Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 49ers Post Game Assessments

Burgold

Observations:

1- Player of the game was very likely Mr. Dunbar. Excellent, excellent game.

2- Ryan Grant is still not explosive, but he comes through every time we need him. I think I say something about him every week and it's well earned every single week. Very underappreciated.

3- Doctson flashes again, but then went missing again.

4- Chris Thompson saw entirely too much action as the primary back for my liking yesterday. He's in on short yardage situation as the only back. I don't mind him there with split backs or as a wing or slot. But as the primary back, and then having him carry the ball? Doesn't make sense on many angles. It's putting mileage on his legs and frame and increasing fatigue which decreases his ability to hit the home run late in the game when the D is tiring. Later, in a short yardage situation, Perine was in there and he got stopped before the marker and he managed to keep his feet moving and picked up the first down. That's what we should be doing in those situations. Letting our power back be the power back. 

5- The defense is a walking mash unit and they came out after 17-0 completely comatose. It was scary to watch. They had no bounce or excitement. It was like they thought the game was over. There are certain exceptions for certain players, but all in all I was disappointed in the defense yesterday as a whole.

6- The Vernon Davis fumble was the second worst call in all of the games yesterday. The Austin Sefarian-Jenkins fumble call was not only worse, but it lapped it. Twice. Yikes.

7- Speaking of Vernon... He continues to be the best receiving tight end on the roster so far this season. Waiting for Reed to show up.

8- I have a problem with the timeout prior to the delay of game call on SF. Maybe we missed it and the timeout was called with 6-8 seconds left on the play clock and that's why it looked so strange... But if we called that late in the play clock I am mortified.

9- The drive following the onsides kick had me livid. I understand the 'Skins wanted SF to use their timeouts, so they ran the ball. But there are high percentage ways to do that that are much more conducive to picking up a first down and ending the game right there. When there is that much time left on the clock, you need to gain a first down. How about a rollout pass with Cousins, where if there is nothing there he can tuck and go? If he throws to an open receiver and its dropped, it doesn't make the playcall poor, it makes the receiver poor. 

10- Even though I stated above that we need to use Perine in short yardage, he clearly missed a few holes/called plays during the game. That is also quite scary. But let’s keep it in perspective... he’s a rookie that was on cruise control in the NCAA due to his size/strength/leverage. Patience is a virtue with him.

11- I liked Swearinger getting that penalty in that little scuffle with Garcon. I'm usually not one for that kind of crap, but Garcon seemed to be running his mouth about hurting one of our guys, and DJ let him know he wasn't okay with that. That's the swagger this defense has been missing. An edge that can't be taught. I know it allowed them to score more points, but in that situation, with the D starting to falter, it's okay to show a little fire and grit and show that you've got your guys backs. I wish he didn't cost us that many yards and he only chirped, but you get that with a fiery guy like Swearinger. And I'd rather have him around than not have him around.

12- You know who our offense misses? Pierre Garcon.

Hope Norman with an extra day of rest can play on Monday Night.  If Norman is out then we need to do some serious shifting of our secondary.  Our secondary is holding up with bandages right now.  Dunbar can hold down one cornerback spot for now.  But if Breeland is out for the Eagles game who do you put in his spot now and do you keep Fuller in his same position?

The way he was limping you have to assume Breeland will be out against the Eagles. Norman, Dunbar, Fuller, and Moreau (Holsely) is still a pretty interesting and talented secondary if a bit raw. Dunbar, Fuller, Moreau, and Holsely is talented but really, really raw.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Oh I get the story line, and yes without that PI we probably lose  i'm just pointing out that Beathard did not play nearly as well as the announcers would have you believe.

But grading on a sliding scale of, a rookie QB coming in cold with a 3 score deficit on the road, he played great.  The deck was stacked against him.

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

But grading on a sliding scale of, a rookie QB coming in cold with a 3 score deficit on the road, he played great.  The deck was stacked against him.

Oh no doubt he gave them a spark. But the way the announcers were going off it's as if they found their QB, at least for the remainder of the season.  I'm just saying SF fans should not get their hopes up.

I'm glad @Kdawy mentioned the time out as the SF play clock was about to expire. I lost it too but when I saw it again the coaches saw something was wrong and they were signalling for the timeout with about 5 seconds left, they didn't give it to them until there was 1. 

27 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Observations:

11- I liked Swearinger getting that penalty in that little scuffle with Garcon. I'm usually not one for that kind of crap, but Garcon seemed to be running his mouth about hurting one of our guys, and DJ let him know he wasn't okay with that. That's the swagger this defense has been missing. An edge that can't be taught. I know it allowed them to score more points, but in that situation, with the D starting to falter, it's okay to show a little fire and grit and show that you've got your guys backs. I wish he didn't cost us that many yards and he only chirped, but you get that with a fiery guy like Swearinger. And I'd rather have him around than not have him around.

I don't mind the fire, just keep your hands to yourself.  He not only caused us points, but he caused a shift in momentum.  With SF getting 7 instead of 3 and getting the 2nd half kickoff, he shifted the tide.  Jaw all you want.  Don't hit. At 17-3 instead of 17-7, things might have been different to start the 2nd half. This is the only thing I disagree with in your assessment.

Don't understand this 'waiting for Reed to show up'.  He is performing at expectation level.  I'll agree that he hasn't had that monster game yet but he does have more receptions per game than any other receiver on our roster by almost a full reception.  There is, so far, about 1 fewer reception to go around per game.  Remember, Reed was pretty much our running game the first half of last season.

35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

8- I have a problem with the timeout prior to the delay of game call on SF. Maybe we missed it and the timeout was called with 6-8 seconds left on the play clock and that's why it looked so strange... But if we called that late in the play clock I am mortified.

9- The drive following the onsides kick had me livid. I understand the 'Skins wanted SF to use their timeouts, so they ran the ball. But there are high percentage ways to do that that are much more conducive to picking up a first down and ending the game right there. When there is that much time left on the clock, you need to gain a first down. How about a rollout pass with Cousins, where if there is nothing there he can tuck and go? If he throws to an open receiver and its dropped, it doesn't make the playcall poor, it makes the receiver poor. 

8 - Yes, that was completly weird to watch. Don't really know what happened here.

9 - I think that Jay wasn't much scared of Beathard doing it twice and our DB blowing an assignment twice as well. I would even have taken a delay of game penalty to give more room for Tress Way to pin them deep. I was more annoyed by the TB than the plays before honestly.

11 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I don't mind the fire, just keep your hands to yourself.  He not only caused us points, but he caused a shift in momentum.  With SF getting 7 instead of 3 and getting the 2nd half kickoff, he shifted the tide.  Jaw all you want.  Don't hit. At 17-3 instead of 17-7, things might have been different to start the 2nd half. This is the only thing I disagree with in your assessment.

Whered you disagree?

5 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Don't understand this 'waiting for Reed to show up'.  He is performing at expectation level.  I'll agree that he hasn't had that monster game yet but he does have more receptions per game than any other receiver on our roster by almost a full reception.  There is, so far, about 1 fewer reception to go around per game.  Remember, Reed was pretty much our running game the first half of last season.

My expectations for a guy I consider the second or third best receiving TE in all of football are far more than what he’s produced.

But that’s where we part ways on the matter I guess.

I'm unsure why people are knocking Reed, he looked good yesterday... when the ball was thrown to him. The playcalling and pass distribution just didn't go his way. In the 1st quarter, Reed, Pryor, and Docston got a bunch of targets and then we went away from it for the rest of the game. 

EDIT- I say he looked good, but blocking isn't part of the equation with him. He was terrible yesterday, but that's nothing new.

16 hours ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

Or maybe Redskins fans that thought we were better than we really are and just want us to take our level of play upwards and beat teams we supposed to beat instead of gloating over a lucky win handed on a platter.  We got the W, but we also have eyes to see the crap we displayed on the field.  That doesn't sound like trolls, that sound like knowledgeable and honest Redskins fans.

We did beat the team we were supposed to beat.  A team that was gifted 7 points by the refs on the horrible fumble call on Davis.

53 minutes ago, justice98 said:

CJ had 7 drives.  1 punt and 1 missed FG, otherwise our defense couldn't get off the field. CJ deserves a lot of credit for that.  Our pass rush defense is nothing to scoff at, we are now formidable.

Edit, add the end of game desperation INT after the Garcon PI really stacked the deck against his first big win.

Gruden's play calling and time management with the lead has to change.  Don't go up the gut with the same play over.  Too predictable and easy to defend.  At least mix in a pass or pitch it the RB like SF did on a 3rd and 1 earlier in the game with and they picked up at least 10+ yards. 

I watched very little of the game because of a mandatory voluntary work fundraiser. 

That said, hadn't we lost to something like 48 straight former coaches and coordinators in a row?  So at least we broke that curse.

Huge showdown with Philly next week. Hopefully some of our banged-up players can get on the field for that one.  

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

CJ had 7 drives.  1 punt and 1 missed FG, otherwise our defense couldn't get off the field. CJ deserves a lot of credit for that.  Our pass rush defense is nothing to scoff at, we are now formidable.

We were, but I think that with some of the injuries, we're less formidable than we were against the Raiders.

Norman is a force multiplier.  He takes so much pressure off of everybody else that everybody's game improves.  Also, you can lock him up and forget about his side a lot.  Without him there, safeties are responsible for more of the field.  It's a big change.  

Not knocking Bree or anybody else.  But when you lose a blue-chip guy, you're going to feel it.  And it has ripple effects.  

11 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I'm unsure why people are knocking Reed, he looked good yesterday... when the ball was thrown to him. The playcalling and pass distribution just didn't go his way. In the 1st quarter, Reed, Pryor, and Docston got a bunch of targets and then we went away from it for the rest of the game. 

EDIT- I say he looked good, but blocking isn't part of the equation with him. He was terrible yesterday, but that's nothing new.

FYI I’m not knocking Reed. As I said, I think he’s the second or third best receiving TE in football. He hasn’t produced like it. Whether that’s on him or the coaching staff is a situation that I can’t judge because I’m not in the room.

is it by design or intentional is the other question? Vernon Davis seems to be getting big targets regularly. Are we relying more on Vernon on splash plays? And if so, what does that mean? Worried about injuries? Could be anything.

but he’s not producing the way Jordan Reed can. For whatever reason.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

FYI I’m not knocking Reed. As I said, I think he’s the second or third best receiving TE in football. He hasn’t produced like it. Whether that’s on him or the coaching staff is a situation that I can’t judge because I’m not in the room.

Reed said yesterday to a reporter that he is still not 100%. I know Kirk is missing him in the end/red zone. Looks like the coaches are preventing too much contact for him until he is 100%. 

15 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

And the announcer's praise came prior to the late INT.  He never looked rattled, scrambled with eyes downfield, and the team stepped up around him, etc.  Had a nice game and almost pulled off a big comeback win with no starting reps.  There was a bit of jest/hyperbole ("They may not need to go after Cousins in the offseason after all"), but he deserved the praise.  

I've enjoyed watching Nicholson play, but man, he's averaging leaving once per game with an injury.  Here's hoping more time in the strength/conditioning program helps with this.  Gotta give him credit for getting back in there though.  

Dunbar has looked quite good in the action he's seen this year.  He's going to continue to get better, but he's breaking up passes and his coverage has been impressive.  Seeing him cover double moves, staying on the hip on deep routes, breaking quickly on balls - he's got a nice blend of speed, length and athleticism.

We're going to be hurting if Norman and Breeland are out for the Eagles game, but I wouldn't be surprised if they underrate our depth players.  

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

2- Ryan Grant is still not explosive, but he comes through every time we need him. I think I say something about him every week and it's well earned every single week. Very underappreciated.

Grant is where he needs to be when he needs to be there, and is a safety blanket.  The problem with him is that defenses don't have to scheme around his athletic ability (for example, putting a safety on his side, etc.) so his mere presence allows the defense to contract.  

There's nothing he's going to be able to do really to get bigger/stronger/faster, so he is what he is.  A good, try-hard, smart football player who can make a few plays here and there, but shouldn't have to be a starting WR in the NFL.  If he is, that says more about the talent around him than it does him.  

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

3- Doctson flashes again, but then went missing again.

I mean, he's kindof playing his 5th game or something and missed most of camp.  The fact that he's flashing and not in the ICU I think is a positive step

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

4- Chris Thompson saw entirely too much action as the primary back for my liking yesterday. ...

I'm going to use this as a jumping off point to go complete nuts that we don't have better backs on this team than Kelley and Perine. If your answer to Kelley, who's not going to be confused with Walter Payton any time soon, is to play your 3rd down back more, that's telling.  Perine just hasn't developed the way he looked like he was going to.

THEY NEED TO GO OUT AND SIGN A VETERAN BACK.  This is freaking ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

5- The defense is a walking mash unit and they came out after 17-0 completely comatose. It was scary to watch. They had no bounce or excitement. It was like they thought the game was over. There are certain exceptions for certain players, but all in all I was disappointed in the defense yesterday as a whole.

I'll give them this, it's tough to keep up the intensity against an 0-5 team when you're up 17-0, and with the number of injuries they have.  

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

7- Speaking of Vernon... He continues to be the best receiving tight end on the roster so far this season. Waiting for Reed to show up.

I still think Reed is hurt. He just doesn't quite look himself.  

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I've been saying for years that the absolute master of the 2-minute clock-killer drive was Peyton Manning, especially in the mid-00's with the Colts.  He would line them up in hurry up, snap the ball at 1 second, and would mix run and pass beautifully.  A lot of stretch runs where he could go play-action if he wanted to, etc.  They were un-predictable, and so they were really succesful.

The other example of an outstanding offense to kill the clock would have to be the 'Skins of the 80's and early 90's.  They could just line it up and run it on anybody.  So they did, and that was that.  

The 2017 'Skins cannot do what the 80's 'Skins did. 

But they COULD match up and do MORE of what the Colts did.  Cousins is definitely good enough to pull it off, and they have a good quick game, and everybody thinks Jay's going to be conservative, so you'll probably have some PA stuff wide open.  

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

This team has been as soft as a newborn kitten for so long, a little edge isn't the worst thing in the world.  

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

12- You know who our offense misses? Pierre Garcon.

And we knew that the minute he signed with SF.  But I don't think you keep him at that contract value.  They WAY over-paid for him.  

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Observations:

Great stuff. I can't remember the last time that I read a post with that much info that I agreed with completely. Well, almost completely.

In regard to the timeout- Gruden called it before it was at 0, which is why Ziggy Hood was standing up in confusion looking at the sideline. I suggest editing your post because Gruden already catches enough flack for poorly played timeouts.

In regard to point #9 you said "If he throws to an open receiver and its dropped, it doesn't make the playcall poor, it makes the receiver poor." The real issue is that this would have been be a poor result, the issue isn't where the blame would be placed. By running it three times we ensured the clock would remain running and there was also still a chance to pick up the first down. I can only imagine the heat Gruden would have gotten in here for poor clock management if we passed it and stopped the clock.  

The 2nd most infuriating play of the game (Vernon's non-fumble was easily the #1) was the blown coverage on Aldrick Robinson. That TD was not only too easy, but was given up way too fast. We had injuries and all, but our 2 minute drill defense has been the only real buggaboo for that squad.

The Redskins pass rushers were out of gas near the end, that certainly helped Beathard as he tried to move the team for a win. They did not put on nearly the same pressure, maybe because of Allen's absence?   Of course the same can be said for the SF defense as Kirk took them down the field in his final 2 possessions as well. 

Archived