Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'll ask again, how long does the team retain his rights? What if he has a change of heart and wants to return but the team has no interest?  Can they shelf him again or are they forced to trade/release him?

When/if he returns to the Skins, it will be as if hes still in the second year of his rookie deal. Skins have full control of his rights.

The ideal scenario will be to revisit the situation in the offseason, see what his attitude is about playing. If he seems to have been humbled by the year off and is willing to earn back his roster spot and the respect/trust of his teammates and coaches you give him his one and only 2nd chance and see how he looks in camp.

He will most definitely be behind the 8-ball having spent a year away from football and his competition (Everett, Nicholson, McClure, Fish) will be that much further along in their development. If Nicholson or anyone else runs away with the starting job in his absence he would even face competition at dimebacker if Harvey-Clemons shows promise later this season at that spot.

He better stay in football shape and be ready to bring his A-game, be willing to play any safety spot OR dimebacker, AND be willing to play teams. You treat him as a completely new UDFA/low cost FA, out of respect for the veterans and players he quit on. Hes gotta win a spot outright. I wouldnt even let him start if it was a close call between him and someone else in a camp battle, id roll with the other guy and let him ride the bench until weeks 4-8. Let it eat at him so bad that hes hungrier to get on the field and thinks twice about ever giving up his spot ever again.

Him doing all of the above is very unlikely imo, and the chances of him playing another down for the Skins is slim. Point is, we hold his rights for the small chance he does turn his life around. He will play for us or not at all unless we cut or trade him.

If he shows ANY attitude or comes in expecting his roster spot be handed back to him or shows unwillingness to start at the bottom of the depth chart... see you later. Hopefully an entire season will help the league forget about this drama a little bit so we could fetch a draft pick or player in return if so.

50 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

He made another video on Twitter talking about the real fans versus the fake fans or something...

He continues to keep his reasoning ambiguous rather than addressing the issue like a man. First off, its disrespectful to call anyone who is simply confused/frustrated by his actions "fake fans". What he doesnt understand is that there would be a much smaller contingent of "haters/fake fans" if he helped those people understand. If he has the time to make these videos he just as easily could issue a short, concise statement/explanation to the media.

But no, he continues to show he has learned nothing. Yet another attention grab with him giving away these jerseys to the sorry few who will show up. I'd love if people boycotted the event but unfortunately JP Finlay has already said he will be attending, which pisses me off because the media attention is exactly what he wants. He sure spends a lot of time worrying about public perception for a guy who felt like he didnt need to explain himself. Get off twitter and tend to those serious "family/personal issues" bud. 

He clearly thought HE could decide when to return and just waltz back in Redskins park and have everyone welcome him back with open arms. He says "unfortunately I wont be able to play football for yall this year"... So he clearly wanted to come back. 

He might want to rethink his decision to not accept money for those jerseys. He may need the money considering theres a strong possibility he won't see another paycheck from an NFL team.

Free jerseys arent really a great deal when people can wait a week and buy them on clearance.

On the "fake fan" issue. Su'a ought to understand that most of us are fans of the team. We become fans of players because they are on our team. This is even more true for second year players. Cravens hasn't done enough on the field for him to be deified above the team. We do hold certain players above the team, but they tend to be the greats. For the Redskins, I suspect that list includes Riggo, Green, Monk, and maybe Sonny, Theismann, and Baugh. Then there are the revered groups like the Hogs and the Posse, but mostly we love them with the Redskins. Very few of us became a Jets fan when Art Monk played in Jersey. Very few of us follow players from team to team to team. Though maybe in these fantasy football days that's less true. Maybe the team is less important than the players.

Still, for me, it's not that they are "stars" but that they are Redskins' stars. I can appreciate the greats from other teams, but I'm not a fan of Tom Brady. I wouldn't buy a ticket to see Ben Roethlessburger play. Heck, I can't even be bothered to learn to spell his name right probably. Yet if I might go out of my way to shake Monte Coleman's hand or Jeff Bostic's. That's because I'm a fan of the team and they were part of some happy childhood and young adulthood memories.

He wants to retire right before the season starts, doesn't give a reason why, only giving us vague messages and then gets annoyed because people "question" it. Well, if you actually come out and say WHY you don't want to play, there will be no reason to question it. When you leave it blank, people are going to fill in that blank space.

I love when people say, "If Cravens comes back and balls out for the Redskins, the same people that are criticizing him now will be cheering for him."

Uh, yeah, exactly. Of course.

Because here's the deal, and I don't mean this to sound as negative as it does: I don't give a flying you know what about S'ua Cravens the human being. I don't know that guy. He doesn't know me. I want to make it clear that I wish him no ill will at all, but the only "connection" I have with him is player/fan. He plays for the team I've loved since I was a kid. I root for everyone who wears those colors-- and honestly, for mostly selfish reasons. I want the team to win for my own personal gain/enjoyment. Sure, over time, some players earn a little more "love" than that and they become somewhat legendary past their playing days. I met Gary Clark at a Rally in 2012 and was just thrilled about it because he was my favorite Redskin growing up. But when Clark played for the Cardinals after he left us, I totally and 100% rooted AGAINST him. I wanted him to catch zero passes when we played him.

I don't give a rats #(& about Cravens and what he says on social media. The same goes for almost all of the players. I really like Josh Norman for example, but I don't care what he had for breakfast or what his favorite color is.

So yeah, I think Cravens is being weak and soft in how he went about this and how he has handled it publicly. I also don't know what the problem is exactly so I don't judge there. And I truly do hope if he is having issues that he gets those worked out. I also hope regardless of football that he has a good life and finds happiness. I mean that. I have absolutely no reason to "hate" Cravens. I am, however, critical of how he has gone about this and I think it's OK to draw a few general conclusions here and at the very least assert that he is a drama queen and attention hound who is seeking some sort of weird public validation. Some may read this and say "I'm a hater." Well, OK then I guess.

And yeah, if he comes back next year and takes a pick six to the house to beat the Cowboys in OT, I will jump up and down and hoot and holler and scream and yell for him. And I'll be happy as heck that he did it. Because that is where this "relationship" begins and ends.

I don't care who wrings their hands over how fans react to this clown.

Somehow, newer generations have this notion that everything they do must be accepted and supported or someone's just 'hating".

Clue: not everything you do deserves respect. In fact, some things you do may cause people to lose any and all respect they may have had for you.

Like quitting on people who are counting on you at the very last minute.
Can't respect it, won't respect it, nothing about it deserves any respect at all.

if he's got propblems, ok, guarantee they didn't just pop up on cut day. Plenty of time to leave with your head up and with the respect of people who may not like it, but can accept it easier due to handling it with maturity and a nod towards giving your team and teammates adequate time to prepare without you.

But how and when? Not acceptable, and completely undeserving of respect, at least from me.

It's how a spoiled brat would handle it, and his public proclamations since make it clear to me that is what he is.  

~Bang

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

On the "fake fan" issue. Su'a ought to understand that most of us are fans of the team. We become fans of players because they are on our team. This is even more true for second year players. Cravens hasn't done enough on the field for him to be deified above the team. We do hold certain players above the team, but they tend to be the greats. For the Redskins, I suspect that list includes Riggo, Green, Monk, and maybe Sonny, Theismann, and Baugh. Then there are the revered groups like the Hogs and the Posse, but mostly we love them with the Redskins. Very few of us became a Jets fan when Art Monk played in Jersey. Very few of us follow players from team to team to team. Though maybe in these fantasy football days that's less true. Maybe the team is less important than the players.

Still, for me, it's not that they are "stars" but that they are Redskins' stars. I can appreciate the greats from other teams, but I'm not a fan of Tom Brady. I wouldn't buy a ticket to see Ben Roethlessburger play. Heck, I can't even be bothered to learn to spell his name right probably. Yet if I might go out of my way to shake Monte Coleman's hand or Jeff Bostic's. That's because I'm a fan of the team and they were part of some happy childhood and young adulthood memories.

I don't think that this could have been said better.  Well done, man.

We are fans of people wearing Redskins uniforms.  Seldolmly, and usually at the tail end of a career (Monk, Mitchell) we may revere them enough to keep some loyalty, but it's usually those who are done playing and literally can do no wrong since they are off the field, who get that eternal adoration.  Those you listed for those who are 40 and up (even though for the younger fans they're legends), and then players like Sean, Moss, or the other Gibbs 2.0 stars for the younger crowd.

When a player is wronged/underappreciated/should've stayed (Garcon, Clark), we can still wish them well in the league.  However, that doesn't eclipse our loyalty to the uniform, and I certainly wouldn't give two ****s about Garcon or Ryan Clark if they hadn't been on our team to begin with.

Cravens leaves a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth.  He didn't do enough to get any sort of loyalty, so he's also not important enough to hate.  He did, however, choose to wear 36 because of Sean, and that just rubs me the wrong way.  I'm not faulting the guy, it just doesn't feel right to do that and then peace out because, at least in part, of a lack of work ethic/love for the game which Sean had to an unbelievable degree.

TL;DR - Cravens isn't important enough to be a "hater" or "fake fan", because he's JAG in the burgundy and gold until he's not.

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Clue: not everything you do deserves respect. In fact, some things you do may cause people to lose any and all respect they may have had for you.

Like quitting on people who are counting on you at the very last minute.
Can't respect it, won't respect it, nothing about it deserves any respect at all.

This needs to be something that every single person is taught at a young age, and constantly reminded of.  Well said.

7 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I believe they retain his rights unless he retires or they release him. If he retires he has to return a prorated portion of his pre-paid bonus. If they release him, it's just dead-cap that they eat. In relative terms it's not a lot of money to the team, probably more so to him. Or he could wait till his contract runs out. But I think there are some rules around that too, like the Redskins have right of first refusal because he would be a restricted FA, not UFA.

It's in both sides best interest if he wants to still play football for him to come back to Washington. But if he just not interested in football then he should retire. I don't blame the Redskins for not releasing him. They have an investment in him and should be able to realize that investment if he plays football. If he doesn't because that's the best thing for him, he should just retire.

Either way at this point as a fan, I believe we need to just move on. He's gone, it's not our money and there is no reason to cry over spilled milk. It's done, so move on. It is what it is.

As a person I hope he works through his issues are and finds a way to be happy doing whatever it is he ends up doing.

Thanks for the info. I agree his days here are over. Just like you don't want to be in a foxhole with a soldier who enlisted for the free education you can't play football with guys who are not all in. And he will never earn the respect of his teammates.  I was just wondering if he made it clear that he wanted to play again what leverage the team had assuming they don't want him back.  I can't imagine the union will allow them to just freeze him out. 

20 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Long snapper kind of trolling him..... I mean this as an honest question, not being a smart aleck.... on his post, Cravens says he's giving the jerseys out for all of the fans that are "supporting" him. What are they supporting? I honestly don't understand.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think it's funny that he even mentions "I'm not selling them" as if they have value.  I think the fact that he's too cool to look at the camera as he's professing his love for the "true fans" says it all.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he could get by selling them. By this time next year, the Redskins team store will be selling their Su'a stock at 95% off. Better off just waiting. Plus, new jersey's won't smell like a quitter.

I love long snappers.  Ethan Albright was greatness.  His "response" (he DID not write it....but who gives a damn, he would have) goes down in NFL Madden retorts as the funniest ever conger-ed up.  Take a look & enjoy.  BTW, he made the pro-bowl the year he was the lowest ranked player, if memory serves me correctly.  Long snappers are the guys you want to hang with and pop tops with.  LOVE this...

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jokes/ethan-albright-strikes-back-a-letter-to-ea-sports/80474833/

13 hours ago, Gibbit said:

But hey to each his own, be a simple man Sua. At least you got to taste what us simple men dream of

“A wise man once told me family don’t end in blood, but it doesn’t start there either. Family cares about you, not what you can do for them. Family’s there through the good, bad, all of it. They got your back even when it hurts. That’s family....all I want for you my son is to be satisfied”

Archived