Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Common Kirk....I just don't know....

Riggo'sRangers

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

Like wildly overthrowing a player 10 yards away on a backwards pass?  Again, I'm not feeling the Wentz praise.  He had much less pressure to deal with and his mistakes were largely what kept the Redskns in the game.

Would you agree at least that he played better than Cousins?

2 minutes ago, BigRedskinDaddy said:

Alright,  I'll bite:

So what's the answer?  If Cousins isn't the guy,  do we take another chance on the next RG3 - and probably mortgage our next couple of years in the process - or try to grab someone in FA?  Call me crazy,  stupid,  or both.  but from where I'm sitting our track record since,  oh,  pretty much Ryp hasn't been anywhere close to inspiring.  That said,  mini-rant:  I know it's only one play,  but how in the holy hell do the zebras decide KC's arm wasn't moving forward on that Fletcher Cox debacle?  Geez.... 

Go for a QB in 2018 and don't go fer a flash in the pan who never had a playbook....THAT was a stupid as Stupid gets. Go get a BIG "D" in the Meantime. At least I can enjoy a good ass kicking on one side of the ball

7 minutes ago, Destino said:

Like wildly overthrowing a player 10 yards away on a backwards pass?  Again, I'm not feeling the Wentz praise.  He had much less pressure to deal with and his mistakes were largely what kept the Redskns in the game.

That was definitely a poor pass on Wentz's part and a stupid play call on the coaches part. I do think Cousins had more pressure, but we did get a good amount of pressure on Wentz quite a few times. Difference is how he dealt with it. Wentz seemed to feel the pressure, stay cool, was able to improvise and hit guys for big gains multiple times, whereas almost from the get-go Kirk seemed to be rattled by it and got skittish very early on. 

I'm not saying Wentz is all world or something, but he's a second year QB who, IMO, looked far better out there today than Kirk did.

2 hours ago, Redd said:

I don't freaking understand what was going through the Captains mind in the redzone when all we needed was a fg.  There was a guy wide open underneath who had a sure thing first down.   And what do you do like clockwork.  You Blew It.

Post game interview on AM 980 -- he said that he was trying to throw it to a spot for Pryor --  not Crowder. 

The fact that the Eagles brought a blitz and he didn't throw it to the middle of the field... and he's what year?  

Wentz made better plays with his arms and legs.... maybe look at Goff and you can see what we might've had.... it's water under the bridge. 

Alex Smith zone'd.... 

10 minutes ago, Destino said:

As long as the defensive backs don't come down with them, sure.  We going to pretend that if two of those passes get picked it doesn't change everything?  He gambled often and we just didn't make the play.  Wentz wasn't great.

Destino

Just curious, if you had a choice, who would you want at QB from this day forward, Wentz or Cousins.

1 minute ago, BigRedskinDaddy said:

Hangman,  I'd settle for one solid unit on this team as well.  Who am I kidding?  I'd be happy with occasional special teams dominance.  Funny how standards drop with prolonged mediocrity... 

Honestly the defense did not look bad... front 4 was getting good pressure and they stood tall in the 1st half.  

The pressure wasn't able to keep down Wentz but he didn't have ask clean of a pocket as other times QBs have thrown the ball. 

Don't give up on the team until you've seen 4 full games.... I will remain hopefully optimistic until the Redskins start getting boatraced on both sides of the ball. 

17 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Not trying to be an ass, but you said his numbers were average last year.  

Then...

I provided numbers saying otherwise.  You picked one of the numbers and said it's an overrated stat.  

You haven't addressed the other stats I provided (and there are more I could have included of course). 

You haven't provided any stats to back up your claim.  

So...

Because there is only one number that counts as far as I'm concerned and that's TD. Considering how superior those "filler" numbers are just magnifies just how shoddy his TD total was.

yards, ypa that's all great but is meaningless. You can point to a million other stats that's you could use to argue his place but I really only need 1. Today was another example of lofty stats with a poor showing.

12 minutes ago, Destino said:

the Skins got a pretty good amount of pressure on him, they just couldn't get home and that lateral wasn't that bad.  The receiver had his hands on the ball it was a good play by the defender that kept him from corralling it

Just now, dyst said:

100% I mean no offense to you, but it's this line of thinking that gets this team in trouble. I feel like they ****ing think everything is a joke. Preseason there is no urgency, first game there is no urgency because hey "it's only preseason, it's only game 1, it's only year 4 of the rebuild".

There are two main themes running on the thread from what i noticed. Lack of urgency to start the season and variations of Kirk is not the guy. Kirk isnt the guy seems to be the main theme, so i jumped in with my take on it.

My point was primarily about Kirk.  At this point we have a good sample size of the dude. Either u like him as the guy or u dont. My point is 1 game doesnt matter in that soup especially if its the first game of the season.

Some of the people criticizing him here were critical before the season too where this seems to feel like vindication to them.  I strongly suspect that feeling will be short lived. Kirk has been a slow starter each season, then he has taken off.

4 year of a rebuild? They had 2 back to back winning seasons. They lost 1 game in 2018.  All is not lost. I like Jay but for whatever reason he has yet to win an opener.  The teams under him tend to bounce back, lets see what happens next week. If they lose 2 in a row, id be concerned too. I said just that in a thread a week or so ago.

Just now, Fergasun said:

Don't give up on the team until you've seen 4 full games.... I will remain hopefully optimistic until the Redskins start getting boatraced on both sides of the ball. 

\Brother,  I never will give up on them.  It's hard-wired in my DNA.  None of that genetic code prevents me from wanting to use a unibit on myself as a catheter whenever I see the B&G stumble,  bumble,  and come up that much short - again and again and...you know.

1 minute ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

If we go 0-4 as some other have mentioned on this board, I think you have to look into trading Cousins.  Would Cousins have any value at that point?

Doubtful. Why would a team give up draft picks for him when they know there's a 90% chance he'll be a FA after this season? Only way I could see it is if some team's QB got injured and was lost for the season.

6 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

If we go 0-4 as some other have mentioned on this board, I think you have to look into trading Cousins.  Would Cousins have any value at that point?

Who's going to give up anything of value when you can just wait until the season is over and sign him as a free agent? 

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What? 

Didnt get the point. The point is Kirk isnt a Ferrari so you dont pay Ferrari money to keep him.

11 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

Destino

Just curious, if you had a choice, who would you want at QB from this day forward, Wentz or Cousins.

Wentz.  He's younger, cheaper, under contract, and elusive (which is huge for a team that can't block worth a damn).  Most importantly, I expect him to get a great deal better.  

On a team with a good roster, for this season, I'd take Kirk.  

Problem is that the real choice is between Kirk or a draft pick, that is most likely a bust, or a Brian Hoyer style journeyman.  That's the problem.

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Not a single GM in this league would go with Cousins.

Wait until the end of the season... Cousins has put up 2 statistically top 10 season (with last year in the top 5). 

QB will get the blame for bad offense, but no running game -- and the WRs were not making the plays on balls that you want to see. 

Case in point on the final drive -- Cousins his Pryor in the hands -- dropped... like a nice 15+ yard breakout from under the goalposts (actually, it was the 2nd to last drive). 

Drive killer... 

The hope for Cousins is that we close our eyes and say, "Be the next Drew Brees, be the next Drew Brees" --- you want to see him have Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees level awareness about the plays, in the pocket.  He has confidence, he does make some plays (avoiding blindside rusher was one I recall.... a couple of decent scrambles).   

The team invested more in defense this year... and they scored a TD and thought played a hopeful game. 

Kirk may never turn into "Drew Brees" -- but he's better than the "Case Keenam" that we could be stuck with.  

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Didnt get the point. The point is Kirk isnt a Ferrari so you dont pay Ferrari money to keep him.

Someone's gonna pay him.  Someone just paid that doofy looking guy in Detroit a lot of money.  

I didn't say you had to agree with it.  I didn't say you had to like it.  But the reality of the QB market is exactly what it is right now.  

Archived