Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 49ers Post Game Assessments

Burgold

I'm telling you guys if you get a chance to see it again the Redskins coaches were clearly signally for a timeout with about 5 seconds on the play clock, it's as if the Niners heard it and relaxed which is why it appeared as if they were about to cluelessly let the clock expire. 

As for the play calling I'm OK with the conservative runs after the onsides kick. Up two score with the opponent out of timeouts in the final few minutes is a pretty good spot to be in.  I didn't expect them to leave a receiver wide open for a quick long score and neither did the head coach. 

18 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

It's time for a new kicker. Gruden was a fairy on the last drive. Play to win the game. That punt was brutal.

If you are referring to our punter blasting the ball 1/2 way through the end zone near the end of the game well that bothered me too. These guys are supposed to be pros and sometimes they act like little league players. Why no coffin corner try or a high punt  that we could down inside the 5? 

2 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

If you are referring to our punter blasting the ball 1/2 way through the end zone near the end of the game well that bothered me too. These guys are supposed to be pros and sometimes they act like little league players. Why no coffin corner try or a high punt  that we could down inside the 5? 

Oh it bothered met too. But at the time I thought the only way they could lose is to get the punt blocked or give up a big return, he was just trying to get it off without a block or a return I'm thinking. 

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Oh it bothered met too. But at the time I thought the only way they could lose is to get the punt blocked or give up a big return, he was just trying to get it off without a block or a return I'm thinking. 

Yes, at that time I am thinking now is a bad time for a punt block too but still, does it take more time to do a pooch punt than a regular punt? Just another mistake in the never seem to improve Redskins. Does anyone know or care if Gillette played or what has happened to him in the past few weeks?

@Voice_of_Reason agreed on Grant being where he needs to be on the chart. I’m saying WE don’t appreciate him as much as we should. 

And I put Doctson and Reed in the same category. Not blaming them, necessarily. I don’t know who is to “blame”. Coaches? Cousins? Them? Injuries? No one? Just an observation from someone not in the room.

@CTskin no edit for that bullet point. It stands as written. I put the clause in there and everything. ES doesn’t load in half of my computers and sometimes on my phone... it’s too much of a hassle to go back and renumber :ols:

Just now, KDawg said:

@Voice_of_Reason agreed on Grant being where he needs to be on the chart. I’m saying WE don’t appreciate him as much as we should. 

And I put Doctson and Reed in the same category. Not blaming them, necessarily. I don’t know who is to “blame”. Coaches? Cousins? Them? Injuries? No one? Just an observation from someone not in the room.

I appreciate Grant for what he is. But I can't get excited about him.  In a lot of ways, he's proof that the other more talented receivers aren't doing their jobs.  I like him, I like having him available as a backup, but I really wish that he wasn't counted on in big spots.  

And I put Doctson and Reed in different categories.  Doctson is still learning, and I'm fine with that.  

I swear Reed is hurt.  And that is what it is.  He just doesn't look right.  Could be effecting his ability to practice, run, plant, etc.  Not sure.  But he doesn't look like he has in the past.  

On that punt... clearly milking clock was the highest priority before that. On that same theme, I thought it was worth the risk to kick the ball towards a corner and hope it bounces around and milks another 2-5 seconds off the clock, or just kick it OOB inside the 20 (akin to milking even more time).... sure - there was the risk of a big return but there is a risk of a TD every single play.

Suppose the worst thing happened and they return it for a TD, guess what, we'd get the ball back with lots of time and timeouts.

I feel like coaching conservative there worrying about the time left barely worked. We needed that PI call to stave off a potential back breaking week ruining ES crashing misery monday FG attempt.

17 hours ago, Xameil said:

Other positive of the day...it would be absolutely crazy and stupid for red face Jr to go after Cousins with Beathard on the roster. Kid can play....

Yes but only 1 game and against a depleted secendary that had a letdown when he came in. See what happens when he starts against the Hawks.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

CJ had 7 drives.  1 punt and 1 missed FG, otherwise our defense couldn't get off the field. CJ deserves a lot of credit for that.  Our pass rush defense is nothing to scoff at, we are now formidable.

Edit, add the end of game desperation INT after the Garcon PI really stacked the deck against his first big win.

Not to mention that the niners had a TON of drops in that game. 

1 minute ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Yes but only 1 game and against a depleted secendary that had a letdown when he came in. See what happens when he starts against the Hawks.

Fair enough. I do agree, I just see that even with all the WR drops they had, he was able to drop 10 on us quickly and almost took it from us.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I appreciate Grant for what he is. But I can't get excited about him.  In a lot of ways, he's proof that the other more talented receivers aren't doing their jobs.  I like him, I like having him available as a backup, but I really wish that he wasn't counted on in big spots.  

And I put Doctson and Reed in different categories.  Doctson is still learning, and I'm fine with that.  

I swear Reed is hurt.  And that is what it is.  He just doesn't look right.  Could be effecting his ability to practice, run, plant, etc.  Not sure.  But he doesn't look like he has in the past.  

Honestly Grant had 2 clutch 3 rd down receptions in this game. I have been disgusted with him as a waste of space in the  past but he has done well this year.   I mean I have to give the guy credit.  At least he runs his routes correctly.   

Now Reed, in this past game, Cousin's went to him twice in a row and he caught the balls.  He looked fine to me.

But then, which is typical,  we went away from him, abandoning the screens to CT and Crowder and reverted to trying to run the ball again and it was not working.   It seems to me we do best with screens and intermediate passes to Reed, Crowder, and Davis.  With the occasional balls to Doctson and Pryor - they are both still developing.  And I get you have to take what the D gives you but the D always gives the screens and Reed always beats his guy for the intermediate pass as does Crowder.

Gruden's has this tendency at times to stay with what is not working and abandon what is.  I understand the need to run and mix it up but not stay with things that are not working and abandon it when it is working.  

Doctson I agree is progressing and I like where he is.  And Cousin's and Gruden are trusting him more.  It was very telling to me that Gruden calls the plays from the way Cousin's responded in his pressor regarding Doctson.

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Not to mention that the niners had a TON of drops in that game. 

5 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Fair enough. I do agree, I just see that even with all the WR drops they had, he was able to drop 10 on us quickly and almost took it from us.

Forgot about all the drops they had. If they were catches instead we may be complaining about a loss instead of a win.

Another problem with Jay's run run run touchback milk time approach, our DBs were walking wounded at that point, and had just gotten torched deep on the drive before that. He put the onus on them. With Allen maybe our best DL, out.

I am still not convinced that it is always best to milk time.  Imagine we don't, and instead pass / go aggressively for a first down. Maybe we ice the game, via putting the game into our best players hands - say Kirk and Reed. Vs Paul and Perine running up the gut. There is something to be said about using your best players at crunch time.

In the end, we run risk of milking the clock on ourselves. Had they made a 57 yarder, maybe we'd have gotten the ball back with time. As it was, we made sure there was no time. We got lucky they didn't kick a FG otherwise we'd really be dissecting those 3 Perine runs up the gut.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He absolutely fits the bill for the guy you want on your team but hate his guts when he's on the other team.  I must admit that I also enjoy him getting what he asked for, $ and 0 wins.

I wanted him gone for a long time. He's a selfish prick.

Doc's 2 EZ targets shows how raw he still is.  

The first ... although he caught the TD ... he ran his route too rounded ... telegraphing the DB where he was going.

The second he miffed because he was a half a second slow getting to the spot. 

A work in progress.

As for Pryor ... IMO he is wasting his time with Skins.

I don't know what a lot of you were watching, but the niners are a good team.  There defensive front is very talented, they are just very young.  They have 32 new players out of 53, new coach, new gm, new d coordinator... It is going to take them some time to gel, but they aren't the browns... I thought Kirk played well minus the long balls, I don't see how anyone could think differently.  Most misses on the timing routes I'm putting on our non-existent wide receivers...  At the end of the game did you really want to punt in bounds after the punt returner almost took one to the house... I'm sure that's why Gruden did it. I agree this was a frustrating game, but i just don't come away with all the doom and gloom a lot of you have.  We are really banged up, so overall i think we played decent.  A sold C+, and I know we can play better, especially if we can start to get healthy...

Edit... Oh and on the Sweringer penalty, I not going to blame him too much, he explained why he did it, and i'm ok with it sorta of, he is setting a tone. He's a leader on this team, and is sticking up for his guys.  For those that didn't see the presser, he said he is not tolerating someone getting up and celebrating when one of his guys is hurt laying on the field... But did say he can't do that in the future.

Wow, Skins fan is becoming insufferable win or lose. It's a shame Because im enjoying the hell out of actually winning games that we would always lose in the past. We have many of our top players out or injured, we've had a few bad calls go completely against us, we are playing a ton of young players, and yet we've won 3 of 5 games. Next week is a whole other animal and will be a statement on if we are ready for that next step.. I'm stoked.

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I watched very little of the game because of a mandatory voluntary work fundraiser. 

That said, hadn't we lost to something like 48 straight former coaches and coordinators in a row?  So at least we broke that curse.

we beat McVay in week two

Count me among those who see incremental progress taking place. We're still adjusting to a LOT of roster turnover and an unusual number of injuries, particularly and obviously on D. Sure there were some errors yesterday, and sure we should never have taken our foot off the gas, but what's telling is that the team *responded* aggressively and positively to a late swoon rather than giving into it.

And it can't be said enough to those Niners fans who are kvetching about the *properly called* OPI: Vernon Davis' elbow says hello.

I was sketched out seeing McClure injured early in the game.  I figured he was a teamer pressed into emergency duty. With him hurt, it was going to be a long night. Then Swearinger got clubbed in the head - proto call! I am then on tilt seeing what looks like Montae injured (in nearly every game). Then Bree gets hurt - which looks bad. Problem is, it's like this every week.

2F99Mj4.png

39 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I was sketched out seeing McClure injured early in the game.  I figured he was a teamer pressed into emergency duty. With him hurt, it was going to be a long night. Then Swearinger got clubbed in the head - proto call! I am then on tilt seeing what looks like Montae injured (in nearly every game). Then Bree gets hurt - which looks bad. Problem is, it's like this every week.

<MASH pic>

With all the injuries...M*A*S*H* was definitely the appropriate pic to post....

45 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

The fanbase today:  A win is the only thing that matters, not style points for how pretty you looked during the game.

Also the fanbase today: The 49ers are a really good team

I think the other thing we fans ought to consider today is that the 0-5 Giants beat the 3-1 Broncos. Thankfully, we didn't go splat.

Mind you, I think some are being unfair. This is a thread about post game assessments and it is fair to be critical in this thread. The game turned very stressful after half time. I think a large part of that had to do with injuries, but it also had to do with the Redskins thinking the game was over and letting their foot off the gas. It was way too early to start coasting. So, some criticism and negatives are warranted in our analysis.

The other thing is, this thread started right after the game ended and so the first blush of emotions were still coursing through our veins. The win certainly did feel like an escape vs. a triumph. It also felt like a C+ effort (which was my initial grade). We have room to improve, but ultimately we can smile, because while we can improve we won. Imagine how we'd feel if we were Denver today. Actually, none of us have to image... recent Redskins teams have been the one to give zero win teams their first win all too often.

Archived