Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

I am not disagreeing with that at all, but I think those truly sick people didn't need help to do this. I am talking about the people who don't think this stuff is a big deal because they have no idea what its like. Seeing a body get sprayed into pieces and seeing the look of fear on peoples faces may change things for those in the middle.

Kinda reinforcing your point, I will say... my personal views on whether guns have a place in society changed a lot after watching Alison Parker and her cameraman get gunned down on live TV. I watched the shooter's go-pro footage. The look on her face in the last moments of her life is burned into my memory. 

Further, there are dark places on the internet where future mass shooters probably watch this **** anyway. Of course, knowing that their act is going to get glorified by being broadcast all over existence is probably encouragement to these sick ****s. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Exactly. That "good guy with a gun" thing goes away when someone is spraying a semi-automatic at you and you don't have time to react.

Well if I'm in a position where my only option is fight and there is no flight option, I'd like to increase my chances by having my gun with me.

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Further, there are dark places on the internet where future mass shooters probably watch this **** anyway. Of course, knowing that their act is going to get glorified by being broadcast all over existence is probably encouragement to these sick ****s. 

I agree with this part.  This guy had a manifesto.  He didn't live stream this thing for people to NOT see it.  He wanted to make a statement and wanted the world to see.  That's why on twitter there were a bunch of people calling not to retweet it and not to watch it.

25 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree with this part.  This guy had a manifesto.  He didn't live stream this thing for people to NOT see it.  He wanted to make a statement and wanted the world to see.  That's why on twitter there were a bunch of people calling not to retweet it and not to watch it.

With mass shooters in general I agree with this, but this guy is a terrorist.  I don't see an awkward nerd mad at the world here.  I see a terrorist that planned this attack to further a political point he strongly believed in... and he's not the first.  Just because this isn't a unified group that meets in secret training camps, doesn't mean that there isn't a white national terrorist problem.  Terrorism doesn't go away just because people refuse to name the attacker or give them any attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Destino said:

With mass shooters in general I agree with this, but this guy is a terrorist.  I don't see an awkward nerd mad at the world here.  I see a terrorist that planned this attack to further a political point he strongly believed in... and he's not the first.  Just because this isn't a unified group that meets in secret training camps, doesn't mean that there isn't a white national terrorist problem.  Terrorism doesn't go away just because people refuse to name the attacker or give them any attention.

I understand where you're coming from, and yes he is a terrorist and there's certainly a white nationalist terrorist problem.  But, IMO, that still doesn't change the fact that he had a manifesto.  Still wanted to send a message.  Still wanted everyone to see it.  

You're right, terrorism doesn't go away because people refuse to name the attacker or give them any attention.  But awkward nerds who are mad at the world and want to take people out don't go away either.  And I know this is a naive take but part of me hopes that if they don't get attention that they'd go away.  Unfortunately these attacks are on the rise, I have to think part of it is due to the coverage they get. 

Terrorists want to strike fear in a group of people, that's a part of this that I think people forget when there's an amount of violence like this.  Fear and intimidation.  This guy not only wanted to take out a bunch of muslims but he also wants to intimidate them into not practicing their religion freely, out in the open.  He wants to make the ones that are still alive afraid to go out to a mosque.  And if they DO go out to a mosque, they can't pray in 100% peace because they're afraid.  Victory, in this ****sticks eyes, is not only a body count but making sure that body count disrupts muslims way of life.

And as I said, it's a naive take, but I don't know how you fight an ideology like this, I don't know how you make it go away.  But I think a step in the right direction could involve not giving people like this the attention they want.  Yes, this terrorist made his voice heard yesterday but I think not naming his name, not giving insight as to what was in his manifesto and not making other things public obviously doesn't 100% silence him, but it might help.

All of these events targeting minority groups are on the hands of the right wing politicians who have been drumming up hysteria against immigrants, people of color and those of other faiths. 

When you constantly label us invaders and something to be feared, don’t offer your ****ing sympathies when people take you at your word and decide to act out against said “invaders”. A logical end point of driving fear and hysteria against minority groups is that eventually they will be the target of violence, perpetuated by your followers and most hardcore adherents. This is right wing nativist politics working exactly like it’s meant to. 

Edited by No Excuses
  • Thanks 5

28 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Would you like me to regale you with some "good guy with a gun" stories?  Because they do exist.

I've found one where a guy killed a mass shooter after he killed everyone and was trying to escape. He didn't save anyone. I find it funny that you would rather take the chance of a good Samaritan with a gun than actually pass some legislation to keep these highly powerful guns out of the hands of whackjob terrorists.

5 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I've found one where a guy killed a mass shooter after he killed everyone and was trying to escape. He didn't save anyone. I find it funny that you would rather take the chance of a good Samaritan with a gun than actually pass some legislation to keep these highly powerful guns out of the hands of whackjob terrorists.

I'm not sure I buy gun control as a means of stopping terrorism.  The argument for gun control is much stronger in relation to general gun violence (which kills more people that terrorism). 

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

I'm not sure I buy gun control as a means of stopping terrorism.  The argument for gun control is much stronger in relation to general gun violence (which kills more people that terrorism). 

Only reason I agree with this is because of the refusal to classify white nationalist inspired mass shootings as terrorism.  A system better designed for finding red flags will help with this, regardless of how people want to classify it.

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Only reason I agree with this is because of the refusal to classify white nationalist inspired mass shootings as terrorism.  A system better designed for finding red flags will help with this, regardless of how people want to classify it.

Yeah our government says we can’t study things like that...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I remember one when a black security officer stopped a mass-shooter to be after he had killed only a couple people.  Only to be almost immediately killed by police officers, who incorrectly assumed he was the bad guy...So definitely that nice guy with a gun narrative doesnt work for black people.   

3 minutes ago, Koala said:

I remember one when a black security officer stopped a mass-shooter to be after he had killed only a couple people.  Only to be almost immediately killed by police officers, who incorrectly assumed he was the bad guy...So definitely that nice guy with a gun narrative doesnt work for black people.   

It did work for any lives he saved.

• Like 1