Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

Anyone familiar enough with the west L.A area to know the Pico /Robertson area? Great place to go for middle eastern food but more importantly it’s a very busy area. I hate that that thought even crosses my mind but that’s the world we live in. Time to start treating these guys like any other terror network. 

8 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Anyone familiar enough with the west L.A area to know the Pico /Robertson area? Great place to go for middle eastern food but more importantly it’s a very busy area. I hate that that thought even crosses my mind but that’s the world we live in. Time to start treating these guys like any other terror network. 

Just to be clear, who are "these guys" you refer to?

• Like 1

I wonder sometimes what if there was no religion... would the hate be less today?

Islamophobia, racism and white nationalism have long managed to find their way into the upper echelons of western democratic governments, be it in Australia, the US, or Europe.

More interesting read HERE

4 hours ago, zskins said:

I wonder sometimes what if there was no religion... would the hate be less today?

That’s an odd comment to make following the mass murder of a religious group.  Especially being that the slaughter was motivated by paranoia and hate centered mostly around race and culture, two things that would exist if religion never had.  

Humans are tribal.  We’ll battle over just about any difference we can use to separate “us” from “them.”.  From economic systems all the way down to arbitrarily chosen physical attributes, which is all skin color (or race) really is.  Without religions you’d think there would be less to fight about, but I honestly believe we’d find something else to fill the void.  If we were all the same color and the same religion, I wouldn’t be surprised if short people started fighting tall people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Destino said:

That’s an odd comment to make following the mass murder of a religious group.  Especially being that the slaughter was motivated by paranoia and hate centered mostly around race and culture, two things that would exist if religion never had.  

Except you will find people in a Mosque from all sorts of races and cultures around the globe, unless the shooter thought (in his twisted mind) that Muslim is a race from the Middle East and Islam is the culture. 

8 hours ago, zskins said:

Islamophobia, racism and white nationalism have long managed to find their way into the upper echelons of western democratic governments, be it in Australia, the US, or Europe.

More interesting read HERE

Maybe, but I think it's like the school uniform debate. One reason that schools push uniforms is the argument that if the kids dress the same then kids can't be cruel to each other, no one can make fun of each other for how they dress.

It doesn't work. Kids find different ways to be cruel, to suss out differences or invent them. Maybe it works on the edges,  but not really. If there were no religion, hate would still live on in humanity. They would hate on the basis of culture, region, gender, race, wealth, etc. Heck, in America look how many hate not because of religion but for the excuse "They stole our jobs!"

6 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Why does innocent Muslims being murdered illicit a response from you of pointing out innocent Christians being murdered? What point are you trying to make? 

Its a completely different situation.  Not in the least bit related to a White Nationalist mass shooting at a place of worship.  It is a pretty good example of weirdo, right-wing gotcha “journalism”.

https://www.newsweek.com/why-are-muslims-and-christians-clashing-nigeria-dozens-reported-dead-following-993421

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Yanno, just as an aside, consider the source here. If you even click the link the banner across the top of the page kinda sets the tone for where they are coming from, this is NOT a "news source" in any sense or definition of the word.

Just for example, when something like this "happens", Google it, see what sources are covering it. If you have some super-secret we-are-the-only-ones-with-the-truth website raving about it as clickbait, you might want to look elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

I'm not dismissing those killings in any way, but as @TryTheBeal!mentioned it's a completely different situation. Still awful, but different. And I generally don't go the "ignore something because of the source" route but The Gateway Pundit is basically another Breitbart. They run articles that are cherry picked and aimed at pushing a very specific narrative. 

8 hours ago, zskins said:

Except you will find people in a Mosque from all sorts of races and cultures around the globe, unless the shooter thought (in his twisted mind) that Muslim is a race from the Middle East and Islam is the culture. 

I think this is at least partially the issue. If you ever read far right rags like Breitbart, etc you'll see in comments that many of them don't even see Islam as a religion, but as a culture or movement. That essentially allows them to lump them all together regardless of actual ethnicity....and then say they all need to go.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Destino said:

Humans are tribal.  We’ll battle over just about any difference we can use to separate “us” from “them.”.  From economic systems all the way down to arbitrarily chosen physical attributes, which is all skin color (or race) really is.  Without religions you’d think there would be less to fight about, but I honestly believe we’d find something else to fill the void.  If we were all the same color and the same religion, I wouldn’t be surprised if short people started fighting tall people.

****ing Cowboys fans, I swear...

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Yanno, just as an aside, consider the source here. If you even click the link the banner across the top of the page kinda sets the tone for where they are coming from, this is NOT a "news source" in any sense or definition of the word.

I agree with this. while I don't know much about this site (beyond googling), I would say it's a site that definitely has a conservative agenda of bringing attention to conservative interest stories that seem to not be getting attention. i'm not against any website doing that, but it looks like they have been accused of spreading fake stories in the past, so i'd proceed with caution and look for corroborating sources, especially ones that aren't politically likeminded if possible. 

Just for example, when something like this "happens", Google it, see what sources are covering it. If you have some super-secret we-are-the-only-ones-with-the-truth website raving about it as clickbait, you might want to look elsewhere.

this is generally a good rule, but I will say that when I was looking into the story about the 101 acre buena vista terrorist training camp, the only sources I found were from fox, the clarion project and a local abc story. yet, for the life of me, as conspiracy theory sounding as it is, it seems legit. this seems to be an example of a story that may be politicized and it's therefore covered differently (or not covered) by differing news outlets. 

• Like 2

Absolutely grego, my point is that with all the hand-wringing and pearl clutching about FB and social media in general, in the end we have the responsibility for due diligence in what we choose to believe or echo. I'm as subject as that as anyone else, so I do try to remind myself regularly not to be played.

I frequently find stories on multiple sites played up differently. To me that says that A: Someone might be pushing an agenda, and/or B: They don't really know wtf they're talking about but it won't stop them from talking. 

I enjoy swimming around the web looking for info on new tech advances or discoveries, new takes on established ideas, etc., and an awful lot of that will pop up on one site, there really isn't any confirmation available, but it is still my responsibility for what I accept as fact, or just file as interesting awaiting further info.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, zskins said:

15 hours ago, Destino said:

• Thanks 1