Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 49ers Post Game Assessments

Burgold

4 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I know. :ols: Folks wonder why I don't hang around the board when the game starts. That's the reason.

Game day threads are the sewer lines of this board. I usually don't wade into them (until the game is over maybe).

This is such a common response every year, and I understand it to some degree... BUT- the game day thread is, by it's very nature,  a stream of consciousness thread that contains in-the-moment responses, which are unsurprisingly, emotionally charged. It's the equivalent of having your buddies in the living room watching the game. There isnt time for reflection. half the the thread is immediate reaction's to moment's in the game. "****, we're doomed." "That fumble hurts." "That failed pat will come back to haunt us...." etc..

7 hours ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

Again...  even with all those things against a good team, a good team blows the 49ers out.  We arent a good team yet, but we escaped with a W.  We have to tighten up if we wanna place ourselves amongst the better half of the league.

They lost to CAR by 20 points. But, after that they have been within 2 or 3 points. They only allowed 12 points to Seahawks but lost by 3. So far no team, except for Panthers, has blown them out. So they are not a bad team. We are not a bad team. But, yes, we need to clean up some sloppy plays from today though.

35 minutes ago, shakinaiken said:

This is such a common response every year, and I understand it to some degree... BUT- the game day thread is, by it's very nature,  a stream of consciousness thread that contains in-the-moment responses, which are unsurprisingly, emotionally charged. It's the equivalent of having your buddies in the living room watching the game. There isnt time for reflection. half the the thread is immediate reaction's to moment's in the game. "****, we're doomed." "That fumble hurts." "That failed pat will come back to haunt us...." etc..

Let's not forget most of us are drinking :pint:at the same time too. :ols:

Didn't really follow the game that closely today for some reason, kept it more on the Red Zone channel. First time I've done that in a long time, probably cuz I had company over I guess. Anyway, from what I saw Kirk was making all the throws as usual. I love how he seems to always make the right throw, as in he rarely forces anything (I did see the INT live). He spreads it around, indicative of the box score. To me that kind of shows that he is finding the open guys and not just zoning in on one or two guys. And Thompson is one of the most dangerous receiving backs I've ever seen out of the backfield for the Skins. Would like to see more in the running game. Didn't see many defensive plays so can't comment on the defense today. Saw the secondary make a few big plays. Like what I've seen from our corners this year, Breeland with the bounce back year from what I've seen.

Good first half, bad second half. 

First half playcalling was nice. Kirk was quick with his throws. Oline was crushing DB's. D had Hoyer locked up. 

Then C.J. the red beard QB came in and I said to my girlfriend. O no this is gonna be a long night. From the start on this guy had our D on the ropes. Rookie QBs always do well against us. Kyle went with aggressive playcalling and C.J. just riped it. Pass rush never was an issue. With this more aggressive playcalling you also saw that our young DBs where out of position. The struggled to do their job. One on one they did good job but where out of position on some easy throws. 

The other side, Gruden got to pass happy. Kirk took some deep shots and it didn't work. In general the second half Kirk looked "off". His accuracy was not great. He missed a lot of throws. Also the shorter once. This just confirms Kirk is like a streaky 3 point shooter in basketball. If he is hot, he is amazing. Hits everything. When he is cold, he keeps missing. Gruden kinda put him in that cold streak by going away from the first half game plan i.m.o. 

All things considered, I'm glad the Redskins are good enough to overcome in game horse**** that normal beats them. You take away 2 silly plays and they cover the double digit spread. I think most of us were expecting a 58 yard field goal beating us at the gun. Those two plays being the personal foul at the end of the half adding 4 points and the ridiculous Vernon Davis fumble ruling putting the niners at the 1.5 yard line when he was down. It is really disappointing to finally see an aggressive defense being ruined by injuries. 

I know Cousins had pretty good numbers, but his performance wasn't great. It was pretty good. That's the thing though, now that we have a defense and a middle of the pack rushing attack he doesn't have to play lights out for us to win. He also doesn't have his top 3 weapons Garçon, Jackson and Reed this year and is still playing well. Reed just doesn't look right and maybe we should sit him down for a couple weeks so whatever is ailing him heals. But just think of the drop off from 2015-2016 Garçon, Jackson and Reed to this years Pryor, Doctson and Reed. A lot of us were expecting/hoping Pryor and Doctson to come close to replacing 2000 yards and 10-15 touchdowns and they aren't going to come close. The fact Cousins is still playing well, taking what is there and is leading a top 10 offense is sort of unreal. The price will be higher than really anyone wants to pay for him, but I don't want to be starting a Hoyer next year or rolling the dice on a high draft pick QB. 

Really hope we start getting some luck on the defense with injuries because this team can actually go places if we stop losing 2-3 players a week on th defense. Above average QB play, average rushing attack, great defense when healthy is a recipe for winning football and it's fun to watch. Freaking Hopkins though, I remember how awesome he was when we first got him because he seemed to nail everything but now he has slid right into our normal kicking woes. He is going to cost us games if this keeps up which simply cannot happen in a 16 game season. 

I'll take the nail biting win over the winless team and move on to next week. This game worried me simply because I hate playing teams that are 0fer and I'm sure that Shanahan had this game circled on the schedule as one he desperately wanted to win. Everytime they showed him on the sideline, he had a nervous, sick look on his face as if he was living and dying on every play....he wanted that game bad!

Heck, we're 3-2 and essentially playing for a tie for first place in our division on Monday night. Let's hope the injuries are not too bad and we can line up something at least close to our starting 11 on both sides of the ball on Monday. We got a tough stretch ahead and yesterday's win- ugly or not- was a big win that we had to have so I'm happy.

When I saw the line I said only a fool lays that many points.  Not sure why this is but this team NEVER buries inferior teams.  When it was 17-0 I called it, it will soon be 17-10.  Incredibly frustrating but they got the win and that's all that matters.  

Run blocking continues to be their problem, yeah I'm looking at LG and the center. They will never win until they make upgrades there.

6 hours ago, shakinaiken said:

There isnt time for reflection. half the the thread is immediate reaction's to moment's in the game. "****, we're doomed." "That fumble hurts." "That failed pat will come back to haunt us...." etc..

If only the game day thread were as tame as your words above. :) 

It is a sewer line. People say the nastiest things on those threads. To each other and the team. Sometimes bringing the players and coach's families into it. Calling for firings and benchings at the drop of a hat. The opposing team gets a measly first down in their own territory and you have folks calling for the head coach to be fired. :rolleyes: :ols:

The saddest part about it is it doesn't matter how the game is going. The Redskins could be losing by two TDs or winning by three TDs. Doesn't matter. The thread will be the same way..

A cesspool. I just steer clear of it during the game.

We received another screw job in a long line of many with the Davis fumble that was NOT a fumble, fortunately it did not bite us in the ass!!!

Now....how can someone in NY who has every state of the art technology at his finger tips, screw up that call??? As a Redskin fan my whole life, we have been privy to a constant barrage of being on the short end of the stick with call after call since Snyder bought the team!!! Sick & tired of watching "Jimmy Marbles" in NY screwing us over....just really fed up with the NFL in general!!! Might as well start watching pro wrestling, it's more believable!! 

My guess on why the challenge review has been redirected to NY?? For the safety and credibility of the Ref on the field! Now there is no real person per say to hold accountable, we don't need another half assed apology from one of Goodells minions!!! 

The officiating was bad yesterday, that call on Garçon was weak. If they were actually throwing to the flat that's one thing but seemed rather obvious Garçon was just running a slant and the ball was actually going to him. The personal foul on Scherff was pathetic, that was a great football play just finishing a block. The only good thing the officials did was allow plays to go on so they were automatically reviewed instead of both teams having to burn challenges. The commentating was worse than usual too which is a hard thing to say. That one guy had absolutely no clue what he was talking about and was outright just wrong many times. After listening to Romo a few games, hearing the guy that did our game yesterday was way beyond painful.

I have to say - I think Pierre Garcon has plummeted in my personal opinion of him. I know its a game and emotions are high but after the play and a guy is on the turf and it is because of you - to be celebrating the way he was was classless. DJ did cost the team points and in a way you can say he needs to have a cooler head than that but seeing the collision all I could think of was Keyshon Jarrett . I never understand how the NFL continues to allow WR to lead with their helmets and never flags or fines them - as someone else said it is kind of begging for injuries to happen. 

I hate these kinds of games - 0-5 teams are not generally bad teams - This particular 0-6 team (the 49ers) has not been a bad team it has now lost a record 5 consecutive games by 3 points or less including 2 that went into overtime. They have nothing to loose and as we saw with them benching Hoyer for Bethard - that is a desperation move that almost payed off ....  I kind of prefer playing the likes of the chiefs where everyone knows the wheels will come off at some point. 

Anyway a win is a win - and things to learn from - hopefully we can get some players healthy for next week... 

Not sure why Kirk is getting so much hate.  Sure he missed a few open receivers but the pick was on third and really long and worked out better than a punt.  His inability to keep his foot on the accelerator is annoying.

But  I saw a QB who once again delivered with the game on the line.  After the Niners tied it on a fluke fumble return that wasn't a fumble, I guess replay could not very what we all know to be true, Kirk took the team 72 yards for a field goal (thanks to no run blocking and stupid play calling it was only 3 pts),  then 85 yards and into the end zone on consecutive 4th quarter possessions.

9 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Perine is the worst starting RB in the NFL right now. Source: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

That may be a testament to how good Thompson has been. The rating is based on yards above replacement, and his company is Ajayi Crowell and McCoy - not Bad Company. These new advanced stats (we are FINALLY getting) are not above scrutiny as yet. 

Regardless, he has only started 1 game, and looks like one of those rhythm backs that needs carries before he gets one of those stat padding run ALL backs need to vault up the stats lists. Instead, it was Thompson with a monster run so the rest will look like chumps for now. 

FWIW we have won every game he has gotten significant work. He is holding up in other aspects of the game which is important to Jay otherwise we'd see Mack Brown.

Did he look that much worse than Hyde - Hyde is a widely respected ~ top 10 back. Both had sold 2.0 GPA, showed nice hands and scored.  If Sammy was a polished ready back he would have been selected before the 4th round - my expectations reflect this.

I think the announcers were going a bit overboard about the play of CJ Bethard.  19/36 246 1/1 QBR 57.6 Rating 72.1.  His numbers were padded by  a broken coverage as he hit a wide open receiver for a long TD.  He did little after being set up near mid field after a big kick return and of course the TD to tie was all the fumble (non fumble) and return.

10 hours ago, CTskin said:

Yea perine is quickly proving to not be anything special. RB isn't like many other positions, you pretty much know what you're working with quickly. His second effort on a big 3rd and 1 pickup was impressive, but overall he doesn't bring much to the table. I hate to say it because he seems like alf 2.0, humble and hard working, but if he doesn't start showing something some burst and vision he'll need to drop down the depth chart. 

All that being said, I'm not going to be overly critical of our run game in this one, the 9ers are top 5 only giving up 3.4 avg.

They were so quick to get rid of Morris yet I haven't seen anyone they've brought in to be better. 

5 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Not a big deal really. The int was really just as good as a punt. 

Every quarterback has a little Rex Grossman in him.

Kirk is a QB who seems to preprogram a lot of his plays. I think there are times he launches that pass without using his eyes or brain because of his presnap read, the play call or whatever. On the other hand, it might be a good sign that he's willing to try to give our receivers more 50/50 balls. The problem wasn't necessarily the idea, but that it was such a lousy throw.

Passer rating over 100. QBR over 80. 300+ yards. 3 TDs. 1 INT on a deep throw on a 3rd and long that served as a 50-yard punt and 2nd leading rusher with 27 yards (only 7 behind their top rusher for the day).  Kirk's critics don't know football.  I don't know what they do know but they don't know football.

24 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I think the announcers were going a bit overboard about the play of CJ Bethard.  19/36 246 1/1 QBR 57.6 Rating 72.1.  His numbers were padded by  a broken coverage as he hit a wide open receiver for a long TD.  He did little after being set up near mid field after a big kick return and of course the TD to tie was all the fumble (non fumble) and return.

It's expected that the booth played the Beathard card, it was a HUGE story line what with Bobby's name on the facade - and he almost won. That late PI on Garcon saved us from CJ being in great position to make this yet another misery monday for us fans.  He was well on his way to a game winning drive on the road with no first team reps. 

The Cards traded a conditional 6th for AP and he has paid immediate dividends.  Why weren't we on the phone?

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It's expected that the booth played the Beathard card, it was a HUGE story line what with Bobby's name on the facade - and he almost won. That late PI on Garcon saved us from CJ being in great position to make this yet another misery monday for us fans.  He was well on his way to a game winning drive on the road with no first team reps. 

Oh I get the story line, and yes without that PI we probably lose  i'm just pointing out that Beathard did not play nearly as well as the announcers would have you believe.

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I havent really seen much from Perine to really care if he keeps getting touches.  

He needs time.  Kelly's injury thrust him into a bigger role than he was ready for.  He hasn't seen enough to get comfortable and trust his instincts yet.  I believe in his talent.  I don't think he's going to be a star, but I think he can be a productive starter.

It's also not all on him.  The run game itself is inconsistent.  Jay hasn't developed a nice rhythmic feel for calling it this season.  Some games he's got it and everything flows.  But then there are ones like yesterday where he's calling the wrong runs against the wrong looks and we end up falling behind the chains--and then he always has to resist his natural instinct to start throwing the ball too much.  And the execution of the OL and TEs and WRs has also been up and down.  Sometimes they are completely dominant and then sometimes they just can't get the plays blocked and they get stuck behind the 8-Ball.  I think it's definitely a symptom of having such a multiple run game with so many difficult blocks designed into the runs.  You could get more consistency in the execution up front by simplifying the run game, but I don't know that I would go that route personally.  You'd lose the dynamism of the run game by doing that.  I think the players will get more comfortable as the season goes on, and I would continue spending premium teambuilding resources in the offseason to stack OL and TE with talent so they can run our difficult scheme well.

But in the mean time, we need to be patient with our young players because this is a particularly tough running game to execute well.

Archived