Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Raiders Post Game Assessments

Burgold

27 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Oh and "Did DJ break Beastmode?

I know the mods would slap me and it's not worth it's own thread, but that title would look so cool being atop the ES stadium! :P  That hit was awesome! The crowd reaction.. Chills!! What a night!! :)

This was actually always the book on Lynch.  If you let him hit you, he was a complete beast.  If you put really good hits on him and took him to the ground early, he'd lose interest and disappear.  

It occurred to me watching the game last night that I was actually having fun watching us play again.  I haven't felt like that watching a Redskins team in a long long long time.  We were imposing our will.  It was a fundamentally different experience I haven't felt since the glory years. Who knows were it will ultimately lead, but it felt amazing to dominate...again.  I had nearly forgotten what that felt like.  THAT tasted delicious and I want some more. Hail

I agree with you all about this D.  Man I can't help think what a huge difference Manusky, Tomsula, Gray have made.  I mean looking for example at our secondary, they are not "soft" anymore, they don't give cushions for an easy 1st down pickup.  The DL is starting to come together.  Ioannidis OMG he simply is a stud, who would have guessed that last year?  Allen will only get better.

Bottom line many of us were question should we go 3-4 or 4-3 etc.  Doesn't' matter when you are well coached and got play makers I guess.

and oh btw the guy that said he has not since a D like this since Gibbs 2.0, wrong.  I don't think any D during Gibbs go around kept an offense to a total of 95 yards. And we are not talking about any Offense here either.  We are talking about perhaps the best Offense in the league before last night.

Sacks and consistent pressure with just a 4-man rush.........sweet lord, I halfway expected to see the camera flash to Petitbon standing on the sidelines with 317 cords and wires stretching all over everywhere.

The offense was efficient (Cousins looked great last night, and made good decisions), but I was most impressed by how tenacious that defense was. Man, I miss that!

Still in a bit of shock honestly.  That was the most dominant performance Ive seen by a Skins team (especially defensively) since the early 90s.  The fact that the Raiders came in as the highest scoring team in the league just makes what happened that much more special.  The Raiders could do NOTHING.  It looked like a complete mismatch.  I don't know what happened to this defense but they looked nothing like the defense from a year ago.  This should have been 50-0 as many have said.  Unless you watched this game one could not understand the beating the Skins dished out.  It was remarkable.  

It is a great day to be a Skins fan!!

The challenge now will be to move on from this game.  The team has to stay humble and get ready for a Chiefs team that is solid.  This win will be tainted if they come out flat against KC.

EDIT- This thread is a like-machine. It's like clockwork: read post, smile, click like, repeat.

Mannnn the D was so good that I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that we were stealing their radio signal.

-I echo everyone about the ILB improvement being a key component in this improvement. By benching Compton and upgrading with Zach Brown we went from camp fodder to pro bowler; can't upgrade much better than that. 

-You better believe WRs know about Swearinger&Nicholson. At least Crabtree does. 

-Each player on "the best OL in the league" was straight up dominated by our DL

-The future is bright for Moreau at CB, but in the mean time WOW is he shining at gunner on punts.

-Chris Thompson, good god. He has that scary combination of burst and vision.

Loved Norman's rant after the game. There is a serious attitude/confidence that these guys are playing with. We're seeing all of the pieces to this puzzle coming together and it's forming something special. 

I was at the game, what an experience! The extremeskins tailgate was cool as hell. Great food, great people, my dad and my girl both had an awesome time. WE BEAT THE FREAKING RAIDERS!!!!!

I was most impressed by DJ Swearinger. That dude has brought such a fire to our defense! Hit on marshawn aside, watching him lead that goal line defense after the Perine fumble was nothing short of awesome. He was running around the endzone coordinating guys, making sure everyone had their man...literally tugging on people's shoulders if they were lined up wrong or had the wrong person, it was hands on, firey leadership that I haven't seen in our secondary for a long, long time. Makes me feel SO positive about the future.

Watching Norman's on field interview after the game was so much FUN too. You could tell he was so fired up and having the time of his life, I LOVED it. What a defensive beastly performance, my god.

An aside.. I've only been to 5 games at Fedex since getting out of the military during the summer of 2016, and we've won everytime I've gone, so maybe I should go to more, LOL. What a fun experience. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS BABYYYYY!!!

I posted earlier but wow what a game. I was there and I have never had that much fun at Fedex field. Fred Smoot just casually walked to our tailgate and hungout for a while, all around awesome vibes last night. I was impressed with Vernon Davis, I didn't even think of Reed the whole game. Chris Thompson is just a star, no other way to put it. We dominated those fools. 

1 hour ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

It occurred to me watching the game last night that I was actually having fun watching us play again.  I haven't felt like that watching a Redskins team in a long long long time.  We were imposing our will.  It was a fundamentally different experience I haven't felt since the glory years. Who knows were it will ultimately lead, but it felt amazing to dominate...again.  I had nearly forgotten what that felt like.  THAT tasted delicious and I want some more. Hail

I feel the exact same way. Last week as Kirk was driving us down for the go ahead TD I was in the kitchen and joked to my wife that in years past I would be pacing back and forth.  It was just not the same anymore.  And last night I watched the first half fairly calmly, I just don't get that excited anymore as the Redskins have worn me down. But when they made plays in the 2nd half I woke the dog with my screams just like old times! 

The Redskins remain an interesting, confounding team.

Performances like last night are rare in this league.   There was no way that team, playing that way, isn't a legitimate contender for best team in football.

At the same time, that same team beat itself against Philly, for the most part, and looked ragged against the Rams.   As a Skins fan the talent the team appears to have is evident on paper but the paper talent never seems to reveal itself.   Last night there was an unveiling.   And it was exciting.   This team has a great offensive line (notwithstanding two games in which it was not at all great), a solid QB (notwithstanding two games in which he was not that solid), a decent running game, great overall weapons, a stout defensive line, the ability to generate pressure and a strong secondary which may even appear to have four good players in it at each position for the first time in a long while.

So this team, on the field last night, is as good as there is in this league.

As such, I will say, it matters not.   We go to KC and will be heavy underdogs.   If we win or put up a hell of a good fight in a tough road loss I'll think this team is starting to play on the field as the paper team appears to be built.   If we lay an egg, well, that's just kind of what we do on our way to 7-9 to 9-7. 

1 hour ago, Idaho fan said:

Still in a bit of shock honestly.  That was the most dominant performance Ive seen by a Skins team (especially defensively) since the early 90s.  The fact that the Raiders came in as the highest scoring team in the league just makes what happened that much more special.  The Raiders could do NOTHING.  It looked like a complete mismatch.  I don't know what happened to this defense but they looked nothing like the defense from a year ago.  This should have been 50-0 as many have said.  Unless you watched this game one could not understand the beating the Skins dished out.  It was remarkable.  

It is a great day to be a Skins fan!!

The challenge now will be to move on from this game.  The team has to stay humble and get ready for a Chiefs team that is solid.  This win will be tainted if they come out flat against KC.

I am hoping this will be THE defining moment for our next 10 years.   The moment the Redskins, became the REDSKINS again and this momentum carries over for the remainder of this season and beyond.  I am hoping this finally shores up the business side and we get a contract done for Cousins.   This could be the biggest single change we needed in our history, and I'm hoping I am not having wishful thinking here.  HAIL!  

I'm thinking his agent could use this head to head comparison between Carr and Cousins to get a deal higher than the one the Raiders did with their QB.  It also tells fans not to run a good QB out of town after a few sub par games.  Carr was way worse than Cousins was in weeks 1 and 2 and Raiders fans are not ready to give up on him. 

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm thinking his agent could use this head to head comparison between Carr and Cousins to get a deal higher than the one the Raiders did with their QB.  It also tells fans not to run a good QB out of town after a few sub par games.  Carr was way worse than Cousins was in weeks 1 and 2 and Raiders fans are not ready to give up on him. 

I've defended Kirk repeatedly and I'm fine with paying him pretty much whatever.  

However, I thought Cousins played worse against the Eagles than Carr did last night.  Coaching and defensive talent destroyed Carr's game.  While Cousins had supporting cast issues, his mechanics looked really poor and his accuracy suffered because of it.  So, not apples to apples IMO, though you're right about his agent likely using this example.  

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think Spaight played well.  It's interesting that they went with him over Compton.  I am willing to bet in years past they would have put the "coach on the field" out there to minimize the loss of a starter.  This year they put the more physically talented guy out there. That's a risk, because if he runs the wrong way, you've got a problem.  However, Spaight was where he was supposed to be, and the added athleticism helped tremendously.  

If we didn't have Zack Brown out there then I'm sure Compton would have been based on that "coach in the field" assessment. Brown is by far the best ILB we've had since Fletcher and that includes Perry Riley Jr !! ?

57 minutes ago, Art said:

The Redskins remain an interesting, confounding team.

Always good to see @Art come into a thread dropping knowledge.  

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If we didn't have Zack Brown out there then I'm sure Compton would have been based on that "coach in the field" assessment. Brown is by far the best ILB we've had since Fletcher and that includes Perry Riley Jr !! ?

Yeah, there was a lot of talk about Compton being the replacement instead of Spaight.  Which would have been the "safe" play because coaches know what they're going to get with Compton.  Spaight is a bit more of a risk.  So, putting him out there with Brown, you don't lose much athleticism.  

I'm just really confident that every DC we've had since Gregg Williams left would have gone the conservative route and played Compton and Brown, counting on Brown's speed and Compton's experience.  Because they were all "safe" guys.

Manusky is not a "safe" guy.  He's got the eye of a tiger, and he wants speed and athletic ability out there so he can be aggressive.  So they played Spaight, and it worked out wonderfully.

But it was a risk.  And I think Manusky should get credit for taking the risk.  

It might be that Brown turns out to be better than Fletcher.  We'll see, he has a long way to go before he gets to that level.  But he has the physical tools to actually contribute more. 

Well, Compton was out on the field at times... didn't I hear/read that he played in the base D and Spaight in nickel?  No idea if that was the right move or not, but I love that Manusky utilized those two and Everett/Nicholson that way.  

On a different note, what a perfect matchup in terms of Manusky wanting our corners playing off vs a qb that gets the ball out quickly.  I would have thought (based on recent history), that playing corners closer to the line is what takes away the quick passing, but Manusky proved me wrong.  

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Always good to see @Art come into a thread dropping knowledge.  

Yeah, there was a lot of talk about Compton being the replacement instead of Spaight.  Which would have been the "safe" play because coaches know what they're going to get with Compton.  Spaight is a bit more of a risk.  So, putting him out there with Brown, you don't lose much athleticism.  

Someone earlier praised Swearinger for being the field general. Yelling at players, tugging them into the right position and making sure everyone knew their assignments. If that's the case, then he's taking over the role that Compton would fill. Swearinger being the heady guy who knows what the DC wants and the offenses tendencies negates the one big advantage that Compton had over Spaight.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Someone earlier praised Swearinger for being the field general. Yelling at players, tugging them into the right position and making sure everyone knew their assignments. If that's the case, then he's taking over the role that Compton would fill. Swearinger being the heady guy who knows what the DC wants and the offenses tendencies negates the one big advantage that Compton had over Spaight.

Completely agree.  I'm just giving credit to the coaching staff for taking a chance on talent.  It's been a big point of mine that at times they've been reluctant to play the more talented players because they're worried about inexperience or whatever.  This time they took a chance, and it paid off.  And I think that they should get due credit for it.

Especially from me, since I've been extraordinarily hard on Gruden and the staff.  

18 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Well, Compton was out on the field at times... didn't I hear/read that he played in the base D and Spaight in nickel?  No idea if that was the right move or not, but I love that Manusky utilized those two and Everett/Nicholson that way.  

On a different note, what a perfect matchup in terms of Manusky wanting our corners playing off vs a qb that gets the ball out quickly.  I would have thought (based on recent history), that playing corners closer to the line is what takes away the quick passing, but Manusky proved me wrong.  

It looked like the corners really trusted their help over the top. They didn't honor the deep ball at all, and were just waiting for the WRs to come back where they were all over them.

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Completely agree.  I'm just giving credit to the coaching staff for taking a chance on talent.  It's been a big point of mine that at times they've been reluctant to play the more talented players because they're worried about inexperience or whatever.  This time they took a chance, and it paid off.  And I think that they should get due credit for it.

Especially from me, since I've been extraordinarily hard on Gruden and the staff.  

Yeah, my post was meant to add to your post. I liked your post. I think Swearinger's leadership allowed the coaches to feel comfortable enough to risk being flexible and put out a guy like Spaight who last year looked completely lost on the field.

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I think yesterday's game is proof of why you don't give up on young talent. Breeland, Fuller, P. Smith, all were criticized heavily last year and constantly you heard CUT HIM HE STINKS. Now all of a sudden with actual coaching and development they thrive.

That includes Docston, too.

Young players sometimes 2-3 years before they hit their stride or "get it".

Jury is still out on these players long term, but they look good in the short term.

Stunned to the point of having to be revived with smelling salts half way through the final quarter was my reaction to that overall team performance last night. Obviously the D was the star of the show, but just the feel of the whole team in all three areas of offense, defense and special teams playing with such physical passion and unity was really enjoyable to watch. The Redskins played like one of those other NFL teams I've watched in envy for the most part of the past 25 years since our glory years and said either aloud or to myself "I wish the Redskins would play like that again".

Well last night they played like one of those dominating physical teams that just come out, line up and keep punching you in the mouth on both sides of the ball for 4 quarters- with no let up. If these guys keep playing like that, they're going to play their last game of the season in Minneapolis- just like they did the last time we've seen such physical dominance from them in 1991.

Archived