Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But this was THIS front office's first crop of drafted players...and several of them panned out. These are exactly the type of guys you should be re-signing. 

Really? We should be paying Grant the amount of money that he got from the Ravens? Breelands deal wasnt huge, but we have some young talented CBs we drafted. If the coaches believe in them, and they are way cheaper than Breeland, why not go to them? This is all the kind of stuff that a organization should do. Just because you draft guys and they are good, not great, doesnt mean you then give them big deals. I dont want them paying to keep Long around. The only guy that I would like to try to keep is Murphy, but if he chooses the Patriots only so much you can do.

You sign the really good players you draft, like Trent, Kerrigan, etc. The just average or good players you replace with cheaper guys you have already drafted to step into those spots.

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Long, Breeland, Murphy, and Grant were four of our top five picks when Allen took over operations for Shanahan. Breeland became very good, Long is a starting-caliber interior lineman, Murphy has the red flags but was solid, and Grant was OK. The kicker...all of them occupy positions we are now looking to fill! 

If we have already moved on or soured relationships with guys 4 years after drafting them...it shows ZERO organizational identity and certainly no long-term plan. 

As I said above. We have a number of young CBs we drafted to fill in Breelands spot, we drafted a C last year who played well and the coaches were high on to take Longs spot, Grant was okay but not worth what he got from the Ravens. That all actually looks like a lot of organizational identity and a long term plan. We are replacing 90% of the guys who are leaving with our own drafted players who we have been developing and who the coaches know.

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

As of right now:

Kirk - 3rd

Breeland - 5th

Grant - 5th

Long - TBD

Signed:

Paul Richardson - 5th

So a 3rd &  5th comp picks and another maybe depending on Long's deal, but I doubt he signed for more than $5m APY which would fit in the 6th/7th round range.

Of course, some of these will inevitably be canceled out by our own signings eventually.

I don't understand how we got no comp picks in this year's draft after both Pierre and DJax signed large deals elsewhere, and we didn't really ink any big deals.  We lost other guys also, and replaced them with McGee, McLain, Brown, Swearinger, a few others. Nothing big.  

The whole comp pick thing is pretty much voodoo to me.  I don't get it.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I somewhat disagree.  I'm happy to see Grant test other waters.  However, Breeland and Long are legitimate starters, and now we have to go find replacements before we can address IMPROVING.  I don't mind so much on Murphy, because they have Kerrigan, Smith and Anderson all there already.  

Right now we have departed starters at DB, Nickle DB, ILB (pending re-signing Brown) and LG.  

Now, if the replacements are all already here and as good as those departing, great. However consider me somewhat skeptical.  

Fuller is the only un-replaceable. #1 rated slot CB last year, we'll inevitably see a bit of regression there.

Luavao was trash and we should be able to find his replacement at a local JuCo.

Roullier will be starting C. The jury's still out on him, but he filled in okay last year.

Brown's speed and run-stopping ability was top notch, but he was equally as bottom notch in his pass coverage ability. 

Breeland- 79 pff. Dunbar- 80 pff. And Moreau should take the next step (I know, we say that every off-season about 2nd year guys. But look at Fuller and Ionnidis...)

Grant- good riddance. Maybe someone in Baltimore can teach him how to run a 3rd down route passed the sticks.

Point is, the dropoff isn't nearly as significant as many seem to believe.

36 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I dont understand why we are letting everyone go. Seems counter productive to draft talent, groom talent and then let talent leave for jack ****. 

My guess would be that we'd rather not overpay average players when they can be replaced with younger talent already on the team or cheaper FAs that are similar.  You resign the core pieces (Kerrigan, Trent, Moses, Reed, etc.) and draft to replace the replaceable ones (Breeland, Murphy, etc.)

Just now, Mr.Will said:

Players get our offers but jump at the chance to play for better ran organizations..this is a business of coarse but players still want the championship to add to their bank accounts-and we are definitely not going to be going to a super bowl anytime soon so I’m seeing players stop here for a year or two just to fatten their pockets then go to a contender after they’ve gotten their cash!

Problem with it is, i see players get offers, and then don't even bother to respond.

Obviously Cousins..  but word is Murphy got an offer too, and i never heard another word about any negotiation process ever starting.

I don't even think they extended an offer to breeland, and i really don't know why not. He had a year of complainng, but we find out the DBs coach was a MAJOR problem,, he leaves, and I thought Bree stepped up last year and played really well.

This is what you hope, right? You draft a kid and when he's done acting like a kid, he steps up and shows why he was drafted. This is what Breeland did. I think he has consistently gotten better as his career has progressed,, he's shown a lot of heart, and he's got terrific one on one cover skills.

Of all of them, him i regret leaving the most, especially given that Fuller was traded.

I am alright enough with Dunbar as a depth player, but i don't think he is nearly as good as Breeland on the outside man-up on anyone. Moreau has all the praise,, but none of the plays. He hasn't played yet. I haven't seen anything to make me feel as if Breeland was not just expendable, but "we aren't even going to call you" expendable.

I am usually pretty optimistic and try to find the positives in what the FO is doing (or not doing),, but i am at a loss to explain some of these non-moves. I guess we should take from Cousins that his situation was poisoned long ago, and that move wasn't going to happen unless the team really bent over and took it..,, but I just don;'t see that with Breeland.  Makes me wonder just how and why the atmosphere in Redskins Park is SO toxic. Players can't wait to get out. The team seems to feel the same about opening the door and shoving them through, and i just don't get it. Used to be guys who were Redskins free agents were soon to be unemployed marginal players. Now they are first day signees, and happy to go.

~Bang

3 minutes ago, Unbias said:

I'm really cool with this. Never liked him.

I’m in the same boat..I’d had rather kept Breeland instead of bringing him aboard..giants fans said he was the most stable player on their backfield but to me,being the prettiest turd in the bowl doesn’t sit well with me..let em walk!!

2 minutes ago, Bang said:

Problem with it is, i see players get offers, and then don't even bother to respond.

Obviously Cousins..  but word is Murphy got an offer too, and i never heard another word about any negotiation process ever starting.

I don't even think they extended an offer to breeland, and i really don't know why not. He had a year of complainng, but we find out the DBs coach was a MAJOR problem,, he leaves, and I thought Bree stepped up last year and played really well.

This is what you hope, right? You draft a kid and when he's done acting like a kid, he steps up and shows why he was drafted. This is what Breeland did. I think he has consistently gotten better as his career has progressed,, he's shown a lot of heart, and he's got terrific one on one cover skills.

Of all of them, him i regret leaving the most, especially given that Fuller was traded.

I am alright enough with Dunbar as a depth player, but i don't think he is nearly as good as Breeland on the outside man-up on anyone. Moreau has all the praise,, but none of the plays. He hasn't played yet. I haven't seen anything to make me feel as if Breeland was not just expendable, but "we aren't even going to call you" expendable.

I am usually pretty optimistic and try to find the positives in what the FO is doing (or not doing),, but i am at a loss to explain some of these non-moves. I guess we should take from Cousins that his situation was poisoned long ago, and that move wasn't going to happen unless the team really bent over and took it..,, but I just don;'t see that with Breeland.  Makes me wonder just how and why the atmosphere in Redskins Park is SO toxic. Players can't wait to get out. The team seems to feel the same about opening the door and shoving them through, and i just don't get it. Used to be guys who were Redskins free agents were soon to be unemployed marginal players. Now they are first day signees, and happy to go.

~Bang

We dont hear about every offer given to every player. And it could be that the coaches have so much confidence in Moreau after seeing him for awhile that they didnt feel the need to pay that money to Breeland.

I wouldnt have minded keeping Breeland for the contract he got. But IF the coaches feel like Moreau can play there just as well if not better, then I would happily spend that money elsewhere and let Breeland go. Just have to wait and see I suppose.

3 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Really? We should be paying Grant the amount of money that he got from the Ravens? Breelands deal wasnt huge, but we have some young talented CBs we drafted. If the coaches believe in them, and they are way cheaper than Breeland, why not go to them? This is all the kind of stuff that a organization should do. Just because you draft guys and they are good, not great, doesnt mean you then give them big deals. I dont want them paying to keep Long around. The only guy that I would like to try to keep is Murphy, but if he chooses the Patriots only so much you can do.

You sign the really good players you draft, like Trent, Kerrigan, etc. The just average or good players you replace with cheaper guys you have already drafted to step into those spots.

As I said above. We have a number of young CBs we drafted to fill in Breelands spot, we drafted a C last year who played well and the coaches were high on to take Longs spot, Grant was okay but not worth what he got from the Ravens. That all actually looks like a lot of organizational identity and a long term plan. We are replacing 90% of the guys who are leaving with our own drafted players who we have been developing and who the coaches know.

No - of course not. But maybe they could have extended him before he hit FA? Or maybe he's one of the guys they decide to let walk. It's more that we drafted 3-4 pretty good players who contributed over the past 4 years, invested time in developing them, let all of them hit unrestricted FA, and now we're looking to replace those exact positions even at FA costs or with draft picks (which require more development time). 

I guess I can see specific cases for each guy, but on the whole it feels strange that you drafted well and are retaining 20% of those guys. At absolute worst, they should have locked up Spencer Long a year ago and had their front-five solidified. 

5 minutes ago, Unbias said:

I'm really cool with this. Never liked him.

Even though he is getting old, I think he is a very decent slot corner. Last year was not his best year but the whole Giants team was a mess. The year before he was one of the top slot corners in the league. Would not mind him if the price is right. My number 1 choice would still be Patrick Robinson but I haven't heard anything about him and he won't be cheap.

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

No - of course not. But maybe they could have extended him before he hit FA? Or maybe he's one of the guys they decide to let walk. It's more that we drafted 3-4 pretty good players who contributed over the past 4 years, invested time in developing them, let all of them hit unrestricted FA, and now we're looking to replace those exact positions even at FA costs or with draft picks (which require more development time). 

I guess I can see specific cases for each guy, but on the whole it feels strange that you drafted well and are retaining 20% of those guys. At absolute worst, they should have locked up Spencer Long a year ago and had their front-five solidified. 

Its possible that some of those guys wanted to hit FA and see what they could get as our offers at an extension werent what they hoped.

Im happy we didnt retain Long, I wasnt impressed with him, felt he was just okay. And we drafted a C to replace him last year. I am curious as to what we will do at LG.

Just now, MisterPinstripe said:

We dont hear about every offer given to every player. And it could be that the coaches have so much confidence in Moreau after seeing him for awhile that they didnt feel the need to pay that money to Breeland.

I wouldnt have minded keeping Breeland for the contract he got. But IF the coaches feel like Moreau can play there just as well if not better, then I would happily spend that money elsewhere and let Breeland go. Just have to wait and see I suppose.

This is all true,, they may have reached out.

I can see that approach in some ways, but it doesn't look to me like Bruce knows how or when to stop the carousel.

Being too cheap can be costly.

~Bang

5 minutes ago, Bang said:

~Bang

Yeah,the hurt players wait to get healthy then leave and the already healthy players will break their legs just to get out!!..tells us a lot of what goes on behind closed doors that we don’t get to hear or see!!..says a lot to me!!!

3 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Even though he is getting old, I think he is a very decent slot corner. Last year was not his best year but the whole Giants team was a mess. The year before he was one of the top slot corners in the league. Would not mind him if the price is right. My number 1 choice would still be Patrick Robinson but I haven't heard anything about him and he won't be cheap.

I have friends that are fans of the Cards, Eagles and Giants. None of them really liked him. A lot of business decisions when it comes to tackling. 

For us I could see him be an overpriced FA who's getting one last pay day before he's not in the league. I'd rather see a young guy out there who can possibly be a part of the future. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Why extend players who are average?  Continuing to trot average on the field instead of rolling the dice on an above average replacement is why we constantly see average results.  You've got to take flyers on the young guys to replace those who are average in hopes that is what gets you over the edge and into a consistent contender.  At that point is when you start to look at extending the ones that excelled as your previously signed guys start to get older and you start approaching their replacements.  Obviously it isn't that easy as only a handful of teams have this down pat.

I was hoping we’d get DRC but looking like it’s not gunna happen. Norman was not looking great after his injury last year and we cannot bank on Dunbar and Moreau. Hopefully they prove me wrong. I think Norman will bounce back and Moreau is unproven but Dunbar as our other starting corner is a bit suspect to me.

25 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Well looks like Trent Murphy is gone as well.  Profootballtalk.nbcsports.com is reporting both the Pats and Bucs are bidding on him.

Damn we're good at developing players for other teams. 

Murphy has talent but he's one bad decision away from a year's ban. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Will said:

They got Bennett and added Ngata too,although he’s older..just adding those two the line they already had is kinda scary for real!!

Yeah I don't get anyone talking **** about the Eagles. They destroyed us on there way to winning the Super Bowl last year. Like it or not we're garbage compared to them.

3 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Its possible that some of those guys wanted to hit FA and see what they could get as our offers at an extension werent what they hoped.

Im happy we didnt retain Long, I wasnt impressed with him, felt he was just okay. And we drafted a C to replace him last year. I am curious as to what we will do at LG.

It's certainly possible that all these guys wanted to hit FA. That speaks to another issue then...players being ready to jump ship once they are eligible to do so. There are definitely possibilities out there that explain these things...but it seems like it's always the Redskins dealing with those extenuating circumstances and never just doing it the easy way. 

The Lions, Raiders, and 49ers have all recently discovered that they have a franchise QB. They sign their guys to a market deal, shake hands at a press conference, and move on. We figure out a way to create a 3-year-long drama and put a pretty good QB in a position to sign a transcendent contract that might change the landscape of NFL free agency moving forward. We finally have a draft in 2014 where we get true value in several positions with our first five picks and yet somehow we only extend one guy early (Moses) and let the other four hit free agency and leave. They all happen to play positions we are now looking to either draft (another investment of both picks and development time) or acquire in free agency (where you pay a premium). 

I don't know - maybe it's just the toll of the past 25 years...haha

Archived