Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

I swear, people have no problem creating completely baseless, speculative storylines about situations involving the team so long as it paints a picture of organizational dysfunction and "same old redskins"... Be it with the Scot McCloughan firing, grading draft classes, harvest fest, etc. Its the cool thing to do. 

But people are connecting far more legitimate dots on this Su'a Cravens situation and its overreaction and insensitive?

Kirk's wife is due any day now. He's still here. Players put their lives on hold every year during the season and rarely miss time. If they do its typically a day or two from practice. Those players also stay in close communication with the team about those instances.

Su'a Cravens quit on his teammates in college. Some close to the situation cited immaturity.

Su'a Cravens went AWOL last season after his bicep injury for a day. Red flag that the behavior was rearing its ugly head yet again.

This year he waits until roster cut down day, when he OBVIOUSLY was mulling this decision weeks earlier in training camp (evident in the candid video of his sideline conversation with Will Compton) . The way he decides to inform his teammates was in a group chat, texting them "peace out" and exited the group.

I wouldnt be as harsh if this was the first time he pulled something like this. He WOULD be getting the benefit of the doubt from me and I'd take the claims of him potentially dealing with issues a lot more seriously.

Besides, if he really was dealing with serious personal/family issues... The team wouldnt have been so firm in their actions towards him. They'd risk huge backlash if they closed the door on a person dealing with a serious issue that required his undivided attention away from football.

Then in his insulting social media posts he stated that he "didnt feel like he needs to explain himself". Proceeds to spend his time away from the team fraternizing on the sidelines at USC (mind you, all he did was exchange pleasantries with the VP of his professional team that was also in attendance). Honestly the kid is so delusional I could've seen him asking Doug something like who he thought would win the USC game as if what he had done wasn't serious whatsoever. Then he doesn't even show up to support his teammates playing on the SAME FIELD...the. next. Day. 

Oh, and during all this he also had his agent inform the team that he would be returning to the team the upcoming week, casually of course.

Ian Rappoport is a highly respected NFL insider who is paid handsomely to be accurate in his reporting. He likely broke the news knowing what his agent relayed to the team. Because its spectacularly odd for anyone in his situation to have done so while having made ZERO contact with ANYONE within the organization about these plans. After QUITTING on his team and causing a huge stir of unwanted attention, he honestly thought he was just gonna stroll back into Redskins park. No big deal, nothing to see here. 

The team laughed at the audacity of this smug little prick, and after his actions over the weekend, decided to shut him down. You dont let someone like that who thinks they are above the rules, above the team, and above his teammates to dictate terms or force your hand. Again, if it was a serious personal or family matter, would the team really have included the bit about self reflection and passion for the game or whatever the exact words were in the press release? Think about it people.

If it walks like an ass, talks like an ass, what is Su'a Cravens most likely? Or do we want to keep ignoring the facts surrounding all this, give him the benefit of the doubt, and attack others for having strong feelings about such disgusting, disrespectful behavior?

While I respect the idea of giving someone the benefit of the doubt, this isnt a court of law... Its the court of opinion of a FANbase of a sports team. This fanbase has never had a problem spitting venom and vitriol about Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen without having all the facts on a situation before doing so. And you wanna know what people cite as their reasoning when I try proposing a contradicting theory that doesnt paint Dan and Bruce as incompetent, evil morons? PAST BEHAVIOR. So funny that past behavior doesn't apply here.

Better yet, I have seen worse words tossed around to describe innocent, hard working players like Ryan Grant just because they are popular amongst the fanbase to bash on. But Su'a Cravens? Nah, theres gotta be more to the story here, hold your tongue until we know 110% guys. What an absolute crock. 

The ONLY chance at salvaging our investment was by playing it exactly the way the Redskins did. Shut him down, hope that being forced to watch the game he loves so dearly from his couch gives him a much needed reality check, and hope that he returns to the team in the offseason humbled and willing to earn back the trust of his coaches and teammates all the way from the bottom of the depth chart.

17 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I swear, people have no problem creating completely baseless, speculative storylines about situations involving the team so long as it paints a picture of organizational dysfunction and "same old redskins"... Be it with the Scot McCloughan firing, grading draft classes, harvest fest, etc. Its the cool thing to do. 

But people are connecting far more legitimate dots on this Su'a Cravens situation and its overreaction and insensitive?

Kirk's wife is due any day now. He's still here. Players put their lives on hold every year during the season and rarely miss time. If they do its typically a day or two from practice. Those players also stay in close communication with the team about those instances.

Su'a Cravens quit on his teammates in college. Some close to the situation cited immaturity.

Su'a Cravens went AWOL last season after his bicep injury for a day. Red flag that the behavior was rearing its ugly head yet again.

This year he waits until roster cut down day, when he OBVIOUSLY was mulling this decision weeks earlier in training camp (evident in the candid video of his sideline conversation with Will Compton) . The way he decides to inform his teammates was in a group chat, texting them "peace out" and exited the group.

While I respect the idea of giving someone the benefit of the doubt, this isnt a court of law... Its the court of opinion of a FANbase of a sports team.

I wouldnt be as harsh if this was the first time he pulled something like this. He WOULD be getting the benefit of the doubt from me and I'd take the claims of him dealing with issues a lot more seriously.

Besides, if he really was dealing with serious personal/family issues... The team wouldnt have been so firm in their actions towards him. They'd risk huge backlash if they closed the door on a person dealing with a serious issue that required his undivided attention away from football.

Then in his insulting social media posts he stated that he "didnt feel like he needs to explain himself". Proceeds to spend his time away from the team fraternizing on the sidelines at USC (mind you, all he did was exchange pleasantries with the VP of his professional team that was also in attendance).

Honestly the kid is so delusional I could see him asking Doug who he thought would win the USC game as if what he had done wasn't serious whatsoever. Then he doesn't even show up to support his teammates playing on the SAME FIELD the next. Day. 

Oh, during all this he also had his agent inform the team that he would be returning to the team the upcoming week, casually of course. Ian Rappoport is a highly respected NFL insider who is paid handsomely to be accurate in his reporting. He likely broke the news knowing what his agent relayed to the team. Because its spectacularly odd for anyone in his situation to have done so while having made ZERO contact with ANYONE within the organization about these plans.

The team laughed at the audacity of this smug little prick, and after his actions over the weekend, decided to shut him down. You dont let someone like that who thinks they are above the rules, above the team, and above his teammates to dictate terms or force your hand. Again, if it was a serious personal or family matter, would the team really have included the bit about self reflection and passion for the game or whatever the exact words were in the press release? Think about it people.

If it walks like an ass, talks like an ass, what is Su'a Cravens most likely? Or do we want to keep ignoring the facts surrounding all this, give him the benefit of the doubt, and attack others for having strong feelings about such disgusting, disrespectful behavior?

The ONLY chance at salvaging our investment was by playing it exactly the way the Redskins did. Shut him down, hope that being forced to watch the game he loves so dearly from his couch gives him a much needed reality check, and hope that he returns to the team in the offseason humbled and willing to earn back the trust of his coaches and teammates all the way from the bottom of the depth chart.

While you didn't quote me you did say something about people feeling this is an over-reaction. Since I stated those exact words I have to assume your response was at least in part directed at me. So......

First, I agree the team has handled this perfectly. They had to shut him down. But I like that they gave him plenty of time to work things out. When it was clear he was not going to do that, they shut him down. I also like that fact that very little came out about it. No trashing the guy for no reason.

As for other guys getting a chance - he was injured (or being a head case, only he and the team know for sure) almost all of camp. Those guys got their chances. Also, since the team did handle it correctly, and Manusky was here last year so he knew Cravens already, don't you think he had a with and without strategy? Do you really think he just went along blindly thinking Cravens is going to be awesome?

As for giving him the benefit of the doubt, it's more I really don't care in terms of the team and only some as a person. I certainly for his sake hope he figures out what his issues are and finds a solution, but I am not losing any asleep either way. He doesn't want to play? Move on. But I can't blame the Redskins for trying and commend them for their handling of the situation.

I am trying to figure out why you angry so angry with him. He is a 2nd draft pick who never really contributed and has now given the team a way out of their 4 yr commitment to him. Did the timing suck? Yea, a little. But again I have faith that Manusky was prepared for this eventuality. Best thing to do is forget it and move on to Oakland with the guys that want to be here.

Sorry but I am just not seeing it as a big deal.

11 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You're right, good teams are built through the draft, but one draft pick walking away isn't going to kill a franchise, unless you traded multiple picks to get up and select a QB.  You'd be correct if multiple players walked away, that would REALLY kill their ability to obtain and develop a talented roster. 

Puzzling you don't understand that Su'a Cravens wasn't a lynchpin for any part of this team.  Oh my god, what if he goes to Dallas?  WHAT IF HE GOES TO DALLAS???  What if Su'a Cravens goes to Dallas, how will we cope??  OH MY GOD THE HORROR!!  THE POWER OF THE NFC EAST WILL HAVE SWUNG COMPLETELY TO DALLAS!  They'll be contenders for the next 5-10 years.  Best safety ever.  

First off there is no reason to shout.  Next you have no idea what kind of player Cravens can be, he could have been a ball hawking player who made game changing plays.  He certainly had that potential.  We don't know so your assumption that it's no big loss is premature.

Next nobody claimed this one lost pick will "kill the franchise".  I simply responded to your question asking why fans think this is a big deal.  I already explained it to you. Second round picks are very valuable, you expect them to be solid starters.  Know what you don't expect?  Your second round starting safety to simply quit a week before the opener.

I have no idea why you still don't get this.

19 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

First off there is no reason to shout.  Next you have no idea what kind of player Cravens can be, he could have been a ball hawking player who made game changing plays.  He certainly had that potential.  We don't know so your assumption that it's no big loss is premature.

Next nobody claimed this one lost pick will "kill the franchise".  I simply responded to your question asking why fans think this is a big deal.  I already explained it to you. Second round picks are very valuable, you expect them to be solid starters.  Know what you don't expect?  Your second round starting safety to simply quit a week before the opener.

I have no idea why you still don't get this.

I was being sarcastic ;) 

I get it, I just don't think it's a big deal.

In two weeks no one will be giving a **** about Su'a Cravens.  

This is my last post on the subject, I think we've all said everything we've needed to say and no one is changing anyone's mind here.

Wow. Typical attention whore move. Post a video that makes it seem like you are trashing jerseys to bait negative responses.

He knows damn well his body language doesn't convey that he is doing something nice and charitable, and is old enough to be aware of how it may look given the timing.

What a joke. The twitter response was spot on too. Who would want to wear his jersey anyway? 

Haha. I gotta put my confession out here really quick.

I already have his jersey. Ok, not the Jersey, more like a Nike T-shirt with his name and number 36 on the back. I liked his game lasy year, he seemed like a baller. I have to say now that I’m pretty dissapointed by his behavior, but also fairly conserned. The kid is lost. He needs to grow up and become a man, for sure also needs some guidance.

1 hour ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Wow. Typical attention whore move. Post a video that makes it seem like you are trashing jerseys to bait negative responses.

He knows damn well his body language doesn't convey that he is doing something nice and charitable, and is old enough to be aware of how it may look given the timing.

What a joke. The twitter response was spot on too. Who would want to wear his jersey anyway? 

Spot on analysis. He may ultimately wind up doing a nice thing by giving away jerseys for free and that's a nice thing to do. But CLEARLY the video isn't posted to try and spread the word about his upcoming charitable deed. You are right about his body language and tone. Oh and the numerous twitter responses encouraging him to "do you." The "do you" mentality is exactly the problem here... and elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'll ask again, how long does the team retain his rights? What if he has a change of heart and wants to return but the team has no interest?  Can they shelf him again or are they forced to trade/release him?

I believe they retain his rights unless he retires or they release him. If he retires he has to return a prorated portion of his pre-paid bonus. If they release him, it's just dead-cap that they eat. In relative terms it's not a lot of money to the team, probably more so to him. Or he could wait till his contract runs out. But I think there are some rules around that too, like the Redskins have right of first refusal because he would be a restricted FA, not UFA.

It's in both sides best interest if he wants to still play football for him to come back to Washington. But if he just not interested in football then he should retire. I don't blame the Redskins for not releasing him. They have an investment in him and should be able to realize that investment if he plays football. If he doesn't because that's the best thing for him, he should just retire.

Either way at this point as a fan, I believe we need to just move on. He's gone, it's not our money and there is no reason to cry over spilled milk. It's done, so move on. It is what it is.

As a person I hope he works through his issues are and finds a way to be happy doing whatever it is he ends up doing.

He made another video on Twitter talking about the real fans versus the fake fans or something. I don;'t think he's mentally ready for the spotlight of the NFL. Perhaps he would do better with a smaller market team with a dozen true fans (Jaguars). 

Su'a, I don't know what the hell happened to you but I hope you eventually get the help you need and find happiness.

Life is too short. 

Archived