Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

37 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not sure why the vitriol for this kid from some. There is nothing wrong with keeping him on the 90 man roster and let him compete. I would put him at the end of the depth chart. If he outplays guys and makes the team, fine. If not, cut him loose. We always talk about fair competition. Let him compete. If he earns his way through his actions then he deserves the roster spot, If not, cut him loose. There is really nothing for the team to lose here. 

What I find most interesting is the people tat hate him want him gone, say he is bad for the team, and then say the team should trade him. If he is all those things, exactly who is trading for him? 

I agree with this. Nobody here knows what this kid went through. Could've been significant enough to warrant being away from football for a brief period.......though his agent could've certainly advised him to inform the team in a much better fashion (never been a fan of Mikhail). Let's give him a chance and see what his level of commitment is like. It's easy to walk away and stay away. Injuries - particularly the kind he suffered - can make you reevaluate everything. But he obviously wants to play. I'd rather that he produce for us than for someone else. He would be working under a real defensive coordinator now, and would no doubt be used in a way that's consistent with his skill set. I'm interested in seeing what he can do back there.

2 minutes ago, Dan73 said:

Yes. I remember for a season or so after he would get nervous when defenses got close and make bad throws.

Palmer was established already having been a QB in the playoffs, he was dealing with a knee injury, and he was on a stable team.  Su'a Cravens is a 2nd year player, dealing with concussions (clearly going to be on the NFL's radar BIG TIME), who has not only gone AWOL on the Redskins, but did it at USC as well.  Not comparable imho.  

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Not sure why the vitriol for this kid from some. There is nothing wrong with keeping him on the 90 man roster and let him compete. I would put him at the end of the depth chart. If he outplays guys and makes the team, fine. If not, cut him loose. We always talk about fair competition. Let him compete. If he earns his way through his actions then he deserves the roster spot, If not, cut him loose. There is really nothing for the team to lose here. 

What I find most interesting is the people tat hate him want him gone, say he is bad for the team, and then say the team should trade him. If he is all those things, exactly who is trading for him? 

Cravens and the Redskins aren't like a regular relationship as the NFL is a business. This is the world of professional sports where you have to be able to trust your teammate next to you, and sure on a day to day basis you have to learn how to turn the other cheek from time to time to be able to let things go just like any relationship, but if a player is bad for the team you just move on. Teams don't have time to babysit players and so IMO this situation comes down to whether or not the Players want to deal with Cravens. Let it be their decision. They are the ones who have to deal with his crap. 

What the team can lose by giving him another chance is a lot actually. This guy quit on the team and from his actions thinks that he is special. Anyone on this board posting that we don't want him back or good riddance to Cravens is not hating him. It's called judging his actions and responding accordingly. Could he possibly turn things around and be a good player - absolutely, but the Redskins have to count the cost. Those of us who say he isn't worth the risk are recognizing that he quit on the team and acted like an immature toddler throwing a fit and then never took responsibility for his actions. So now that his life is in order and he's happy and ready to come back and play we should all be supportive and hold his hand. I'm sorry but he has a family and friends to do that. I wish him all the happiness in the world, but not at the expense of the Redskins locker room being torn

How he returns to the team would be important. If he asks to address the team, owns up to what he did and comes back ready to play then we should give him the chance. He is a 2nd round pick that we need to produce and if his attitude is right and we believe he will back it up then let's move forward and see how committed he is in mini-camp and other team stuff like lifting, etc....I also like the idea of having the defensive players input after they've spoken with him. If DJ Swearinger, Kerrigan and Norman are convinced that Cravens is ready to go then let's move forward with him and go to camp. 

6 minutes ago, CutPryorNow said:

Cravens and the Redskins aren't like a regular relationship as the NFL is a business. This is the world of professional sports where you have to be able to trust your teammate next to you, and sure on a day to day basis you have to learn how to turn the other cheek from time to time to be able to let things go just like any relationship, but if a player is bad for the team you just move on. Teams don't have time to babysit players and so IMO this situation comes down to whether or not the Players want to deal with Cravens or not. Let it be their decision. They are the ones who have to deal with his crap. 

What the team can lose by giving him another chance is a lot actually. This guy quit on the team and from his actions thinks that he is special. Anyone on this board posting that we don't want him back or good riddance to Cravens is not hating him. It's called judging his actions and responding accordingly. Could he possibly turn things around and be a good player - absolutely, but the Redskins have to count the cost. Those of us who say he isn't worth the risk are recognizing that he quit on the team and acted like an immature toddler throwing a fit and then never took responsibility for his actions. So now that his life is in order and he's happy and ready to come back and play we should all be supportive and hold his hand. I'm sorry but he has a family and friends to do that. I wish him all the happiness in the world, but not at the expense of the Redskins locker room being torn

So if someone sees it differently then they are not as informed??  Or is that we are not a good judge of people and circumstances?  :rofl89:I see exactly what he did. He is a kid who has done some stupid things. And no one is suggesting just putting him on the team and giving him a game day roster spot. And please stop with all the drama of - babysit him - turn the other cheek - hold his hand - and him having a bad impact on the locker room stuff. My point is purely pragmatic - not hand holding or turning the other cheek crap.

They spent a 2nd rd pick on this guy if you just cut him loose there you get absolutely nothing. Why not let him compete? You can cut him at any time. Put him through his paces. Push him hard. If he is just running his mouth he will crack quickly and you move on. If not, there is a lot of talent there. The coaches will be watching, If he shows any signs of not having not learned his lesson or not really being in it, cut him loose. No harm no foul. And before you say it takes a roster spot - the bottom 15 ot 20 are never sniffing the game-day roster on even the PS. They are camp bodies. Better to have a 2nd rd draft pick with some head baggage but great talent than some guy who has virtually zero chance of making the team. 

To the players - I can promise you that if gives them a better chance to win - they could care less what his baggage is. All they care about is winning football games. Also, with a mature locker room they will self manage punks. If he works hard and shows an honest effort they will help him. If he is still a punk they will make life hell for him and he will be gone. If one punk kid can have that much impact on 90 men and the coaches then they are weak minded idiots and need to be run out of the locker room themselves. 

Absolutely zero risk for the Redskins. Nothing to lose everything to gain for letting him compete. If nothing else he may may make others work harder then you can cut him. 

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

How he returns to the team would be important. If he asks to address the team, owns up to what he did and comes back ready to play then we should give him the chance. He is a 2nd round pick that we need to produce and if his attitude is right and we believe he will back it up then let's move forward and see how committed he is in mini-camp and other team stuff like lifting, etc....I also like the idea of having the defensive players input after they've spoken with him. If DJ Swearinger, Kerrigan and Norman are convinced that Cravens is ready to go then let's move forward with him and go to camp. 

This. It makes no sense to just cut him. Let him compete. If the locker room leaders so no, cut him loose. If he shows signs of previous stupidity cut him loose. But no reason not to let him stay on the 90 until you can kick the tires and see if he can help you win. 

55 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Palmer was established already having been a QB in the playoffs, he was dealing with a knee injury, and he was on a stable team.  Su'a Cravens is a 2nd year player, dealing with concussions (clearly going to be on the NFL's radar BIG TIME), who has not only gone AWOL on the Redskins, but did it at USC as well.  Not comparable imho.  

I don't know if you remember but after that things went down hill over the next few years with Palmer threatening to retire then got traded and did not play great but eventually had a resurgence. 

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

So if someone sees it differently then they are not as informed??  Or is that we are not a good judge of people and circumstances?  :rofl89:I see exactly what he did. He is a kid who has done some stupid things. And no one is suggesting just putting him on the team and giving him a game day roster spot. And please stop with all the drama of - babysit him - turn the other cheek - hold his hand - and him having a bad impact on the locker room stuff. My point is purely pragmatic - not hand holding or turning the other cheek crap.

They spent a 2nd rd pick on this guy if you just cut him loose there you get absolutely nothing. Why not let him compete? You can cut him at any time. Put him through his paces. Push him hard. If he is just running his mouth he will crack quickly and you move on. If not, there is a lot of talent there. The coaches will be watching, If he shows any signs of not having not learned his lesson or not really being in it, cut him loose. No harm no foul. And before you say it takes a roster spot - the bottom 15 ot 20 are never sniffing the game-day roster on even the PS. They are camp bodies. Better to have a 2nd rd draft pick with some head baggage but great talent than some guy who has virtually zero chance of making the team. 

To the players - I can promise you that if gives them a better chance to win - they could care less what his baggage is. All they care about is winning football games. Also, with a mature locker room they will self manage punks. If he works hard and shows an honest effort they will help him. If he is still a punk they will make life hell for him and he will be gone. If one punk kid can have that much impact on 90 men and the coaches then they are weak minded idiots and need to be run out of the locker room themselves. 

Absolutely zero risk for the Redskins. Nothing to lose everything to gain for letting him compete. If nothing else he may may make others work harder then you can cut him. 

Just matching the tone of your post...

Your scenario quoted above is one way it could turn out, and then there is another way. 

2 minutes ago, CutPryorNow said:

Just matching the tone of your post...

Your scenario quoted above is one way it could turn out, and then there is another way. 

Not sure how what you posted was matching the tone of my post. I wondered why the vitriol. If it was not from you, then you should have ignored it. But I have seen some more emotional than data supported statements which is what I was referring to.  

I saw no reason not to let him compete. Not sure what the other way is.  

2 minutes ago, Dan73 said:

I don't know if you remember but after that things went down hill over the next few years with Palmer threatening to retire then got traded and did not play great but eventually had a resurgence. 

I do...

but he's a QB, who had a proven track record, had always been viewed as team first, and was a leader in the NFL, with a knee injury. 

Cravens is a 

Safety, 2nd year player, who has already walked out on his College team, as well as his NFL one, who also got investigated for an incident with the police, who has publicly posted about his head trauma, and will forever be in concussion evaluation.  

My patience with Palmer would do multiple laps around my patience with Cravens...  

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I do...

but he's a QB, who had a proven track record, had always been viewed as team first, and was a leader in the NFL, with a knee injury. 

Cravens is a 

Safety, 2nd year player, who has already walked out on his College team, as well as his NFL one, who also got investigated for an incident with the police, who has publicly posted about his head trauma, and will forever be in concussion evaluation.  

My patience with Palmer would do multiple laps around my patience with Cravens...  

The team talked him out of retirement and the players voiced support for him so hopefully he comes back at 100 percent physically and mentally. 

I would rather a guy take a year and sort himself out rather then play without heart or enjoyment. 

16 minutes ago, Dan73 said:

The team talked him out of retirement and the players voiced support for him so hopefully he comes back at 100 percent physically and mentally. 

I would rather a guy take a year and sort himself out rather then play without heart or enjoyment. 

....:blink:

that right there tells me his heart ain't in it.  Walking away from the team multiple times tells me his heart ain't in it.  Having to get talked OUT of retirement at the age of 24 tells me his heart ain't in it.  

Grab a handful of veterans and let them go through a process with the kid to find out if his heart is into football or if he is still immature.

If we get past that then we have a player, if not then we cant afford to waste a roster spot on him.

Let's go through some due diligence first.

24 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

....:blink:

that right there tells me his heart ain't in it.  Walking away from the team multiple times tells me his heart ain't in it.  Having to get talked OUT of retirement at the age of 24 tells me his heart ain't in it.  

I guess that is what the team will sort out through OTAs and practices through the preseason. 

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Grab a handful of veterans and let them go through a process with the kid to find out if his heart is into football or if he is still immature.

If we get past that then we have a player, if not then we cant afford to waste a roster spot on him.

Let's go through some due diligence first.

I don't think Swearinger or Norman would stay silent if they don't see effort. 

5 minutes ago, Dan73 said:

I guess that is what the team will sort out through OTAs and practices through the preseason. 

I don't think Swearinger or Norman would stay silent if they don't see effort. 

I keep thinking about that video where Compton was telling Cravens to remove head from arce, teammates will always know and they don't necessarily have to be our star players.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I keep thinking about that video where Compton was telling Cravens to remove head from arce, teammates will always know and they don't necessarily have to be our star players.

I like the culture change. No one is above being called out. 

The only think I don't like about the whole thing was the timing of it all.  We don't know what goes on in people's heads or what their personal life and self being is.

I know the situations are different, but I am sure if Chris Borland asked for reinstatement, there would be a lineup of teams asking for his services.  Different situations but the point being is they left football and their team while under contract.  There is more to the story of Su'a that we will probably never know.

The kid should be given the chance to compete in training camp and possibly preseason if camp goes well.  The signs will point to his mental state.  No point in just getting rid of him without seeing if anything is there for him.

17 minutes ago, repo_4 said:

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/03/sua-cravens-retires-nfl/

"That response to injury wasn’t the first such instance in Cravens’ career. At one point, while playing at USC, he went missing for three days after getting hurt and considered quitting football, according to a person with knowledge of Cravens’ past."

Interesting.  Thank you.

People, please read Keim's thoughts on this today. He is ALWAYS the most grounded, reliable reporter on the Skins beat. The man has no agenda, and can always be counted on to convey what's really going on. He's also great at outlining options and the implications of those options. It's worth a read:

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35628/redskins-face-tough-decision-regarding-sua-cravens

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the kid has been through more than anybody on this message board knows.

I understand he was a 2nd round pick with upside so I'm fine bringing him in as long as the vets approve.  But the vitriol from the fans is certainly understandable. The audio with Compton tells the story.  It showed that the personal situation or family matter was like the SM excuse that he missed the combine because he was grieving his grandmother. No that's nonsense, the clip with Compton clearly showed he just didn't feel like playing football.   Now as I and many others predicted he regained his passion once the game checks ran out.  No surprise he want back in now. 

I would proceed with extreme caution, guy can't be counted on. 

I'm not sure the reason for all the discussion.  The Redskins have his rights, why wouldn't they let him compete.  Somebody must like him because they drafted him early.  I've been in a lot of locker rooms with guys I didn't like, but if they helped us win on the field we didn't have a problem.  Isn't the goal to put the guys on the field that give you the best chance to win?  Let him compete, see what he's got.  Then make a decision to keep, trade or release.

Archived