Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 49ers Post Game Assessments

Burgold

3 minutes ago, Dirt said:

We didn't complain this much about a game we lost 2 weeks ago lol.

Winning is hard in the NFL. Sorry it wasn't mind blowingly perfect everyone.

only ones complaining are the cowboyzone trolls....(who doesn't have enemy message board logins to keep the depression going? :dallas_sucks:)

Really not sure what to make of it.  Defense looked like they're playing fine until the end of the half, then where did they go?  Need better adjustments on the defensive play calling as the game progresses.  It seems like opposing coaches are making adjustments and there's no counter.

Gruen's play calling and decisions at the end of the game are bizarre.  This is the second game in a row that he has made obvious mistakes that lost and severely jeopardized a game.  Hope he goes back and makes some adjustments himself. He needs to learn from his own mistakes as much as anyone else.

Cousins didn't have a complete game but just satisfactory. He looked off and I'm seeing this as more then a WR issue.  It just seems like he hasn't played his best yet.  Just doesn't seem to have put it all together yet and he's got to step it up.  

Pryor isn't running great routes...he isn't catching everything he should catch and just not close to a #1 WR.  This could change in weeks to come as his upside is very good.  Doctson is fine and needs more targets, but he would benefit more from either Pryor or Reed playing better.  Jordan Reed just isn't getting open.  His routes aren't the same.  

Running backs are not getting the right play calls.  Simply not getting put in the right plays for their abilities. They're all a bit different and the play calling almost always seems suspect for the guy who's number is called.  CT just goes off of his matured instincts and ability, as well as Gruden seems to call better plays for his skill set. 

Not impressed. However, 3-2 is not 2-3.  They've got a lot of work to do.  Including the HBC. 

That overturned fumble by Hoyer in the 1st half (which I saw as being the right eventual call) just makes me even angrier about Kirk's "fumble" at the end of week 1.

What shouldn't be forgotten is that the QB change threw a wrench in our defensive game plan, like what happened with Josh McCown in the Chicago game in 2013. It should also be noted that, even with the defensive injuries we had going into this game, and the further such injuries that occurred during this game, we still decisively outgained them. And they've lost a bunch of close games, not just to us.

The game was frustrating to watch as it unfolded, but I don't feel bad about it now. As long as we get healthy and as long as our WRs eventually do get it going (big ifs, I know), I feel fine now.

5 minutes ago, Dirt said:

True.

This game probably (I say probably :) ) shouldn't have been this close, but 56-0 just wasn't in the cards. :nono:

2 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

only ones complaining are the cowboyzone trolls

Or maybe Redskins fans that thought we were better than we really are and just want us to take our level of play upwards and beat teams we supposed to beat instead of gloating over a lucky win handed on a platter.  We got the W, but we also have eyes to see the crap we displayed on the field.  That doesn't sound like trolls, that sound like knowledgeable and honest Redskins fans.

Just now, LavarArringtonMachine said:

Or maybe Redskins fans that thought we were better than we really are and just want us to take our level of play upwards and beat teams we supposed to beat instead of gloating over a lucky win handed on a platter.  We got the W, but we also have eyes to see the crap we displayed on the field.  That doesn't sound like trolls, that sound like knowledgeable and honest Redskins fans.

weve (me included) have been saying **** like that for the last 15 years. I'm getting old...we got the W. I don't care if we paid somebody. W is a W

1 minute ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

Yeah I'm not seeing any trolls here.  I think it's good that they got a W and saw themselves as not as good as maybe they were beginning to think they were.  Probably better to get an ego check moving into the MNF matchup. 

Just now, Gibbit said:

weve (me included) have been saying **** like that for the last 15 years. I'm getting old...we got the W. I don't care if we paid somebody. W is a W

Well I know Cousins got paid!  

I'd rather take a gut-it-out win than a blow-out against an 0-5 team (with Philly coming up next week).  These guys are still learning what they're made of.

Only sad part is the injuries.

Good news is the coaches will have plenty of motivation for the players this week.... and it should keep everyone from getting overconfident.

4 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Yeah I'm not seeing any trolls here.  I think it's good that they got a W and saw themselves as not as good as maybe they were beginning to think they were.  Probably better to get an ego check moving into the MNF matchup. 

This was supposed to be a tune-up game before next weeks big showdown.  Sorta like when you see Alabama Crimson Tide play a tune-up game against Florida A&M Rattlers.  Just some guys to kick around to shake off the bye week dust.  But then....

27 minutes ago, moondog said:

I seriously have NO idea how anyone can criticize Kirk at all in this game. Ok, so his deep ball was pitiful today. But he was damn near perfect otherwise. 67.5% completion three total td's. he stood in the pocket all day and made throws under pressure. Converted multiple third and longs in the fourth quarter with his arm and made great plays and a td with his legs. I mean aside from his poor downfield throws there was nothing to complain about. Guy threw for 330 yards today. Again. Y Thompson made plays for him but he was hitting everyone all day. 

What more does the guy have to do?!?

Haha you realize the contradiction in your first two sentences, right?

I'm someone who "criticized" him. He had some great passes, and very pretty stat line is, but he just seemed off. Look, I love cousins, but it's okay to say he missed on some and looked like he was on a different page than his wrs more than usual. 

If Breeland is done for the season that will suck, but I do like the young depth in the secondary. Personally I believe Breeland was likely gone at the end of the season.

I am more worried about Jonathan Allen needing an MRI as well.  He walked off the field fairly normal-looking which is a good sign to the untrained eye, but how many times have seen seen a player do that and then all of the sudden they injury is severe.

*fingers crossed*

1 hour ago, thebeermonkey said:

Pryor is terrible, Reed and Crowder are MIA. The running game is not happening and the play calling is conservative.

Defensively playing quite well. Brown is fantastic. Sign him now.

Special teams poor. Missed point, poor punt and didn't react to man over on onside kick.

Overall B+ first half, C- second.

It was Brown's worst game as a Redskin. Cooley was all over him most of the game.

3 minutes ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

You are especially salty today... Did you take the Redskins and the points???  Just trying to figure it out

It was far from a lucky win... If anything, luck was against us today... We gifted 12 points to the 49ers today and still came out on top ... The 49ers played the Seahawks, cards, and, rams within 3 points

Yes, there are things we can improve upon... The defense was a little sketchy, but that can be expected without Norman and Breeland

Overall, it was a win and we responded and did enough to win 

26 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

I can’t wait to hear the explanation for Gruden’s play calling on the last drive. I get keeping the clock moving but it didn’t seem that getting the first down was the ultimate  goal. 

If they got a first down it was going to be a surprise bonus. Might as well have taken 3 straight knees. There are much better ways to keep The clock running 3 straight plays than just blindly plowing into a stacked box that had been stuffed all day 

11 minutes ago, petedaddy said:

You are especially salty today... Did you take the Redskins and the points???  Just trying to figure it out

It was far from a lucky win... If anything, luck was against us today... We gifted 12 points to the 49ers today and still came out on top ... The 49ers played the Seahawks, cards, and, rams within 3 points

Yes, there are things we can improve upon... The defense was a little sketchy, but that can be expected without Norman and Breeland

Overall, it was a win and we responded and did enough to win 

Yes I was salty but im over it for the time being.  I call it lucky because they missed a fg that would have beat us and the refs called a questionable PI call against Garcon that drove them away from their kickers range.  You can throw in all the dropped passes the 49ers had today as well.  We were lucky that they sucked today because we played like some ****.  90% of other teams dont drop those passes or miss that kick.  I dont care about the Cardinals,  Seahawks, and Rams.  The Rams are decent but the other 2 teams suck.

But yeah, I was VERY salty during the game.  We struggled against a horrible team today.  A team we should have blown out by atleast 30.

Salty?  I was salty as an ant on the floor of a pretzel factor, you damn right!

I don't know what y'all have been drinking - anyone would think this was the apocalypse or something.

49ers are not a bad team. They're the first team in history to lose 5 on the spin by 3 points or less. They're not a great team, or even a particularly good one, but y'all slating on them like they're the Browns or something. They've got some nice pieces - A rookie QB who balled.

We got screwed out of 7 by the refs (again - sick of these idiots scoring for the other team every game).

We have about half our defense dinged up. We have our Perennial All-pro LT playing hurt. One of the best CBs in the league out. Our other starting corner lost halfway through the game. Our first round draft pick leaving FedEx in a boot. Swearinger playing hurt. Our starting RB out.

The Hopkins XP could have hurt us bad, and in years gone by, would have hurt us bad. 

Yes it was an ugly win. Real ugly. But these guys are playing with heart and passion like we haven't seen a team do in years. They're coming through adversity rather than bowing to it. Aldrick freaking Robinson actually caught some balls today - you know things aren't going your way when he's hauling them in and not dropping them like they're hot - yet we overcame that and walked out with a W.

It's not going down in the history books as a great performance, or one that will live long in the memory but I honestly think the only way you're mad with that game is if you'd convinced yourself pre-game that we were going to stomp them by 40+ points - That was never going to happen, and this was the archetypal trap game. That's a solid win against a team that's certainly better than their record suggests.

36 minutes ago, Dirt said:

Last week, we got beaten by the only undefeated team in the NFL, and by a reasonable margin throwing out the fumble TD on our lateral attempt. This week, we took a team that is 0-5 and most penalized in the NFL, and beat them by a whopping 2 points after squandering a 17-0 lead. I am equally sorry for not posting sunshine and daisies at the thought of a 2 point win over a team tied for worst in the NFL.

16 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

I can’t wait to hear the explanation for Gruden’s play calling on the last drive. I get keeping the clock moving but it didn’t seem that getting the first down was the ultimate  goal. 

There's nothing to really explain.

He played it ultra conservative to minimize the chance for mistakes and to take as much time off the clock as he could. In that goal, it was a success and the game was a victory.

Don't expect an apology. :) 

It wasn't the prettiest win, but even ugly wins count in the final record. So I'll take it. :815:

1 hour ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Much to be said.. I'm pretty sure, but I watched the game at a sports bar for the first time in a long time,and there was a whole family of 49ers fans in front of us and two very little 49er fan kids and the oldest being the daughter would turn and give me evil eye each time I rooted on the skins, it was awesome!!.give that kid a ****in fan card!!!...****in nail biters!!..in the words of the late eighties in living color "hate it"..but it is a w in the w/l column when the clock strikes 0..HTTR BABY..GOOD WIN TODAY!!

Should have thrown an order of bubbling hot potato skins in her little ****ing face.

I've been through changing out a toilet this weekend.  I'll take a 2-pt win and sing HTTR about it. 

The sky ain't fallin'.  Kirk's numbers were solid.  We get an extra day till we play again.  Injuries are, imho, our only TRUE worry right now, and no Xs or Os on a chalkboard are gonna fix those.

Woosah, erryone.  And HAIL.  We have a winning record right now.  :D

On the luck issue, luck was playing both sides, but that Garcon catch when he managed to track down the ball Dunbar batted away was an amazingly lucky play. How many times do you see that and that close to the sidelines too!

On the other hand, we had a couple of fumbles skip safely out of bounds.

Archived