Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

I am not saying this is going to have the same outcome - but the response from the fans to me is reminiscent of when the great late Sean Taylor went AWOL and got into trouble with ATVs and automatic weapons. My point is the media do love to sensationalise a story (its their jobs to) - give the kid at least a chance to step up and if he doesnt then thats on him. To cut him now to avoid bad PR is not the best idea ..

2 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

I am not saying this is going to have the same outcome - but the response from the fans to me is reminiscent of when the great late Sean Taylor went AWOL and got into trouble with ATVs and automatic weapons. My point is the media do love to sensationalise a story (its their jobs to) - give the kid at least a chance to step up and if he doesnt then thats on him. To cut him now to avoid bad PR is not the best idea ..

Throwing Sean Taylor and Cravens into the same boat is a bad comparison. First of all Sean Taylor never would have and never did quit on his teammates and gave his heart out on the playing field. Take some time and read the stories about Sean from the teams perspective. They loved Sean Taylor and the fans never had the same fascination as the media did at first in trying to profile him as the new, young irresponsible thug.  Maybe it isn't fair but players who always show up on game day and give there absolute best effort regardless of what they are doing in there personal life are almost always revered and loved by their teammates. It's called toughness. Lawrence Taylor's off the field lifestyle was nuts, but he could show up on game day still loaded from the previous night and out perform everyone else. Like LT, Sean Taylor was all heart and had a passion for the game and that is exactly what is being questioned in regards to Cravens - his heart, dedication and passion for the game. He quit on his teammates!

2 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

I'm not remembering Taylor going AWOL... do you remember when and the circumstances?  I know he skipped voluntary activities, and there is the notorious story from Cooley about how he up and left the Combine, but I don't off the top of my head remember him abandoning the team.  

4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm not remembering Taylor going AWOL... do you remember when and the circumstances?  I know he skipped voluntary activities, and there is the notorious story from Cooley about how he up and left the Combine, but I don't off the top of my head remember him abandoning the team.  

Yeah after that, or I think the DUI, he just didn't want to deal with it.  Didn't pick up when people called, but it was like a few days.  Thank god there was no social media back then.

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

Yeah after that, or I think the DUI, he just didn't want to deal with it.  Didn't pick up when people called, but it was like a few days.  Thank god there was no social media back then.

That was before he was drafted.. I don't remember him ever being out of touch once he was on the team.  

It makes me seriously sick to my stomach to see the late great Sean Taylor and this Sua Cravens idiot used in any sort of sentence.

Hell even if Sean Taylor had gone into Dan Snyder's office jumped on his desk and taken a crap all over it and spray painted Dallas Cowboys Rule on Snyders walls, even then if Sean did something that deplorable Sua Cravens couldn't get me to change my mind about these two. Sua is a quitter and a punk and needs to be punished and made to suffer. Sean is the bar here. He didn't just set the bar, he became the bar. Sua's a million miles under that bar.

Even if the argument isn't who was better, even if there is some sort of weird confidence between the history of these guys Sean never quit this team, Sean never took to the Internet to air his entitled ****fest, and Sean never was an awful human being. RIP Sean, Sua can't lace up your boots let alone deserves to be in any conversation about you. 

Sua is a punk and a quitter, they better not bring him back and they better not release him. If its me my goal is to keep his sorry ass suspended forever and if I'm forced to bring him back make him the tackling dummy for every practice or work him out so badly he quits again. And believe me I'd make him quit. 

Even if Sua could help them and we needed a Safety the hell with Sua Cravens. Spoiled rotten piece of crap. worst draft pick over the supposed good Scot McClough drunkfest of drafting here. His moneys dried up and now he wants to come back? No, Hell No. Do not need that around here. 

20 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Cravens is not the first person to do what he did. Any old school skin fans from '79 when Riggo retired early only to come back a couple years later? I believe that worked out for his teammates, himself and skins fans.. 

Ricky Williams returned to Miami after retiring and played many years after that..I believe he was forgiven by Dolphin fans and most of his teammates right?

You have your facts mixed up. John Riggins is nothing like Sua Cravens not even in the slightest.

John Riggins gained a 1000 rushing yards in 1978 and another 1000 rushing yards in 1979 as the Redskins RB. In 1980 the team told Riggins they wanted to move Riggins to FB and make him the primary blocker, Riggin's said to the team if they wanted to take him away from RB to become a blocker then he demanded more money. The reason he demanded more money was Riggin's knew being a lead blocker would hurt his earnings potential and he'd lose money though endorsements.

The team then told Riggin's they wouldn't renegotiate with him and told him he would have to be the lead blocker so Riggin's did what he could do and left the team. John went home went back into the woods with his beer and relaxed. A year later the first thing that Joe Gibbs did as the brand new head coach was go to John's cabin, and work out a deal for him to return to the team. John was willing to come back as long as they would add one thing to his contract. 

John came back of course with the infamous "I'm Bored, I'm Broke, and I'm Back" press conference and did get himself a new deal. His new deal included one change in the wording. His new contract included a no trade clause in it.

This proved that John wasn't some diva looking for more money. The reason John demanded that was because he was worried that Joe Gibbs would trade him which according to Gibbs was his original plan. All John wanted to do was run the football. He didn't mind blocking but he knew primary blockers barely run the football. John didn't demand more money, he just wanted to run the ball. And indeed he did. John ran so much he ran himself into the Hall of Fame and ran away on 4th down which gave us  our first Championship! 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/book/pages/123.htm

More about Gibbs and Riggins from 1981. Any way not a damn thing to do with Sua Cravens. Not even a little. 

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

That was before he was drafted.. I don't remember him ever being out of touch once he was on the team.  

He was right.  The day he got the DUI he was with the Skins.  Didn't show up for practice that day.  Team couldn't locate him so it was initially an "unexcused" absence.  They finally got him into the facility later for a meeting and he was suspended by the team for the game that Sunday against the Pack.  He was then excused from practice the rest of the week.

7 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

He was right.  The day he got the DUI he was with the Skins.  Didn't show up for practice that day.  Team couldn't locate him so it was initially an "unexcused" absence.  They finally got him into the facility later for a meeting and he was suspended by the team for the game that Sunday against the Pack.  He was then excused from practice the rest of the week.

That's different than disappearing for 3 days, then deciding you don't want to be an professional football player the day after final cuts... just to change your mind 2 weeks into the season, causing the team to put you on the no-show/exempt list.  

I thought he was saying he up and disappeared without notice to anyone.  

if we could get a 4th or a 5th rounder for him... signed sealed delivered.

You have to honestly ask yourself, aside from the 'struggles' (injuries and mental) he's been through, given the childish way he's handled everything do you really think he has any chance of sustaining. NONE... let another team take a flyer on him since contract is cheap

11 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

I'm sorry. Did you just compare Cravens to Sean Taylor?

4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

That's different than disappearing for 3 days, then deciding you don't want to be an professional football player the day after final cuts... just to change your mind 2 weeks into the season, causing the team to put you on the no-show/exempt list.  

I thought he was saying he up and disappeared without notice to anyone.  

I didn't say it was anything like the Cravens situation; I was correcting the recollection of the incident.

14 hours ago, Cooooley47 said:

I dont know...brain injuries would scare the crap out of me if I was a football player and I would take them very seriously. It's not exactly the same as having a bum knee once you retire. I trust players over sports media, especially the DC area sports media. Maybe he should just keep quiet, but if he really is bothered by what the media is saying, maybe he is telling the truth. Who knows. I would like to see him in burgundy next year. 

Evidently POVERTY is rattling Craven's bones...

5 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Gibbs had to go to Portis to get in touch with him

I remember Gibbs trying to call Taylor from OTAs and ~3 or 4 weeks later Sean got here and said he got a new phone.

Great players get extra leeway with fans and probably coaches, too. Cravens had that late INT that one game and eventually decided he didn't want to play football.

I love the stories from Seans father about how motivated he was, running everywhere.

6 hours ago, KingGibbs said:

I'm sorry. Did you just compare Cravens to Sean Taylor?

Nope I compared the fans reaction to Cravens to that when Sean Taylor was involved in this 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/24/AR2005062400535.html

not the Dui ... but in 2005 after his rookie season Taylor not only skipped OTAs but refused to contact the team he went dark and got involved in some serious trouble over a pair of ATVs ... eventually charged with a felony which got down graded ... 

my point was when that went down this board exp loaded and I think there was a huge percentage of fans wanted him gone . 

What Taylor did in 2005 could have resulted in prison time and would have been the equivilent of him walking away from the team ... 

I am not comparing the players but the reaction ... 

8 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

Nope I compared the fans reaction to Cravens to that when Sean Taylor was involved in this 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/24/AR2005062400535.html

not the Dui ... but in 2005 after his rookie season Taylor not only skipped OTAs but refused to contact the team he went dark and got involved in some serious trouble over a pair of ATVs ... eventually charged with a felony which got down graded ... 

my point was when that went down this board exp loaded and I think there was a huge percentage of fans wanted him gone . 

What Taylor did in 2005 could have resulted in prison time and would have been the equivilent of him walking away from the team ... 

I am not comparing the players but the reaction ... 

This is still an awful comparison. Even though you have some dates right your facts are muddied and don't give the complete picture. The entire video done on Sean Taylor - A Football Life is excellent, but listen starting at minute 20 to minute 23 and you will get a better idea of what happened. He never quit on his team!

Here's the link to the video - 

You will have to watch from youtube of course, but the link will direct you there...

I was listening to Finlay's podcast just now. 

His take the players are ok with Su'a.  (Craig Hoffman said something similar on 106.7 from his private conversations with players)

The coaches according to Finlay he guesses are ok with Su'a.

Finlay thinks Bruce isn't OK with Su'a and likely the barrier of him returning

I'm sure all the Patriots were ok with Jaime Collins, but players don't choose who is on the roster.

For the people saying the players are ok with him... who gives a ship. That's the difference between a fraud franchise and a franchise that is run by real management. 

Great, players would welcome him back. A real GM would be able to handle this and see through his immature behavior. Basically, a real GM would be shopping him on the discount rack, not trying to sell snake oil but telling teams maybe he's worth the risk to you. How about a 5th rounder??

Kids a fraud

Ex-Redskin Robert Henson just now on the radio said he knows Su'a.  Said part of the drill was mistrust between Su'a and the training staff.  They downplayed injuries that were more serious.  And he said there are other players who mistrust the training staff there for similar reasons.

There is distrust with Su'a and the front office and to quote Hanson "Bruce is about exacting revenge on his terms"

You got me though what that means.  I am not much of a Bruce guy but I wonder why the heck he'd be a key focus on the Su'a stuff.

Robert Henson (is he even really an ex-Redskin, I mean did he even play a down?) can say whatever he wants. Sounds a lot like Marcellus Bennett bad mouthing a well respected physician in hopes of a self fulfilled prophecy. However, same personality as S'ua, never wrong, always forces working against you (profiling incident with weed), never their fault. 

Give me a break, it will be an excuse for the Bennet brothers and S'ua their whole life. Sympathize if you want, kids a fraud

Its hard to tell from the players and coaches nowadays.....they know to put on that company face for the media

Whats to lose for giving this kid a rookie paycheck in the end though...put up or gtfo. No love unless you earn it back on the field

Archived