Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Raiders Post Game Assessments

Burgold

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Best game I've ever been too.

i need a cigarette and I don't even smoke 

Seriously, I had too much fun. Grilling at my buddy's house in Ashburn in his parking lot right now talking about the game. FedEx was rocking, what a fun day man. 

Walter Football on Doctson:

I'd say, from one magnificent catch, quite accurate. Those are plays that accurate hands alone won't make.   There's catching and there's robbery.  That was robbery.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Coaching: This is the second game where I felt like our coaches out coached the other guys coach. Gruden and Manusky were both great. Manusky especially never let his foot off the gas. He didn't go super soft with the lead like his predecessors always did. Gruden may eventually have to change up the predictable first down run, but really did a good job creating mismatches against a team that's supposed to go deep into the playoffs.

Overall A

Gruden might be playing the long game on some of those runs.  Setting it up to tendency break in a future game;)  This game was well in hand and the team kept converting 3rd and longs:rofl89:

2 hours ago, TheCoach22 said:

For a good laugh, see the Raiders' forum gameday thread,

lol that was tasty...

saw one of their fans comments about their "$125 million QB" and I swear it had to have been cut n' pasted from our Kirk thread here...

"Yep.Still no pocket presence,doesn't go through his reads and won't use the middle of the field because he's afraid of any middle pressure in his face.Take away the outside and the fades(staple of our offence).....O-line has to be ballin or he gets exposed big time."

I have been pretty annoing about this lack of energy. Lot of times I feel like we just don't have it. 

This game had it. The D was just flat out amazing. The energy that was crazy. The crowd got into it, players where just feeling it. I have no idea what Greg Manusky did, because the gameplan was pretty straight forward. No fancy stuff just straight out, beat your man up. 

Part of the game when it was 21-0 and we had, sack - 5 yard run Lynch ended by hit Swearinger - sack, was just the best thing ever. 

This was just great allround game. D played lights out. O-line was just balling. Coach Jay was making good calls. Kirk was accurate. Thompson is just breaking ankles. 'Applause'

6 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Man, I watched this game with my 7 year old son (he's a die hard, bedtime was revoked) on his Birthday tonight. I had to tell him he was treated to a special game, something I haven't seen since myself in DECADES. Fun to watch, even if they wanted us to sweat just a little.

But seriously, that D is cool because it's pretty much one draft pick after another. Tonight was hopefully a redemption of years of building. Kerrigan, Smith, Breeland, Allen, Anderson, Fuller, Nicholson, Ionadis, Spaight, and more. 

Don't look now, but Skins just made some noise in the league. DOMINANT PERFORMANCE, HATS OFF TO ENTIRE TEAM

Please make sure your son watches every game from now on ?

Outstanding night for the defense,,  great pressure using mostly just 4 guys.. i didn't see too much blitzing.

Considering the Raiders OL reputation, a great great night. 

Pass coverage= OUTSTANDING..  Breeland is playing lockdown, Norman is playing lockdown, and Swearinger's presence caused two early drops last night.

Raiders WRs were invisible. Nicholson had a great game.

Raiders TE..  invisible..  usually to compensate for the pass rush the Qb can find his outlet TE, and USUALLY the Redskins are awful at covering the TE and give up big massive plays that crush them..  not last night. Nowhere for Carr to throw, and no time for him to do it. 

Jonathan Allen was crushing the pocket.

Beast Mode Shmeast Mode. They whipped his dancin' ass. He runs violently and last night he was met with more violence than he could dish out. Preston Smith yanking him down with his arms was not only a great play to shed the block, AND take down one of the league's strongest backs... but a message to the entire NFL, and that message was "**** Skittle Boy". How often do you see Lynch tackled by one guy? Hardly ever. A very impressive play.

Speaking of Smith,,  man, has he turned it on. He is causing a ruckus. 3rd year,, lights are on.

Zach Brown, step up for a new contract. He flies and hits with major impact. He's an outstanding player and he's landed in our laps. Best not **** this one up Brucie.

~Bang

I am sorry. So, Sorry.

This game caught me as well as everyone else totally off guard.

I've made mention quite a few times in the past of the 1991 Redskins vs Eagles game, a Monday Night one, where the Redskins held the Eagles to under 100 yds of total offense. I've still got it on beta [ lol ] somewhere. This game mirrored it in so many ways. Absolute domination at LOS on both sides of the ball, it was unbelievable.

Hands down, no doubt about it, this game ball goes to Manusky and the defense. they had a mission, they were focused, no single player tried being a hero, every single one of them did their job, therefore they played an almost prefect game, by far the biggest defensive shutdown in the NFL this year by any team. I can't wait to listen to sports radio this morning, this game should be the talk of the air waves.

Don't let that performance just come and go without some serious consideration as to the accomplishment they for all intended purposes, had in the bag until the last drive of the game by the Raiders, which bailed them out of a category no team wants to be labeled in; futility'.

There is no game the Redskins have played in the last 20 years that match up to the intensity and level of performance that comes to mind, so I am damn proud, and for it to be a PRIMETIME game, showed me this team is ready to, no, they HAVE, stepped out of the category of primetime chokers. I just didn't expect to see them step from there directly into badass category in 1 game.

Overall, I am more than pleased. Yes, there were a few hiccups that cost us some points and possessions, but they handled it very well. I cannot say that this is the level I'd expect to see them play week after week, but it would be nice to steamroll the league. It is impossible to see any team play at this level for an entire season, but at least now we know we will be getting tons of respect from the league now, no longer will we be considered meandering in mediocrity.

Reading over the PFF summary of their grades for the game has me concluding that their charting and grading are suspect.  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-washington-redskins-27-oakland-raiders-10

Saying things like Kirk was only pressured 6 times all night when he was HIT 6 times and that Nicholson was only targeted once in coverage when I can remember off hand that he made at least two plays on the ball as the island deep safety--the INT and the play where he nailed the receiver on the overthrown ball.

I don't think PFF is rigorous or consistent and I think they count on no one else charting games and writing about it to pass off their analysis as accurate.  Nor do I think they do a good job of evaluating line play.

I would never pay for their service.  Their work may be good enough for message board fans to chew on, but I wish commentators would stop citing their work on NFL broadcasts.

Saturday morning I got great medical news, probably life saving news.  Then Sunday I watched our team do something very few of us thought was possible.  Suddenly Monday morning does not seem so bad.

They showed up in prime time and laid the wood to a good team. They lite up a great OL with constant pressure and pitched a shutout on third down.  Kirk showed why you have to sign him, that was not the first time he has played great.  3rd and long seemed to not matter, their passing game was tremendous.

Game balls to Chris Thomas, Kirk, Kerrigan, Brown and Preston Smith.  Seeing Jonathan Allen apply an inside pass rush and Josh Doctson make a play like that was the best possible news.

Offense A-

Jay committed to the run. Perine had tough sledding up the gut through no fault of his own. A shout out to him for next man up and doing his best at softening up the D. But it was CT's night. Yay us we have one of those scat backs that seem to be taking over the league. The difference this year is the creative play calling to CT and giving him some OL.  I love seeing OL way down field. LOL at Collingsworth on Long's moment of glory and probably seeing himself on the telescreen. Jay is using the OL's mobility and the OL seem to thrive in space at speed vs anchoring.

We get a minus because Perine didn't break one and his fumble.

Defense  A-

I cannot recall seeing much subbing on the DL. It was mostly Allen Kerrigan 3TFL Matt Junior and the monster Preston Smith.  I cannot recall seeing Mc* nor Hood for a single snap. I would like to see snap counts. We got early pressure on Carr who was rattled. He couldn't even call timeouts, the refs ignoring him trying to put him out of his misery.

We get a minus because we allowed more than 100 yards.

Teams D

Maybe Jay needs to make changes there. We are spared an F because we were trying to get after Ray Guy. When a punter is their best player, try and block his monster kicks.

Crowder needs to stop hopping off the ground when he catches punts.  

Perine didnt do a whole lot to say he should be the #1 back.

I really am hoping that this was a confidence builder.  Manusky really seems to be able to reach guys.

Non-Skins related, but related to the game, Derek Carr seemed checked out.  Like he didnt wanna be there.  Just his expression. If Cutler was walking around looking like Carr did, he'd never hear the end of it. 

13 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I have no dea what was up with Carr. That first pick had Jay Cutler written all over it, just hung it up into coverage.

Carr probably saw film of the Eagles' game and saw Wentz do just that and how badly it shook the 'skins. Difference was Nicholson had enough speed to close on the ball and get it. Otherwise, it was going to be caught. It's been a long time, since we had a safety come up and make a play like that. I really think that was more of a great play on Nicholson's part (remember reports had him injured too) than it was a bad one on Carr's.

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If you had to give a defensive game ball, who does it go to? 

I could put together a compelling arguement for Preston Smith, Jon Allen, Nicholson, Bree, Norman or Swearinger. 

Thoughts? 

Edit: I forgot to mention Brown.

I would give it to Nicholson.  I saw great safety play for the first time in 10 years!  It was very strange and exhilarating to see!

Archived