Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

4 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I actually think we are in good shape with Ioannidis, Allen, Lanier, McGee and maybe somebody like Pipkins/Francis pans out....

McClain was a no-go for me. Too much money for no productivity.

Suh would be the last piece for me.

there's also Montori Hughes.  He was never a high impact player, but the Skins won't ask that from their nose.  McClain might be a June 1 cut.  Some people seem to be expecting Hood to go, but he might stick shifting back to DE

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I wish we would switch back to the 4-3 as our base D.  Anyhow, so to all the cap junkies out there, after we sign ASmith and PRich and save 5 mil for the draft signings, what's our cap space look like for the rest of FA?

$29 million before Richardson and Hopkins. Assuming a combined $6-7 million cap hit this year between them, you're looking at $22-23 million. Need $4.5 million to sign draft picks and about $3 million for in-season expenses. So another $8 million in reserves (doesn't need to be freed up today, obviously) ... and you've got about $14-15 million to spend in cap hits this year.

Discussed a few pages back, but expected cap hits for Sheldon Richardson should be around $6-7m in year 1 ... DRC around $3m in year 1.

June 1st cut for McClain would free up like $3m. Cutting Hood is another $1m. Restructures could save some serious dough as well, if we wanted to tread into those waters.

8 minutes ago, Panninho said:

How so? They will basically save 5 or 6 million by cutting Curry and adding Bennett. Then they added Haloti Ngata. In the long run you are probably right but short-term I think they are doing a phenomenal job.

No. I am not blasting them. That is a well run organization up there. No doubt about it. But they have added older players over the past two free agency periods. They have another 2 or 3 year window. And they were smart and went all in while they had Wentz's rookie deal in place. But they better win another one in those 2 or 3 years. Because the piper is calling. 

6 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I wish we would switch back to the 4-3 as our base D.  Anyhow, so to all the cap junkies out there, after we sign ASmith and PRich and save 5 mil for the draft signings, what's our cap space look like for the rest of FA?

we don't have the LBs for it

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Seems like a lot of people are in here wanting to break the bank on someone elses discarded defensive lineman. Not a lot of respect for Matt Ioannidis in here. That guy was balling before he broke his hand last year. And played decently with a club on it. I dont think we are as bad off on the DL as some others I guess.

We already have a lot of interior DL guys on the roster. Allen, Hood, McClain, McGee, Ioannidis, Francis, Lanier.

I would love to swap out the Mc boys for 1 quality starter but that seems like a luxury move compared to needing to add a starting cover LB.

6 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Well lot's of people want to go after Sheldon Richardson. Not lobbying against it or anything but Richardson is no DT as well. In our base, that would probably mean Ioannidis would become a backup.

The D line rotates, its different from the standard starting position.  The Eagles some say got to the Superbowl by having fresh D line bodies, major rotation and depth.

Richardson is indeed a DT. I assume you mean he isn't a NT?   If they are playing nickel which is most of the time -- you got 2 DTs, he'd likely be one of them at times.  When they play 3-4, the DT position is called DE but in essence its the same thing as a DT.  Like Jonathan Allen you don't have to take him out in base or nickel. 

Just now, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

We already have a lot of interior DL guys on the roster. Allen, Hood, McClain, McGee, Ioannidis, Francis, Lanier.

I would love to swap out the Mc boys for 1 quality starter but that seems like a luxury move compared to needing to add a starting cover LB.

Our DL was a mess without Ionidis and Allen in there. But with them, it was quite good but did wear down late in games early in the season. Outside of Allen, Ioanidis and maybe McGee, the rest are JAGs. Any of them could be cut before the season starts. Adding a Sheldon Richardson would bolster the front line but also improve the depth by replacing a JAG with a  stud.

5 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I actually think we are in good shape with Ioannidis, Allen, Lanier, McGee and maybe somebody like Pipkins/Francis pans out....

McClain was a no-go for me. Too much money for no productivity.

Suh would be the last piece for me.

I agree with this. Now, I will say that if we have Allen, Ioannidis, Lanier, McGee and Francis as our 5 man rotation, we could easily slide a Richardson in there and bump either Francis or McGee (possibly Lanier) and improve the overall line. But one question becomes how strong is this line if one (multiple) guys go down? We saw what happened when we lost Allen and Ioannidis. The remaining three had their moments but it forced us to play Hood, McClain and others a lot more and they did not look remotely good. Plus guys like McGee Lanier and Francis are more one-dimensional players. Lanier is good against the pass but not the run. McGee and Francis are the opposite, and Francis isn't even dominant against the run.

I will say that we are still learning what we have in Allen Ioannidis and Lanier, especially Allen. I don't want to underestimate Ioannidis because I've liked him since we drafted him and I think he could become as good as some of the guys we're looking at right now.

5 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

we have a lot of defensive tackles on the roster, not nose tackles

1 minute ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Poe, Justin Ellis, or DaQuan Jones would massive upgrades at NT. To go from terrible to above average would be borderline defense-changing.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The D line rotates, its different from the standard starting position.  The Eagles some say got to the Superbowl by having fresh D line bodies, major rotation and depth.

Richardson is indeed a DT. I assume you mean he isn't a NT?   If they are playing nickel which is most of the time -- you got 2 DTs, he'd likely be one of them at times.  When they play 3-4, the DT position is called DE but in essence its the same thing as a DT.  Like Jonathan Allen you don't have to take him out in base or nickel. 

Yeah, sorry meant NT. And as I said, I am by no means lobbying against signing him. In fact, I am all for beefing up our D-line. But I have to agree that it feels a bit like people are forgetting how strong Ioannidis played before he broke his hand.

1 minute ago, carex said:

we have a lot of defensive tackles on the roster, not nose tackles

I question what we want in a "nose". I think Ioannidis is or could be our nose. One problem is that getting players to play nose is not easy because its not glorious. But he's also a strong guy capable of taking on two OLs and pushing the pocket back. We saw it last year. Behind him though we have Francis who is a decent guy but nothing special (at least not yet).

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I question what we want in a "nose". I think Ioannidis is or could be our nose. One problem is that getting players to play nose is not easy because its not glorious. But he's also a strong guy capable of taking on two OLs and pushing the pocket back. We saw it last year. Behind him though we have Francis who is a decent guy but nothing special (at least not yet).

if we wanted Ionnaddis at nose, he'd be at nose.  Fifth rounder from a tiny school, he's not one of the guys who can get away with saying where he will and won't play

3 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Ellis is off the board. Raiders resigned him.

1 minute ago, Panninho said:

I think Ellis re-signed with the Raiders.

Thanks gents. I'd add Logan and Richardson to the list of NTs, but I have reservations about both. Regardless, any of the guys that I named, at a reasonable price would be big upgrades over Hood.

NFL network has Pryor as one of the top 10 FA still available and the only WR on that list

5 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

wasn't he playing nose at the beginning next year next to Allen in the base package?

don't think so.  In fact I think most of the time we saw Allen and Ionnaddis together was in the nickel, so playing inside but officially as a DT

Archived