Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Common Kirk....I just don't know....

Riggo'sRangers

Watching Wentz made his deficiencies stick out a bit today. 

4 Sacks, 1 INT, 1 now you know why I play defense dropped INT, 2 fumbles, was lucky not to get tagged with a 3rd on a late sack. An ugly over throw to Crowder, and maybe another 1 to Pryor.  Looked very nervous under pressure. I don't like 1 year contracts because fear players look to avoid injuries but he did lower the head a few times on some nice runs off script. 

But being our leading rusher is also a reason he had tough sledding in the pocket.  They teed off on us.  Credit to the Eagles, they blitzed much more aggressively than we did - bringing many more than our predictable bring 5.

As bad as the O-line appeared to be, there were more than enough opportunities for a franchise QB to have thrown for over 300 yards and 3 TDs today.  He missed open receivers all day.  He also makes his O-line look worse than they are with some of the sacks he takes.

I have seen enough of Kirk Cousins to conclude he is not "that" guy.  When he needs to be at his best, he plays his worst football.  I would stay with him if he would sign a contract that reflects the level of QB he is, but he wants franchise QB money.  As a result, 2017 should be his last year as a Redskins QB.

26 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think he's an above-average starting NFL QB who you can win with if the roster is good enough.

I think it will be really hard to find someone who is definitely better.

Despite those things I'm pretty much done waiting for him to take that next step. Rooting for Kirk is just not a fun experience as a fan....

Could not have said it better myself.

5 minutes ago, paloosa said:

You can blame Kirk for all the issue but any QB without time to throw the ball will make the same mistakes. Morgan Moses was getting beat like a drum and Shawn Lauvao needs to go. He is terrible and gets knocked back in the backfield on a regular basis. This team has the same problems it has since Gibbs left and that is poor tackling and not doing their job. So blame Kirk Cousins but this team will never win when they can't tackle, stop anyone on 3rd down on a consistent, play soft coverage, and continue to employ bad players at key positions. If the Offensive line would do their job and protect whomever was behind them then they may be more successful. Kirk Cousins is going to be only as good as his offensive line blocks for him and that seems to be the issue.

The defenses tackling was great today, wtf are you talking about? I saw maybe 1 missed tackle lol.

25 minutes ago, Redd said:

I don't freaking understand what was going through the Captains mind in the redzone when all we needed was a fg.  There was a guy wide open underneath who had a sure thing first down.   And what do you do like clockwork.  You Blew It.

He threw off his back foot, which affected his accuracy...something I had hoped he moved passed.

8 minutes ago, paloosa said:

You can blame Kirk for all the issue but any QB without time to throw the ball will make the same mistakes. Morgan Moses was getting beat like a drum and Shawn Lauvao needs to go. He is terrible and gets knocked back in the backfield on a regular basis. This team has the same problems it has since Gibbs left and that is poor tackling and not doing their job. So blame Kirk Cousins but this team will never win when they can't tackle, stop anyone on 3rd down on a consistent, play soft coverage, and continue to employ bad players at key positions. If the Offensive line would do their job and protect whomever was behind them then they may be more successful. Kirk Cousins is going to be only as good as his offensive line blocks for him and that seems to be the issue.

Really? The line was pretty good for him last year and his numbers were average.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

He threw off his back foot, which affected his accuracy...something I had hoped he moved passed.

This happens too often six years in. He doesn't have a Flacco or Rogers arm and the NFL speed will not forgive the same Pop Warner mistake over and over again... especially over the middle of the field in the tight space of the RZ.

17 minutes ago, Redd said:

I don't freaking understand what was going through the Captains mind in the redzone when all we needed was a fg.  There was a guy wide open underneath who had a sure thing first down.   And what do you do like clockwork.  You Blew It.

I agree and he did it the possession before that when we kicked the FG.

I think it was 2nd down, he had Pryor wide open if he throws that ball inside with some pace, instead he lobs it, the CB has time to recover and was able to break up the pass.

I guess saw a different games because the TD to a wide open Eagle WR in the first Quarter was because the tackling was great on Carson Wentz. That TD doesn't happen if they were able to sack Wentz but he broke tackles and threw a TD because they stopped and watched the play. And that happened a lot during this game but of course the defense tackled great. 

11 minutes ago, TheCoach22 said:

This happens too often six years in. He doesn't have a Flacco or Rogers arm and the NFL speed will not forgive the same Pop Warner mistake over and over again... especially over the middle of the field in the tight space of the RZ.

What about Crowder muffing that punt?...3rd year in the league returning punts and the guy jumps in the air to catch a punt. WTF, man lol...

It's like all the skill players except for Thompson just forgot fundamentals today.

I saw what I needed to see of Kirk Cousins against the Giants last year with the playoffs on the line. He's not a great quarterback. He's not clutch, and he doesn't have the ability to play great in tough spots when the lights are brightest.

But he's still good. It will be difficult to find a replacement that'll match his effeciency (at least of the last 2 years, he may completely regress this season, remains to be seen with a larger sample size).

Us as fans have a tendency to attach ourselves to a savior and ride them to the ground when the only real cure to years of mediocrity is vast improvement in the front office, scouting, and team building. Look at he-who-shall-not-be-named-3. He was annointed as a savior. People were crowning him as some great lord who'd come to lead us to superbowls. It was ridiculous. He sold so many jerseys to so many hopefuls that you still see hundreds at Fedex every game.

Then Cousins comes along and leads us to an NFC east divisional title so many attached themselves to him and why wouldn't they? It's what our fanbase does, and honestly should as long as the new savior is performing well. But finding a true franchise quarterback isn't that easy. For all I know something might click and he'll change his DNA and become our franchise quarterback, I'm certainly not giving up on him yet. But, do I think he's the type of QB to take us to and win a Superbowl? No. That'll take exempliary drafting and some years of pain to actually put forth the effort to find one, something our team does not do.

Our ownership, our front office, and our scouting is garbage. It ALL starts at the top, and regime change isn't something Daniel Snyder is interested in.

I think at this point we just need to realize that this is who Kirk is. He's an above average QB who is inconsistent, tends to get very rattled by pressure, and is not a playmaker who can put the team on his back, but he has flashes of excellent play. Problem is you pretty much NEVER know from one game to the next whether Good Kirk or Bad Kirk is going to show up. He's very streaky and still seems to have a problem shaking off mistakes. He'll make an excellent play followed up by an incredibly boneheaded one. And I'm sick of hearing about how he's still learning and will hopefully progress and take that next step. He's a 29 year old NFL veteran who's in his 6th season in the league. He has played in 56 games and started in 42. 

He actually kinda reminds me of Sexy Rexy (without the reckless "**** it I'm going deep" devil may care attitude) or a less physically gifted Jay Cutler. Cutler had a knack for the same stuff...making an amazing play and then turning around and making a completely head scratching throw. He was also always very streaky and inconsistent in general too. Though Cutler had that escapability and ability to make plays out of nothing that Kirk lacks.

IMO he's definitely not worth the kind of money he wants. 

He's was bad today. He's had other bad games. He's been good a lot.

If you're making excuses for him today or you think he always sucked, you would be wrong.

He has 15 more games. if he plays like he did today 15 times, he sucks and we start over. If he's at his best 15 times, he's good and we pay him a lot of money (hopefully).

8 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

He's was bad today. He's had other bad games. He's been good a lot.

If you're making excuses for him today or you think he always sucked, you would be wrong.

He has 15 more games. if he plays like he did today 15 times, he sucks and we start over. If he's at his best 15 times, he's good and we pay him a lot of money (hopefully).

What if he's at his best for 6 games, plays like he did today for 5 games, is in between those two for 3 games, and misses one game due to the flu?...What then? What then!!!

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

What if he's at his best for 6 games, plays like he did today for 5 games, is in between those two for 3 games, and misses one game due to the flu?...What then? What then!!!

Then he's still better than the any QB selected in the first 2 rounds of that 2012 draft. Hell, none of those guys even played this week. :ols:

37 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

If the FO knew that KC wasn't the guy they should have traded him when they had the chance and then drafted his replacement who would be on the team NOW. Instead they did nothing and will either have to pay him major money next year or draft his replacement in next years draft. Way to go boneheads.

Perhaps they wanted to wait until next year to draft his replacement.

More options (draft).

Just speculating.

Funny. I see comments from in here from some people that were going crazy to sign this guy and make him the highest paid player in history. Why? Because "thats what the market would bear". It doesnt matter what his value is on the market if he isnt going to win you a championship. And Kirk Cousins will never win a Super Bowl without an elite defense, Oline and elite weapons. If a player needs all of that to win you dont make him the highest paid player in NFL. You just dont. And I got blasted all off season for saying just this. I would much rather draft a guy in the first round with first round talent. At least then you have him on the cheap for 5 years while you spend money to build the rest of the team around him.

Archived