Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Republicans will ratchet up voter suppression for 2020 elections. This should be a Democrat campaign theme all year. Not how it affects Democrats and their goals. The message should be that Republicans are actively preventing U.S.citizens from exercising their right to register and vote, period. 

States have instituted vote by mail successfully. It works. Republicans don't want U.S. citizens to vote.

6 hours ago, Llevron said:

I still think that’s short sighted of him. I mean I get the want for diversity but Pete is the perfect fit imo. He walked that moderate line well enough to fit Biden, and he is young enough and previously liberal enough to maybe excite some of the more left leaning people. 

That and he just has hella potential as a politician and what better way to fix his minority problem than pair him with “Uncle Joe” who is apparently loved by the minorities? Missed opportunity on the Dems part not to put Pete in place for the next run imo. They should be thinking succession here not just beat Trump. 

It's hard to come up with even a mildly realistic VP pick who would be worse than Buttigieg. He adds absolutely nothing to the ticket, would anger the base, doesn't help in his home state, and would bring plenty of negatives from his ridiculous inexperience to his herculean flip-flopping.

And LOL at the idea that his being "previously liberal" is a positive. I'm trying to picture that sales pitch- "You know, before he proved he really has no policy principles at all, he was pretending to be kind of progressive, so, yeah, enjoy that, liberals".

23 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It's hard to come up with even a mildly realistic VP pick who would be worse than Buttigieg. He adds absolutely nothing to the ticket, would anger the base, doesn't help in his home state, and would bring plenty of negatives from his ridiculous inexperience to his herculean flip-flopping.

And LOL at the idea that his being "previously liberal" is a positive. I'm trying to picture that sales pitch- "You know, before he proved he really has no policy principles at all, he was pretending to be kind of progressive, so, yeah, enjoy that, liberals".

yea I can’t really argue all of that. I guess I’m just looking at potential and forgetting that most VPs actually have stuff to do. I’m more worried about the next dem administration than the possible Joe one, and that’s probably not smart. 

I don’t think the flip flopping is much more than noise honestly. Politicians do that all the time. Obama was super liberal at one point too and didn’t end up that way. They still love him. 

I dunno. I guess it’s not the best idea ever 

Still, Biden is favored. 55% of the national vote translates to a map that looks something like this, before adding any state-level polling information. (But once you do that things look much less blue, esp in the Midwest). Anything between ~150 & ~350 EVs for Trump is possible.

I could see Trump getting only 150 EVs, which would almost be  over half of what he got in 16.  I can't see him gaining EVs to go up to 350.  Trump wins, 

it's probably closer to Bush-Gore 271-267 numbers.  Joe would win back PA & MI only in that scenario.

If Joe wins, I think he wins by winning PA,MI & AZ. That would be a 280-258 win.   If it starts venturing into something more; then we are probably looking at a potential blowout win where in addition to PA,MI,AZ; Joe wins FL,GA,NC & TX. That would be a 378-160.  If he could somehow win OH, then that would jump to 396-142.

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I think Trump wins with about the same EC margin that W got over Kerry in 2004. Four more years of obnoxious tweets.....yay!

i'm more concerned with the very fabric of the country disintegrating as opposed to obnoxious tweets

21 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

i'm more concerned with the very fabric of the country disintegrating as opposed to obnoxious tweets

Somehow we'll survive. But point well taken. Back in my younger days, I used to react to others who said how much they dislike dealing with other people as just thinking they were grouches. After the last 3 years, I now understand where they were coming from.

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

Somehow we'll survive. But point well taken. Back in my younger days, I used to react to others who said how much they dislike dealing with other people as just thinking they were grouches. After the last 3 years, I now understand where they were coming from.

see i dont think we will survive another term. maybe we'll still be alive, but the country will be fundamentally broken and probably irrevocably within my lifetime.

13 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think he will hold Kamala for AG.

He should, she's better suited for that.  And Warren is probably better as the Sous Chef who actually runs the country, like Cheney did for Bush.  

Biden might not run for a second term, his VP has to be ready to work in case he doesn't finish his first. No Sarah Palins.

4 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

see i dont think we will survive another term. maybe we'll still be alive, but the country will be fundamentally broken and probably irrevocably within my lifetime.

We’d have a 7-2 conservative SCOTUS and all his appointees would be party activists under the age of 50. We’d be ****ed for the next 30 years at minimum. 

10 hours ago, visionary said:

If Biden loses to Trump there will be hell to pay for all of us.

Agreed. Still marvelling at the notion that there will be time to puff ones chest out for many, like there was last time.

Biden winning greatly determines how many of our lives (and our future ancestors lives) are going to go.

7 hours ago, Llevron said:

yea I can’t really argue all of that. I guess I’m just looking at potential and forgetting that most VPs actually have stuff to do. I’m more worried about the next dem administration than the possible Joe one, and that’s probably not smart. 

I don’t think the flip flopping is much more than noise honestly. Politicians do that all the time. Obama was super liberal at one point too and didn’t end up that way. They still love him. 

I dunno. I guess it’s not the best idea ever 

I totally agree with what Markos Moulitsas has been saying, the running mate's number one job (by a lot) is to get the ticket elected. There are literally dozens of people Biden could choose that will be qualified and capable. But none of that matters is he doesn't win. It's really the only qualification to be considered.

I don't agree with that qualification of Obama at all. He was never really "super liberal", he always closer to moderate than progressive. And I never buy into lazy "they all do it" 

narratives, which just give free passes to politicians for their actions. And there is a huge difference between people who eventually come to new realizations or adjust to new information to evolve positions and a gy like Buttigieg, who, on the primary issue of the campaign, literally went from angrily attacking anyone who suggested he wasn't in favor of the far-left's position to using Republican talking points to disparage the same position within a couple of months after he decided tacking to the center gave him abetter shot at winning, among other large changes of opinion of his.

I'm also not really onboard with (and this isn't really directed at you, mainly) the idea that we need to let Biden in effect pick the nest democratic nominee. That seems to be where all these discussions go- that Biden has to pick a VP who will succeed him. For one thing, apart from Bush 41, the last sitting VP to win a Presidential election was, I believe, Martin Van Buren. And they usually end up nominated, but not winning the general, which kind of highlights the questionable nature of picking a Veep with the idea that she'll automatically be the nominee next time. Secondly, I (like many, many, many people) will be hiding my nose and voting for Biden to be Present for (hopefully just) 4 years. No way am I going to cede my judegemtn on who should be the party's standard bearers should be for the following 8 to the guy.

7 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I could see Trump getting only 150 EVs, which would almost be  over half of what he got in 16.  I can't see him gaining EVs to go up to 350.  Trump wins, 

it's probably closer to Bush-Gore 271-267 numbers.  Joe would win back PA & MI only in that scenario.

I hope the 350 number was used as hyperbole, at least to some extent. To get to 348, Trump would have to hold everything from last time, flip his 3 fairly close losses (Minnesota, Nevada, NH) and also have to have to gain 5-6% in two other states (Colorado and Virginia). All from 5 states that are becoming bluer (Minnesota is debatable, but it's a traditional blue state that certainly swung back hard that way in 2018).

I don't see how anyone can seriously be projecting that as something that's even remotely in play. I mean, miracles can happen, but that's not what projection models are supposed to be forecasting. 

6 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Nixon was Ike's VP. He just didn't win the next election.

He didn't win the Presidential election as a sitting VP. Lots of VPs eventually became President, but we're talking about someone being picked to specifically win an election that way.

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

He should, she's better suited for that.  And Warren is probably better as the Sous Chef who actually runs the country, like Cheney did for Bush.  

Biden might not run for a second term, his VP has to be ready to work in case he doesn't finish his first. No Sarah Palins.

Maybe the Democrats should figure out how to get Gavin Newsom for 2024 on the ticket.

Joe, if he serves his full term; will not run for re-election. Honestly, he could be the first president to have the 25th amendment used on him.

His Veep will not be handed the nomination. She will have to run against the other Democratic candidates; like Papa Bush did.

Even if she has to fill out Joe’s term; the progressives will run a candidate against her.

I still don't fully get the anti-Biden memory/intellect argument. And I've yet to see anything that makes me think Biden is truly limited intellectually. Does he misspeak occasionally? Sure. Doesn't everyone? I'm 45 and like to think I'm occasionally somewhat intelligent.. and I occasionally forgot words and facts, especially when speaking quickly. That's more human nature than a sign of anything wrong,  I'd hope.

And yes, the creepy uncle Joe videos are awful to watch. What was he thinking is something that should be asked...but tbf I'd still prefer him over the confirmed racist bigot and actual multi-time accused rapist Trump. 

Archived