3rd &  5th comp picks and another maybe depending on Long's deal, but I doubt he signed for more than $5m APY which would fit in the 6th/7th round range.

Of course, some of these will inevitably be canceled out by our own signings eventually.

The 2018 comp picks has Tom Comptons 1.85mil listed as a 7th, and that awarded Atlanta the Mr. Irrelevant pick.  Vikings have last 6th rounder for andre Smith,  3.05mill.  GB last in 5th, 5.583mill.  

Of course the APYs will go up this year, but I think he'll be at least a 6th, with a shot at 5th.  

3 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Yeah I don't get anyone talking **** about the Eagles. They destroyed us on there way to winning the Super Bowl last year. Like it or not we're garbage compared to them.

I dont think anyone is talking **** about them. I simply stated that they are currently over the salary cap and would have to let some of their depth go. We all know what happens when you lose your starters to injury and that depth is no longer on the team right?

6 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Why extend players who are average?  Continuing to trot average on the field instead of rolling the dice on an above average replacement is why we constantly see average results.  You've got to take flyers on the young guys to replace those who are average in hopes that is what gets you over the edge and into a consistent contender.  At that point is when you start to look at extending the ones that excelled as your previously signed guys start to get older and you start approaching their replacements.  Obviously it isn't that easy as only a handful of teams have this down pat.

Role players are a critical element to NFL rosters. When you extend C+/B- players for low cost, you make available the resources you need (draft picks and money) to add the stars. Having Long or Murphy or Breeland on a team-friendly deal that we re-negotiated after year 2 of their rookie contracts would 1) solidify either a starting role or depth and 2) keep costs down and free cap space to get your QB/stud WR/RB/whatever pressing need you may have. 

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont think anyone is talking **** about them. I simply stated that they are currently over the salary cap and would have to let some of their depth go. We all know what happens when you lose your starters to injury and that depth is no longer on the team right?

Lol okay

We'll we don't have either. No depth or solid starters for the most part. 

Just now, fordranger76 said:

They also signed Haynesworth at one point. So...

No we traded him there and ate most of the contract. So there's that 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

You mean that vaunted Pats defense that ranked 29th in the league last year?

Crazy how many wins did they have not to mention the Super Bowl apperance. 

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Edit: As a side note. You guys should go spend some time on a Ravens message board this morning. The Ryan Grant threads are some of the funniest stuff I have read in a long time. Hilarious.

My two favorite (on the first page):

"Who the **** is Ryan Grant??"

"Maybe Ozzie has CTE?"

"Look on the bright side: we now have plenty of depth at WR3"

:ols::ols:

10 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

First I'd say that you also left off missing Pryor at WR (so we're net down a WR).

Yeah, good point.  However Pryor was never a starter, Grant, Doctson and Crowder were, so that group remains the same.  Replacing Pryor with depth is important.  Draft a guy, or Davis/Harris. 

But onto your main point, the thing I've been preaching all offseason (and its weird to be preaching it) is that we've also go to account for natural player development. How good will Harris and Davis be next year? How good will Anderson be? How good will Sprinkle be? How good will Kalis and Kouandjio be? How much did we plan for Fuller being that good going into his second year? Matt I? How much did we expect Vigil to play as the third best LB? How much did we expect Lanier to develop into a consistent guy at getting pressure and batting balls?

I completely agree with this.  2 points: 

1. When the 'Skins were out of it for the final 3 games of the season, they should have gotten all of these guys many more reps so they could develop faster. And both us and the team would know more about what they need to work on, what their ceiling is, etc.  Granted, I think Anderson was hurt maybe?) Ari was so bad he was cut and re-signed off-the street.  So I don't have a lot of faith in him "getting it." Maybe, but you can't count on it.

2. You can account for natural player progression to some extent, but it's easiest to do that when you've at least seen flashes.  Clearly they know much more than we do, so if their players do get better great. However, with the injuries we had everywhere last year, if these guys didn't get onto the field and contribute, then what gives you or the coaching staff the belief that they will "get it" over the off-season?  At the very least, it's a risk to say "Ok, Bree is gone, our new starter is Moreau, who hasn't played.  Ok, maybe.  But what if he DOESN'T develop like Matt I. or Fuller?  Then you're kinda stuck.  

So, while I totally understand that you need to plan for player development, you also have to have a backup plan.  And given none of these guys really got into the rotation last year, it's tough to bank on them.  

If it doesn't work out, as an organization, you're sitting at 6-10 or worse.  

So I can understand the frustration of not knowing the plan or thinking that they don't have a plan since its not an obvious one, but the coaches know something about these guys. They know who's busting their butts in practice and who's likely to improve. They know how close this team was last year, but they also know how things fell apart. But at the same time a number of players stepped up and there has to be a question asked of how good these guys are, and is it worth it to develop these guys or go out and get a veteran, or to try to upgrade in the draft, or are there valuable UDFAs that can be picked up?

It's absolutely worth developing those guys, but it's risky to count on them when you're in year 5 of a regime, have a 2-3 year window, and need to win now.  You need plan B on the roster at all times.  If they beat out plan B and start, great.  If not, then at least you have plan B. 

Currently, we have no plan B.

And as far as Jay being an 8-8 coach, I'll say that I put Jay's offense up there with just about any one out there. Jay's defenses have been problematic. Is that because of his offense's dependency on pass? Are our linemen not good enough or our linebackers? If its the later, then your point is more valid and needs to be addressed (through FA or the draft) but if we can have guys make improvements like Ioannidis did last year, then we have the coaches here to develop the guys because they've done it. But they'll need to continue to do it.

I'm not going to turn this into a Jay thread.  I have the reputation as one of Jay's harshest critics.  I could go on and on about why he's an average (at best) coach.  I won't here.  The only point I'll make is that Norv Turner might be the best OC of the past 25 years, and he was a miserable HC for 3 different teams.  Just because you are a great offensive mind (or defensive mind) doesn't make you a good HC.  I'm not criticizing Jay's offense. I'm criticizing him as a HC.  

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

"Maybe Ozzie has CTE?"

I thought we over paid for Richardson until I saw that deal... 

3 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

"Maybe Ozzie has CTE?"

I’m sure Seattle’s board is real similar considering the amount we gave Richardson too

Yes Haynesworth was traded to them. My fault. They still had interest. Besides that the point being is the Ravens used to feast off of letting talent go and getting comp picks. Other teams have as well. Are we weaker without them? Possibly. By volume. But you can't sit there with a straight face and tell me we can't replace these guys. And for the point of players that cant wait to get out of here. Lets ignore Williams, Kerrigan, Reed, Thompson, Foster, Dunbar, Everett. Point being is some stay some go. It's how the league works. They pay for the stars and serviceable depth and let the average starter types go for the greenbacks. Nothing wrong with the approach they are taking.

Jonathan Allen is why our role players looked good for the first month or so of 2017.  Allen was getting double-teamed almost from the very first snap he took as an NFL player and it made life easier for guys like Trent Murphy.  You can find 50 Trent Murphys for every 1 Jonathan Allen.  Jonathan Allen is the guy you need on the field so that the more modestly talented/paid guys such as Trent Murphy are able to get the pretty looking stats.

Archived