Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

On way to a client this morning I put the address in my GPS. When the GPS said make left turn on Wilson Blvd. It put a big grin on my face. What a great feeling to have the next day when your team wins and Wilson beating the crap out of Coburn on the way to the Cup. :) 

27 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I do question if the Vegas fans will show up in 5 years when the team ultimately falls apart due to a lack of a farm system. 

But they seem to enjoy the team and they put on a good show pregame (and on ice). Even if they ripped the Sharks off with their ideas.

The problem for Vegas, in particular if they win the Cup is what is next? You can't ever top this, so how do you keep fans coming back?

A big part of fandom is anticipation and imagining what it will feel like to win the big one. 

15 minutes ago, zskins said:

On way to a client this morning I put the address in my GPS. When the GPS said make left turn on Wilson Blvd. It put a big grin on my face. What a great feeling to have the next day when your team wins and Wilson beating the crap out of Coburn on the way to the Cup. :) 

Somebody should make a bunch of "Tom" signs and tape them onto the front of all Arlington's Wilson Boulevard street signs so they all read "Tom Wilson Boulevard."

18 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

The problem for Vegas, in particular if they win the Cup is what is next? You can't ever top this, so how do you keep fans coming back?

A big part of fandom is anticipation and imagining what it will feel like to win the big one. 

It's the suffering that makes it taste sweeter. Although..speaking from experience with the Giants in MLB, the 2nd and 3rd were just as nice. 

?

32 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

That's the thing. They don't deserve it. There is no victory without sacrifice and they've sacrificed nothing.

There is no fear factor here. Its Vegas. This isn't the Russian 5 Red Wings or Patrick Roy's Avalanche. Its Las freaking Vegas.

Its time to slay the Fleury dragon.

21 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

It's the suffering that makes it taste sweeter. Although..speaking from experience with the Giants in MLB, the 2nd and 3rd were just as nice. 

?

Yes and no...I was born into what felt like NFL royalty and became aware of the Redskins right as they won their first Super Bowl. I assume that was much sweeter for fans who had been with them since the 60s and 70s, but it was magical to me. To the point above, I was ELATED in 1987 when they did it again and even more beside myself when they had their magical run in 1991. 

Just now, Popeman38 said:

Right now?  $800.  By next Thursday?  Probably closer to $500.

That's basically the conversation my group is having.

We have some season ticket holders... hoping they can snag some through their access. We'll see.

6 minutes ago, VeroViper said:

I'm not a hardcore hockey fan, I just watch the playoffs. So how in the hell did Vegas end up in the final? Meaning how were they allowed to be this good year 1? Is this the NHL's fault, wizardry by the GM, a lot of luck? 

The NHL changed the draft rules that really gave Vegas an advantage previous expansion teams didnt have. 

12 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

The NHL changed the draft rules that really gave Vegas an advantage previous expansion teams didnt have. 

They also hired above average coaches and front office guys. Vegas also played other teams by offering to take contracts off of other teams hands if they made favorable trades for other players.

Above all else, the guys on the Vegas team all played with a chip and were consistently a top 5 team this year.

I don't understand what the fear is about Fleury. Wasn't he terrible just a couple of seasons ago? Weren't Pittsburgh fans all over him,

claiming he was a playoff choker and demanding his release? And didn't Matt Murray eventually win his job? 

Sorry I cannot be intimidated by Fleury. He might be on a little bit of a hot streak atm but that is all it is, a streak. OV and Co will bring him

crashing back down to earth.

47 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Right now?  $800.  By next Thursday?  Probably closer to $500.

Yeah, I was thinking about trying for game 4, but I don't think I could afford that. 

I still regret not being able to go to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1998. I had tickets to game 6, but of course...that game didn't happen. Haha. I still have my unused ticket somewhere.   

5 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

I don't understand what the fear is about Fleury. Wasn't he terrible just a couple of seasons ago? Weren't Pittsburgh fans all over him,

claiming he was a playoff choker and demanding his release? And didn't Matt Murray eventually win his job? 

Sorry I cannot be intimidated by Fleury. He might be on a little bit of a hot streak atm but that is all it is, a streak. OV and Co will bring him

crashing back down to earth.

Well he has a few shutouts this post season.

...but now Holtby does too.  Two in a row, going into this series.

Make it about Flower, I like that.  Keep the Caps as the underdog.

Before yesterday's game, I figured if the Caps moved on it would be the Golden Knights in 6. But after the last two games where the Caps seized on scoring opportunities, scored early, and beat up on the Bolts (especially last night), I don't know if I can pick this one at all.

If the Caps win, I'd love to see it happen at home - the arena will be deafening. But if Vegas wins, I really hope they don't do it at our place. I hate seeing footage of Steve Yzerman skating around the MCI Center rink with the Cup while the few remaining Caps fan look on in abject sadness. 

Archived