Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 49ers Post Game Assessments

Burgold

3 minutes ago, Hdf561 said:

This was a garbage game...Kirk off all game, horrible clock management, horrible coaching, horrible play calling...very surprised we got away with a win. Hopkins has been iffy for awhile can’t miss XP just can’t. 

Glad and we got a W but this is not the team that beat Oakland and almost beat KC what happened! 

Good teams are able to get away with a win, even when they suck...

The Garcon call was legit though, he clearly screened (is that the term used in the NFL?) a defender beyond 5 yards.  Garcon is usually good for that 1-2 times a game, we should know, it happened here a bunch.  With that said, without that penalty I am thinking the 49ers manage to get into FG range, so.......thanks Garcon!

Running Game - Still not sure why Perine & Mack are not used more.  Perine looked fine today, he had some good runs and almost broke a few.  Mack Brown got the ball twice (from memory?) the first was on the 3rd and 1, where Reed whiffed his block, the other, he caught a ball, juked out a defender and got a 1st down.  There has got to be something going on behind the scenes we don't know about.

Passing Game - Cousins was okay today.  It think he hung in the pocket with guts and made some very good throws, but also made some head scratching ones too.  The would-be INT? No idea why.  The actual INT?  My only guess is that he figured an INT that far down the field would be equal to a punt, however no one was open at all, not even close.   I think Cousins is still pretty much who he is and has been.  I think he has improved some of his intangibles, like using his legs when needed, but he still seems to go through too many bouts of making bad throws when guys are open. Especially when he is throwing towards the sideline.

Wide WR's specifically -  This offense is going to have a lower ceiling on it until our Wide Receivers become more consistent.  How many folks thought in 2017 Ryan Grant would be considered the most reliable? Well guess what, that is just the truth right now.  Early in this game it seemed like Pryor, and Doctson, & Crowder all were ready to put in solid days, however they seemed to disappear.  Part of it was some bad throws by Cousins, but otherwise, this offense is relying waaay to much on Chris Thompson as a pass catcher/RB screen game.   Now, maybe later in the season that will end up as a useful disguise as defenses will be creeping up and cheating to stop it, which will open up things further down the field.

Defense - The defense is improved. Very much so, however, they are still largely a young unit and will make mistakes and mental errors along the way.  They are being relied on way too much right now during games when the offense seems to disappear for large stretches of the game.  Just because they are like light and day from 2014-2016, doesn't mean they are suddenly elite. We have to keep that in mind.  They will be a dominant unit in a few seasons (maybe less) but for now we have to stay medium on them and realize they still are comprised of a lot of young players still learning.

Special Teams - I am quickly falling off the Hopkins train.  He seems to have a larger leash then kickers in the past and I understand why you don't give up on kickers too quickly, especially when they can boot the ball for distance like Hopkins, however, the guy seems to just have a knack for missing kicks in critical situations.  There was absolutely no excuse to miss that extra point.  Absent a Garcon PI penalty, today was likely going to be a loss because Hopkins pulled an extra point for no good reason.

Overall -  This team is in transition. They are growing and getting better.There are still many upgrades to be made and the future is wide open.  As for 2017, it is hard to say with certainty.  This team's biggest enemy right now is their own inconsistency.  They are like a charcoal fire that hasn't been doused with enough lighter fluid. They burn through the fluid too quickly which doesn't allow the coals themselves to get hot enough to burn. Despite the lack of production by the WRs there are enough playmakers to make the offense go, but they have yet to really get pumping, and won't until Doctson & Pryor continue to develop and step up and takeover games.  Next week they play a tough opponent but their weakness is their secondary.  It will be a great opportunity for our WRs to show they have grown and are ready to be noticed.  The team will definitely need them too as well.  In the NFL a win is still a win, regardless of how sloppy and unimpressive.  Every winning team comes away with a few of these kinds.  Time regroup, get guys as healthy as possible and go to battle next Monday!

HTTR!

When I used to watch basketball in the 80s and 90s I remember how teams like the Lakers in the mid 80s or the Bulls in the mid 90s used to screw around for 1/2 the game or more, even go down by 20+ sometimes,  just to show that they could come back and win anyway. Thats what this game reminded me of after it was 17 to 0.

Then once it was tied the offense decided to show up again as if they're SB champs or something. 

Overall very proud of the team when getting away from the emotion of the near loss - the 49ers are better than their record and have a lot of personal agenda stuff with the Redskins - losing 5 games by 3 points or less is pretty crazy

We came out strong, very proud of the boys then, but it seemed they thought they could coast

CJ Beathard provided a nice spark, but Swearinger gifted them 4 points and helped give the 49ers momentum going into halftime

The fumble on Vernon Davis was ridiculous...that seemed plain as day to me that he was down with possession, but to each their own, so that was another 7 points gifted to the 49ers

I am very proud of how the team responded after the game was tied 17-17, Kirk led a couple nice drives and going up 26-17 (stupid Hopkins) should have sealed the deal, however....it ended up being a near devastating loss, BUT it wasn't

Offense - Kirk was solid overall, came out strong, and delivered when we needed him to... I feel like we need to play Doctson more ... what is up with the run game again???  we can't run to save our lives now

Defense - Not very impressive today...didn't seem like we could get any pressure on Beathard, but he was doing a lot of short passing game ... not having Norman and Breeland was noticeable

Coaching - not happy with Gruden just doing run, run, run up 2 at the end...i feel like you have to put the ball in Kirk's hands on 3rd down... something where it's virtually guaranteed to keep the clock running, but get Kirk on the edge and tell him to either take the 99.99% completion, take the sack, or run the ball

A few notes on individual players:

Jamison Crowder - still doesn't seem like he's here...it wasn't reported in game, but there was one crucial play, I want to say it was 2nd and 11, and Kirk took a pretty big shot and delivered a nice ball to Crowder that he should have caught for a first down

Ryan Grant - very nice game - very solid

Ryan Kerrigan - didn't see anything from him today

Where was Junior Galette

Overall - A win is a win and on to the Eagles

Got Crowder more involved and forgot all about Reed. I'm sure he was open tons! Defense lost its touch in the second half. Special teams was meh. Overall a hot start, which had all the looks of a blowout, followed by the rookie coming in and torching us. Really hope that Bree and Allen injuries aren't awful because we would be in trouble if so. Need Norman back BAD. 

1 minute ago, Gibbit said:

7 of that was horse**** ref replay bull****. And the other ten was before and after the half...it happens

You're right it does, and I truly wish I could have your optimism I really do,  but after games like this all I can picture is the eagles blowing us out of the water next week. 

I truly hope I'm wrong but if we don't get healthy fast I have a feeling we're screwed. 

4 minutes ago, Hdf561 said:

This was a garbage game...Kirk off all game, horrible clock management, horrible coaching, horrible play calling...very surprised we got away with a win. Hopkins has been iffy for awhile can’t miss XP just can’t. 

Glad and we got a W but this is not the team that beat Oakland and almost beat KC what happened! 

As I said in the game day thread, I feel the Redskins were looking a little ahead to the Eagles next Monday night.

At least that is my story, and I'm sticking to it. :P:) 

6 minutes ago, redskinss said:

You're right it does, and I truly wish I could have your optimism I really do,  but after games like this all I can picture is the eagles blowing us out of the water next week. 

I truly hope I'm wrong but if we don't get healthy fast I have a feeling we're screwed. 

well I guess we will see. We won today, be happy

....**** the eagles. They aren't the Chiefs, and we were one dropped catch from beating those guys

Just now, Burgold said:

Kerrigan did get that huge sack in the third quarter.

that's true, i did forget about that - i just got soured on him doing his run around loop where even if he got around the blocker he would be 4 yards behind the QB...the path looks like this...

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan                        Quarterback

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Just now, petedaddy said:

that's true, i did forget about that - i just got soured on him doing his run around loop where even if he got around the blocker he would be 4 yards behind the QB...the path looks like this...

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

That's why you need the middle of the D-line to collapse the pocket and push the QB backwards.  Kerrigan's job is to beat his man, he isn't going to always be able to go straight through him, so the other way is to get around him, which sends him in on an angle. If the middle of the D-line is not collapsing the pocket, the QB can step forward to avoid edge rushers. This has been a problem for years.

2 minutes ago, petedaddy said:

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

Kerrigan

your diagram makes me scared as **** of Kerrigan if Im a QB

We got relaxed. Felt with a 17 point lead we could take a breather and let the game play out. Saw lots of players on the sideline smiling and joking around, unfocused. Gruden's playcalling went from precision and exacting to wild and as if he was trying to prove a point. The two deep balls back to back, first one being an 'interception' followed again...by a 'real' interception is my best example of that. I get that it had nearly the same result as a punt, but that's still taking your foot off the gas. Go for the first down, keep moving, put some extra dirt on top of that 17 point pile and bury them. That's what great teams do. We can be great, but we must get better.

Dustin Hopkins needs serious and legitimate competition. He has been a liability the past two seasons. He lost us games last year, and forced the tie in London against the Bengals. One more field goal attempt made last year out of several, and we'd have been in the playoffs. He's not awful, and no I don't think we should send him packing, but serious and legitimate competition is a must, if anything just to light a fire up under him. If the flukey playcalling didn't lead to the offensive pass interference call on Garcon, we would have likely lost this game.

Hot takes:

-Kendall Fuller and Fabian Moreau continue to impress. I love Breeland but his potential departure, while I don't want it, would have its blow reduced if their level of play continues on its current path.

-Preston Smith played some terrible coverage on that final drive which let the 49ers get an easy first down up the middle. I cringed when he turned upfield toward the outside, leaving the middle of the field defenseless, despite it being obvious he wasn't going to catch up to anyone on that side of the field anyways. That needs to be worked out.

-Ioannidis is a stud.

-Pay Kirk, throw money at him, it's time. His legs being a threat totally throws defenses off. It's a VERY good thing that they don't respect it.

-Using Chris Thompson on first and second down between the tackles made me wince every time. He doesn't appear to be very productive on those types of up the gut runs and for his smaller frame it increases chance of injuries by a large degree. Don't like it at all.

-Ryan Grant?! Caught some difficult balls today in traffic. Wow. Love to see many commentators and sports radio personalities that crapped on him day in and day out eat crow. If he keeps it up it would give great creedence to the coaching staff.

That about sums it up. Was entertaining football. Still bullish on this team to at least make the playoffs. Philly will be very telling.

~Lucas

Cousins was off a bit today. Not only with the interception and would-be interception, but he seemed to sail and miss on more than usual. 

I hate kicking off after the half. The last two games and I believe against the eagles as well, we were on D to close out the 1st half and open the 2nd half, which had a huge effect on momentum.

Much to be said.. I'm pretty sure, but I watched the game at a sports bar for the first time in a long time,and there was a whole family of 49ers fans in front of us and two very little 49er fan kids and the oldest being the daughter would turn and give me evil eye each time I rooted on the skins, it was awesome!!.give that kid a ****in fan card!!!...****in nail biters!!..in the words of the late eighties in living color "hate it"..but it is a w in the w/l column when the clock strikes 0..HTTR BABY..GOOD WIN TODAY!!

13 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Cousins was off a bit today. Not only with the interception and would-be interception, but he seemed to sail and miss on more than usual. 

It seems that way, but not really.

Cousins finished 25 of 37 for 330 yards with 2 passing TDs and one rushing TD (and one INT).

That's not too bad a day.

We have to learn how to beat sorry teams CONVINCINGLY!!!!  You see what we did to the Raiders a couple of weeks ago?  We whooped them good like you supposed to beat bad teams.  

That display we put out there against this bad 49ers team was unacceptable.  Yeah the refs made a bad call on the V. Davis play, but should it have mattered against THIS 49ers team?

I thought we were good enough to spot them 14 points and still blow them out.  I believe i am wrong.  I believe I got a little ahead of myself thinking we were better than we really are.  We actually were lucky to beat the 49ers in our own backyard and that reality suck.

My grade for us today is a "C"

2 minutes ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

I thought we were good enough to spot them 14 points and still blow them out.  I believe i am wrong.  I believe I got a little ahead of myself thinking we were better than we really are.  We actually were lucky to beat the 49ers in our own backyard and that reality suck.

Well, if you give them the Davis screw job and the Swearinger gaffe... We survived spotting them 11 points. Thanks to an Offensive PI call

3 minutes ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

We have to learn how to beat sorry teams CONVINCINGLY!!!!  You see what we did to the Raiders a couple of weeks ago?  We whooped them good like you supposed to beat bad teams.  

That display we put out there against this bad 49ers team was unacceptable.  Yeah the refs made a bad call on the V. Davis play, but should it have mattered against THIS 49ers team?

Damn it!!!..I'm so on the fence for this post..the positive side of the win makes me wanna argue but the reality side of me agree whole heartedly..

1st of all Washington Won the ballgame.

Too many times in years past, there was a whole bunch of woulda shoulda coulda stuff.  Winning the game is HUGE!

But the underlying theme here is that these Redskins are definitely on the rise, but we ain't there yet.  Covering an 11 point spread?  We're not that team....yet.

Bear in mind that this is shaping up to be that elusive Breakout Year for The Team.  Sure, there's plenty to chew on & quibble over.  But prevailing each week is a BIG DEAL for the psyche of this young team. 

Let them keep Winning and building momentumn - then see what they've got when they have the confidence of knowing they will Win every week!

Bottom line here; we all expected The Redskins to be 3-2 going into the Monday Night Showdown.  And they are.

Get excited!

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Well, if you give them the Davis screw job and the Swearinger gaffe... We survived spotting them 11 points. Thanks to an Offensive PI call

Again...  even with all those things against a good team, a good team blows the 49ers out.  We arent a good team yet, but we escaped with a W.  We have to tighten up if we wanna place ourselves amongst the better half of the league.

29 minutes ago, Hdf561 said:

I seriously have NO idea how anyone can criticize Kirk at all in this game. Ok, so his deep ball was pitiful today. But he was damn near perfect otherwise. 67.5% completion three total td's. he stood in the pocket all day and made throws under pressure. Converted multiple third and longs in the fourth quarter with his arm and made great plays and a td with his legs. I mean aside from his poor downfield throws there was nothing to complain about. Guy threw for 330 yards today. Again. Y Thompson made plays for him but he was hitting everyone all day. 

What more does the guy have to do?!?

Archived