Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

20 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not putting a bow on anything. 

I'll tell you exactly what this smells like.

Jealousy.

Out and out, pure jealousy.  

Jealousy from a group of adults who'd kill to play football in the NFL and do it for free.  

It's time to put the bottle down.

Speaking only for myself, I have absolutely no desire to play in the NFL and/or live in the public eye.  I'm not jealous of Cravens in any capacity.  I don't envy him in any way.  I'm of the belief he'll see this as a huge mistake if he hasn't already.  There's nothing worse than doing something avoidable and stupid on a whim, paying the price for it, and thinking back on what a dumbass you were.  If he really, truly wanted to walk away from this game for any reason, that's his right.  Sometimes you don't love what you're good at. But what little bit of information we have points to something else.  Most all reports point to a guy that loves football.  If the rumors have any truth to them, he acted like an entitled punk in regards to his latest injury.  He pulled this retirement stunt and the team called him on it.  

I would have more respect for him if he actually is dealing with demons, never really loved/stopped loving football, freaked out by injuries, etc. and truly wanted to retire and move on with his life doing whatever else.  But this situation has never smelled like that to me. 

Personally, this whole situation is interesting because the layers involved.  I do admit to being conflicted about it (as a fan).  But in truth, it is his life to live.  I don't give him a thumbs up; I don't give him a thumbs down. 

I tried to objectively dissect these circumstances as I understand them in this post.  What I will say is I think The Team made a wise decision in shutting him down for the season.  To me, this is something to handle when there isn't a weekly preparation to tend to.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Alright, the onus is on you to prove how valuable those reps are since this seems to be a major sticking point for you.  What's the extent of the trickle down effect?  How far behind is Deshazor Everett to be at replacement level to Su'a Cravens?  Disrespectful to guys who don't have jobs because they weren't able to get enough reps to have enough tape for other teams to sign them?  Really?  Where's the evidence?

I could pull so many articles that constantly comment on how valuable training camp and preseason reps are for young players, especially those who are fringe or tryout guys. More often than not, undrafted free agents get one shot with the team they sign with. There are no re-dos If they find out that they made a bad choice on which team they sign with if they got less reps than they thought were going to be available. The league doesnt care. Its cutthroat. 

If a player doesnt impress enough to make the team they are playing on during the preseason, their only remaining hope is putting enough good reps on film to warrant another team giving them a shot on their 53 or practice squad. Said reps are limited and teams often dont have enough to go around, especially if they have a lot of bodies in one position group.

The trickle down effect is obvious, simple really. The earlier Su'a informs the team of his decision, the sooner the team and teammates begin preparing with Deshazor as the starter. We kept 5 safeties on the 53, and one on the practice squad. Who those players are that were most effected is impossible to know, and my list was more to show how many people were possibly effected by such selfishness on Cravens behalf. We wont know who could have impressed with more playing time and altered decisions the team made of who how many safeties were kept... or who could have made a better resume of game tape for themselves and caught on with another team. Wanna take a wild guess on why we will never know? Su'a freaking Cravens.

You dont/shouldnt need specific evidence to know that something is dead wrong to do. Its called principle. Not to mention arguing the importance of reps is a pretty asinine exercise. 

How are you even defending that his actions didnt effect anyone or anything besides himself? Put yourself in the shoes of any of those safeties that were behind Su'a on the depth chart, we can use Everett as the example. You overcame being asked to switch positions from corner to safety to crack the roster last year, put in all the work you can including playing on every special teams unit just so you can give yourself the best chance at making the squad. You made plays seemingly every time the coaches put him in the game late last year, and you feel you deserve the chance for training camp to at least be an open position battle between you Su'a and others, you at least earned the opportunity for Su'a to win the position outright considering you played more snaps there than he did. nope... Su'a gets penciled in over you and you get your reps either with the replacement units or via you taking mental reps every time Su'a is on the field (where you feel you should be). He then waits until finals cuts to leave the team, after you had to say goodbye to your best friend in training camp that was cut, who you honestly felt was super talented but just couldnt get on the field to show coach because of the numbers game.

Have I made the point yet? 

Cahoots with USC to keep his previous stints of quitting on his teammates under wraps so it wouldn't negatively impact his draft status?  Can we call it Su'aGate?  I mean, why would USC even do anything like that, what are they to gain from it?  Where's your evidence?  

It came out for the first time that he quit on his team at USC in similar fashion as hes doing now shortly after the news originally broke. Do you think that might have changed our scouting departments minds a little bit about a player who they thought loved football? And if you have to ask why USC would do that for its players you must not understand how recruiting works or how dirty college football is with secrets like this. Its in USCs best interest for Cravens to get drafted as high as possible. You're naive if you think Su'a and USC wouldnt lie about it just because its wrong.

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

...at the end of the day I could really give a **** about it at all as it doesn't impact my life, nor do I feel it's my place to tell another person how they should feel or handle situations.  

Again, the point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't impact you directly or me or any other fan other than not rooting for him on game day because he isn't there.  And that I think some people on here and in other social media platforms (without naming specific posters, general comments) were acting childish about it and that it was pathetic, again IMO (and was referencing those with really harsh hatred at the guy).  

Its not about impacting any of our lives. It impacts the football team we are fans of and are members of a message board to discuss.

Its added drama and unwanted attention for a team that gets plenty of that on its own. Its a draft pick that could have been used on a different player, one that actually wants to play football. Its so much that you are acting like is no big deal because "people quit all the time"

Just ask the 49ers fans how quickly players quitting can implode your entire team. Its a way bigger deal than you are leading on.

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's time to put the bottle down.

Speaking only for myself, I have absolutely no desire to play in the NFL and/or live in the public eye.  I'm not jealous of Cravens in any capacity.  I don't envy him in any way.  I'm of the belief he'll see this as a huge mistake if he hasn't already.  There's nothing worse than doing something avoidable and stupid on a whim, paying the price for it, and thinking back on what a dumbass you were.  If he really, truly wanted to walk away from this game for any reason, that's his right.  Sometimes you don't love what you're good at. But what little bit of information we have points to something else.  Most all reports point to a guy that loves football.  If the rumors have any truth to them, he acted like an entitled punk in regards to his latest injury.  He pulled this retirement stunt and the team called him on it.  

I would have more respect for him if he actually is dealing with demons, never really loved/stopped loving football, freaked out by injuries, etc. and truly wanted to retire and move on with his life doing whatever else.  But this situation has never smelled like that to me. 

Just drinking straight ice water, baby.

I didn't aim it at you, for the record.  My gut feeling is when sports fans get outraged and irate at something as trivial as this situation, it's jealousy.  Jealous not only because of the NFL/money/fame aspect but jealous because they don't have many opportunities in their own life to call their own shots.  Su'a Cravens, if he never plays another down in the NFL, probably will be ok for the rest of his life.  He's 22, should have some good money in the bank and the rest of his life ahead of him.  He's got enough runway ahead of him to really set himself up nicely for the rest of his life when a lot of people at 22 don't have financial freedom and have limited options.

Most people can't quit a job on a whim without having another one lined up.  Most people can't be as cavalier with their actions because they need that paycheck since they have a family to support and bills and loans to pay off.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing or a wrong thing, that's just a very real situation that people find themselves in.  So I believe when someone who's working class and grinds it out each day sees someone who's young, talented and in a spot that most people could only dream of, flip the bird at it and walk away...well, jealousy.  

You are right, there's nothing worse than doing something avoidable and stupid on a whim and paying the price for it and seeing what a dumbass you were.  But you and I can't do the hand wringing for him, he's made his own choices.  Maybe he learns from it, maybe he doesn't, I really don't care.  However, if he's an entitled punk, he's an entitled punk and the Skins are probably better off without him.  

4 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I could pull so many articles that constantly comment on how valuable training camp and preseason reps are for young players, especially those who are fringe or tryout guys. More often than not, undrafted free agents get one shot with the team they sign with. There are no re-dos If they find out that they made a bad choice on which team they sign with if they got less reps than they thought were going to be available. The league doesnt care. Its cutthroat. 

If a player doesnt impress enough to make the team they are playing on during the preseason, their only remaining hope is putting enough good reps on film to warrant another team giving them a shot on their 53 or practice squad. Said reps are limited and teams often dont have enough to go around, especially if they have a lot of bodies in one position group.

The trickle down effect is obvious, simple really. The earlier Su'a informs the team of his decision, the sooner the team and teammates begin preparing with Deshazor as the starter. We kept 5 safeties on the 53, and one on the practice squad. Who those players are that were most effected is impossible to know, and my list was more to show how many people were possibly effected by such selfishness on Cravens behalf. We wont know who could have impressed with more playing time and altered decisions the team made of who how many safeties were kept... or who could have made a better resume of game tape for themselves and caught on with another team. Wanna take a wild guess on why we will never know? Su'a freaking Cravens.

You dont/shouldnt need specific evidence to know that something is dead wrong to do. Its called principle. Not to mention arguing the importance of reps is a pretty asinine exercise. 

How are you even defending that his actions didnt effect anyone or anything besides himself? Put yourself in the shoes of any of those safeties that were behind Su'a on the depth chart, we can use Everett as the example. You overcame being asked to switch positions from corner to safety to crack the roster last year, put in all the work you can including playing on every special teams unit just so you can give yourself the best chance at making the squad. You made plays seemingly every time the coaches put him in the game late last year, and you feel you deserve the chance for training camp to at least be an open position battle between you Su'a and others, you at least earned the opportunity for Su'a to win the position outright considering you played more snaps there than he did. nope... Su'a gets penciled in over you and you get your reps either with the replacement units or via you taking mental reps every time Su'a is on the field (where you feel you should be). He then waits until finals cuts to leave the team, after you had to say goodbye to your best friend in training camp that was cut, who you honestly felt was super talented but just couldnt get on the field to show coach because of the numbers game.

Have I made the point yet? 

It came out for the first time that he quit on his team at USC in similar fashion as hes doing now shortly after the news originally broke. Do you think that might have changed our scouting departments minds a little bit about a player who they thought loved football? And if you have to ask why USC would do that for its players you must not understand how recruiting works or how dirty college football is with secrets like this. Its in USCs best interest for Cravens to get drafted as high as possible. You're naive if you think Su'a and USC wouldnt lie about it just because its wrong.

Sure, pull all the articles you want.

You seem to be really hung up on the fringe guy aspect here, how Cravens just screwed someone out of a possible position on an NFL squad or a practice squad.  IMO, that's a pipe dream to begin with.  While most of your points are valid, you still can't prove if Fish Smithson would be here if Cravens quit in June instead of September.  There's no way to know, which you admitted yourself, so I'm not sure what we're quibbling about here.  And while you give the warm and fuzzies about best friends in training camp, principles and how Cravens should have been thinking about everyone BUT himself and put everyone else in the building before him, that's not living in reality.  People who quit jobs, either from the NFL to an assembly line worker in the midwest are making decisions for themselves and it's about their personal needs, wants and timelines.  I'm not sure why you're lamenting what 3rd string safety could have got more game tape against 3rd string offenses because you defeat your own arguments when you say it's a cutthroat league.  Everyone involved knows that and I think you're the only one who's upset about it.  Hell, Deshazor was an UDFA, do you want to talk to him about what a cutthroat league this is?

Know why I don't feel sorry for Deshazor?  Because he's played in more NFL games than Su'a Cravens has.  He's actually got more experience than Cravens.  He's been on the team since 2015 and has played in 29 NFL games.  He's been preparing since 2015 for a shot at a starter role and if he's kept his head down, worked hard throughout offseasons, mini camps and training camps, he's ready to go.  I asked what's the drop-off between Cravens and Everett and you're still talking to me about training camp reps when a 20 second google search would tell you all that you need to know about what impact this has on the team from an experience perspective.  Deshazor, the UDFA is stepping up to take the place of a crybaby 2nd round draft pick.  The team and talent evaluators obviously feel comfortable with his performance and what he brings to the table because they haven't been scrambling to bring in a scrap heap FA like Donte Whitner or Will Blackmon back in here (even though Blackmon was a FS, I'm not sure if he could play SS).  

You still have no proof that Su'aGate existed.  I might agree with you if he was coming out of a school where that was trying to become established as a football factory for the NFL but USC has been sending guys to the NFL for decades and will continue to do so.  USC's reputation as a football factory for the NFL doesn't rest on the shoulders of Su'a Cravens and where he got drafted.  Even if Su'aGate did happen, why would USC risk tarnishing it's reputation (a reputation they're trying to polish after NCAA infractions) by lying to NFL teams about how good of a guy Su'a Cravens is so he can get drafted higher?  

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Even if Su'aGate did happen, why would USC risk tarnishing it's reputation (a reputation they're trying to polish after NCAA infractions) by lying to NFL teams about how good of a guy Su'a Cravens is so he can get drafted higher?  

'Cuz they have a record of trying shady **** and it's in their nature? Kinda like most people, sketchy AF until they're caught, find religion if they get convicted but go right back to it if acquitted? Just a guess.............

Bottom line, Sua ****ed us, argue 'til the cows come home but he ****ed the team and his teammates

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Sure, pull all the articles you want.

You seem to be really hung up on the fringe guy aspect here, how Cravens just screwed someone out of a possible position on an NFL squad or a practice squad.  IMO, that's a pipe dream to begin with. 

It's an interesting point though. Those fringe Cinderellas get very few snaps in which to shine. They need to flash on five snaps where starters get a hundred and backups fifty. So, would a UDFA have gotten a dozen more snaps if Cravens had never hit the off season practice field? Would the coaches have looked a little harder at Joe Nobody knowing they might have one more slot to fill?

Even though Cravens was "injured" through much of camp everyone knew that he had a roster slot locked down. How did that effect evaluations and the degree of attention other guys got? 

It probably made no difference ultimately, except we have had a number of UDFAs break through.

@Spaceman Spiff

Im done arguing over things so insignificant. You're right, Su'a shouldnt have thought of anyone else when acting the way he did.

Youre fine with a selfish player occupying a roster spot and taking precious reps from players who were more deserving, worked harder, and actually care about their teammates who are trying to establish a culture and mentality as a unit this year.

I don't want any selfish player being a distraction to the team I root for, and I certainly don't want my kids thinking its ok to do what he did.  His teammates were working hard in practice while he was goofing off on the sidelines at a USC game yet didnt show up to support his own team playing in the same city the next day. Hes a joke and so is anyone who excuses his behavior, never going to change my opinion on that unless I see a report that his reasons were legitimate (be it a serious personal or family issue, but im willing to bet good money neither were the case in this situation).

You think its completely ok for him to want to follow his own rules, and we will never agree.

16 minutes ago, Burgold said:

It's an interesting point though. Those fringe Cinderellas get very few snaps in which to shine. They need to flash on five snaps where starters get a hundred and backups fifty. So, would a UDFA have gotten a dozen more snaps if Cravens had never hit the off season practice field? Would the coaches have looked a little harder at Joe Nobody knowing they might have one more slot to fill?

Even though Cravens was "injured" through much of camp everyone knew that he had a roster slot locked down. How did that effect evaluations and the degree of attention other guys got? 

It probably made no difference ultimately, except we have had a number of UDFAs break through.

You're right, it is an interesting point but there's no way to tell.  But to want to slam Cravens for not thinking about those guys is silly, and, IMO, not living in reality.  

But as it stands right now, it looks like a fringe Cinderella might get a shot anyway, I think I saw somewhere that Smithson is getting looked at again.  

15 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

@Spaceman Spiff

Im done arguing over things so insignificant. You're right, Su'a shouldnt have thought of anyone else when acting the way he did.

Youre fine with a selfish player occupying a roster spot and taking precious reps from players who were more deserving, worked harder, and actually care about their teammates who are trying to establish a culture and mentality as a unit this year.

I don't want any selfish player being a distraction to the team I root for, and I certainly don't want my kids thinking its ok to do what he did.  His teammates were working hard in practice while he was goofing off on the sidelines at a USC game yet didnt show up to support his own team playing in the same city the next day. Hes a joke and so is anyone who excuses his behavior, never going to change my opinion on that unless I see a report that his reasons were legitimate (be it a serious personal or family issue, but im willing to bet good money neither were the case in this situation).

You think its completely ok for him to want to follow his own rules, and we will never agree.

Well at least you can finally admit that they're insignificant.

It's a job.  It's a league where contracts and salaries aren't guaranteed.  Make no mistake, while these guys are teammates and look out for each other on the field and in the locker room, there isn't a single one of them that wouldn't look out for #1 when given the opportunity to do so.  You call it selfish, I call it reality.  

But then you call him a distraction yet blast him for not showing up to the sideline on Sunday?  Pretty sure he'd be more of a distraction if he was on the sidelines, right? 

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

My gut feeling is when sports fans get outraged and irate at something as trivial as this situation, it's jealousy.  Jealous not only because of the NFL/money/fame aspect but jealous because they don't have many opportunities in their own life to call their own shots.  Su'a Cravens, if he never plays another down in the NFL, probably will be ok for the rest of his life.  He's 22, should have some good money in the bank and the rest of his life ahead of him.  He's got enough runway ahead of him to really set himself up nicely for the rest of his life when a lot of people at 22 don't have financial freedom and have limited options.

Su'a was only a 2nd round pick that played one season.  It's nothing to sneeze at obviously, but the entire point from a financial perspective in the NFL is to get that big 2nd contract, even a 3rd if you're lucky. He's not set for life, especially if the reports are correct that he's spent a bunch of that money buying his parents a house and cars. 

As you said earlier in this thread, he's basically a nobody that did little of anything in the NFL.  I just don't see much to be jealous of.  If this guy was on another team we wouldn't even care to speak about his situation, in fact - I don't think he'd be worthy of his own thread in the Around the NFL forum.  I think most of the disdain and vitriol coming his way from the fanbase is due to the fact that we wasted a 2nd round pick and we've got nothing better to do than pile on at this point.  I'm sure most everyone will be over talking about this in a few days.

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Su'a was only a 2nd round pick that played one season.  It's nothing to sneeze at obviously, but the entire point from a financial perspective in the NFL is to get that big 2nd contract, even a 3rd if you're lucky. He's not set for life, especially if the reports are correct that he's spent a bunch of that money buying his parents a house and cars. 

As you said earlier in this thread, he's basically a nobody that did little of anything in the NFL.  I just don't see much to be jealous of.  If this guy was on another team we wouldn't even care to speak about his situation, in fact - I don't think he'd be worthy of his own thread in the Around the NFL forum.  I think most of the disdain and vitriol coming his way from the fanbase is due to the fact that we wasted a 2nd round pick and we've got nothing better to do than pile on at this point.  I'm sure most everyone will be over talking about this in a few days.

Right, which is why I said he's probably ok for the rest of his life.  He should have good (not great) money in the bank, enough to live on, do what he wants, take some risks and figure out the rest of his life.  Sure he can end up being a sandwich artist at Subway but I doubt that'll happen.  He can probably get a cushy job at USC.  

And you're exactly right, if he was on another team we wouldn't be talking about this.  Which is why I find it odd that so many people are blowing this out of proportion, "he screwed the team, he screwed the fans, he screwed everybody..."  I don't think anyone outside of the fanbase really cares.  As I said earlier, I doubt Josh Norman and Ryan Kerrigan are freaking out over this and wondering how a team can overcome losing a 2nd round pick.  And you're right, we won't be talking about this in a few weeks and no one's gonna miss this guy or think our defense lost a key contributor.

He is a gangsta. First he's gonna quit, then he's gonna Sue'ah you and Sue'ah them and Sue'ah everybody! JK

Seriously though, who cares? We need to be getting on to this weeks game Sunday Night and not worry about this fool. Sue'ah doesn't care about the team or anyone else but himself. If you invested in him as a fan sorry for the bad news but as talented as he was on the field nothing measures how talented he is up top. If you didn't then you probably already know he's just a headcase the team doesn't need and forget him.

Let him retire its his right. Employment with the Redskins or any NFL team is not a right it is a privilege and he ruined that for himself.  Now it's onto mediation when he and his lawyer will sue to keep the million bucks he owes the team back. If I was the Redskins I'd offer him a generous deal of being able to keep 25% of what he owes to shut his crazy ass up paying back the 75% and to just go away to end this story or I'm throwing the billion dollar team of lawyers at him and force him to pay it all back or declare bankruptcy. Who cares what happens?

Either way this has nothing to do with the product they put on the field and just ends up being another ****ty draft pick that Scott M. made while here. When are people here going to wake up and realize that Scott M. was more hype then substance and didn't come as advertised either? The only thing that matters is coming up with a game plan to stay competitive with the Raiders Sunday night. 

58 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

@Spaceman Spiff

I am usually in alignment with your thoughts but I am sorry I see this as is a serious over-reaction. The young man is clearly dealing with some issues. So he took a roster spot for some time. Someone will now get that roster spot. Maybe he wasn't sure until later. Maybe there are things going on in his life you and I know nothing about (that was rhetorical). But to talk about him being selfish and assuming he just doesn't care about anything but himself is a huge leap with no real data other than your own irritation about the impact on the team - which to be quite honest is negligible. It's not like he made great5 contributions last year, nor would a fringe player making the roster just barely be expected to make much impact.

As a fan, sure it would have been nice if he left earlier. But he didn't. As a person let him go and deal with his issues. No reason to kick the guy on the way out. It's not like he bat his girlfriend, ran over someone with a car, did PEDs or smoked a bunch of pot - all things that take players off rosters leaving holes and that fans seem to find a way to forgive. Yet a guy has some personal problems that result in some less than fortunate timing and he is the devil's spawn.

Isn't just better he move on now instead of taking up a roster spot all year giving 50% effort? Just be glad he is gone and he and the team can move forward. Not sure I understand all the vitriol.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Right, which is why I said he's probably ok for the rest of his life.  He should have good (not great) money in the bank, enough to live on, do what he wants, take some risks and figure out the rest of his life.  

Does he not have to pay back the 1.2 Mill pro-rated amount on his signing bonus?  I'd read that's how the collective bargaining agreement reads.  Have the Skins decided not to pursue it?

6 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Does he not have to pay back the 1.2 Mill pro-rated amount on his signing bonus?  I'd read that's how the collective bargaining agreement reads.  Have the Skins decided not to pursue it?

I've read the same.  However, it's kind of a moot point right now because he hasn't retired.  I can't imagine a scenario where they don't pursue it in the event he does though.

33 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

No idea.  Not to be flippant, I honestly don't care, it's his issue that he has to take care of.

8 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Its not about impacting any of our lives. It impacts the football team we are fans of and are members of a message board to discuss.

Its added drama and unwanted attention for a team that gets plenty of that on its own. Its a draft pick that could have been used on a different player, one that actually wants to play football. Its so much that you are acting like is no big deal because "people quit all the time"

Just ask the 49ers fans how quickly players quitting can implode your entire team. Its a way bigger deal than you are leading on.

I'm no less of a fan than anyone on this board or for the team.  Yes, it impacts our team, though one can argue (and I'm not going to as it would be only a repeat of points already argued on this topic) that some are making it out to be a catastrophic event that will doom the team for years to come.  When it's really just one 2nd year player, who missed 5 games last year and basically the entire preseason and reps in practice this year making a decision to quit.  I don't think the team is going to suffer that much without him. 

I actually think based off what we have read that the team is better off without him as he can't give 100% (for whatever the reason is) and that is a liability for the team (blowing coverage, missing tackles, bad angles, etc.) and his future health (gotta have both your mind and heart in it 100% or you could make mistakes that get you injured).  

I also wish you would quit trying to twist my words and try to make me out as someone who thinks it's fine for people to quit their jobs all the time.  That is not the case at all as I've stated multiple times in this thread.  Hard work and a good work ethic is something I was raised with (as was my wife) and is also how we are raising our daughter.  But at the same time when it comes to other people making a decision about their life, career, etc., I do not feel the need to slam them and go overboard with harsh comments, etc.  

Just like every other young adult/adult, Su'a has to make his own decisions and live with the consequences of his actions.  Which at the end of the day he will.  Just because I would like to think that if in his shoes I'd have handled it differently, doesn't mean that I need to over-react to the point of name calling, slamming him, etc. at the level of hate he is receiving from some.  Like I said, it slightly pissed me off when I heard about it,  I dropped a few F-Bombs when talking to the wife, was disappointed because he was our starting safety and would need to be replaced.  That was it and I moved on.  Talking about 2-3 mins total.

I just think some are way over-reacting to the situation.  

Cravens is on a rookie deal.  He's far from set for the rest of his life with his NFL money. 

"While on the reserve/left squad list, Cravens will not receive the salary owed to him. He was entering the second year of a four-year deal that paid him roughly $1 million per season.  If Cravens ultimately decides to retire, he will have to repay the team three-fourths of the $1 million signing bonus he signed as a rookie."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/09/18/redskins-announce-sua-cravens-will-not-return-to-the-team-in-2017/?utm_term=.39f7f097588a

22 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Explain to me why this is a big deal.   My answer to you will be in what I already wrote.

To recap:  He's not that good and his replacement can be found easily.  They're professionals and understand this is a business.  Draft picks don't work out all the time for a myriad of reasons.

It's very simple.  Good teams are built through the draft. That is what separates the Stealers from your Washington Redskins.  Teams simply can not afford to spend a 2nd round pick on a player who simply walks away, it kills their ability to obtain and develop a talented roster. 

And for him to go through camp and then quit a week before the opener is simply bush league in so many ways.  Puzzling you don't understand that.

How long to the Redskins retain his rights? What if he has a change of heart once the money runs out and wants to sign with Dallas?

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It's very simple.  Good teams are built through the draft. That is what separates the Stealers from your Washington Redskins.  Teams simply can not afford to spend a 2nd round pick on a player who simply walks away, it kills their ability to obtain and develop a talented roster. 

And for him to go through camp and then quit a week before the opener is simply bush league in so many ways.  Puzzling you don't understand that.

How long to the Redskins retain his rights? What if he has a change of heart once the money runs out and wants to sign with Dallas?

You're right, good teams are built through the draft, but one draft pick walking away isn't going to kill a franchise, unless you traded multiple picks to get up and select a QB.  You'd be correct if multiple players walked away, that would REALLY kill their ability to obtain and develop a talented roster. 

Puzzling you don't understand that Su'a Cravens wasn't a lynchpin for any part of this team.  Oh my god, what if he goes to Dallas?  WHAT IF HE GOES TO DALLAS???  What if Su'a Cravens goes to Dallas, how will we cope??  OH MY GOD THE HORROR!!  THE POWER OF THE NFC EAST WILL HAVE SWUNG COMPLETELY TO DALLAS!  They'll be contenders for the next 5-10 years.  Best safety ever.  

Archived