Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

On 5/23/2018 at 9:30 PM, Springfield said:

I started reading over some earlier posts in this thread to find out how we got here.  Here’s one from me from nearly a year ago.  I think I did pretty well.

Meh, anybody can go back and find a post so that they can toot their own horn.  Shoot, I think my reply.to your post was to.say losing Schmidt was no big deal, and that we could still be considered the best team in hockey of we could just find a way to beat the pens.

Buts that not nearly as much fun as going back and funning the dumbest or most regrettable post you made.  SAli457180   already did the job for me in pointing out my suggestion to tradi Ovi Backstrom and Holtby, and I second his motion, that was a doozy.  

How about you, got any self nominations for "it was the alcohol" post of the year?

12 hours ago, Zazzaro703 said:

This is why:

When the Flower is on, he is one of the best in the business. Other than game 1 WCF, his save percentage games 2-5 was like an average of around .950. He has stone walled us in the past, including last seasons 2-0 29 save shutout in game 7. We have also lit him up at times, it all just depends on which Fleury shows up. He plays 4 games against us like his previous 4 against the Jets, I hope Holtby can notch another few shutouts because we will need them to win 1-0. I'm not saying we cannot beat him in a best of 7, but it's likely he steals a game or two at least for the Knights unless we get more shutouts. 

I was knocking on Holtby for his lack of shutouts and boy am I glad they came when they did. Other than the Boston series, he hadn't really stolen us a series like he just did not allowing a goal in the last 8 periods. Stolen might not be the right word because the rest of the team played well, but you can't win if you don't score so Tampa didn't even have a chance because of Holtby. I hope this is the Holtby that shows up for the SCF. He's been great and his play is what you need to go all the way which he hasn't had in playoffs past. We are getting a lot more scoring this year which I think is helping Holtby relax. Normally most nights we were good for 1-2 goals and the pressure was always on him to be perfect. Pretty much everyone on the ice has contributed this year now that Bura lit the lamp twice last night.

Man this entire fanbase suffers from a pathological underappreciation of Holtby, who in the words of TSN hockey analysts, is the best goalie if this generation.

He might have only stolen one or two series for us, but Holtby has had several series stolen from him.  To understand what I meant by that, consider these facts.  Holtby has the lowest playoff GAA, and the highest save percentage of any goalie in the modern era, with a.minimum of 50 games .  All time, his save percentage is eclipsd only by a guy that I think had his career cut short by WWII, and another guy that was born in  the1800s. Which has.what had.made the lack of succss  so inexplicable, you'e. supposed to whom a.couple of cups with those kinda numbers.  Hopefully he still will, the era of the inexplicable is over  

Part of me wishes I waited, part of me is too excited to even care. My buddies including myself got sorta impatient  and wanted to pull the trigger. I work hard and make decent money so it’s just a drop in the bucket, first finals home game for a DC sports team. It’s going to be insane there, cannot wait. I also lucked out because my girlfriend will be in Bermuda for a bachelorette party that weekend, saved me 850 bucks :)

5 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Part of me wishes I waited, part of me is too excited to even care. My buddies including myself got sorta impatient  and wanted to pull the trigger. I work hard and make decent money so it’s just a drop in the bucket, first finals home game for a DC sports team. It’s going to be insane there, cannot wait. I also lucked out because my girlfriend will be in Bermuda for a bachelorette party that weekend, saved me 850 bucks :)

Who cares? You're representing, and that's what matters. ???

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Part of me wishes there was a Game 8 tonight, just so I could watch us beat the tar outta the Lightning again!

I can hear NBC and all the pundits now...

"Even though Washington has won the series 4 games to 3, I really like Tampa Bay here"

2 hours ago, Koala said:

Man this entire fanbase suffers from a pathological underappreciation of Holtby, who in the words of TSN hockey analysts, is the best goalie if this generation.

Agreed. So many times I’ve felt like they’ve lost because their defense has hung him out to dry. 

Im not a hockey expert so, I never really bother to argue it. It’s just his things appear to me

29 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Part of me wishes there was a Game 8 tonight, just so I could watch us beat the tar outta the Lightning again!

Id be happy watching Wilson just beat another one senseless 

40 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

I can hear NBC and all the pundits now...

"Even though Washington has won the series 4 games to 3, I really like Tampa Bay here"

Nah, they'd talk about Pittsburgh instead.  I lost count of how many times Pierre brought them up in game 7.

37 minutes ago, tshile said:

Agreed. So many times I’ve felt like they’ve lost because their defense has hung him out to dry. 

Im not a hockey expert so, I never really bother to argue it. It’s just his things appear to me

That's what I've noticed, too, the few times I've been able to actually watch the Caps. He's a damn fine goalie but either because the Caps can be kinda streaky with their scoring, they leave him in tough positions. 

A D.C. team leaning too heavily on their talented battery because of inconsistent offense. Where have I heard this one before? 

aD_7uUOM.jpghere oh where have I heard this before?

15 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

A D.C. team leaning too heavily on their talented battery because of inconsistent offense. Where have I heard this one before? 

not just that, but our defense is outright lazy at times (or has been.)

is it really holtby's fault if the defender screws up clearing an easy clear that should never be missed, and someone from the other team onetime's it past him?

i feel like majority of the "come on holtby..." moments are things like that. the defense screws up an easy clear, or just doesn't put any effort into defending the area, or just someone neglects to do a basic duty for the position.

yes it would be nice if holtby stopped all those too but really he shouldn't even see those shots...

9 hours ago, Koala said:

Meh, anybody can go back and find a post so that they can toot their own horn.  Shoot, I think my reply.to your post was to.say losing Schmidt was no big deal, and that we could still be considered the best team in hockey of we could just find a way to beat the pens.

Buts that not nearly as much fun as going back and funning the dumbest or most regrettable post you made.  SAli457180   already did the job for me in pointing out my suggestion to tradi Ovi Backstrom and Holtby, and I second his motion, that was a doozy.  

How about you, got any self nominations for "it was the alcohol" post of the year?

I think that was the closest that I got to meltdown all season.  Man that was bad.

On 10/16/2017 at 10:07 AM, Kurd Cudins said:

We can not win in the playoffs with Orpik or Carlson on our second pairing. Orpik is too slow and Carlson is too bad at everything. To have a successful year we need Djoos/Bowey to continue to develop so that if we do get a playoff spot, they can step up. GMBM has lost my confidence.

This was my first addition to this year's thread. I stand by it's overall message. It's amazing how Djoos and Kempny have balanced the D. GMBM has regained some trust. It looks like re-signing Carlson will be impossible though.

36 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Flying into Orlando tomorrow morning for some facetime with my special lady friend.

Should I, uh...wear my ROCK THE RED T-shirt for the flight?!?

Is that even question? Sock it to those redneck bozos!

I'll be wearing my #8 jersey on Monday, out here in the middle of flyer country (Phoenixville PA). Prepared to take some flak, but I'm ready to defend the Caps honor!

3 hours ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

Totally off topic but I cannot find an answer ANYWHERE: Is there a way to change your username on HFBoards? I just registered for the first time (I only read there), and I biffed and put my real name. Not cool.

pm a mod

it is possible

specifically pm SoupyFin or SniperHf

4 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Spoke to my STH friend 

the presale starting on Tuesday will be based on dynamic pricing depending on demand per section. 

so some of my old associates from VT trying to buy 200 level tickets with me so I'll see how that affects things.

Person: "Isn't that bad luck?"

Ovi: *goes on rollercoaster with trophy*

Person: "maybe you should stop-"

Ovi: *solves mystery of the old haunted mill with trophy*

Person: "I really think that-"

Ovi: *stars in buddy cop movie with the trophy*

Archived