Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

31 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Who are the other Virginia beach posters here besides me?

I'm in Chesapeake, but I primarily work in Virginia Beach.  I make a left on at the light onto Nimmo Pkwy, it's crazy thinking that this happened so close to home.

Edited by bushwack

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

According to the local NBC affiliate, it was a disgruntled ex city employee who was fired yesterday.  Hope he roasts in Hell.  Long past time for the country to pass some god damn gun control.

What gun control you gonna pass a govt employee  can't get around?

you may reply in the  appropriate thread if you wish.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

It's too bad about those people, but someday we may need to overthrow a tyrannical government again and some folks need to defend themselves against legit bad people -- excuse me while I worship the 2nd Amendment and the sacred Constitution...

I mean considering our current government it may not seem so far fetched. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So does this guy fit the profile?

Edit:  Nope.  40 year old black male.

Maybe now we can get some gun control.

Where did you see this? I haven’t seen any info on the shooter. 

Sad to see this in my hometown. Lived in Kempsville until my Sophomore year of college. 

We need to take a good long look at the ease of access to guns here. Other countries have the same angry disgruntled workers and picked on school kids and yet they don't have these mass shootings. So what's the difference?

Edited by The Evil Genius

18 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

America loves this sort of thing.

Why do you keep saying this?  Cause we don't, America, responsible gun owners, etc......

Edit:  @CousinsCowgirl84 why you laughing at this?  I'm serious. Nobody loves any of this.  Tha **** is wrong with you?

Edit 2:  just want to point out that my first edit was in response to CC84 selection of the laughing emoji.  I see she has now changed it to the confused emoji.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Why do you keep saying this?  Cause we don't, America, responsible gun owners, etc......

Prove it.  Gun Violence is celebrated in America.  Certainly, there is no evidence that waving a gun around is frowned upon.

For a long time, we were trying to keep guns out of school... but we love guns so much it just wasn’t possible, so much so that we are trying to figure out a way to get them into schools now. 

So to keep this about mass shootings, there is no evidence we don’t like them. Keep your tragedy. We’ll keep our guns.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Prove it.  Gun Violence is celebrated in America.  Certainly, there is no evidence that waving a gun around is frowned upon.

For a long time, we were trying to keep guns out of school... but we love guns so much it just wasn’t possible, so much so that we are trying to figure out a way to get them into schools now. 

So to keep this about mass shootings, there is no evidence we don’t like them. Keep your tragedy. Well keep our guns.

You need a pill or two.......tha ****?  You saying America likes this ****, we dont.  That includes gun owners.  Why tha **** you even post on here?    You make no damn sense most of the time.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

Suspect y'all might be unjustly attacking CC, here.  (And I never expected to say that.)

I don't believe she's trying to say that these things are good.  Or to minimize them.  

But rather to say that America loves to watch them.  In the same way they like to watch train wrecks, hurricanes, and Donald Trump tweets.  

Then again, it's possible y'all are right, too.  :) 

• Like 2

I think CC is right.

While we may not "love" this, per sé, we certainly do nothing to prevent it, and in fact do everything possible to further exacerbate the problem.

As to the delivery of the thoughts..  what else is there to do? Collectively we've cried, screamed, demanded, and nothing changes except more and more and more guns and more and more instances of heinous violence made easy by the unfettered access to them by anyone who wants them.

(Oh, they'd just get another weapon, say the idiots. Well, **** you, Lets make them use other weapons for a change, shall we? Because clearly all of the guns are not helping any.)

Also, there is no profile anymore.

it can be largely this group or hardly ever that group, but everyone gets well represented in the "I'm going to shoot everyone" crowd.

Anyway, happy Saturday everybody. Hope today isn't your day to become a statistic. Just remember..  you're playing whether you want to or not.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

CC is right.  The only thing she is guilty of Is lack of tact or “saying the quiet part loud”, so to speak.  Because, as hard as may be for sane people to believe, the NRA/gun market/far-right does in fact “love it”.  Mass shootings are great for business and this instance will simply be piled onto the “only more guns could have prevented this” narrative.

This is a feedback loop and it will never stop because Americans are too stupid and cowardly to make a change and have been taught their whole lives that a gun can make them a superhero.  And they believe that with all their heart...over and above any fact of science or tenet of any religion.  The gun is their law and their lord.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just my $.02

This discussion is dumb.  Americans don't "love" this.  One, polls show most people support some level of increased gun control.  Now what level varies greatly.  But I think most everyone would agree that we'd rather not have these things happen.  Two, there are plenty of things that Americans obviously don't "love" yet lack the motivation to really drive change.  This falls squarely in that category.  And like most other things, it's not that Americans don't want change.  The issue is corporate interests take precedence over the people's desires in this country.  Anyone who agrees Americans "love" this, I'd argue they must also love the current state of politics.  Or corporations having more say over what happens in our country than the electorate.  After all, don't see a whole lot being done about it either.  So you can argue (correctly I'd say) that Americans lack the motivation to do anything substantive about this.  But to say we love this, that's just ****ing stupid.  So if you think that Americans love it, go hug your NRA card.  Since almost everyone here is an American, you must also love it.

Back to the topic of this shooting, I'm tired of hearing the talking heads point out that Virginia is an open-carry state like that makes a difference.  I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone open carry around here.  And when it does happen, there is usually a cop or security guard in close proximity.  Now there can (and should) be a debate about what led to this and ways it could have been avoided.  But VA being an open carry state played zero role in this.

Lastly, I'm really surprised we don't see more of this happening on military bases.  You want to talk about an over-stressed, disgruntled group, it's people in uniform.  And it isn't exactly difficult to get a gun on base.  There was a shooting on base here at NAS Oceana a few weeks ago but that turned out to just be a domestic dispute.  I thought we might see something after that like more random vehicle inspections or something to at least make it look like it might be difficult to get a gun on base but nope, nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I also wanted to add some additional thought here. Workplace violence is older than the "mass shooting" and "domestic terrorism" craze that has become main stream constant news fodder over the past decade +.

This was a topic taught, studied, and stressed in HR curriculum more than the great DISC vs. Myer Briggs debate. Very similar to how flight attendants are actually there for your safety, but the public thinks they are just drink slingers - true HR personnel are versed in contingency plans, escape routes, and signs to look for/report.

The main difference - the constant news coverage. I'm going to see if I can dig up some metrics to compare the occurance rate.

I keep checking to see if anyone is going to start discuss gun control in the other thread, but no one seems to.....

Edited by thegreaterbuzzette
Typo
  • Like 2