Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

20 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Why does innocent Muslims being murdered illicit a response from you of pointing out innocent Christians being murdered? What point are you trying to make? 

I believe the header reads General Mass Shootings. Point? You mean there are now degrees or levels of outrage?

12 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Yanno, just as an aside, consider the source here. If you even click the link the banner across the top of the page kinda sets the tone for where they are coming from, this is NOT a "news source" in any sense or definition of the word.

Just for example, when something like this "happens", Google it, see what sources are covering it. If you have some super-secret we-are-the-only-ones-with-the-truth website raving about it as clickbait, you might want to look elsewhere.

I knew where this reporting came from, and I agree that the last 2 words in their heading was unnecessary. I posted the URL so that one could contrast their reporting of it as with that of the included link of The Gaurdian (https://guardian.ng/about-us/).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

Yeah, that whole Nigeria thing isn’t a mass murder.  It’s a national conflict.  Also, the Christians in Nigeria are responsible for the biggest single day death count... so let’s move along with that diversion.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/09/boko-haram-deadliest-massacre-baga-nigeria

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/jan/23/boko-haram-nigeria-civilian-death-toll-highest-acled-african-war-zones

And yeah... it's both

12 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

American mainstream news caters to an urban audience and they know which narratives generate the most revenue.  Christians getting slaughtered or the Chinese wiping out yet another religious group, doesn’t generate as many clicks.  They can’t tie those into American political narratives.  

“This is the ****ty thing western countries might be responsible for this time” out sells “this is the far worse ****ty thing these other group we are (or should be) opposing, is doing right now”.  The only reason they talked about Saidi Arabia as much as they did was because they could tie it back to Western Governments.  Western media consumers love guilt more than Catholics.  

Its a business.  The narratives that outperform the others, win. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Destino said:

American mainstream news caters to an urban audience and they know which narratives generate the most revenue.  Christians getting slaughtered or the Chinese wiping out yet another religious group, doesn’t generate as many clicks.  They can’t tie those into American political narratives.  

“This is the ****ty thing western countries might be responsible for this time” out sells “this is the far worse ****ty thing these other group we are (or should be oppsong) is doing right now”.  The only reason they talked about Saidi Arabia as much as they did was because they could tie it back to Western Governments.  Western media consumers love guilt more than Catholics.  

Its a business.  The narratives that outperform the others, win. 

I think this hurts us as a country though. We could have a common enemy, instead we fight each other so much we dont even notice them. Not that I dont understand the business nature of it. But I dont like it. Its not much different than what Fox does in the grand scheme of things - besides the constant lying of course. By that I mean driving the narrative that make money and not the one that makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Not only that, but an immediate response to a gross tragedy, instead of waiting for hundreds more before enacting measures.

Thats what shocks me. How fast it was. Our government is holding us back so bad that I couldnt even fathom a response this fast. 

19 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I can't get the link to open.  How are they defining what is illegal and what is not?

doesn't go into any great detail. Says some guns will be reclassified as "military style" and others will have exceptions made for business and hunting. 

29 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Muslims getting murdered by Christians in Nigeria also doesn’t make the news in the US. (In Palestine as well, obvs)

as destino pointed out, what drives narratives at the moment is the perceived 'weak' party getting screwed by the perceived 'strong' party. this is why a spotlight will be put on stories like interactions with police and your above example while the fact is these kinds of events are incredibly rare particularly when compared to situations where the roles are reversed. 

at the moment, for the left, its all about power dynamics and perception. but this isn't a bad thing. we should be looking out for those who have less power than others. now, at times, it is a virtue becoming a vice. the right on the other hand contends that its a problem when you focus on the incredibly small problem at the expense of the much larger one. on the right people are much more likely to look at a problem independent of power dynamics and make a judgement about which we should focus on, which has its shortcomings because it may not take into account other causal factors. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

doesn't go into any great detail. Says some guns will be reclassified as "military style" and others will have exceptions made for business and hunting. 

Okay.  I'll save my criticisms for the Gun Control thread.  I'm just really curious to see what definitions they use.  

37 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Okay.  I'll save my criticisms for the Gun Control thread.  I'm just really curious to see what definitions they use.  

Honestly, this isn't the US. There's not a massive groundswell of gun lovers supporting their rights to have weapons that can kill tons of people. They could draw the line at anything that goes "pew pew" without manually reloading and it would pass with massive support. And in general, people would be fine with it. Our gun culture is unique to us and has been cultivated over the course of decades.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Honestly, this isn't the US. There's not a massive groundswell of gun lovers supporting their rights to have weapons that can kill tons of people. They could draw the line at anything that goes "pew pew" without manually reloading and it would pass with massive support. And in general, people would be fine with it. Our gun culture is unique to us and has been cultivated over the course of decades.

I get that.  Just wanted to compare their terms with thing like the assault weapon ban the we used to have, etc.

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I get that.  Just wanted to compare their terms with thing like the assault weapon ban the we used to have, etc.

Gotcha. From what I’m reading (only fairly vague outlines thus far), I expect much closer to Australia laws than 90s era US AWB.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:00 PM, BleedBNG said:

I believe the header reads General Mass Shootings. Point? You mean there are now degrees or levels of outrage?

I knew where this reporting came from, and I agree that the last 2 words in their heading was unnecessary. I posted the URL so that one could contrast their reporting of it as with that of the included link of The Gaurdian (https://guardian.ng/about-us/).

Seeing as outrage and sympathy regarding Muslims being murdered makes you uncomfortable enough to post something in “retaliation”, I would say there definitely are degrees and levels of outrage. It’s unfortunate and reprehensible that people like yourself feel the need to do that but hey that’s the world we live in, and please don’t insult my intelligence and tell me it’s a complete coincidence you posted that article when you did. 

On 3/21/2019 at 12:28 PM, Berggy9598 said:

Seeing as outrage and sympathy regarding Muslims being murdered makes you uncomfortable enough to post something in “retaliation”, I would say there definitely are degrees and levels of outrage. It’s unfortunate and reprehensible that people like yourself feel the need to do that but hey that’s the world we live in, and please don’t insult my intelligence and tell me it’s a complete coincidence you posted that article when you did. 

Most of the people who were slaughtered by the extremists were Muslim. Same as about 98% of the people killed by Al Qaeda were Muslims. Sorry, don't know what you mean by "retaliation."

Note: From https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nigeria-christians-muslims/
"Reports by Breitbart and the Christian Post website failed readers by presenting a woefully narrow viewpoint on the conflict, emphasizing only the religious affiliations of the participants while neglecting to mention what impartial experts have highlighted as being the primary driving force behind it: a dispute over natural resources and land usage.
 While Breitbart’s article provided details of several reported attacks by Fulani herders on farmers in Kaduna State in February and March 2019, it did not mention the attack on the mainly Muslim Fula ethnic group, which was the single largest reported atrocity during the time period in question."

Edited by BleedBNG
  • Haha 1