Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

On 12/21/2017 at 12:42 PM, grego said:

i read an article the other day where it said something like the brother admitted to smoking weed earlier.

here it is http://wjla.com/sports/content/redskins-sua-cravens-says-he-was-racially-profiled-during-traffic-stop-in-va-school-zone

"A sheriff's deputy says that Cravens' brother was in the car with him and admitted to smoking marijuana earlier."

now, what does he mean by 'earlier'.? 

(side note, i have been pulled over for speeding and put in a cruiser in cuffs for several minutes- all for driving on a suspended. and i've had my car searched for weed.)

Dude must be gettin' his weed from Cheech and Chong. Or maybe he smoked a giant one, like that one from the Mel Brooks' movie History of the World. And wait a minute.......what kind of hybrid officers do they have on that police force anyway? At 39 mph, the officer could smell weed that was smoked 'earlier'? Half beagle, half Colombo. Impressive.

• 1 month later...

ESPN's John Keim wrote "it's hard to see" S Su'a Cravens returning to the Redskins.

Cravens flirted with retirement last September before leaving the team and spending the season on the exempt/left squad list. Cravens' agent said the safety was suffering from post-concussion syndrome during that episode, but he has been medically cleared now and is "looking forward" to the 2018 season. Even so, Keim doubts Washington trusts Cravens enough to keep him around, and they have found a replacement in Montae Nicholson. A second-round picking in 2016, Cravens should draw interest if Washington puts him on the block.

Source: ESPN
Jan 23 - 10:05 AM

Guaranteed that we get fleeced in a trade (the Pats or Eagles would probably get 2 1sts for him) , but I guess something is better than nothing at this point...

3 minutes ago, carex said:

but he's shown himself to be unreliable.  Why should we assume keeping him on the roster means he would show up?

Give the kid another chance..he showed promise. Relegate him to 2nd or 3rd, and roll with him another year. We at least need some sort of depth that has a glimmer of promise

15 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Give the kid another chance..he showed promise. Relegate him to 2nd or 3rd, and roll with him another year. We at least need some sort of depth that has a glimmer of promise

At some point there needs to be a culture of accountability.  You leave your team in a lurch, you get a bus-ride to Topeka, Kansas.  

You've got to have accountability.  He screwed up.  He can fix it elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

At some point there needs to be a culture of accountability.  You leave your team in a lurch, you get a bus-ride to Topeka, Kansas.  

Ah..the battle cry of the people who have never screwed up and needed a second chance...

Wish I was that lucky to be perfect...

I have to believe that they would get next to nothing on the trade market so may as well hang on to him and see if he really has had a change of heart. There were flashes when he played so the talent is there. And he's young. And inexpensive.

37 minutes ago, DJD2 said:

I have to believe that they would get next to nothing on the trade market so may as well hang on to him and see if he really has had a change of heart. There were flashes when he played so the talent is there. And he's young. And inexpensive.

there's also a roster spot that can be given to people without history of walking out on their teams.  Also considering he was injured a good chunk of last preseason and he played ILB his rookie year he has never flashed at the position we want him to play

8 minutes ago, carex said:

there's also a roster spot that can be given to people without history of walking out on their teams.  Also considering he was injured a good chunk of last preseason and he played ILB his rookie year he has never flashed at the position we want him to play

They can carry 90 roster spots up until the regular season so it's not like he's stealing someone's spot, unless you are concerned about that 8th string TE that will be driving a FedEx truck when camp breaks. Keep him on the roster through minicamp, training camp and the pre-season. If he is worth keeping on the final 53 then great. If not, then great too.

28 minutes ago, DJD2 said:

They can carry 90 roster spots up until the regular season so it's not like he's stealing someone's spot, unless you are concerned about that 8th string TE that will be driving a FedEx truck when camp breaks. Keep him on the roster through minicamp, training camp and the pre-season. If he is worth keeping on the final 53 then great. If not, then great too.

nope I'm concerned that having a second round strong safety around will convince the Skins they don't need or can't afford to have another safety of that quality around, so he'll make the team because he's better than the seventh rounder or UDFA special teamer we also have at safety and then he'll check out again

3 hours ago, Xameil said:

Ah..the battle cry of the people who have never screwed up and needed a second chance...

Wish I was that lucky to be perfect...

I didn't say that Sua shouldn't get a second chance.  

I said that if you screw your employer, your second chance should be for another employer. 

And there are levels of screw ups. Ditching your team during training camp, the way he announced it via a group text to players, and all the rest of the drama...

He put his teammates and employer in a tough spot.  

So, I'm fine with him getting another chance.  Hope he gets his life together.  But not here.  If you poop on the team, you're out.  That's the way it's been in every company I've ever worked for.  And we hired plenty of folks who were on their second, third and fourth chances. 

Right. He has a right to his feelings about football and a right to an attempt at a 2nd shot, if someone wants him. But I don't see how you can see his comeback attempt as anything other than a realization that it's his best chance to make money--not a newly ignited passion for the game.

There's nothing wrong with being in the NFL for the money, because it's your best shot at getting and staying rich. I'm sure there are a lot more players than we realize that don't care that much about football outside it being their job--star players make so little money in the playoffs, compared to their regular season paycheck, that I bet there are lots of vets in the league who don't mind playing on bad teams and not taking the extra punishment those extra games entail. 

That's all fine if you're good enough to play, for most teams. But I don't think it's always fine if you're crawling back to the team who spent a high draft pick on you because you looked into their eyes and convinced them you loved football more than anything. 

He might be good enough to keep playing football at a professional level. Maybe our FO even gives him that chance. But I wouldn't blame them if he's tainted the relationship too much for that. 

Or maybe he was just in a weird place with his mental health and he really does care about football. Idk. I'm just basing this off of what we think we know about him. 

Until the next concussion happens, then its wash rinse repeat.

If he comes back to the Redskins and wants to play, then tell his agent the only contract he gets is a conditional contract, where he doesn't play 2 games then walks away again while getting paid in full.

But seeing how the FO works, they'll probably give him some huge contract and then get dry-****ed after 3 weeks.

7 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

If he comes back to the Redskins and wants to play, then tell his agent the only contract he gets is a conditional contract, where he doesn't play 2 games then walks away again while getting paid in full.

But seeing how the FO works, they'll probably give him some huge contract and then get dry-****ed after 3 weeks.

We still own his rights, he just didn't accrue a year. He'd just resume his rookie contract I think.

10 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

how about trying to make sure your Skins bashing lines up with possibilities?  He's still on his rookie deal, it can't be renegotiated

6 hours ago, Xameil said:

The way injuries occur on this team, we need to keep him in my opinion

I am gonna have to agree with this. He is on a rookie contract. There is really nothing to lose by stashing him on the roster. If he really decides he wants to play and pans out it is a bonus.

13 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Screwed up is unfair. He made a decisions about his health. It sucks from a fans, and maybe a teammates point of view but you can't fault a guy for thinking about his future when you have stories of guys like Kevin Turner and Junior Seau.. From the organizational perspective you can't rely on him returning, move on. If he does come back, we'll deal with it then..

12 hours ago, carex said:

how about trying to make sure your Skins bashing lines up with possibilities?  He's still on his rookie deal, it can't be renegotiated

How about try not being a jerk. Also, you ALWAYS begin a sentence with a capital letter. Proper grammar.

There is a timeline where if a player walks away or 'retires' from the NFL where the contract becomes void.

And yes, I'm well aware that he hasn't reached that point as of yet, but he still isn't officially back yet. Its his agent basically saying he is probably broke right now and needs to make some money.

12 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

We still own his rights, he just didn't accrue a year. He'd just resume his rookie contract I think.

In a situation like his, isn't it possible for the team to change or insert a stipulation on his contract? I didn't follow his issue, and I don't know whether he was paid for a full year or not, but the league has to have some form of protection for teams against players who leave then come back then claim similar issues and want to leave again.

5 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

How about try not being a jerk. Also, you ALWAYS begin a sentence with a capital letter. Proper grammar.

There is a timeline where if a player walks away or 'retires' from the NFL where the contract becomes void.

And yes, I'm well aware that he hasn't reached that point as of yet, but he still isn't officially back yet. Its his agent basically saying he is probably broke right now and needs to make some money.

In a situation like his, isn't it possible for the team to change or insert a stipulation on his contract? I didn't follow his issue, and I don't know whether he was paid for a full year or not, but the league has to have some form of protection for teams against players who leave then come back then claim similar issues and want to leave again.

no it's not.  Full length rookie contracts can't be tampered with for a number of years.  I think it's till after the third. 

Archived