Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

Just now, Rocky52Mc said:

Might be something seriously wrong with Su'a.

And if so, I hope he gets help and figures it all out.  But as far as his football health, he's probably fine (I would guess) and has expressed interest in the Broncos who have expressed interest in trading for him since back in late February.  IMO, he at minimum needs a fresh change of scenery.  I don't expect a huge return for him, though I'd like to recoup that 3rd rounder we lost to KC in the Smith trade.

But, if the end result is Bruce not accepting any offers from the Broncos, then he retires, nothing is gained.  I'm not sold on 6th or 7th round picks, those are usually depth/camp fodder/etc. but if we could get a 3rd or 4th rounder, I'd be happy.  

To me, it’s a 4th, or let him retire. I shudder to think of him being traded for a 6th and then being a pro bowler elsewhere. He basically creates a precedence- don’t want to play for the skins? Quit. 

ETA: BA is a prick, has to win. This is one of the occasions it benefits us. I would suspect he feels similar to me. 

I would not mind seeing what he has in camp if a fair trade is not offered but the beat guys are pretty united in saying the team has no interest of letting him back inside the building ever.  I don't think his social media announcement of his return generated any positive feedback from the locker room so I would guess the players remember how he quit on them and don't want him back.

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

And if so, I hope he gets help and figures it all out.  But as far as his football health, he's probably fine (I would guess) and has expressed interest in the Broncos who have expressed interest in trading for him since back in late February.  IMO, he at minimum needs a fresh change of scenery.  I don't expect a huge return for him, though I'd like to recoup that 3rd rounder we lost to KC in the Smith trade.

But, if the end result is Bruce not accepting any offers from the Broncos, then he retires, nothing is gained.  I'm not sold on 6th or 7th round picks, those are usually depth/camp fodder/etc. but if we could get a 3rd or 4th rounder, I'd be happy.  

Here's the thing, Denver holds the leverage here. Clearly, the Skins are trying to act like they have leverage, and I really hope they can get something like a 4th, but the way things have played out with him he looks like a potential cut. Wow he had huge potential and just...yea

The Skins certainly have leverage, we are very thin at safety and could use him as backup and special teamer all day long. He's under rookie deal for 2 more years. I don't like the kid but I'm sure he could cover a punt on kickoff.

I wouldn't send him anywhere for less than a 3rd. If we get nothing for him fine. Tell him to suck it up, or retire. You can't just start giving players away because they decide that they don't want to be here anymore. 

I'd be trying to get Denver to swap 2nd rounders with us #40 for #44, and get their 3rd round pick.

25 minutes ago, dyst said:

Does he have an issue with the Skins? If so, what is it? Just wondering if we don’t want him or if he doesn’t want to be here.

We already have a DB coach, so we're not willing to pay his salary + a coach's salary. Maybe Denver's offering both?

4 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

The Skins certainly have leverage, we are very thin at safety and could use him as backup and special teamer all day long. He's under rookie deal for 2 more years. I don't like the kid but I'm sure he could cover a punt on kickoff.

I believe it’s actually on rookie contract for 3 years.  Cravens rightly didn’t get credit for last year

I know it’s probably an unpopular opinion right now, but id be fine giving cravens one chance over training camp/preseason to see if he’s matured enough to earn a spot on the 53. If he does, awesome. If not, whatever, cut him. Who knows, maybe a late round draft pick earns the spot over him? ??‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I know it’s probably an unpopular opinion right now, but id be fine giving cravens one chance over training camp/preseason to see if he’s matured enough to earn a spot on the 53. If he does, awesome. If not, whatever, cut him. Who knows, maybe a late round draft pick earns the spot over him? ??‍♂️ 

Well, if we're being offered a third now, I say take it and unplug the phone til the draft in case they want it back.

We can definitely take the chance to see what he's got,, but to me, chances are very high that what he's got is the proverbial ten-cent head.

Say he goes through camp, and on the day before the season starts,, oh ,i don't know,, he decides he wants to be a fireman or a rodeo cowboy and quits again? (It should not be forgotten when and how he left the team last year. He didn't come to a decision and inform coaches and try to minimize his exit. he up and quit with a text right before the season began. He deserted, basically. No respect for that. )

Take the trade, i say. Su'a can't be counted upon, and some of his latest tweets indicate to me he's not finished playing around yet.

If he had a more concentrated outlook right now, if he seemed more focused, I'd be right there with you on seeing what he can do, and i'd be rooting for him to succeed. He does have talent.. but it's his secondary attribute behind what i feel are maturity issues. 

To me and my limited exposure to him he doesn't appear to be committed to play football again, so I'd say 'what he can do" leans heavily towards "quit again".

3rd round picks are usually too high for  inexperienced players with a red flag. If Denver is still offering it, I say we should take it. 

~Bang

On 3/16/2018 at 12:18 PM, JSSkinz said:

At least we know his dawgs must be stoked knowing that their post-football career is now taken care of. Josh Norman must be counting the days until he gets to be an employee of Su'a's Coaching Service. What a pair of coaches they'll make. 

5 minutes ago, Bang said:

Well, if we're being offered a third now, I say take it and unplug the phone til the draft in case they want it back.

We can definitely take the chance to see what he's got,, but to me, chances are very high that what he's got is the proverbial ten-cent head.

Say he goes through camp, and on the day before the season starts,, oh ,i don't know,, he decides he wants to be a fireman or a rodeo cowboy and quits again? (It should not be forgotten when and how he left the team last year. He didn't come to a decision and inform coaches and try to minimize his exit. he up and quit with a text right before the season began. He deserted, basically. No respect for that. )

Take the trade, i say. Su'a can't be counted upon, and some of his latest tweets indicate to me he's not finished playing around yet.

If he had a more concentrated outlook right now, if he seemed more focused, I'd be right there with you on seeing what he can do, and i'd be rooting for him to succeed, he does have talent.. but it's his secondary attribute behind what i feel are maturity issues. 

To me and my limited exposure to him he doesn't appear to be committed to play football again, so I'd say 'what he can do" leans heavily towards "quit again".

3rd round picks are usually too high for  inexperienced players with a red flag. If Denver is still offering it, I say we should take it. 

~Bang

I agree 100%.  He’s clearly a head case.  He does have talent so if Denver is willing to give up a 3rd then pull the trigger.  If they want to lowball us, just pass on trading him and see if we can get him to play to his abilities.

I think we should give him a chance. Young people make  mistakes.

However if it is clear that he doesn't want to be here, or is completely unreliable from a mental standpoint, then we need to get whatever value for him that we can and use the roster spot on someone else.

Let's actually get some sort of value for a player.

Swapping picks seems like the most likely option. 

4 hours ago, -JB- said:

I agree 100%.  He’s clearly a head case.  He does have talent so if Denver is willing to give up a 3rd then pull the trigger.  If they want to lowball us, just pass on trading him and see if we can get him to play to his abilities.

I would bet my left nut that if any team in existence real or otherwise has offered us a 3rd for Cravens the deal would have already been packaged with a ribbon and bow. Obviously a 4th or 5th is not a low ball offer and a 3rd will not happen unless my left nut falls off

Broncos 2018 draft picks

Round 1, No. 5 overall – own pick
Round 2, No. 40 – own
Round 3, No. 71 – own
Round 3, No. 99 – compensatory
Round 4, No. 106 – own
Round 4, No. 109 – via San Francisco (Kapri Bibbs trade)
Round 5, No. 142 – own
Round 5, No. 160 – via Los Angeles Rams (Aqib Talib trade)
Round 5, No. 163 – via Atlanta (Ty Sambrailo trade)
Round 6, No. 182 – own
Round 7, No. 225 – own

I'd like to get one of those picks, or something like Cravens and our 5th for one of their 3rds. Anything to get us further up the draft. 

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Broncos 2018 draft picks

Round 1, No. 5 overall – own pick
Round 2, No. 40 – own
Round 3, No. 71 – own
Round 3, No. 99 – compensatory
Round 4, No. 106 – own
Round 4, No. 109 – via San Francisco (Kapri Bibbs trade)
Round 5, No. 142 – own
Round 5, No. 160 – via Los Angeles Rams (Aqib Talib trade)
Round 5, No. 163 – via Atlanta (Ty Sambrailo trade)
Round 6, No. 182 – own
Round 7, No. 225 – own

I'd like to get one of those picks, or something like Cravens and our 5th for one of their 3rds. Anything to get us further up the draft. 

If we HAD to part with him, I would like a combination of picks. A 5/5 or even better, a 4/4 ... rather than say, their 3rd (which I cant see happening).

Those 4th or 5th round picks can address positions of need and provide ammo to move up if you needed to in the 2nd.

Archived