Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

15 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Close :P 14! Played for Green Bay from 07-11. And apparently was an RB for us in 2012. Probably was only for training camp or preseason? 

Early season depth. Roy Helu would have been our 2nd string RB, but he was on IR the entire season. Evan Royster was spotty with an injury as well, so Grant filled the gap.

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Early season depth. Roy Helu would have been our 2nd string RB, but he was on IR the entire season. Evan Royster was spotty with an injury as well, so Grant filled the gap.

Hmm, I have no memory of that. I do remember him putting up some monster numbers with Favre in his last couple Green Bay yrars.  He had the weirdest build of any RB I can remember, but he was legit. Pretty sure he had a 200 yd playoff game in there somewhere.

Ryan Grant shows you why you don't just resign with the Skins. They would never have made that offer to him a month ago. What you see here is the good part (for players) of free agency. Teams will outbid each other for a player. 

Looked back at some old scouting stuff of mine. I really like Richardson commung out of Colorado. So I'm excited to see him. Did have one red flag and that's durability. 

8 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Anybody have any ideas if Wilkerson is still in the building?. We seem to be hearing about Cromartie on a regular basis.

HTTR 

He's a Packer, and it seems that we can kiss the Honey Badger goodbye.

If we end up not signing Richardson, Poe or Logan this will be another failure on the part of Gene Wilder, oh sorry I meant Bruce Allen. I want Beau Allen here but only as a replacement for McClain who I would release as a post June cut, saving about $3m  on this year's cap.

HTTR 

With suh leaving Miami and they having the 11th they are probably taking a def tackle so do we overpay for a vet or take our chance on the draft?? I wouldn’t mind Logan or Poe but was hoping Vea with the combination of John Allen would give us a young strong dline for years to come

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2018/03/13/arizona-cardinals-safety-tyrann-mathieu-contract/421254002/

The Cardinals are "making strides" toward a restructured deal that would keep safety Tyrann Mathieu in Arizona, according to a source. 

The Cardinals had previously asked Mathieu to take a pay cut for the upcoming season. 

Mathieu is due to have $18 million of is contract guaranteed if he is on the roster Wednesday afternoon.

For those of us hoping to pick up the Honey Badger....these numbers may give you reason to pause a little. I'd love to have him here, but Wow. Big numbers

D. Poe verus B. Logan.

On the surface Poe seems obviously better and more durable at least in terms of starts.  Poe as a starter has been remarkably durable more so than Logan ironically.  Poe has started every game almost every year of his career.  Not the case with Logan including last year.

Poe had more sacks, three times the number of QB hurries as Logan.  He is one year younger than Logan.  Poe's PFF score is 81.5.  Logan's isn't a hot 68.6.  Poe's been to multiple pro bowls. 

I don't mind signing Logan but Poe seems the obvious better player.  As for his injury history is there something more than the herniated disk he repaired in 2015?   He seemed to be fine after that.  Granted a big guy like that is always susceptible to injuries.   But I'd take my chances on Poe over Logan if that's the choice.

My first choice though is Richardson.  Mainly because at least according to some beat guys their obsession is having a DT who can stop the run playing nickel and bring pass rush.  Richardson IMO fits that profile.

Poe though is a pure nose.  If they for example let Zach Brown go and don't replace him.  Then guys in the draft like R. Smith became hotter on their plate I'd presume. In short, they wouldn't have to lock in to a nose or another DT in the draft if they grab one in FA.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My first choice though is Richardson.  Mainly because at least according to some beat guys their obsession is having a DT who can stop the run playing nickel and bring pass rush.  Richardson IMO fits that profile.

Good info, thanks for the write-up. You got your wish on the first Richardson, so maybe your inner FO is our Mojo

We are currently sat with a couple of comp picks for 2019 and we may well see at least Murphy, Long, Galette, Brown walking. No doubt wed bring some in but I think we'll end up with 2 or 3 comp picks bagged.

I think Jensen would be a great pick up, problem is I read he could be paid like the top centre in the league.

Fantasy DL going into 2018: Allen, Poe, Richardson along the DL. 

Or Allen, high level FA acquisition, 1st/2nd rd draft pick.  

Then working Ioannidis and the best of the rest into the rotation. 

I could live with that.  But I wanna see 2 new starting caliber people up there.  Ioaniddis was decent up there last year, but I don't totally trust it yet.  And a guy of his caliber spelling people isn't bad.

Sounds like an interesting strategy. 

- Draft players, develop them.

- Keep the exceptional talents, let the okay to good players leave (they will get paid at open market). 

- Sign one or two young FA every year. 

- Get compensation picks because teams signed your players. 

- have more draftpicks, so better odds to get good player. 

I don't know if it's every gonna win a championship but sounds like a nice way. But to be honest. NFL is such a up and down league, today's worst can be tomorrow's first. A great team is an injury away from beeing a bad team. I don't think NFL is a league to play "the long game". Is all about making the most of your current window. 

Example.

Eagles and Rams have a young QB on a rookie deal. Does are cheap, so the team is spending big time in FA. Get best pieces around him. Doesn't matter that 3 years from now they need to cut half of the team because they then need cap room for a new QB deal. Win now mode.

Vikings have a championship D with young core that they might be able to keep together for maybe two or three years. They need a QB now that can win games. I don't have time to develop a young one. They now have a great D so they are in win now mode. So they send a bunch of money to Kirk his bank account. 

9 hours ago, FuriousD said:

Ryan Grant!...  Whodathunkit?

Could it be a large populace on this board is in collective IQ free-fall?  Cousins not worth 25 mil a year?  Breeland washed up and done? Grant a scrub and waste of roster spot?  The hits just keep on coming...  

Happy for Ryan Grant.  Good for him...

Orrrrr could it be just you... Go look at the ravens message boards and media crticism. Look at the C+ rating of the cousins contract. And bree, I explained to death a couple pages ago; not one person claimed that he's washed up and done.

9 hours ago, Peregrine said:

From OverTheCap, after Smith , because his first year is $17 million, we have $29 million.  If their numbers are correct. I assumed 8 mill per for Richardson, 6.5 Million per for Murphy, and $10 million for Wilkerson(now off the board) and just escalated it like a normal contract would be.  So typically any contract would be 25%ish less for the first year than the per year average.

Yep but you're missing the $5M or $6M that needs to be allocated to rookies.

8 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

Based on the size of Grants contract and depending on what happens with the rest of FA, the Redskins might get a late-round compensatory pick for him in 2019.

It will be a 5th. Going into this offseason looking at potential comp picks, I never considered the possibility of Grant generating one. The guy finally produced.

@wilco_holland That is kind of the strategy that teams like the Packers and Ravens have used forever  - If we get to add more beef to the DL (like a Poe) and maybe look to upgrade ILB (Brown may be back - but I would like Bradham either OR) and then, try and retain Gallette (slow market for him OR murphy - hell it will give Gallette more playing time if Murphy isn't back) and be done more or less with free agency. Use any cap money to extend Smith/Crowder maybe Lanier/Loannidias

11 hours ago, CTskin said:

Mo Wilk got a 1yr $5M deal... Although we suck with prove-it deals, I woulda rolled the dice.

I've been very nice to you today, front office, now don't ruin it all by signing scrub Beau Allen tomorrow for the same kind of money.

He wanted to play with his ex defensive coordinator in Green Bay. And if the money offered was similar who could blame him for choosing them over us?

Archived