Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

5 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

Maybe the Democrats should figure out how to get Gavin Newsom for 2024 on the ticket.

I don't think we ready for some sort of Gavin+Cuomo ticket, but if either of them is the head of the ticket, I expect Pete to be right in there as a VP pick setting up for the future.

I like the idea floated around on some sort of "Avengers Assemble" approach to 2020, the Dems could help themselves a lot by saying out loud they want their best players running the executive branch, the polar opposite of what the GOP is doing.

"The best people" my ass...

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Honestly, he could be the first president to have the 25th amendment used on him.

Where do you even get this from? You act like he's just wandering around aimlessly muttering nonsense and can't string two sentences together. 

He talks like a 78yr old with a stuttering issue that causes him to have trouble finding his words sometimes. 

54 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I like the idea floated around on some sort of "Avengers Assemble" approach to 2020, the Dems could help themselves a lot by saying out loud they want their best players running the executive branch, the polar opposite of what the GOP is doing.

"The best people" my ass...

I don't know if this can actually happen but if he can announce his cabinet and you know what you are getting you can then spend the entire campaign contrasting not only Biden with Trump, but say Whitmer with Pence, Kamala with Barr, Mayor Pete as Ambassador to the UN or something etc

That would increase enthusiasm even more imo. 

25 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Where do you even get this from? You act like he's just wandering around aimlessly muttering nonsense and can't string two sentences together. 

He talks like a 78yr old with a stuttering issue that causes him to have trouble finding his words sometimes. 

Seriously i was wondering wtf he meant by that comment.  People have no idea how much Joe knows.  He improved America's image around the world.  Our govt is being laughed at right now from other major powers. 

23 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Seriously i was wondering wtf he meant by that comment.  People have no idea how much Joe knows.  He improved America's image around the world.  Our govt is being laughed at right now from other major powers. 

Hey, it's my opinion. I don't think he's mentally all there and it isn't his stuttering problem.  If he wins, you will find out after his presidency; just how much decline he really is.

Joe Biden is only the nominee because of Trump.  If Trump wasn't the nominee, he would've be gone no later than Iowa.

28 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Hey, it's my opinion. I don't think he's mentally all there and it isn't his stuttering problem.  If he wins, you will find out after his presidency; just how much decline he really is.

Joe Biden is only the nominee because of Trump.  If Trump wasn't the nominee, he would've be gone no later than Iowa.

Biden is the nominee because like HRC in 2016, he thumped Bernie with the actual voters.

We'll see if that translates better in November.  

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I think the Dem field being so weak is why Biden rolled. 

As far and mental issues. Trump's slurring and rambling makes Joe stuttering or misspeaking sound like JFKs inauguration speech. 

17 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I think the Dem field being so weak is why Biden rolled. 

I don't get this thinking.  What/who would have made the field stronger?  If anything, the problem was too many strong candidates. 

I don't know what exactly it says about the Dems or the Dem voters that they rallied around Biden as the guy to take on Trump.  This isn't like 2016 where was one centrist and one progressive. The voters had plenty of options, but they ended up going for a guy who has ran a few times before and never even sniffed the nomination. It's one thing to be wary of a progressive in a country that is more centrist, but there was a stage full of centrists, all seemed to be a better option than Biden.  Maybe "Obama's VP" gave him the familiarity and "safe" feeling from the voters that none of the other candidates were able to penetrate. 

I would be interested to see if Gavin Newsome could gain traction on the national level, I thought he had that "it" factor since being a local politician.  We may find out down the road, I am thinking he will want to serve at least a couple terms as CA governor first though. 

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

i Trust Joe to be the same people around him and listen.  Trump thinks he is the smart one in the room.  Joe knows what needs to be done and he will listen on ideas how to improve x and y. 

49 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I don't get this thinking.  What/who would have made the field stronger?  If anything, the problem was too many strong candidates. 

"Weak" I think translates into not a transformative candidate in the field like a Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, or Ron Reagan. I was hoping that Klobuchar would catch fire, but think she came off as too bland. And none of the others really had that "it" factor. And thus it came down to a name recognition thing, and who would be the best to stop Sanders.

I think Biden will be fine in debates against Trump, who is incoherent. But I think Trump ultimately does win reelection. 

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

It wasn't the candidates themselves, it was their campaigns and how they marketed themselves.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I don't know what exactly it says about the Dems or the Dem voters that they rallied around Biden as the guy to take on Trump.  This isn't like 2016 where was one centrist and one progressive. The voters had plenty of options, but they ended up going for a guy who has ran a few times before and never even sniffed the nomination. It's one thing to be wary of a progressive in a country that is more centrist, but there was a stage full of centrists, all seemed to be a better option than Biden.  Maybe "Obama's VP" gave him the familiarity and "safe" feeling from the voters that none of the other candidates were able to penetrate. 

I would be interested to see if Gavin Newsome could gain traction on the national level, I thought he had that "it" factor since being a local politician.  We may find out down the road, I am thinking he will want to serve at least a couple terms as CA governor first though. 

The other candidates couldn't compete with Biden's name value and African American support or Bernie's support from the left and money.  

4 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don't know if this can actually happen but if he can announce his cabinet and you know what you are getting you can then spend the entire campaign contrasting not only Biden with Trump, but say Whitmer with Pence, Kamala with Barr, Mayor Pete as Ambassador to the UN or something etc

That would increase enthusiasm even more imo. 

I want to believe a big reason we don't see that is because a bunch folks having to be careful what they say about the people they are replacing, sort of way Obama didn't blast Bush up and down while he was President elect. 

That's a lot of temptation given Biden is going to be given a pass considering how horrible Trump has been, could send mixed signals if the incoming Secretary of State was announcing policy changes before Congress getting to vet them. 

They could just say straight up they going to nuke the entire cabinet and put everyone acting, but that's breaking the rules to fix the rules, they shouldn't try to do that.

I think announcing certain folks as front runners for Biden nominating may be safe, as long as they act like it, if that makes any sense. 

Pete would make an interesting Secretary of State.  I wish Tulsi wasn't "present" id been eying her for Secretary of Defense for a minute before she finally threw up on herself while running for president. Damn shame, really.

4 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Just going from memory ("Mind like a steel sieve."), but I seem to remember a Presidential candidate mentioning a possible cabinet pick, and getting absolutely blasted for it.  Apparently, it's illegal for a candidate for office to offer any government position to anyone.  (Other than running mates, who have to be chosen, and listed on the ballot.)  

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

It was a really strong (and obviously really big) field. I'm not a fan, but even think about someone like Kirsten Gillibrand. She's a Senator from our 2nd largest state, a leader on women issues, someone who has been featured regularly on national programs, is good-looking... and she couldn't get close to even the top 10 in this race. 

Kamala, Beto, Booker, Castro. These were candidates who in normal election years would have seemed pretty enticing. This year, none of them made it to Iowa.

There were a lot of candidates. Thee were a bunch of really good ones. There's a madman in the White House and defeating him was the only thing people cared about. There was a progressive with a cult-like following who stopped the progressive who could have expanded on that base from consolidating. There were several moderates who split that wing. There was a pundit class that insisted on telling the party voters that only someone like Biden could win. 

A lot of things went on, some big, some small. But yeah, a "weak field" had nothing to do with anything.

4 hours ago, Larry said:

Just going from memory ("Mind like a steel sieve."), but I seem to remember a Presidential candidate mentioning a possible cabinet pick, and getting absolutely blasted for it.  Apparently, it's illegal for a candidate for office to offer any government position to anyone.  (Other than running mates, who have to be chosen, and listed on the ballot.)  

There is nothing illegal about saying who you would pick for your cabinet. It has generally been considered "presumptuous" to do so, but there is a pretty clear case this time for why to do so. We have a guy in there now who promised 'the best people' and then filled the government with incompetent and corrupt sycophants, some of whom he now calls "moron" "retarded" "wacky" and an "enemy of America", among others. I think voters would be happy to see someone prove their intent to fill posts with good and capable replacements. 

12 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

As far and mental issues. Trump's slurring and rambling makes Joe stuttering or misspeaking sound like JFKs inauguration speech. 

Kind of astounding that the initial lines of attack on Biden are inapropriate behavior towards women, age/ mental fitness, and corruption/ nepotism. In a debate any of these are easily flipped on Trump. Biden needs a dynamic exciting young running mate. Not somebody who won't upstage him like Kaine or Pence. His job is to end this madness and transition us to something new.

Archived