Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Common Kirk....I just don't know....

Riggo'sRangers

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics!

Dont know a heck of a lot about "Football Outsiders", but if they seriously consider Cousins to be on the Brady/Bree's/Rodgers tier I might look for a more reputable source for information.

Let's just hope the OL shows up next week. This was still a winnable game before "the fumble". All they need to do is win next week, get back to 1-1. Then hope to beat either Oakland or KC (Oakland probably being the most likeliest to happen, did you see KC last Thursday? ****!) 

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some of the people criticizing him here were critical before the season too where this seems to feel like vindication to them.  I strongly suspect that feeling will be short lived. Kirk has been a slow starter each season, then he has taken off.

That may be, but how often can we afford to get off to slow starts? 2015 was a mixture of good luck with the rest of the division falling apart and Cousins playing on fire. 2016 was another slow start and we stumbled at the end. Third year in, he's giving reason to doubt he'll buck that trend.

Squeezing into the playoffs on a 9-7 is a feel good moment for a growing team and young QB gelling together. Third year in, you shouldn't have to hope everyone else screws up while you play catch up.

By no means saying we should ditch Cousins now and that it's the end. It is the first game of the season. But he hasn't given reason for optimism.

The thing is he has his good games and his bad games. He looked like **** today. It happens. Brady looked like **** too. Defenses make you look human. Blitzing a QB and making them force passes makes you look human. Shrug it off. Go get them next week. I didn't like the way Cousins played today but come Tuesday I'll be hyped up as **** to see how he does against the Rams. And if the Rams and their pass rush get to him, I'd start getting a little worried. I'm telling you people, I hope Callahan lights a fire under those wannabe Hogs. Show them what a real ****ing Hog is. They used to protect Cousins so much that he barely got touched. Go back to those days. If he's upright and throwing we'll see. 

- Cut out the ****ing deep ball garbage because he's overthrowing that ****. Focus on the short and intermediate routes that have higher completion percentages

- Protect him and let him work his magic 

5 minutes ago, I Love The Skins said:

Kirk has all the skills to be an elite QB except for some reason he seems to make some of the worst decisions in the Redzone or in crunch time. It is truly Rex Grossman and Tony Romo like.

This is one of the reasons he'll never be elite, IMO. I think stuff like the ability to handle pressure and play your best when the stakes are highest, or be a great improviser is just part of someone's psychological makeup and not something that can be taught. That's why I kinda always doubted he would ever be at that level (though I certainly hoped). You can fix mechanics, you can fix footwork, you can improve your understanding of defenses, but if a guy doesn't have that "clutch" personality, then I just don't think he ever will.

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Defenses make you look human. Blitzing a QB and making them force passes makes you look human. Shrug it off. Go get them next week.

- Protect him and let him work his magic 

I agree with you, but I also want to point out that Rodgers was sacked four times in the second half. When it mattered he led drives, was accurate, and won the game. We have seen Big Ben come back from pressure after pressure too. Yes, sometimes pressure makes QBs look mortal. Sometimes, pressure makes Great QBs look like clueless wannabees, but then you also see QBs punish the blitz and burn it so that the D becomes afraid to blitz. You see QBs rise above pressure and win anyway. 

The problem wasn't entirely pressure. It was that Kirk was innacurate when he had time too so the defense wasn't really scared that he would make them pay. If Cousins' wants top money he is allowed a dog of a game, but only one. The rest better be great. After all, if he wants to be paid like Rodgers, Brady, etc. he ought to play like them.

Now, no one is saying Kirk is Rodgers... except for Kirk and his agent who want to be paid more than Rodgers.

18 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics!

Dont know a heck of a lot about "Football Outsiders", but if they seriously consider Cousins to be on the Brady/Bree's/Rodgers tier I might look for a more reputable source for information.

What I'm saying is that Cousins played at that level (more Brees/Roethelisburger) for 2 seasons.   The "great QBs" (think those guys plus Matty Ryan) are in the top 10 pretty much every year -- so no, the stats say that Cousins has put together 2 seasons of great QB play.  

What I'm saying is that, very few QBs not named the ones I mention make the top 10 3+ seasons into their stats... ie. all the ones who do are the ones that are great. Think something like a PER for QBs.  

Honestly, we should have more confidence and faith in Kirk than we he has proven statistically, as a fanbase.    

The whole offense was out of sync -- but there are also reasons for hope.  A checkdown to Crowder in the middle on a blitz in the redzone, a dig route run 3 more yards deeper by Reed, a few balls brought in with 2 hands on them from the receivers, we are talking about how gritty the team played to stick with the Eagles after going down 14-0....  

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers are garbage then. When is the last time either of their teams won a division title?

I do think they're overrated these days, but I'll bite... When was the last time either of them played with an offensive line like we had the last two seasons, plus a receiving stable with the likes of DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Jamison Crowder, Jordan Reed, and Vernon Davis? Their RBs stunk too, heck the Saints have the shell of Adrian Peterson now to add depth lol

1 minute ago, SkinsFTW said:

Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers are garbage then. When is the last time either of their teams won a division title?

Really? Rivers has done more with less and Brees has a ring, both have something that Cousins doesn't though and that's playoff wins. But you're comparing two guys at the twilight of their career, in the case of Rivers he won with Norv coaching him, and Brees has won the big one, they're both Not QB's who **** the bed in big games and demand to be the highest paid player in the league despite being 2-11 against winning opponents 

Cousins is smart, really smart.  We see his superior intelligence in his quick processing speed that has powered his NFL career and also in his unfailing ability to say the right thing.  Kirk has more social grace than any American President I can remember except Reagan.  I was in grade school when Kennedy was in office, JFK was artful as well.  Kirk has a remarkable gift that will serve him well if he wants a political career himself some day.  But maybe the smartest thing he did was decide not to engage in negotiations this year with the Skins.  

If the year year goes as ugly as it seems today Kirk will be free to sign with a franchise of his choosing because the Snyder will opt for a reboot.  They won't tag Kirk again so in 2018 Kirk will be free to select the opportunity he prefers and that might be taking over the Pittsburgh job if Ben hangs it up.  

Maybe Kirk will opt for the highest bidder but being as smart as he is he'll probably select the best team instead of the highest bidder which might be the Steelers.

3 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

What I'm saying is that Cousins played at that level (more Brees/Roethelisburger) for 2 seasons.   The "great QBs" (think those guys plus Matty Ryan) are in the top 10 pretty much every year -- so no, the stats say that Cousins has put together 2 seasons of great QB play.  

What I'm saying is that, very few QBs not named the ones I mention make the top 10 3+ seasons into their stats... ie. all the ones who do are the ones that are great. Think something like a PER for QBs.  

Honestly, we should have more confidence and faith in Kirk than we he has proven statistically, as a fanbase.    

The whole offense was out of sync -- but there are also reasons for hope.  A checkdown to Crowder in the middle on a blitz in the redzone, a dig route run 3 more yards deeper by Reed, a few balls brought in with 2 hands on them from the receivers, we are talking about how gritty the team played to stick with the Eagles after going down 14-0....  

He was statistically tops in pretty much every category except the one that matters most....TDs. He was horrendous in the red zone. Maybe it wasn't all on him but it's hard to argue that he didn't look like a much worse QB when he got down there and that trend seemed to continue today. That's the main difference between him and those other guys...they put up a ton of yards but also a ton of TDs. Ryan had about the same number of yards as Kirk last season but had 13 more TDs. That's a HUGE difference. Kirk is the only 5,000 yard QB who has had less than 30 TDs to go along with those yards. That's a major problem because there were plenty of games last year that with one more TD instead of a FG we would have likely won. 

1 hour ago, dyst said:

100% I mean no offense to you, but it's this line of thinking that gets this team in trouble. I feel like they ****ing think everything is a joke. Preseason there is no urgency, first game there is no urgency because hey "it's only preseason, it's only game 1, it's only year 4 of the rebuild".

This is 100% correct, especially for a team that missed the playoffs by 1/2 a game last year. Considering this was a winnable divisiosional home game against a team that will probably do no better than third in the division, of say this was one of the more important games of the season (and certainly the most important game before the bye week).

For a six-year guy entering his third-year as the unquestioned starter, this was a colossal fail. For a fourth year HC, another embarrassing preseason and opener.

I am done with both these guys.

3 minutes ago, TheCoach22 said:

This is 100% correct, especially for a team that missed the playoffs by 1/2 a game last year. Considering this was a winnable divisiosional home game against a team that will probably do no better than third in the division, of say this was one of the more important games of the season (and certainly the most important game before the bye week).

For a six-year guy entering his third-year as the unquestioned starter, this was a colossal fail. For a fourth year HC, another embarrassing preseason and opener.

I am done with both these guys.

100% in agreement, this team looks out of sync in the preseason, comes out slow and then fights to get to 7 or 8 wins, honestly if our "franchise" QB can't get his head out of his ass for the first four games of every season it's time to move on. Brady, Rodgers play 16 sometimes they struggle but they don't take the first quarter of a season to wake up.  

The fact that Kirk wants the amount of money that he does is what turns me against him. He simply doesn't deserve to take that chunk of our salary cap and be payed that much more than his teammates. For a guy who NEEDS so much around him, he should be paid middle of the pack. HE needs some of that money to go to the team around him.

There are QB's who make their OL look better by getting the ball out fast or moving in the pocket. There are QB's who make their WRs look better with ball placement or audibles into coverage beaters. There are QB's who make their RB look better by forcing defenses into pass coverages that give space in the box. There are QB's who make their team look better in big games by stepping up in critical moments.

Kirk does not consistently do any of these things, if ever. Why does he or anyone feel he deserves anywhere near $25mil a year? He doesn't. That asking point really irritates me and I guarantee some of his teammates too.

Finally saw the highlights of the game. I can't believe that INT Kirk threw when we are about to hopefully go in for the TD. Had Crowder wide open. Shoot, a better QB would have probably had a TD even to Pryor on that one. Of course, he felt pressure so the play didn't go exactly according the plan and he threw another killer INT. 

Regarding Kirk and his contract, he is holding it over on us because he knows he is the best QB this team has had in a while. We are desperate for something, anything and he can use that.

Regarding Kirk and his contract, he is holding it over on us because he knows he is the best QB this team has had in a while. We are desperate for something, anything and he can use that.

23 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Maybe Kirk will opt for the highest bidder but being as smart as he is he'll probably select the best team instead of the highest bidder which might be the Steelers.

If this turns out in typical Redskins fashion, he'll win the SB within a year or 2 of signing with another team. Hell, most of our former kickers at least played in a SB after we **** canned them lol.

Archived