Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

I live in the Charlotte area. Was at Stonecrest shopping center listening to live music last night.

Saw someone with a Capitals t-shirt on. His wife (guessing) had on Nats shorts. 

I pointed at his shirt and gave him a fist pump. Not sure if it is anyone in here. 

I know a couple of Skins fans live in this area. If it’s you, that was me.

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 7:13 PM, hail2skins said:

Beerhaus sign near T-Mobile Arena. Vegas getting vicious:

Maybe it shouldn't but this really rubs me the wrong way 

The Capitals have been playing hockey since 1974 not since this past October the Capitals have retired numbers and have hall of fame players and such a rich playoff history maybe not all winning but some of the most iconic and epic playoff series in the NHL of all time

So some 1 year wonder can just walk in and talk trash like this? Wow just Wow

Who calls your games on radio Vegas?

Whomever it is wouldn't be qualified to scrape the dog poo off the bottom of RonWeber's shoes

13 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

NHLN on and it’s media day. 90% all about Vegas. Been watching for 20 minutes and zero mention of us.

That's fine.  Vegas has done something pretty amazing their inaugural season.  They've dominated their opponents and have MAF who's been great in the playoffs. That said, they haven't really been battle tested like the Caps.  No real adversity like being down 0-2 and 3-2.  We'll see what happens when they run in to the Caps tomorrow night.  I say the series goes 7 maybe 6

1 hour ago, c slag said:

The Capitals have been playing hockey since 1974 not since this past October the Capitals have retired numbers and have hall of fame players and such a rich playoff history maybe not all winning but some of the most iconic and epic playoff series in the NHL of all time

Unfortunately, according to a recent article in the WaPo, when the Caps had their only other Cup run 20 years ago, they had trouble selling out MCI Center for playoff games and the SCF games played here were overrun by Red Wings fans. Why was that? It seems like the Caps had developed a solid fanbase at Capital Center. Did they lose some of that when they moved downtown (I assume that ticket prices increased with the move)? Just curious to hear longtime Caps fans take on this. 

43 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Unfortunately, according to a recent article in the WaPo, when the Caps had their only other Cup run 20 years ago, they had trouble selling out MCI Center for playoff games and the SCF games played here were overrun by Red Wings fans. Why was that? It seems like the Caps had developed a solid fanbase at Capital Center. Did they lose some of that when they moved downtown (I assume that ticket prices increased with the move)? Just curious to hear longtime Caps fans take on this. 

Susan O’Malley completely botched that SCF

game 5 vs the Sabres was sold out and packed and 10 days later MCI Center is filled with Red Wings fans? She sold out the fan base, cut deals with Detroit ticket brokers & travel agents and wala we had half Wings fans in games 3/4 

10 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Susan O’Malley completely botched that SCF

game 5 vs the Sabres was sold out and packed and 10 days later MCI Center is filled with Red Wings fans? She sold out the fan base, cut deals with Detroit ticket brokers & travel agents and wala we had half Wings fans in games 3/4 

It was packed and loud vs.Sabers and I remember turning around and seeing Bill Clinton in the luxury box waving to the fans

Exciting times 

This is it. I remember feeling sort of this way Tuesday June 9th, 1998. It was a little different because we were playing Red Wings, but I thought hey it's hockey anything can happen. I cannot even believe that not only would we get swept by one of the power house teams of NHL history in our only final appearance, but it would take 20 years to even get another chance at the cup. Finally, It's our turn again and the cup is within sight and reach at the end of just one more 7 game series. The red hot goalie is the final playoff demon left in the way.

The Capitals have to get it done this time, these chances are just too fleeting. Hell, it might even show the Nationals that it's possible for them to get out of the first round and win a title too. Its good they open on the road so they can just get into that away game mode where they play loose, free and simple. I'm so hyped for this game tonight. Enjoy your day everyone, it's not everyday a Washington team is playing for the championship.

To think - this squad's on the cusp of winning its first SCF match in its entire history. Even if it isn't tonight - it'll be soon. Unless things go horribly wrong, there's no way this team goes out like the 1998 bunch. 

Excuse the sports cliche but I really hope the Caps play *their game* tonight instead of trying to mimic Vegas. Hit 'em hard and make The Flower wilt under a barrage of shots.

In each of its first home games in the respective series VGK has struck quickly, inside of the first five minutes.  Caps withstanding that initial onslaught would bode well for them. 

I personally predict VGK takes Game 1, but Caps take next four games to win their first Cup.  But all games will be nail biters, including a couple that go to OT.  

I think the Vegas home stand splits too but I'm not sure about tonight. As you mentioned, @hail2skins those first few minutes will be important. They've scored early but so have the Caps. Even if MAF is God Mode (TM) early on, get him on his toes early.

If the Caps can get out ahead early, there's a party on 8th & F tonight but this Caps team doesn't fold after getting hit first. 

Those first 5 minutes or so will be extremely important.

I wonder what cringe worthy pregame nonsense Vegas is going to bless us with. For some reason, Hockey puts on these ridiculously cheese openings like no other sport I've ever seen put on. Behold the Senators opening. Could you even imagine being a hockey player trying to get in the mindset to play a high stakes playoff game and having to stand there during this? Especially having to line the hallway while this idiot walked past them? If the Capitals did this and I was in the arena I'd boo. Just watch the :49 mark as the audio cuts out and he clips his helmet drawing the sword.

4 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Yeah but I can let the GK's theatrics slide. it's Vegas, after all. Of course there's gonna be a little kitsch to it. They're not gonna be as hard nosed and straight-ahead as we are on the east coast.

Being that it's Vegas one would hope since the city is all about this type of entertainment they would be able to do something good. The bar is pretty low.

Just realized we clinched all three rounds on the road. Road Warriors!

I like that Kuzy is shooting the puck. This is what we’ve been asking for from him.

Oshie waking up for the playoffs helped too.

Nervous, but excited. Will need to take a nap to stay up and watch the game. 

14 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

That's fine.  Vegas has done something pretty amazing their inaugural season.  They've dominated their opponents and have MAF who's been great in the playoffs. That said, they haven't really been battle tested like the Caps.  No real adversity like being down 0-2 and 3-2.  We'll see what happens when they run in to the Caps tomorrow night.  I say the series goes 7 maybe 6

And if it does go that long, that plays right into our hands. Vegas is 12-3 in the playoffs. That haven't been tested at all. 

Bizarre thought of the day: why do they always play that Gary Glitter "Rock and Roll" song at hockey games? That has to be the worst pop song ever written. Sounds likes it's being sung by a bunch of drunks. 

Archived