Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Raiders Post Game Assessments

Burgold

29 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, my post was meant to add to your post. I liked your post. I think Swearinger's leadership allowed the coaches to feel comfortable enough to risk being flexible and put out a guy like Spaight who last year looked completely lost on the field.

The FO should also get credit for signing Swearinger and Brown.  Those were 2 HUGE pickups.

Here's the breakdown of the starting defense: {B} designates backup

DL:

Hood

Allen (Rookie)

Ionitis

McGee (FA)

{B}McClain (FA)

Been here: Hood and Ionitis were here, both are playing better than they did last year. Ionitis is competing for "Most Improved Player".  It's clear that Tomsula is having an effect. 

New Adds: McGee is better than Baker, and Allen has more talent than anybody on the DL.  Upgrades in personnel.

OLB:

Preston Smith

Kerrigan

{B} Gallette

Ryan Anderson (Rookie)

Been here: Everybody but Ryan Anderson.  Preston Smith is competing for "Most Improved Player".  Gallette is at least out there, which is good.  

New Adds: The only one of note is Ryan Anderson, who's still working his way into the lineup.

ILB: 

Foster

Brown (FA)

{B} Compton

{B} Spaight

Vets: Foster looks like a new player when not playing next to Compton.  Spaight is coming along.  

New Adds: Only Brown.  And he's been a HUGE add.  Brings speed and toughness to the middle.  

Safety:

Swearinger (FA)

Everette

Nicholson (Rookie)

{B} McClure (FA)

Been Here: Everette is the only one of this group that was here last year.  He's making strides, but...

New Adds: Swearinger is clearly the biggest bickup here.  Nicholson is playing out of his mind, and contributing, and taking snaps away from Everette.  

DB: 

Norman

Bree

Fuller

{B}Dunbar

{B}Moreau (Rookie)

{B}Holsey(Rookie)

Been here: Bree is playing out of his mind.  Norman is a pro-bowler.  Fuller is so much better in his second year. 

New Adds: 2 Rookies to fill out the rotation.  

So, in summary, the FO brought in guys that are just better than the guys that they replaced.  There are really 4 new impact starters from outside the organization: Jon Allen, McGee, Brown, Swearinger.  There are a number who have really improved: Ionitis, Preston Smith, Fuler, Breeland.   

This is how you build a defense.  You sign good guys, and get the guys who were here to play better.

This could be a top 5 defense in the league by the end of the year, given health.  

And I don't want to year any fool try and tell me Baker was worth keeping.  Take that weak *** elsewhere. :P  

14 hours ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

Swearinger needs some credit also, big hit on Lynch put the Raiders on notice 

Reminded me of another #36 for a moment.

Been a long time since we've seen a safety use Newtonian force to abruptly stop the forward motion (aka laying the smackdown) of a physical runner like Lynch.

You could pretty much see after that hit, Lynch was like "Yup, no mas, see y'all later"

I cried tears of joy. Haven't seen D like that since I was a teenager

30 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Skins led with their defense and everything, minus the turnovers, fed off of that.  Refreshing to hear on the telecast that Manusky didn't have a scheme, but just lined up his guys against theirs and beat them to the ball

First time since early 2008 that I saw such crisp, consistent tackling. I think we only had a handful of missed tackles the whole game and only one was not cleaned up quickly. How many times have we seen a 3 and long picked up when the QB threw a dump pass just 3-4 yards beyond the LOS or a QB scramble?  In 2015, several of the longer runs came after we missed the tackle in the backfield. Had we tackled this well in game 1, Philly would have been down 17-9 when we got the ball the second to last time.

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Reminded me of another #36 for a moment.

Been a long time since we've seen a safety use Newtonian force to abruptly stop the forward motion (aka laying the smackdown) of a physical runner like Lynch.

You could pretty much see after that hit, Lynch was like "Yup, no mas, see y'all later"

I cried tears of joy. Haven't seen D like that since I was a teenager

If Lynch is doling the hits, he does well.  He doesn't take hits well.  Never has.  The problem is, he's a hard guy TO hit because he's the one initiating the contact.  

But if you can lay him out, he looses interest quickly.  

Love the next Man-up-sky mentality of the team.  Foster can't play, so Compton/Spaight step in to do a fine job.  Cravens out, Nicholson/Everett in, and there's actually an improvement.  We're gang tackling. This all shows me that our team is working together; that we've got everyone on the same page.  What did George Allen use to say about teams that play together?  I'm optimistic.

Another great play that just wasn't made much last year. QB passes to an open receiver. Receiver bobbles it momentarily, but clearly will bring it in... except a defender enters the scene and jars him away from the ball negating a long completion and first down. Last year, the guy would be open and maybe he'd be tracked down after he secured the ball, made an impossible catch, and got some YAC. This year, at least three times in this game alone that pass was defended and that doesn't even count the interceptions.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Manusky is not a "safe" guy.  He's got the eye of a tiger, and he wants speed and athletic ability out there so he can be aggressive.  So they played Spaight, and it worked out wonderfully.

I don't think there's enough talent on that side of the ball to play it safe simply because there are still some weak links.  We still constantly get exposed in that soft spot in the middle of the field by TEs. It's no coincidence that Oakland rarely uses theirs and they got nothing going.

I just skimmed thru the silverandblackpride game threads and got a good laugh. 

-They hate Amerson. 

-They were terrified of Zach Brown and hate that they didn't sign him when they brought him in for a visit.

-"We're not ready for the lights" was a common opinion. I never thought of the Raiders like that.

-Many thought Cousins was good/great even before the beatdown was underway.

-They have a confidence as a fanbase that we don't have (but one that we may have if this keeps up). Even when they were losing and doing nothing, there was plenty of optimism that they'd turn it around.

-Giving up the 1st down on 3rd & 19 was good entertainment. 

-Plenty of good jokes about how they should have stayed in the locker room for the whole game, not just the anthem. Was surprised how many of the SoCal fans hated the anthem rebellion.

It's obviously more fun to read thru, but that's the jist of it.

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I've defended Kirk repeatedly and I'm fine with paying him pretty much whatever.  

However, I thought Cousins played worse against the Eagles than Carr did last night.  Coaching and defensive talent destroyed Carr's game.  While Cousins had supporting cast issues, his mechanics looked really poor and his accuracy suffered because of it.  So, not apples to apples IMO, though you're right about his agent likely using this example.  

I suspect you are being more critical of Kirk because he is your QB and it was a terribly disappointing loss.  But the numbers really aren't close, Carr was totally lost last night and was horrible.  Both had no running game and faced similar pressure, both had drops by receivers. 

Kirk vs Philly:

23/40/240 1 TD 1 Pick  QBR:  34.8  Rating 72.9

Carr vs Washington

19/31/118  1 TD  2 Picks  QBR:  3.5  Rating 52.9

Found these few stats to be staggering....

The Redskins outgained the Raiders, 472-128. Washington’s 344-yard differential was its largest in regular season play since a 385-yard advantage against the Chicago Bears on Dec. 15, 1974, a span of 660 regular season games prior to Sunday.

As of the conclusion of Sunday’s Week 3 contests, the 128 net yards allowed by the Redskins are the fewest allowed by any NFL team in a game this season.

Tackle Trent Williams played his 100th career regular season game.

4 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Said this two weeks ago saying it again - need to bring up Harris from the Practice Squad to field punts.

I was thinking the same thing, but it won't happen. Gruden was firm about that in the post-game presser. This is one of those situations where you have to scratch your head at the stubbornness. But, today surely isn't the day to criticize coaching decisions.

Crowder has been a very good returner in recent years. I don't know if he's  having problems because he has too much on his plate as a starting receiver or if his concentration is just a bit off. I think he'll be just fine. He's just got to get his head back in the return game.

I'm not sure who you cut if you bring Harris up. Harris also didn't impress at all as a returner in preseason.

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Crowder has been a very good returner in recent years. I don't know if he's  having problems because he has too much on his plate as a starting receiver or if his concentration is just a bit off. I think he'll be just fine. He's just got to get his head back in the return game.

I'm not sure who you cut if you bring Harris up. Harris also didn't impress at all as a returner in preseason.

Quick would be the odd man out. Go back and watch the 4th preseason game, Harris looked very good. He may not have gamebreaking speed, but he looked like a complete natural judging/positioning/fielding the punts and heading north. 

Crowder has been good, but it's just like DJax, I don't want a vital piece of our offense fielding punts. 

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I suspect you are being more critical of Kirk because he is your QB and it was a terribly disappointing loss.  But the numbers really aren't close, Carr was totally lost last night and was horrible.  Both had no running game and faced similar pressure, both had drops by receivers. 

Kirk vs Philly:

23/40/240 1 TD 1 Pick  QBR:  34.8  Rating 72.9

Carr vs Washington

19/31/118  1 TD  2 Picks  QBR:  3.5  Rating 52.9

I hear ya', but...  

I wasn't basing my opinion on the statistics (which obviously favor Kirk).  Yes, both faced pressure and both had some drops by receivers.  

Carr to me looked like he didn't know where to go with the ball because the defense took (almost) everything away.   Kirk's problem looked different to me.... he was inaccurate.  He missed (not overlooked) throws to open receivers.  At times it was due to pressure in his face, but at other times he simply let his footwork go by the wayside and it caused numerous poorly thrown balls.  I'd argue the Eagle's defense didn't shut down our receivers, but our defense absolutely shut down the Raiders receivers.  Part of that falls on coaching, and part is talent in the secondary (I think our secondary is superior to the Eagles'... maybe by a wide margin).  

Cousins had plenty of opportunities to capitalize vs the Eagles but couldn't.  Carr went up against a defense that allowed almost nothing positive - he didn't just miss a bunch of throws.  

I'm not throwing Kirk to the wolves, he had a bad game, but I wasn't mad at him for it... I just wanted him to clean up his accuracy (and was certain he would), and he did.  

Of course, part of the problem with this conversation is that my side of this argument is made in context of my previous statements about Kirk.  I can't expect someone just seeing this (and my previous post) to appreciate that context.  That context includes my unwavering support for Kirk, recognizing mitigating factors for his poorer outings and more, and that context allows me to be honest with myself when judging poor performances by Cousins.  crap, that last line sounds trite... oh well

Anyway, I don't think my judgement here involves bias because Kirk is my team's qb, but I will acknowledge that perhaps my memory is incorrect and that Carr played worse than Kirk.  

Edit:  @Burgold, @nonniey

Brian Mitchell mad an interesting point that since Crowder didn't really play much in preseason, these first few games are his first attempts in live action.  Saw no reason he wouldn't have it cleaned up.  As you said Burgold, Crowder has been a dynamic returner for us.  The two muffs are concerning, but he's earned the right to continue (for now).  

@Voice_of_Reason I'm not sure I'd call guys like McClain, Anderson and Galette backups.  They're starters in our base D.  Same with Everett vs Nicholson and Fuller vs... uh... whoever (a Dlineman, I presume?).  

Archived