Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

Just now, MartinC said:

I doubt that would even move the needle. 

If twenty 6 and 7 year old kids being murdered in their classroom did not make people take action nothing is going to.

You may be right.  It saddens me when I think of the people that believe Sandy Hook was made up.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Steve Scalise was shot and almost killed just last year. 

I don’t think it would matter who gets shot at this point. 

Oh it absolutely does matter who gets shot.

If it’s black people by a white supremacist the reaction is one way from the Right.

If it’s a white Liberal who shoots a white male politician then the response is entirely different.

Why?

Because they are stupid. It’s the same exact crime and yet they see them completely differently because one is a sick man, and the other is the culumulative effect of Liberalism. One they can ignore, the other they arm themselves against.

• Like 1

Hockey pucks: They're small and heavy and — one Michigan college thinks — may be the perfect weapon against an active shooter on campus.

Oakland University, a public school in Rochester Hills, near Detroit, is distributing thousands of 94-cent hockey pucks for just that reason.

http://www.michiganradio.org/post/defense-against-active-shooters-university-hands-out-hockey-pucks

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

I want to laugh and dismiss this but the premise of many of my arguments supporting other ideas has been “our leaders are doing nothing, so the rest of us need to do something”

so I guess I’ll just accept it and wish them good luck. Better than nothing I suppose. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A Couple Obsessed With Mass Shootings Was Charged With Plotting A Massacre At A Bar

An Ohio couple obsessed with mass shootings — traveling to Columbine High School and corresponding with the Charleston church shooter — were indicted in federal court Thursday for conspiring to use explosives and firearms to launch a massacre to kill and injure others.

Elizabeth "Bee" Lecron, 23, and Vincent Armstrong, 23, were arrested in December after an unnamed tipster contacted Toledo police on June 11 and said Lecron "had recently expressed a desire to conduct a violent attack and was in possession of multiple firearms and the beginning elements of a pipe bomb."

An FBI agent testified that, in posts dating back months, Lecron posted "voluminous" photographs and comments glorifying mass murderers on her Tumblr account, titled Ligature Markings. Her posts particularly celebrated Dylann Roof, who killed nine people in a Charleston, South Carolina, church in 2015, and the Columbine High School shooters.

In July, Lecron wrote a letter to Roof in prison introducing herself and asking him for any book recommendations. He replied shortly after and asked her to mail him books about civil uprisings and the Nazis.

"According to the Bureau of Prisons, Roof has only responded to four individuals, including Lecron, during the course of his incarceration," the affidavit stated.

On Oct. 17, Lecron replied and sent him a book about a Belgian who fought for the Nazis. "I've been thinking about you a lot and decided to send you books every 2 weeks," she wrote. "Stay strong, Storm. You have a lot of people that care for you beyond those walls."

The tipster also directed police to Lecron's Tumblr page as evidence of her fixation on mass murder and said that Lecron wrote in her diary that she was planning a mass attack.

Toledo police referred the case to the Joint Terrorism Task Force and the FBI, who began to monitor the couple's social media accounts.

In August, Lecron and Armstrong traveled to Columbine, Colorado, for a pilgrimage of sorts to honor the school shooters. "We're gonna try to hit Rampart Range, the memorial, the gas station, the bowling alley and such. It's gonna be a lot of fun and I can't wait to post pictures," she wrote on her Tumblr before the trip.

On Aug. 18, one day after the couple left for Colorado, a federal judge authorized a search warrant for the home they shared.

US Attorney for the Northern District of Ohio Justin Herdman said in a statement Thursday that "law enforcement found an AK-47, shotgun, multiple handguns, ammunition and end caps purchased by Armstrong, which can be used in the manufacture of pipe bombs."

Authorities also found journal entries by Lecron and Armstrong discussing a violent attack. "On June 8, Armstrong wrote: 'Now I have these thoughts…These memories. They haunt me. I have a vision. A vision to kill. To hunt the unwilling...'"

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China

Florida stripper arrested for threatening mass shooting after admitting urge to kill, wanting to buy an AR-15 and having a 'vision' of a single-exit 'bar/club on a busy night' on social media

A Florida stripper was arrested and charged for threatening a mass shooting after she posted about her plans on social media. 

Brien Basarich, 31, of Polk County, Florida, was arrested January 2 on a charge of written threat to kill or injure, according to Polk County online jail records. 

Authorities said Basarich posted about her desire to kill people under her tumblr account username, 'taking-lives,' WFLA reported.   

'I had a vision... of a very public place, only one way in and one way out. Preferably a bar/club on a busy night,' Basarich allegedly posted on tumblr. '2019 has a lot in store if my plans go according! [sic]' 

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine told me his sisters school had a kid threaten to shoot it up a few weeks ago, and all they did was put him in ISS.

Boggled my mind. No true suspension, no expulsion/mandated evaluation, no letter sent home. When will people take these things deadly serious? I don't care if the kid was even joking.  It's not funny anymore.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

A friend of mine told me his sisters school had a kid threaten to shoot it up a few weeks ago, and all they did was put him in ISS.

Boggled my mind. No true suspension, no expulsion/mandated evaluation, no letter sent home. When will people take these things deadly serious? I don't care if the kid was even joking.  It's not funny anymore.

Granted, it's just my opinion, but I'd bet that for every mass shooter who said something kinda threatening, there's at least 100 (and I'd bet it's over 1,000) people who made a similar threat, and didn't do anything. 

It's one one of the problems I see when people respond to mass shootings with "why didn't the cops take away this person's guns?" (Or some similar preemptive remedy. I'm not sure that a policy of taking away guns from people who express such thoughts isn't a net good for society. But I think people who make such calls need to recognize that the "false positives" will vastly outnumber the actuall number of shootings prevented. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

Granted, it's just my opinion, but I'd bet that for every mass shooter who said something kinda threatening, there's at least 100 (and I'd bet it's over 1,000) people who made a similar threat, and didn't do anything. 

It's one one of the problems I see when people respond to mass shootings with "why didn't the cops take away this person's guns?" (Or some similar preemptive remedy. I'm not sure that a policy of taking away guns from people who express such thoughts isn't a net good for society. But I think people who make such calls need to recognize that the "false positives" will vastly outnumber the actuall number of shootings prevented. 

Sorry, can’t get behind this thought at all. Something needs to be done, NOW. 

Our society is the only one where this occurs in such frequency. Just as you can’t yell “FIRE” in a crowded building, can’t even joke about bombing an airplane, or killing the POTUS (even if it is justified), making remarks such as you’d “like to kill a bunch of people”, or “I’d like to mow down my school”, should be met with an appropriate reaction. You state that, or post something like that, you immediately relinquish any right to own firearms, and you go on a national “watchlist” database. We, as a country, have dragged our feet far too long in addressing this epidemic, and things only seem to be getting worse.

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Sorry, can’t get behind this thought at all. Something needs to be done, NOW. 

Our society is the only one where this occurs in such frequency. Just as you can’t yell “FIRE” in a crowded building, can’t even joke about bombing an airplane, or killing the POTUS (even if it is justified), making remarks such as you’d “like to kill a bunch of people”, or “I’d like to mow down my school”, should be met with an appropriate reaction. You state that, or post something like that, you immediately relinquish any right to own firearms, and you go on a national “watchlist” database. We, as a country, have dragged our feet far too long in addressing this epidemic, and things only seem to be getting worse.

How many witnesses to it would be needed?

Would you need to prove the account wasn't hacked or would that be on the accused?

Larry is right, this is for the other thread.