Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

6 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

This is a kid who has an unhealthy appetite for likes and attention on social media. After his snapchat video informing us that he felt he didnt need to explain himself, he then proceeded to re-snap dozens of direct messages from his "true" fans that were basically excusing the behavior and other ego-boosting statements. There was a theme of him paying special attention to the snaps of those who told him to "ignore/F-the haters".

He disrespected the team, teammates, and fanbase and doesnt care. What I was trying to say is those who are running to his defense and blowing him up with love and support are the ones reinforcing his behavior, because he obviously reads and cares about what people say on social media, way more than a professional should. He doesnt deserve the satisfaction of people supporting him after acting the way he did, and my post was simply expressing my distaste for those who are.

I hate to break it to you, but all athletes have an unhealthy appetite for likes and attention on social media.  Why do they all have social media accounts in the first place?  

And he doesn't need to explain himself to me or you.  We don't cut his checks.  We're not his employer.  Personally, I don't care why he's quitting, it doesn't make a bit of difference to me.  

I don't really see this as any different than any professional athlete with a snapchat/twitter/instagram account, which almost all of them have.  People are going to flock to those who aren't hating their decisions.  What would you have him do instead, take time to respond to the "haters" and try to talk to them and explain what he's doing?  That's not living in reality.  

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  I don't see how he disrespected the team, teammates and fanbase.  This is a guy who quit a job.  Albeit a highly public, well paying job, but still a job.  Now Lawrence Timmons, on the other hand, completely disrespected the Dolphins team and fanbase.  

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I said that regardless of why he made a decision to quit really doesn't matter.  It's his life and career to do what he wants to.  And some of the harsh criticism that I have read on here and on social media is pathetic, again, imo. 

The reasons why he quit absolutely matter. And thats what makes this situation even worse. Can you remember a player who has retired or quit that didn't release or have his agent release a statement on situation? Multiple beat guys said on the radio today that its very strange that there has been radio silence from Cravens on the matter. But I dont expect the coward to release anything because like I said, I think he prefers the drama of the speculation.

And if it was because of the past injuries and current one that forced his decision, who are you to judge someone so harshly for making that decision?  It's his body and life, not yours.  But I guess it's easy to sit back on your sofa and call him weak and tell him that he's over-reacting because YOU think his injuries are nothing to get upset over.  Grow up...

...I could care less how Junior Gallete feels about this,

Thats exactly the issue. Since we have been given zero clarity on the reasons behind all this, what myself and others are left to go on were his actions before and following his departure. HE painted himself in this light, im just voicing my opinion on what he has shown us. And I am grown thank you very much...but I guess its also easy to sit back on your sofa and try and turn this into an attack on MY character. I get up and handle my responsibilities unlike Su'a and refuse to not voice my opinion about having to raise my kids in a society that wants to coddle everyone and hand out participation trophys, tell people that quitting without 2 weeks notice is just fine if it makes you happy. 

And yes, If the reason he quit was his most recent injury it does look weak. Not going to apologize for that.

What I was trying to point out is that the attitude of the fanbase would have been a whole hell of a lot different if this was Galette who decided to walk away from the game after a second achilles tear that ends a season. 2 straight years of rehab takes mental toughness. Su'a was gonna miss what, a month tops? If you don't think that this didnt sit well with players in the locker room I don't know what to tell you. Because I can promise you what was said about it behind those closed doors was a whole hell of a lot more harsh than the PC statements they gave to the media about it. I mean if it got to the point where a team captain was already pulling him aside in practice, people were already growing tired and aggravated about it, just imagine adding an abrupt quit and them finding out via a cowardly text message.

it's completely irrelevant since we don't the exact reason he decided to walk away from an NFL career. I'm just saying, some of y'all need to just let it go, it's over and done with.

And until we do? People are going to discuss it on a MESSAGE BOARD, in the thread created for the SPECIFIC TOPIC of Su'a Cravens quitting. If you think people are dragging on discussion too long about news that officially broke all of 24 hours ago there are plenty of other threads you could check out, bud. 

26 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  I don't see how he disrespected the team, teammates and fanbase.  This is a guy who quit a job.  Albeit a highly public, well paying job, but still a job.  Now Lawrence Timmons, on the other hand, completely disrespected the Dolphins team and fanbase.  

I would call letting a team draft you in the 2nd round to then calling out the fanbase, to then quitting just before the start of your second season, when you are supposed to be a starter, disrespectful.  The team lost a high pick on him.  The fanbase paid money for his jerseys.  His teamates now have to get another starting safety who DIDNT get reps in practice.

He made $600k, enough to set himself up for a long time, and then quit.  

39 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

But as a fan, do you really want him to continue playing if his heart isn't in it anymore?  And just going through the motions to get by?  I don't. 

I didnt either. Which is why I was happy when the team shut him down for the year.

All the hate is just silly and pathetic (and by pathetic, I'm talking about the extreme hate I've read towards the guy, not just regular frustration).  Team moved on, Su'a moved on, time for us fans to move on.  

Except the thing is: the team just moved on yesterday. And moved on just for this year. It will most definitely be re-visited in the offseason.

As for Su'a, from all accounts he was going to try and return this week before the team nipped it in the bud because it was clearly a team distraction coming in like a freight train. 

It also sounds like there is potential for Su'a to make some noise legally over this and it remains to be seen what he is going to have to pay the team back.

Unfortunately for you, there are still elements of this to be discussed including developments that are still ongoing. Sorry you dont get to dictate what people deem discussion worthy around here?

1 minute ago, Peregrine said:

I would call letting a team draft you in the 2nd round to then calling out the fanbase, to then quitting just before the start of your second season, when you are supposed to be a starter, disrespectful.  The team lost a high pick on him.  The fanbase paid money for his jerseys.  His teamates now have to get another starting safety who DIDNT get reps in practice.

He made $600k, enough to set himself up for a long time, and then quit.  

What if he wasn't supposed to be a starter?  Would that be less disrespectful?   When should he have quit that would have been acceptable to anyone here?

Which specific people should he have to run it by to get permission?  Should he make his life plans around what other people think?  Should anyone make life plans around what other people think outside of family members and extremely close friends?

LETTING a team draft him?  He didn't control where he went in the draft, that's not his fault.  What was he supposed to do, call every GM and say "Hey, don't draft me real high, I plan on quitting right before my 2nd season."  LETTING A TEAM DRAFT HIM?   What else can a prospect LET a team do?  

He didn't tell people to buy his jersey.  WTF am I going to do with my RG3 jersey?  (Just kidding, I don't have an RG3 jersey, thank Christ.  Haven't adults learned that buying a jersey of an active player is a risk?  Stick to the all-time greats, they aren't going anywhere.)

His teammates have to get another starting safety?  Which player didn't get reps in practice?  Were you there to see Deshazor and Nicholson NOT get reps?  Don't all football players have to deal with playing with guys who are suddenly thrust into a starting spot because someone else vacated it due to injury, or in this case (and more common around the NFL) sudden retirement?  Are these guys NOT professionals?  

45 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

At the end of the day, Su'a quitting football does not impact anything in my daily life other than me cheering/clapping for him on game day if he makes a play.  It doesn't take food off my table, put my career in danger, give me a purple nurple, etc.  

Youre absolutely right. But this drama did pose a threat to our seemingly great locker room chemistry if he tried coming back this year. I take issue when a players antics potentially effect the team I root for in a negative way. And he still is a threat to be a distraction with the fallout from the skins official decision yesterday.

2 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Youre absolutely right. But this drama did pose a threat to our seemingly great locker room chemistry if he tried coming back this year. I take issue when a players antics potentially effect the team I root for in a negative way. And he still is a threat to be a distraction with the fallout from the skins official decision yesterday.

While I see where you're coming from, I don't think something like this would divide a locker room.  If it did, then the chemistry wasn't that great to begin with.  Sure, it'd be a distraction and totally unnecessary but I don't think a 2nd year safety is going bust up any locker room.  What could happen, a locker room divided into guys that are in Cravens' camp and guys that aren't?  Maybe a bit of a disruption but this isn't a QB controversy or anything.  

Distraction, yes.  Locker room chemistry killer, no.  

45 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I hate to break it to you, but all athletes have an unhealthy appetite for likes and attention on social media.  Why do they all have social media accounts in the first place?  

I don't see how he disrespected the team, teammates and fanbase.  This is a guy who quit a job.  Albeit a highly public, well paying job, but still a job.  Now Lawrence Timmons, on the other hand, completely disrespected the Dolphins team and fanbase.  

Yes, most athletes have social media. Not all of them are attention whores. Most dont respond to, or care what fans have to say, good or bad. Su'a does.

if you cant see how his actions were at the very least disrespectful to the team and his teammates I really dont know what to tell you. It was every bit a smack in the face, immature, and unprofessional.

2 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Yes, most athletes have social media. Not all of them are attention whores. Most dont respond to, or care what fans have to say, good or bad. Su'a does.

if you cant see how his actions were at the very least disrespectful to the team and his teammates I really dont know what to tell you. It was every bit a smack in the face, immature, and unprofessional.

Welp, agree to disagree then.  Anyone who posts on social media with tens of thousands or even millions of followers...is an attention whore.  If they didn't care what fans have to say, they wouldn't be on a social media platform -something that directly connects them to fans- in the first place.  

And agree to disagree again.  I'm pretty sure his teammates aren't broken up about this.  In fact, I guarantee that we've spent more time talking about and thinking about this than they have.  

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What if he wasn't supposed to be a starter?  Would that be less disrespectful?   When should he have quit that would have been acceptable to anyone here?

Regardless of his position on the depth chart he cost other players valuable reps. He took the majority at 1st team SS in camp which has a trickle down effect, as there are limited reps to go around. Highly disrespectful to the guys who would KILL for more reps. Highly disrespectful to his starting FS who was prepping for a season with Cravens as his counterpart. Highly disrespectful to Deshazor Everett who would have appreciated the extra reps at a position he is still learning. Highly disrespectful to guys like Fish Smithson who maybe would have made the team and not the practice squad if he had more reps to showcase his abilities. Highly disrespectful to players who maybe dont have jobs now because they werent able to get enough reps to have enough tape out there for other teams to be interested in signing them after the preseason with the skins.

LETTING a team draft him?  He didn't control where he went in the draft, that's not his fault.  What was he supposed to do, call every GM and say "Hey, don't draft me real high, I plan on quitting right before my 2nd season."  LETTING A TEAM DRAFT HIM?   What else can a prospect LET a team do?  

Yes he didnt tell the Skins to draft him. But im sure he was in cahoots with USC to keep his previous stints of quitting on his teammates under wraps so as to not negatively impact his draft stock. Im also now certain that he mislead us and a ton of other teams about his extreme passion for the game, which we know is now false.

His teammates have to get another starting safety?  Which player didn't get reps in practice?  Were you there to see Deshazor and Nicholson NOT get reps?  Don't all football players have to deal with playing with guys who are suddenly thrust into a starting spot because someone else vacated it due to injury, or in this case (and more common around the NFL) sudden retirement?  Are these guys NOT professionals? 

Like I said, if you cant see how him quitting and the way he did it was disrespectful, or how many people it effected, I dont know what to tell you. 

I don't think his return would divide the locker room but it would welcome unnecessary awkwardness.  Most everyone I heard on the radio today with any knowledge about what's going on indicated that Doug spoke with Cravens at the USC game by chance, exchanged pleasantries and nothing about returning.  His agent then dropped a dime to Rappaport about him returning, the FO didn't like it, and then Su'a didn't even show up for the Skins later that day.  That was seen as disrespectful by folks in the FO and locker room and that was the final straw.  So yeah, Su'a has been disrespectful.

I think it's going a bit too far to be calling folks out about getting over this as if we're drunk and angry, putting holes in walls. It's a freaking message board about the team.  There is going to be discussion about it and given the circumstances it's not going to be good.  If D.C. lumber hops a flight to LA to egg his house, okay.  Until then I think it's okay to have an opinion about a team we all care entirely too much about on a message board that we all spend entirely too much time on.

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Welp, agree to disagree then.  Anyone who posts on social media with tens of thousands or even millions of followers...is an attention whore.  If they didn't care what fans have to say, they wouldn't be on a social media platform -something that directly connects them to fans- in the first place.

Couldnt be more wrong. There are so many other uses for social media, many positive in fact. Just because a person/athlete has a social media account doesnt automatically make them an attention whore. Thats absolutely ludicrous.

9 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Couldnt be more wrong. There are so many other uses for social media, many positive in fact. Just because a person/athlete has a social media account doesnt automatically make them an attention whore. Thats absolutely ludicrous.

Alright, I'm game.  What other uses does an athlete have for social media other than to show how cool they are and how much fun they're having?  Maybe for good causes and their foundations, that's all I can think of.  But most posts aren't regarding those issues.  

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Explain to me why this is a big deal.   My answer to you will be in what I already wrote.

To recap:  He's not that good and his replacement can be found easily.  They're professionals and understand this is a business.  Draft picks don't work out all the time for a myriad of reasons.

You can put a bow on a pile of ****, I won't. Guy was slated to start, the Hybrid hype, high pick, this smells like **** no matter what you think you have in your hands with your eyes glued shut. 

15 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Regardless of his position on the depth chart he cost other players valuable reps. He took the majority at 1st team SS in camp which has a trickle down effect, as there are limited reps to go around. Highly disrespectful to the guys who would KILL for more reps. Highly disrespectful to his starting FS who was prepping for a season with Cravens as his counterpart. Highly disrespectful to Deshazor Everett who would have appreciated the extra reps at a position he is still learning. Highly disrespectful to guys like Fish Smithson who maybe would have made the team and not the practice squad if he had more reps to showcase his abilities. Highly disrespectful to players who maybe dont have jobs now because they werent able to get enough reps to have enough tape out there for other teams to be interested in signing them after the preseason with the skins.

Yes he didnt tell the Skins to draft him. But im sure he was in cahoots with USC to keep his previous stints of quitting on his teammates under wraps so as to not negatively impact his draft stock. Im also now certain that he mislead us and a ton of other teams about his extreme passion for the game, which we know is now false.

Like I said, if you cant see how him quitting and the way he did it was disrespectful, or how many people it effected, I dont know what to tell you. 

Alright, the onus is on you to prove how valuable those reps are since this seems to be a major sticking point for you.  What's the extent of the trickle down effect?  How far behind is Deshazor Everett to be at replacement level to Su'a Cravens?  Disrespectful to guys who don't have jobs because they weren't able to get enough reps to have enough tape for other teams to sign them?  Really?  Where's the evidence?

Cahoots with USC to keep his previous stints of quitting on his teammates under wraps so it wouldn't negatively impact his draft status?  Can we call it Su'aGate?  I mean, why would USC even do anything like that, what are they to gain from it?  Where's your evidence?  

53 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

The reasons why he quit absolutely matter. And thats what makes this situation even worse. Can you remember a player who has retired or quit that didn't release or have his agent release a statement on situation? Multiple beat guys said on the radio today that its very strange that there has been radio silence from Cravens on the matter. But I dont expect the coward to release anything because like I said, I think he prefers the drama of the speculation.

Thats exactly the issue. Since we have been given zero clarity on the reasons behind all this, what myself and others are left to go on were his actions before and following his departure. HE painted himself in this light, im just voicing my opinion on what he has shown us. And I am grown thank you very much...but I guess its also easy to sit back on your sofa and try and turn this into an attack on MY character. I get up and handle my responsibilities unlike Su'a and refuse to not voice my opinion about having to raise my kids in a society that wants to coddle everyone and hand out participation trophys, tell people that quitting without 2 weeks notice is just fine if it makes you happy. 

And yes, If the reason he quit was his most recent injury it does look weak. Not going to apologize for that.

What I was trying to point out is that the attitude of the fanbase would have been a whole hell of a lot different if this was Galette who decided to walk away from the game after a second achilles tear that ends a season. 2 straight years of rehab takes mental toughness. Su'a was gonna miss what, a month tops? If you don't think that this didnt sit well with players in the locker room I don't know what to tell you. Because I can promise you what was said about it behind those closed doors was a whole hell of a lot more harsh than the PC statements they gave to the media about it. I mean if it got to the point where a team captain was already pulling him aside in practice, people were already growing tired and aggravated about it, just imagine adding an abrupt quit and them finding out via a cowardly text message.

And until we do? People are going to discuss it on a MESSAGE BOARD, on the topic created for the SPECIFIC TOPIC of Su'a Cravens quitting. If you think people are dragging on discussion too long about news that officially broke all of 24 hours ago there are plenty of other threads you could check out, bud. 

I'm not attacking your character and where did I say that I was fine with people quitting without working a 2 week notice?  I said that I didn't agree with the timing of his decision, nor the way he initially presented it while at the same time expressing that at the end of the day I could really give a **** about it at all as it doesn't impact my life, nor do I feel it's my place to tell another person how they should feel or handle situations.  

Again, the point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't impact you directly or me or any other fan other than not rooting for him on game day because he isn't there.  And that I think some people on here and in other social media platforms (without naming specific posters, general comments) were acting childish about it and that it was pathetic, again IMO (and was referencing those with really harsh hatred at the guy).  

And I'll read, post, debate in any thread I feel like............Bud.........

2 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

You can put a bow on a pile of ****, I won't. Guy was slated to start, the Hybrid hype, high pick, this smells like **** no matter what you think you have in your hands with your eyes glued shut. 

I'm not putting a bow on anything. 

I'll tell you exactly what this smells like.

Jealousy.

Out and out, pure jealousy.  

Jealousy from a group of adults who'd kill to play football in the NFL and do it for free.  Jealous of a guy who got drafted high, got paid pretty well, took a look at the NFL and after a year said "...yeah, this probably isn't for me."  Meanwhile we're all sitting here being keyboard warriors, questioning toughness and manhood and desire because we like to beat our chests and think that anyone who would quit the NFL so young and so early has to be a **** with out of whack priorities.  

I don't expect anyone to admit that, but that's what it smells like around here.  

50 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I didnt either. Which is why I was happy when the team shut him down for the year.

Except the thing is: the team just moved on yesterday. And moved on just for this year. It will most definitely be re-visited in the offseason.

As for Su'a, from all accounts he was going to try and return this week before the team nipped it in the bud because it was clearly a team distraction coming in like a freight train. 

It also sounds like there is potential for Su'a to make some noise legally over this and it remains to be seen what he is going to have to pay the team back.

Unfortunately for you, there are still elements of this to be discussed including developments that are still ongoing. Sorry you dont get to dictate what people deem discussion worthy around here?

Not trying to dictate anything.  I'm simply stating that I think it's childish for grown men to bash the guy with the type of hate they are.  You have your opinion of Su'a and I have my opinion of some of the hate posts I've read on here and on social media.  Agree to disagree.  

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not putting a bow on anything. 

I'll tell you exactly what this smells like.

Jealousy.

Out and out, pure jealousy.  

Jealousy from a group of adults who'd kill to play football in the NFL and do it for free.  Jealous of a guy who got drafted high, got paid pretty well, took a look at the NFL and after a year said "...yeah, this probably isn't for me."  Meanwhile we're all sitting here being keyboard warriors, questioning toughness and manhood and desire because we like to beat our chests and think that anyone who would quit the NFL so young and so early has to be a **** with out of whack priorities.  

I don't expect anyone to admit that, but that's what it smells like around here.  

LOL, Jelly? that's what your running with? 

It'd be one thing if he decided this at the end of the year last year, but he was rolling into the season as a starter on an NFL team, that's like showing up to the first board meeting as the CEO and saying you know, this ain't for me.....that don't cut it man. This speaks of one of two things, Kid ain't right, or the Kid ain't RIGHT. 

BTW, I don't hate the kid for doing it, hate that he did it, think he may regret it. For the team it absolutely smells like a hot pile of ****. Oh, and I am a fan of the team, not of the individual player and his feelings, etc. His Choi, is not my Choi. 

BTW, I don't hate the kid for doing it, hate that he did it, think he may regret it. For the team it absolutely smells like a hot pile of ****. Oh, and I am a fan of the team, not of the individual player and his feelings, etc. His Choi, is not my Choi. 

Archived