Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

I wasn’t gonna comment on the egg incident, but since it keeps coming back...

Im not a hate speech guy.  I could imagine though, if elected, I’d probably have my share of enemies (white nationalists, super Christians, anti-sciencers, idiots, etc).  Now if I was giving a speech and one of those assholes came up and blindsided me with egg, I’d probably be inclined to punch the mother****er.  Maybe I’d punch him two or three times until I realize that I’m not hurt and it’s just egg on my face.  By that time, my bodyguards would probably be subduing him and protecting me.

But yeah, what if it’s a rock and not and egg.  Or a knife and not and egg.  Or a gun.  Or anthrax.  Just not cool, man.  That how people get killed by mistake.  You don’t just walk up to elected officials and hit them with random stuff.

So while I understand what this kid did, and why he did it, I don’t think it was the smartest idea and the reaction wasn’t exactly surprising to me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I wasn’t gonna comment on the egg incident, but since it keeps coming back...

Im not a hate speech guy.  I could imagine though, if elected, I’d probably have my share of enemies (white nationalists, super Christians, anti-sciencers, idiots, etc).  Now if I was giving a speech and one of those assholes came up and blindsided me with egg, I’d probably be inclined to punch the mother****er.  Maybe I’d punch him two or three times until I realize that I’m not hurt and it’s just egg on my face.  By that time, my bodyguards would probably be subduing him and protecting me.

But yeah, what if it’s a rock and not and egg.  Or a knife and not and egg.  Or a gun.  Or anthrax.  Just not cool, man.  That how people get killed by mistake.  You don’t just walk up to elected officials and hit them with random stuff.

So while I understand what this kid did, and why he did it, I don’t think it was the smartest idea and the reaction wasn’t exactly surprising to me.

I think this is right. I think the kid ought to have expected being tackled to the ground. The politician and his bodyguards overreacted esp. when they realize there was no "threat" only embarrassment and a dry cleaning bill. The kid was being rebellious and might be deserving of a nod, but probably also a slap up the head. Like Larry said, I can understand the initial response, but as an adult and a leader (or a bodyguard) you are supposed to maintain a cooler head.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I think this is right. I think the kid ought to have expected being tackled to the ground. The politician and his bodyguards overreacted esp. when they realize there was no "threat" only embarrassment and a dry cleaning bill. The kid was being rebellious and might be deserving of a nod, but probably also a slap up the head. Like Larry said, I can understand the initial response, but as an adult and a leader (or a bodyguard) you are supposed to maintain a cooler head.

Yeah, though Nazis/white supremacists and "cool heads" don't tend to go together.

I will give the kid this though...he did it and then stood there pretty defiantly. He didn't throw it then run away.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah, though Nazis/white supremacists and "cool heads" don't tend to go together.

I will give the kid this though...he did it and then stood there pretty defiantly. He didn't throw it then run away.

You're right, he showed who he was by swinging on that kid.  And I'll give it to the kid, too, he stood there defiantly.  Although I think with holding up that phone with his left hand, he might have thought he was safe from a right handed punch, I don't think he ever saw that left hook coming :ols:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Good for Arnold. Classy way to spin it and handle it.

Having something hurled at you in a crowd is entirely different than having someone personally smack you in the head in a smaller setting.  I don't, for a minute, believe that Arnold would react the same way if a person came up and smacked him with an egg in the head.  No chance he just ignores it.  He wouldn't hit the kid, but he'd get mad (because he's human) and security would be all over the kid.

The kid made a bad man lose his cool and make himself look even worse, and he paid the price for what he did.  Mission accomplished, good for him.  But there are consequences.  Remember when Sean Thompson thought he could get away with hitting Kevin Johnson with a pie in the face as a bit of political theater?  He got his butt kicked and then went to jail.  Assault is not protected speech and walking up to people and hitting them is never "no big deal."  Even if they deserve it. 

4 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Tucker is a boarding school dickbag but I still insist that we should be naming the killer and discussing his morbid beliefs.  This wasn't a "shooting" this was a terrorist attack.  Hiding from ISIS didn't make them go away.  Hiding from white nationalism won't make it go away.  Show their faces, show their beliefs, and never let them hide from what they are.  Call them out every chance we get and make sure that everyone knows who they are.  That's a much more effective approach IMO. 

Because their poison is spreading online right now.  Not putting them on CNN or FOX doesn't stop that.  White nationalism must be confronted.  Not just the general idea of it, but the specifics and the individuals behind it. 

On 3/15/2019 at 5:55 PM, Simmsy said:

Can we please stop this "good guy with a gun" dream, it doesn't exist.

I'm not sure how much this is exaggerated, but I bet on good guys myself.

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/03/16/abdul-aziz-stopped-shooter-linwood-mosque-credit-card-machine-empty-gun/

Abdul Aziz Stopped The Shooter At The Linwood Mosque With A Credit Card Machine And An Empty Gun

31 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

One mass shooting incident and they make immediate changes in New Zealand.

Must be nice to have actual responsible, caring government.

All we get are "thoughts and prayers."

#repealthesecondamendment

Have they made any actual changes yet or just proposals?

https://thinkprogress.org/new-zealand-pulls-murdochs-sky-news-australia-off-the-air-over-mosque-massacre-coverage-353cd22f86a7/

New Zealand pulls Murdoch’s Sky News Australia off the air over mosque massacre coverage

Rupert Murdoch’s 24-hour Sky News Australia has been pulled off the air by independently-owned Sky New Zealand. The decision was made after Murdoch’s channel refused to stop showing graphic video footage shot by the man who killed 49 people at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, on Friday.

This was despite calls from the police urging anyone broadcasting the disturbing footage to stop circulating it. “Police are aware there is extremely distressing footage relating to the incident in Christchurch circulating online,” the New Zealand police said in a statement. “We would strongly urge that the link not be shared. We are working to have any footage removed.”

On Saturday, the New Zealand broadcaster announced the decision to pull the channel off the air. “We stand in support of our fellow New Zealanders and have made the decision to remove Sky News Australia from our platform until we are confident that the distressing footage from yesterday’s events will not be shared,” it said in a now-deleted Tweet.

I'm guessing they've spent quite a bit of time praying.  It's a bit off putting to see people mocking prayer in the aftermath of a religious hate crime and mass murder.  New Zealand is simply unlikely to stop at thoughts and prayers, probably because their people aren't as dead set against changes to gun laws as Americans are. 

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

One mass shooting incident and they make immediate changes in New Zealand.

Must be nice to have actual responsible, caring government.

All we get are "thoughts and prayers."

#repealthesecondamendment

Such a non-starter, why even set yourself up for this level of disappointment?