Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

30 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Again I don't mean to sound insensitive but thousands of players have had personal issues. They didn't up and quit, then show up on the sidelines of their college team cheering like a madman.  No this sounds like a man who has run out of game check money. 

This about sums it up.  Not only that, but this team played in that stadium the very next day and he didn't even show up.

3 minutes ago, carex said:

if he wants to come back to football great, but I'd trade him?  Think we could get a third for him?  He's a second rounder only two years out of college.  I think someone would give up something

I doubt anyone would trade anything of significant value for a player that may not be committed to football.

I'd just bring him in and let him compete for a role.

3 minutes ago, Tay said:

I doubt anyone would trade anything of significant value for a player that may not be committed to football.

no, he lost his right to compete for the Skins.  For all we know he'd win a spot and then decide to flake out again.  Maybe we could get a conditional pick for next year

I completely forgot about Su'a until this thread was bumped.  This article from the Washington Post is/was a good read though.

“We have to go out and play with the players who want to play football,” the general manager said.

“We’re going to win without him,” the coach said.

“I regret sincerely [his decision to retire] — for his sake, for his teammates and for the Redskin fans,” the owner said.

“Football isn’t fun for me anymore,” the suddenly retired player said. “It would have been futile for me to play this season. This is really best for the team. If I had come in, and played without having my heart in it, it would have been very, very hard.”

No, not Su’a Cravens. Those quotes concerned one of the most popular players in Redskins franchise history — who managed to earn that honorific after he retired from the sport because his heart wasn’t in it.

Rest of the article can be read at this link:  Su'a Cravens doesn't owe you anything

51 minutes ago, carex said:

if he wants to come back to football great, but I'd trade him?  Think we could get a third for him?  He's a second rounder only two years out of college.  I think someone would give up something

He's not commanding a third, not after that epic flake-out. MAYBE a sixth. 

I say we give him another shot if he's willing. As long as the locker room is willing to accept him, we have nothing to lose. If he shows signs of the same behavior, you cut ties fast. This defense needs all the help it can get moving forward. If there's a chance he can help us, take it and see what happens. 

I'd roll with him on the roster until next season to see what he's got. If he's out of shape or gives reason to doubt him, cut/trade him before regular season. Otherwise, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, even if he did handle the whole situation poorly.

2 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

He's not commanding a third, not after that epic flake-out. MAYBE a sixth. 

I say we give him another shot if he's willing. As long as the locker room is willing to accept him, we have nothing to lose. If he shows signs of the same behavior, you cut ties fast. This defense needs all the help it can get moving forward. If there's a chance he can help us, take it and see what happens. 

actually we do have something o lose, unless we're happy with Everett and Nicholson at the spot and that the ability to upgrade

3 hours ago, Tay said:

Seriously... unless the locker room straight up rejects him, we can't really be choosy at personnel next year either.

3 hours ago, Tay said:

I know a team that traded Picks, Cap space and more for a QB that they cut a few months after (and everyone knew they would from the beginning!). So I wouldn't be surprised to see some teams eager to trade for him.

40 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I know a team that traded Picks, Cap space and more for a QB that they cut a few months after (and everyone knew they would from the beginning!). So I wouldn't be surprised to see some teams eager to trade for him.

his salary cap hit isn't enough for that to be likely

42 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

What situation was this? Are you talking about the Browns/Osweiler? If so, the Brown received a 2nd rounder in that deal to take on the cap hit on his contract.

17 minutes ago, Tay said:

What situation was this? Are you talking about the Browns/Osweiler? If so, the Brown received a 2nd rounder in that deal to take on the cap hit on his contract.

Actually I thought that was one of the few smart moves the Browns made, never understood the criticism.  They had the cap space and are now sitting on an additional 2nd.

1 hour ago, hawgboy said:

Seriously... unless the locker room straight up rejects him, we can't really be choosy at personnel next year either.

Don't you think it's dangerous to go to battle with someone who is not all in?  When things get tough this guy will just go through the motions even if the locker room accepts him back.

23 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Don't you think it's dangerous to go to battle with someone who is not all in?  When things get tough this guy will just go through the motions even if the locker room accepts him back.

If he performs well in camp and really seems to have turned things around, I'd keep him on the roster with the knowledge that he's not starting until he's got at least a full year of rebuilt trust under his belt. If he doesn't like that, that right there would show that he's not worth keeping around. Players will know pretty fast if he's just going through the motions (just like Compton knew last year). You can't fake it in the NFL. That's why I don't think it's a big gamble to give him another shot to prove his intentions. If he fails again, you're prepared for it this time. If he proves he can be a productive player, bonus. He's just going to have to understand that he's going to have to work doubly hard to regain that trust and that nothing's just going to be handed to him because of what he says. 

7 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

If he performs well in camp and really seems to have turned things around, I'd keep him on the roster with the knowledge that he's not starting until he's got at least a full year of rebuilt trust under his belt. If he doesn't like that, that right there would show that he's not worth keeping around. Players will know pretty fast if he's just going through the motions (just like Compton knew last year). You can't fake it in the NFL. That's why I don't think it's a big gamble to give him another shot to prove his intentions. If he fails again, you're prepared for it this time. If he proves he can be a productive player, bonus. He's just going to have to understand that he's going to have to work doubly hard to regain that trust and that nothing's just going to be handed to him because of what he says. 

Yeah I buy that, good take. 

Just now, NickyJ said:

I'd roll with him on the roster until next season to see what he's got. If he's out of shape or gives reason to doubt him, cut/trade him before regular season. Otherwise, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, even if he did handle the whole situation poorly.

Yes and remember that just because someone finishes college and makes a ton of money in their first 2 years working does not make them mature and immune to making mistakes. We all made stupid mistakes when we were young. If he was a 6th rounder I may not waste any time on him but a 2nd? Think we should give him another chance.

17 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Actually I thought that was one of the few smart moves the Browns made, never understood the criticism.  They had the cap space and are now sitting on an additional 2nd.

Well some (not necessarily me) people are accusing the team of doing that very thing right now so I don't see that being a deal breaker. And, as someone else posted earlier, St Diesel ran pretty much the same play with the only difference being that St Joe himself went on a pilgrimage to get him back.

I'm not trying to say you're "wrong", and I admit that most of my way of viewing this comes from wanting this guy to turn into something serviceable so that hes not yet another draft day fumble. HTTR

32 minutes ago, hawgboy said:

Well some (not necessarily me) people are accusing the team of doing that very thing right now so I don't see that being a deal breaker. And, as someone else posted earlier, St Diesel ran pretty much the same play with the only difference being that St Joe himself went on a pilgrimage to get him back.

I'm not trying to say you're "wrong", and I admit that most of my way of viewing this comes from wanting this guy to turn into something serviceable so that hes not yet another draft day fumble. HTTR

Yeah I remember when Riggo did that, always surprised me how fans forgave him so quickly. And that was before he blew up in the playoffs.  But that was also a contract issue and even back then we all knew it was a business. That's different than hearing a guy talk to a teammate after practice like he had just finished a shift in the coal mine.  Then he just quits right before the season and is later seen on the USC sidelines but could not be bothered to show for his team in the same stadium the next day..

I just see them as different 

The best thing for the Redskins is to let him compete for a spot or don't play. It's that simple. No one is going to offer anything in a trade for a guy who quit on the team and quit in college. Cravens probably saw his bank account dwindling and decided he better get his ass back on the field. Plus the guy really doesn't have a position. If Monte ever can ever stay healthy he looks like the starter at SS. He looks like a better player than Cravens. 

57 minutes ago, Alexa said:

The best thing for the Redskins is to let him compete for a spot or don't play. It's that simple. No one is going to offer anything in a trade for a guy who quit on the team and quit in college. Cravens probably saw his bank account dwindling and decided he better get his ass back on the field. Plus the guy really doesn't have a position. If Monte ever can ever stay healthy he looks like the starter at SS. He looks like a better player than Cravens. 

I'm excited for Nicholson.  I am half in the camp of letting Cravens compete, but he did that this past year and then bailed twenty minutes before kickoff.  I just don't trust the guy.

I would want him to talk to someone first before we even thought about bringing him back in.  Like a psychologist or something to see what is going on in his head.  Also, need to get the pulse of the locker room on it. 

I could see someone giving a conditional 6th or so for him.  Conditions being he plays well and doesn't quit again.

Archived